AutoGuide: A4 or TLX Poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 07:49 PM
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
I've owned 3 Acura and 1 Honda since 1995. The only cars I have purchased. I believe in brand loyalty and loved what I have purchased in the past. My current 2010 TSX is by far the most reliable car I've own. I've been planning for over a year to purchase a new car in the spring/summer of 2018. Ive done a lot of research on the TLX. But I can not bring myself to purchase it. I just don't like the looks of the car. And believe me, I've tried to get myself to like it. Also the navigation graphics are terrible. I have also done a lot of research on the A4 and it will probably be my purchase. It's classic styling and tech are what I'm looking for. The 2.4 turbo is also very responsive and quick. The ASpec is definitely a step in the right direction and I will test it when it comes to my dealer. But I think just slapping on some plastic molding and updating some interior won't do it for me. And I'm thinking the cost of an ASpec will probably be very close to the model of A4 I want. Will a newer model of TLX be out by spring 2018? That could change my decision. We will see. Obviously looks are very subjective.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:52 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Next time around, I'll go full on virtual cockpit with the quattro AWD system when I compare in the future. A4 is a hell of an option. Honestly, it's beyond what you can get in the equivalent BMW when you consider fit and finish. It's a work of art (even for a Jetta ;-))

Although, I might just spring for an S4. Such an amazing car.

Last edited by kurtatx; 05-15-2017 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Originally Posted by holografique
It wasn't just the virtual dash itself, but how it was implemented, UI navigation of all the controls, the ability to overlay actual navigation into the dash, the UI elements, how smooth everything responded...the list goes on. I'm a "techie" by heart. And these types of elements are very important for me since it is the 2nd most important aspect of how I interact with my vehicle outside of the driving mechanics. So yes, I chose to focus on it, because for me, it's what's important.

In comparison, the Navigation system in current Acuras (including my 2016 ILX) has severely out-dated graphics, poor UI navigation design (as KeithL mentioned, the dual-screen setup isn't well thought out and intuitive), and up until the recent 2016 models, the entire Infotainment system responsiveness and performance was horrendous. In my previoius 2014 RLX Advanced, more often than not, pushing a physical or virtual button would result in 2-3 second delay before the system would even respond to my action. Not only is that unacceptable in a $60k+ flagship vehicle like my RLX was supposed to be, it was slower performing than the Infotainment system in my 2006 3G TL! So yea, I stand firm on my comment about Audi's navigation/infotainment system being "light-years" ahead of Acura's current in-car technology.

The fact that Ikeda had to call out "30% faster performance" for the 2018 TLX during the release at the NY auto show is proof that they know the current systems are not up to par. What car manufacture calls out such an improvement? We're not talking about laptops here, we're talking about products (cars) that cost tens of thousands of dollars, and well designed, well performing in-car technology is EXPECTED in today's market.
Obviously everyone has their own deal breakers. I took your comment about the Tech being light years ahead to include all tech vs the graphics on the Navigation system. At trim levels closer, but still pricier, to my 2.4, I find the sound system to be superior and the passive safety array to be more extensive on the TLX. I can't properly compare the quality of the Climate Control systems without more seat time in the Audi 4, but TLX system is absolutely excellent. The graphics of the Navigation Screen is not particularly important to me, but IMHO it looks fine in the 3D mode. I agree it takes a few seconds to load on start-up, but after that it works well for the most part. Certainly speeding it up with the 2018 is a good thing, if only to speed up the process of labelling CDs copied to the HD that are not picked up by Gracenote. Personally, for me, I prefer two screens and find it easier than dealing with one screen menus that control every function. I like having the map and the audio displays up at the same time, and suspect that with the addition of Apple Car Play and some other improvements it will increase the appeal of this system.

Again, there were lots of things I liked about the Audi, but for me it usually comes back to the overall value proposition.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:04 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I shopped the Audi A3 and A4 before buying my 17 SH-AWD Advance. While the tech IS awesome, I would have spent the majority of the time with the standard speedo/tach display. Here I MUCH prefer the amazing look of the instruments in the TLX.

The dual screen infotainment system is a HUGE plus for me. I marvel at how panned it is by most of the You Tube reviewers. I love nav on top. It's super easy to use, but all in all I almost never touch it. The XM radio I control from the wheel. I almost always know where I'm going and if I don't, I send the destination from the Acura link app.

i don't find the system slow at all. Yeah, voice commands are very accurate, but cumbersome.

I had an A4 once, but for the money, for me, the TLX was a much better overall deal. The A4, similarly equipped would have been about 10 grand more. No thanks!
Old 05-16-2017, 12:53 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by FLYGUY31
I've owned 3 Acura and 1 Honda since 1995. The only cars I have purchased. I believe in brand loyalty and loved what I have purchased in the past. My current 2010 TSX is by far the most reliable car I've own. I've been planning for over a year to purchase a new car in the spring/summer of 2018. Ive done a lot of research on the TLX. But I can not bring myself to purchase it. I just don't like the looks of the car. And believe me, I've tried to get myself to like it. Also the navigation graphics are terrible. I have also done a lot of research on the A4 and it will probably be my purchase. It's classic styling and tech are what I'm looking for. The 2.4 turbo is also very responsive and quick. The ASpec is definitely a step in the right direction and I will test it when it comes to my dealer. But I think just slapping on some plastic molding and updating some interior won't do it for me. And I'm thinking the cost of an ASpec will probably be very close to the model of A4 I want. Will a newer model of TLX be out by spring 2018? That could change my decision. We will see. Obviously looks are very subjective.
Hey man you probably still have much research to do as the Audi A4 does not have a 2.4L Turbo engine.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:50 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by mmcdaniel33
I shopped the Audi A3 and A4 before buying my 17 SH-AWD Advance. While the tech IS awesome, I would have spent the majority of the time with the standard speedo/tach display. Here I MUCH prefer the amazing look of the instruments in the TLX.

The dual screen infotainment system is a HUGE plus for me. I marvel at how panned it is by most of the You Tube reviewers. I love nav on top. It's super easy to use, but all in all I almost never touch it. The XM radio I control from the wheel. I almost always know where I'm going and if I don't, I send the destination from the Acura link app.

i don't find the system slow at all. Yeah, voice commands are very accurate, but cumbersome.

I had an A4 once, but for the money, for me, the TLX was a much better overall deal. The A4, similarly equipped would have been about 10 grand more. No thanks!
I've never understood all the vitriol for the two screen setup you see from the reviewers. Yes - there is some redundancy there but there is also some nice functionality there by having one display screen and one touch-input screen. Why any auto reviewer would find that confusing always seems a bit disingenuous to me.

I think once you get into the luxury or "entry level" luxury cars the step up into the next level always seems rather incremental. How much nicer should a car that cost an additional 10k be? If you're going from 20 to 30 thousand it's very very noticeable. From 30K to 40K - not nearly as much. From 40k to 50k even less noticeable in many cases. Yes that 10K should always get you a nicer car - but how much nicer??? Granted I'm value shopper - I find the TLX a perfect fit for me.
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 03:48 PM
Azine Jabroni

See, and I think the ride and interior quality of the quattro Premium A4 are worth the extra $6000. That's just my personal preference, though.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:57 PM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
Hey man you probably still have much research to do as the Audi A4 does not have a 2.4L Turbo engine.

Acura doesn't have turbo
Old 05-16-2017, 03:58 PM
Intermediate

Exactly!!!!! Value is a perspective that differs depending on your particular point of view!!!!!
Old 05-16-2017, 04:38 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by mmcdaniel33

There are cars that I will pay $10K or more for them if I feel like to. Some of past A4, yes I would have done and I did get a few BMW. However the A4 got duller and duller for 15 years, including that interior. Bof.

Last edited by Saintor; 05-16-2017 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
I look at that same picture and would be OK spending more for the A4. The cheesy fake wood in the TLX does not associate to quality for me. I admit 10k more for non virtual cockpit is too much, but if going the loaded way you also get a much better sound system. You must admit the TLX sounds less good compared to the TL.

Edit: Picture was changed. Black interior was nice not the one above.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
I look at that same picture and would be OK spending more for the A4. The cheesy fake wood in the TLX does not associate to quality for me. I admit 10k more for non virtual cockpit is too much, but if going the loaded way you also get a much better sound system. You must admit the TLX sounds less good compared to the TL.

Edit: Picture was changed. Black interior was nice not the one above.
Yeah it was too huge. But it doesn't change a thing; same ok but not extraordinary spartan cockpit.

I agree about the sound system though; even our 2012 Civic DX was sounding better.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:32 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by BC01191980
Acura doesn't have turbo
Nope they don't have turbo unless you get the NSX or you are in China where you can buy the CDX....ahaha
Old 05-16-2017, 06:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Curious where this $10k difference is coming in from. Using the current online websites for Audi and Acura, pricing out a current 2017 TLX V6 SH-AWD Advanced Package with all the options to match close (not exact) to an A4 Quattro Prestige 7spd with AWD comes out roughly between $50k for the TLX and around $51k-$52k for the A4. And the A4 comes with a HUD, suspension adjustment options, and as mentioned before (IMO) way better nav and in-car tech with the virtual cockpit. The biggest difference in price comes in depending on what type of wheel/rim options you choose. IMO you have to add the 19" diamond-cut wheels on the TLX to get anything remotely attractive looking to the standard 18" wheels on the A4 Prestige.

Yes, maybe the TLX has a few extra "safety" features, but I'm not a family of 5 hauling kids around in my sedan.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

And of course Saintor posts a pick of the A4 interior in the worst possible color option.

Let's try this one for size...this is exactly like the one I test drove. And man was it nice. Instantly put my RLX to shame.

Last edited by holografique; 05-16-2017 at 06:10 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by holografique:
BEAR-AvHistory (05-17-2017), kurtatx (05-16-2017), pyrodan007 (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 06:14 PM
Banned

Well it is the same spartan thing with different lighting. Yeah there is some hard plastic too. That Ipad add-on looks as bad as in C-Class. I would find it annoying as hell.

The TLX interior has a better ambiance.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by Saintor
Well it is the same spartan thing with different lighting. Yeah there is some hard plastic too. That Ipad add-on looks as bad as in C-Class. I would find it annoying as hell.

The TLX interior has a better ambiance.

Yes the plastiwood and painted silver plastic scream ambiance.
The following 2 users liked this post by RDX10:
BEAR-AvHistory (05-17-2017), kurtatx (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 06:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RDX10
Yes the plastiwood and painted silver plastic scream ambiance.
Indeed they feel adequate. (And I paid $500 for real wood in my last Bimmer).
Old 05-16-2017, 06:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Indeed they feel adequate. (And I paid $500 for real wood in my last Bimmer).
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. IMO a car can't call itself luxury or premium and use plastiwood and painted plastic trim.

Do I think $500 for wood on an Acura would be ridiculous? YES. It should be standard.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:43 PM
Banned

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. IMO a car can't call itself luxury or premium and use plastiwood and painted plastic trim.

Do I think $500 for wood on an Acura would be ridiculous? YES. It should be standard.
Welcome to the real world. If you want to see luxo-brand with real peeling interior problem, look at BMW, not Acura. BTW, if it is what you want real wood is a $350 option at Audi. Not free.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Welcome to the real world. If you want to see luxo-brand with real peeling interior problem, look at BMW, not Acura. BTW, if it is what you want real wood is a $350 option at Audi. Not free.
I have owned 2 BMW's and neither had peeling wood, I have also owned 3 Touaregs with real wood and not one had peeled or cracked wood either. Also I don't think you're understanding what I am saying, I am not saying I wouldn't pay $350-$500 for real wood, I am saying that I would never pay for wood in an Acura. They don't have the brand cache to charhge for it.

Last edited by RDX10; 05-16-2017 at 07:02 PM.
BEAR-AvHistory (05-17-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 07:04 PM
Banned

I have owned 2 BMW's and neither had peeling wood, I have also owned 3 Touaregs with real wood and not one had peeled or cracked wood either. Also I don't think you're understanding what I am saying, I am not saying I wouldn't pay $350-$500 for real wood, I am saying that I would never pay for wood in an Acura. They don't have the brand cache to charhge for it.
Didn't say peeling wood. Painted interior is more common than you think. Even from Germany.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:17 PM
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
I meant to say 4 cylinder turbo.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Didn't say peeling wood. Painted interior is more common than you think. Even from Germany.
Whoops, my mistake. I misread what you posted. I had peeling paint in all my german cars almost. It was because Germans even coat hard plastic parts like door handles in soft rubber paint. But that's been limited to older Germans in my experience.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:32 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Curious where this $10k difference is coming in from. Using the current online websites for Audi and Acura, pricing out a current 2017 TLX V6 SH-AWD Advanced Package with all the options to match close (not exact) to an A4 Quattro Prestige 7spd with AWD comes out roughly between $50k for the TLX and around $51k-$52k for the A4. And the A4 comes with a HUD, suspension adjustment options, and as mentioned before (IMO) way better nav and in-car tech with the virtual cockpit. The biggest difference in price comes in depending on what type of wheel/rim options you choose. IMO you have to add the 19" diamond-cut wheels on the TLX to get anything remotely attractive looking to the standard 18" wheels on the A4 Prestige.

Yes, maybe the TLX has a few extra "safety" features, but I'm not a family of 5 hauling kids around in my sedan.
I'm not sure whether the $10k difference is coming from either.

Using the online configurators, the TLX SH-AWD Advance is at $44.9k. There are no options to add. Of course, if you start going crazy with the accessories, such as splash guards, wheel locks, spare tire kit, car cover, etc, then may be it will be more. But I wouldn't think those are "options".

For the Audi, A4, the 2.0T Prestige Quattro trim starts at $48k. I proceed to add, the weather packages, driver assistance pkg, and rear side airbags, and it becomes $52k. If you want a different color, different leather seats, sport pkg, 19" wheels, adaptive dampers, then that would bump the price to just below $60k. Obviously the TLX doesn't have all of those items, so I wouldn't add them for comparison to be fair.

I see a $7k-$8k difference between a equivalently loaded Prestige A4 and a TLX AWD Advance.

I'm guessing it becomes $10k difference or more once you start factoring in the incentives that are available on the TLX?
Old 05-17-2017, 02:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Using the online configurators, the TLX SH-AWD Advance is at $44.9k. There are no options to add. Of course, if you start going crazy with the accessories, such as splash guards, wheel locks, spare tire kit, car cover, etc, then may be it will be more. But I wouldn't think those are "options".

For the Audi, A4, the 2.0T Prestige Quattro trim starts at $48k. I proceed to add, the weather packages, driver assistance pkg, and rear side airbags, and it becomes $52k. If you want a different color, different leather seats, sport pkg, 19" wheels, adaptive dampers, then that would bump the price to just below $60k. Obviously the TLX doesn't have all of those items, so I wouldn't add them for comparison to be fair.

I see a $7k-$8k difference between a equivalently loaded Prestige A4 and a TLX AWD Advance.

I'm guessing it becomes $10k difference or more once you start factoring in the incentives that are available on the TLX?
A fully loaded TLX Advance SH-AWD is 52k here in . Optioning up the A4 to similar feature levels (though the Audi has more features and content) puts it at around 54-56k. So I'm not really sure where the 10k difference is coming from either. Personally, I think the looks, interior quality and design, and more sophisticated design is worth the price premium.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:19 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Sorry for the confusion - I wasn't intending the 10k difference to be taken litterally in a TLX vs A4 discussion - I was speaking more in generalities in the luxury segment and the actual upgrade you get as you move up the food chain!
Old 05-17-2017, 02:41 PM
Azine Jabroni

The A4 has a better transmission, better (rear-biased) AWD system, better fuel economy, virtual cockpit with native Google Earth support, tri-zone climate control, leather upholstry (not vinyl). Reviewers project the A4 to be more reliable, easier to use (reviewers do NOT like the dual screen on the TLX), and is real world faster.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

The $50k number I got ($49,534 to be exact) was when I added the 19" diamond-cut alloy wheels (an additional $3,684), which IMO is the closest you can get to giving the TLX a premium luxury + sport look matching the A4 with it's 18" wheels that come included with the A4 Prestige trim. But I get that wheels are subjective to taste and some folks are perfectly happy with the 18" TLX wheel options.

Bottom line for me is: based on the options and features I want, the A4 is no higher in cost than a TLX equipped the way I would want/need it to be, and I'd get far better tech, suspension options, and a far better transmission in the A4 versus the sluggish ZF 9spd in the V6 TLX.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by kurtatx
The A4 has a better transmission, better (rear-biased) AWD system, better fuel economy, virtual cockpit with native Google Earth support, tri-zone climate control, leather upholstry (not vinyl). Reviewers project the A4 to be more reliable, easier to use (reviewers do NOT like the dual screen on the TLX), and is real world faster.
The $50k number I got ($49,534 to be exact) was when I added the 19" diamond-cut alloy wheels (an additional $3,684), which IMO is the closest you can get to giving the TLX a premium luxury + sport look matching the A4 with it's 18" wheels that come included with the A4 Prestige trim. But I get that wheels are subjective to taste and some folks are perfectly happy with the 18" TLX wheel options.

Bottom line for me is: based on the options and features I want, the A4 is no higher in cost than a TLX equipped the way I would want/need it to be, and I'd get far better tech, suspension options, and a far better transmission in the A4 versus the sluggish ZF 9spd in the V6 TLX.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:30 PM
Intermediate

Hmmm, according to Edmunds, the cheapest A4 Quattro would be sold at value pricing at $38,300. Adding in the nav package, convenience package and heated seats you are at $42,400. Considering I got my 2017 TLX SH-AWD Advance for total out the door for $38,700, it was nearly $2 grand less than the lightly equipped A4, or nearly $5000 more. AU this price the virtual cockpit is not available.

So a loaded Audi A4 close to TLX equipment is close to $10 grand. And the edmunds reviewer calls the A4 tranny, "initially" sluggish.

Is the A4 a nicer car? Yes. But nice enough to pay a lot more for. Not for me. And I feel the quality judge is still out for ALL of the German cars for long term maintenance. I've owned two of them (VW and Audi) and was not impressed with the creaks and groans.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:03 PM
Banned

The A4 has a better transmission, better (rear-biased) AWD system,

, virtual cockpit with native Google Earth support, tri-zone climate control, leather upholstry (not vinyl). Reviewers project the A4 to be more reliable, easier to use (reviewers do NOT like the dual screen on the TLX), and is real world faster.
Let's take them one by one.

Better transmission? VW/Audi DSG/S-Tronic are clunky with odd noises. Clunky enough that Audi chose to use the ZF8 in their 2018 S4, as they do in the A6 . Audi justified it by "people prefers smoothness". They also typically need a $400 oi change every 40000 miles. I drove 1600km in the Alps with one and came unimpressed.

Better AWD system? Because you decided so? lol. Acura featured rear torque vectored split power and feels as much RWD, No difference and Audi now starting with the most recent A4 All-road, Audi basically uses the same efficient technology as Acura.

Better fuel economy? Check fuelly. Minor difference ... they are both 24-26mpg. Both are EPA 31mpg highway and that is BEFORE I choose to get regular, which in the US is $0.50 less a gallon according to fuelly. So de facto, my TLX V6 costs LESS in fuel than your A4Q, provided that you are at ease with 280HP instead of 290. C&D got only 22mpg observed with the A4Q. 24mpg for the TLX -SH-AWD.

Virtual cockpit with native Google Earth support, tri-zone climate control? Ok, but I'd rather use my Samsung S7 as I always do and save $2K in the process.

Leather upholstry (not vinyl)? That depends of package. I was against vinyl when I got my first BMW. Then I found out that it ages much better than leather and their nasty wrinkles. I no longer care but leather is obviously available if it is your thing.

Reviewers project the A4 to be more reliable? They obviously never brought a German car to 80000 miles. Come on, there are plenty of Honda sites/examples with more than 300000 miles, original powertrain even the humble ones. Audi? All the leaks and nonsense will drive you nut before.

Easier to use? Possibly. I am not a fan of the dual screens and they feel a gen late. Maybe the MMC is better.

Is real world faster? Only if 0.2s is a big deal to you. Best real-world 5-60mph is 6.0s for the A4Q and 6.2s for the TLX SH-AWD. But that Camry-noise is so annoying, unfit of that price tag, that I will gladly sacrifice 0.2s and enjoy a world class that knows how to sing properly 5000-7000rpm, unlike the asthma-like 2.0Toy.

Last edited by Saintor; 05-17-2017 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:22 PM
Azine Jabroni

Let's take them one by one.

Better transmission? VW/Audi DSG/S-Tronic are clunky with odd noises. Clunky enough that Audi chose to use the ZF8 in their 2018 S4, as they do in the A6 . Audi justified it by "people prefers smoothness". They also typically need a $400 oi change every 40000 miles. I drove 1600km in the Alps with one and came unimpressed.
We're not talking about the S4. Also, the DCT is tuned for the American models to provide more lower end aggression, which comes across as a little jerky, but is perfectly suitable for the comfort setting.

Better AWD system? Because you decided so? lol. Acura featured rear torque vectored split power and feels as much RWD, No difference and Audi now starting with the most recent A4 All-road, Audi basically uses the same efficient technology as Acura.
70% of AWD wheel torque goes to the front. I'll pass.

Better fuel economy? Check fuelly. Minor difference ... they are both 24-26mpg. Both are EPA 31mpg highway and that is BEFORE I choose to get regular, which in the US is $0.50 less a gallon according to fuelly. So de facto, my TLX V6 costs LESS in fuel than your A4Q, provided that you are at ease with 280HP instead of 290. C&D got only 22mpg observed with the A4Q. 24mpg for the TLX -SH-AWD.
So, as quoted, if I'm responsible and you aren't, your car is cheaper to drive. OK. If you piss in your car, it'll be cheaper to drive while it still runs.

Virtual cockpit with native Google Earth support, tri-zone climate control? Ok, but I'd rather use my Samsung S7 as I always do and save $2K in the process.
Not until the MMC model in 2018, which is better, but not the subject of this poll.

Leather upholstry (not vinyl)? That depends of package. I was against vinyl when I got my first BMW. Then I found out that it ages much better than leather and their nasty wrinkles. I no longer care but leather is obviously available if it is your thing.
You can tout your preference, but leather is considered more premium and rightly so.

Reviewers project the A4 to be more reliable? They obviously never brought a German car to 80000 miles. Come on, there are plenty of Honda sites/examples with more than 300000 miles, original powertrain even the humble ones. Audi? All the leaks and nonsense will drive you nut before.
Both cars are new and the TLX has been a mess out of the box

Easier to use? Possibly. I am not a fan of the dual screens and they feel a gen late. Maybe the MMC is better.
The current knob system is far superior to the dual screen and I have both. I'm actually concerned Audi is moving away from the knob.

Is real world faster? Only if 0.2s is a big deal to you. Best real-world 5-60mph is 6.0s for the A4Q and 6.2s for the TLX SH-AWD. But that Camry-noise is so annoying, unfit of that price tag, that I will gladly sacrifice 0.2s and enjoy a world class that knows how to sing properly 5000-7000rpm, unlike the asthma-like 2.0Toy.
It's too bad your fancy V6 from 1994 can't outrun my Jetta and it's "2.0Toy". These things all add up to a significantly better car for a significantly higher price.

Now, because the TLX is a modest success, the incentives people have cited do affect the value proposition, but if the car is as good as you think it is, the TLX should be considered free from incentives.

And (before I get flamed), I have owned an Acura. I know why people buy them. I really liked mine. I just wanted something a little nicer. I cross-shoped my TSX with Mazdas and Hondas. The TLX is a great option compared to those brands, a good option compared to Buick, Volvo, and a value option compared to the Germans. But don't start bringing in this "TLX is a better car". It's not by any stretch of the imagination and once you start talking value, you're banking on the fact that the TLX did not sell as well as Acura had intended and is riddled with incentives.

Good for you, enjoy your car. I'll enjoy mine. But if you're going to be ridiculous and make false claims about the weak engine in my VW Jetta, I'm going to come here and make you look foolish. Again.

Last edited by kurtatx; 05-17-2017 at 10:29 PM.
TacoBello (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 01:13 AM
Suzuka Master

We're not talking about the S4. Also, the DCT is tuned for the American models to provide more lower end aggression, which comes across as a little jerky, but is perfectly suitable for the comfort setting.

70% of AWD wheel torque goes to the front. I'll pass.

So, as quoted, if I'm responsible and you aren't, your car is cheaper to drive. OK. If you piss in your car, it'll be cheaper to drive while it still runs.

Not until the MMC model in 2018, which is better, but not the subject of this poll.

You can tout your preference, but leather is considered more premium and rightly so.

Both cars are new and the TLX has been a mess out of the box

The current knob system is far superior to the dual screen and I have both. I'm actually concerned Audi is moving away from the knob.

It's too bad your fancy V6 from 1994 can't outrun my Jetta and it's "2.0Toy". These things all add up to a significantly better car for a significantly higher price.

Now, because the TLX is a modest success, the incentives people have cited do affect the value proposition, but if the car is as good as you think it is, the TLX should be considered free from incentives.

And (before I get flamed), I have owned an Acura. I know why people buy them. I really liked mine. I just wanted something a little nicer. I cross-shoped my TSX with Mazdas and Hondas. The TLX is a great option compared to those brands, a good option compared to Buick, Volvo, and a value option compared to the Germans. But don't start bringing in this "TLX is a better car". It's not by any stretch of the imagination and once you start talking value, you're banking on the fact that the TLX did not sell as well as Acura had intended and is riddled with incentives.

Good for you, enjoy your car. I'll enjoy mine. But if you're going to be ridiculous and make false claims about the weak engine in my VW Jetta, I'm going to come here and make you look foolish. Again.
Out of curiosity. why do you validate him by calling your A4 a Jetta? You're car has nithing to do with the Jetta. Different engines, transmissions, platforms, infotainment, interior , exterior...etc. Meanwhile his car is by and large nothing more an Accord in boring clothes. He wants to enjoy his ancient and archaic SOHC timing belt driven dinosaur, let him. But don't put the A4 down like that. It's an awesome car that has jumped WAY up in all directions while the TLX has fallen back in nearly every appreciable direction save for it now has 9 gears!!!
Old 05-18-2017, 08:09 AM
Azine Jabroni

Out of curiosity. why do you validate him by calling your A4 a Jetta? You're car has nithing to do with the Jetta. Different engines, transmissions, platforms, infotainment, interior , exterior...etc. Meanwhile his car is by and large nothing more an Accord in boring clothes. He wants to enjoy his ancient and archaic SOHC timing belt driven dinosaur, let him. But don't put the A4 down like that. It's an awesome car that has jumped WAY up in all directions while the TLX has fallen back in nearly every appreciable direction save for it now has 9 gears!!!
Yeah, I don't know.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:26 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

A fully loaded TLX Advance SH-AWD is 52k here in . Optioning up the A4 to similar feature levels (though the Audi has more features and content) puts it at around 54-56k. So I'm not really sure where the 10k difference is coming from either. Personally, I think the looks, interior quality and design, and more sophisticated design is worth the price premium.
I'm from Canada too I'm guessing you also added some sort of accessories eh, as the TLX Elite AWD (no advance in Canada) is CAD$48k.

I think some of items you listed are up for debate. For instance, the AWD system, some like torque vectoring, while some like rear-biased. I feel that it's a personal perference. As for fuel economy, a NA V6 will almost never match a boosted 4-banger in EPA ratings. That's the whole point of manufacturers going with small displacement turbo engines these days - to achieve great EPA ratings.

In terms of real world performance, the 1/4 mile trap speeds tell us that they are pretty much dead even as both trap 100mph. For street light racers though, the A4 has launch control which makes it faster for 0-60mph, and thus 1/4 mile ET. I'm assuming by real world, you mean passing maneuvers, not street racing.

It seems like reviewers now are fine with the dual screen setup in the 2018 TLX.

Gotcha, that makes more sense. Agreed wheel design is subjective.

With the new facelifted TLX, things seem to have improved by a lot based on reviews.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:43 PM
Suzuka Master

I'm from Canada too I'm guessing you also added some sort of accessories eh, as the TLX Elite AWD (no advance in Canada) is CAD$48k.

I think some of items you listed are up for debate. For instance, the AWD system, some like torque vectoring, while some like rear-biased. I feel that it's a personal perference. As for fuel economy, a NA V6 will almost never match a boosted 4-banger in EPA ratings. That's the whole point of manufacturers going with small displacement turbo engines these days - to achieve great EPA ratings.

In terms of real world performance, the 1/4 mile trap speeds tell us that they are pretty much dead even as both trap 100mph. For street light racers though, the A4 has launch control which makes it faster for 0-60mph, and thus 1/4 mile ET. I'm assuming by real world, you mean passing maneuvers, not street racing.

It seems like reviewers now are fine with the dual screen setup in the 2018 TLX.

Gotcha, that makes more sense. Agreed wheel design is subjective.

With the new facelifted TLX, things seem to have improved by a lot based on reviews.
Nope, all I did was choose my province (AB) and then selected the TLX and selected the add taxes and fees button. No options or accessories added. It says 48190 pre taxes and 52k post taxes on the build sheet. Did not select any protection packages or the aero kit or anything.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
No, what this means is that the 2.0T starts to peter out at 100mph, or, 160km/h. The 2.0T is faster in what i'd call "normal" speeds, but eventually loses out in the upper speed echelon, simply due to the tuning Audi has put on the car, or rather, has limited the car to. On the other hand, Honda isn't exactly limiting power on the 3.5L.

And there in lies the benefit of the 2.0T- tell me, how often do you drive at 160km/h. or faster? how often do you drive around 60-100km/h? The A4 is faster in the normal driving portion of the speed scale. The thing is, as mentioned, Audi limits the tuning on that car- if it doesn't produce enough power for you in the upper echelon, you can have it retuned at a very reasonable cost and get that extra power out of it- something you simply cannot do with the 3.5L.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TacoBello
No, what this means is that the 2.0T starts to peter out at 100mph, or, 160km/h. The 2.0T is faster in what i'd call "normal" speeds, but eventually loses out in the upper speed echelon, simply due to the tuning Audi has put on the car, or rather, has limited the car to. On the other hand, Honda isn't exactly limiting power on the 3.5L.

And there in lies the benefit of the 2.0T- tell me, how often do you drive at 160km/h. or faster? how often do you drive around 60-100km/h? The A4 is faster in the normal driving portion of the speed scale. The thing is, as mentioned, Audi limits the tuning on that car- if it doesn't produce enough power for you in the upper echelon, you can have it retuned at a very reasonable cost and get that extra power out of it- something you simply cannot do with the 3.5L.
This is what I love about turbo cars (ESPECIALLY VAG cars). The capability to add a tune for a few hundred and bump up the power considerably is really not possible in naturally aspirated vehicles. With VAG specifically you have Revo, Unichip, GIAC, Uprev(?), APR...etc. I was going to get a Q5 and had to choose between the 2.0T and 3.2, I probably would have went with the 2.0T with a tune, but chose to go with something a little cheaper.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:17 PM
Banned

We're not talking about the S4. Also, the DCT is tuned for the American models to provide more lower end aggression, which comes across as a little jerky, but is perfectly suitable for the comfort setting. Jerky, noisy and expensive to maintain - that is correct.

Both cars are new and the TLX has been a mess out of the box. Ressassing old arguments is irrelevant now. Audi has way many more horror stories than Acura. Which one will you trust to 300000 miles again?

It's too bad your fancy V6 from 1994 can't outrun my Jetta and it's "2.0Toy". These things all add up to a significantly better car for a significantly higher price. Sorry but that glorified 2.0Toy in that glorified Golf is definitely an inferior car. German knows that the noise are harsh enough that they chose to tame the 2.0T or create an artificial sounds (BMW...) to offset that tin-can noise, unfit of a $45K car. You can change your signature to Golf instead of Jetta. Indeed Audi updated the MLB platform up to MQB specs (Golf VII, although longitudinal) and calls it the MLB Evo. My bad.

And (before I get flamed), I have owned an Acura. I know why people buy them. I really liked mine. I just wanted something a little nicer. I cross-shoped my TSX with Mazdas and Hondas. The TLX is a great option compared to those brands, a good option compared to Buick, Volvo, and a value option compared to the Germans. But don't start bringing in this "TLX is a better car". - The TLX is certainly a better car and 2018 probably even better . I have zero interest for a car with an horrible interior as in A4 B9 (see above pics ) and 2.0Tin-can engine. The TLX V6 has a real noble engine, that knows how to howl with dignity. Of course the S4 is better with a noble engine to start with , but certainly not an A4 with 2.0T that means "compromise". You can keep it and no need to bring your pointless propaganda here - Audi forums must be as boring as their cars . Thanks.

Last edited by Saintor; 05-18-2017 at 07:23 PM.