400HP Next Gen Acura TLX

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 10:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by TacoBello

4. Who the hell complains about more power? Must not be a car enthusiast

Perhaps those of who have to deal with people who drive like AHs without "performance" driving skills?
Old 12-04-2018, 04:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...pe-s-spy-shots

All Acura is willing to say is that its new Type S models will feature a turbocharged V-6. The engine is likely derived from the 3.5-liter twin-turbocharged V-6 fitted to the NSX supercar. Given the competition Acura is targeting for the TLX Type S, peak output will probably be somewhere around the 350-hp mark. The current V-6-powered TLX already boasts 290 hp.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:54 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
I would say they are "playing fast and loose" with the insinuation that the Type-S TC V-6 is derived from the bespoke NSX V-6.

Last edited by hondu; 12-04-2018 at 06:59 AM.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by hondu
I would say they are "playing fast and loose" with the insinuation that the Type-S TC V-6 is derived from the bespoke NSX V-6.
You can do a lot with the word "derived" in advertising. It will be a alloy, check, quad cam, check, 24 valve, check, V6, check, Twin Turbo, check, 3.5L, NAH, with 16PSI boost, NAH. 5 out of 7 ain't bad for the marketing guys.

I expect they will get a lot of advertising mileage out of the similarities. Point is, which is very good for HONDA, they will be able to dial in as much power as they want to generate within acceptable EPA mileage & warranty risk boost levels.

Should be a very good package, just hope they don't over hype it like the did with the current car. Not a very smart plan for selling into this segment. BMW, Audi & MB almost never mention the opposition in their adds. They view themselves rightly or wrongly the alpha dogs. You only need to compare when you are the B team & not there yet.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 12-04-2018 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Originally Posted by jhb31
add on:
12) Do not make it a hybrid.
It'll be interesting to see if they add the electric motors that's present in the RLX/NSX.

My bet is they do have that as an option for the top level "Sport Hybrid SH-AWD." They've been using those motors in the RLX and NSX and wouldn't be surprised if that trickles down to the TLX-S.

As long as it doesn't add too much weight. The RLX Sport Hybrid is almost 4400lbs, so this may be a point of contention with reviewers.

But with those motors, total system hp could be close to 400hp(?) and with good 0-60 and good mpg. Guess time will tell when Acura reveals the TLX-S....

So my bet is there is likely going to be the electric motors in the new TLX-S, who else agrees/disagrees?
Old 12-04-2018, 12:42 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
Isn't the twin turbo V6 in the NSX a longitudinal layout? But as Bear mentioned, "derived" could be many things. It would be great if the Type-S were rear-bias, but I don't see Acura abandoning their transverse setups.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:56 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ZipSpeed
Isn't the twin turbo V6 in the NSX a longitudinal layout? But as Bear mentioned, "derived" could be many things. It would be great if the Type-S were rear-bias, but I don't see Acura abandoning their transverse setups.
Yeah. I remember reading and if I remember correctly, engineers were looking to use an existing V6 motor they had but due to the chassis/platform they went and developed a longitudinal motor. But yeah the word "derived" is probably used VERY loosely. I'm sure lot of the things they learned from developing the NSX motor will trickle down to the TLX-S, but certainly it's not gonna be the "NSX motor" in a TLX.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by hondu
I agree. The likelihood that we will see the bespoke (ie especially made for) V6 from the NSX appears in a mass-produced TLX is somewhere between nil and none.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Agree. They used the NSX a lot in the current TLX marketing plan, but IIRC the 3.5V6DOHC engine had only 3 production car parts on it. The engine is North South so that is also different.

BTW The race car they always show is a bit over $500,000 unpainted, does not run the electric motors, factory transmission, suspension or SHAWD but its used as a marketing tool.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I see projectors and missing jewel eye lights.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:30 AM
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts
Lights

Originally Posted by KeithL
Mules rarely have the actual headlights. I think they just slapped on some projectors for the mule, but the car will eventually have something like the new RDX jewel lights.
One of the things I love the most of my MDX (17) is the quality of the headlights...I drove a new RDX and I loved them too. The RDX has a little more “blue” hints to it (when seen opposite direction), but overall they perform greatly.

If you look at the spy pics of the front of the TLX and then look at the front of the new RDX you can start to assume some of the possible looks the TLX front will have.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:57 AM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Sloppy305

Mules rarely have the actual headlights. I think they just slapped on some projectors for the mule, but the car will eventually have something like the new RDX jewel lights.
One of the things I love the most of my MDX (17) is the quality of the headlights...I drove a new RDX and I loved them too. The RDX has a little more “blue” hints to it (when seen opposite direction), but overall they perform greatly.

If you look at the spy pics of the front of the TLX and then look at the front of the new RDX you can start to assume some of the possible looks the TLX front will have.

No need to look at the RDX. Look at the ILX MMC-2 and you'll probably get a good idea at what the next TLX will look like.

The following users liked this post:
Christopher. (01-09-2019)
Old 12-05-2018, 05:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Sloppy305

Agreed. They probably didn’t want to betray the mule as an Acura product as well.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
No need to look at the RDX. Look at the ILX MMC-2 and you'll probably get a good idea at what the next TLX will look like.

Personally, I think the front end of the '19 ILX is quite handsome. I wouldn't have any problem with the '20 TLX sharing some of the ILX's front end styling cues.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:59 AM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Dropped off my car for some service done, talked with my service adviser about their new NSX in their display room and he suddenly told me the new TLX will be sharing the same motor with the NSX (like most had mentioned), also it will be a Aspec twin turbo. He didn't mention anything about type S, wonder if this is true hahaha.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:36 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
It's not happening.

The engine in the NSX isn't even produced by Honda. For the life of me I can't find who builds it, but I believe it is manufactured somewhere in England. It is a race engine through and through. The price of that engine is likely very close to an entire TLX. It is super expensive.

​​​​​​The TLXS engine is a single turbo application, unlike the NSX that relies on twin turbos. The TLX is not getting an NSX engine, no matter what anyone says.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:23 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by TacoBello
It's not happening.

The engine in the NSX isn't even produced by Honda. For the life of me I can't find who builds it, but I believe it is manufactured somewhere in England. It is a race engine through and through. The price of that engine is likely very close to an entire TLX. It is super expensive.

​​​​​​The TLXS engine is a single turbo application, unlike the NSX that relies on twin turbos. The TLX is not getting an NSX engine, no matter what anyone says.
The NSX engine is 75 degree and longitudinally mounted. The block and heads are made by Cosworth in the UK, but they are shipped to Acura for building the engine in OH. The next TLX engine is most likely transverse and 60 degree (like the J-series)

I've read estimates that the NSX engine alone goes for around $75K. No friggin way this is going in the TLX. The person who said it was just blowing smoke.

https://www.autoblog.com/2015/08/15/...block-details/
TacoBello (12-05-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 03:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Specifically:

The Anna engine plant is Honda’s largest with more than a million engines per year built by 2800 workers. Three rooms are dedicated to assembling and testing the NSX’s 3.5-liter twin-turbo V-6. Proving that this powerhouse is steeped in racing technology, the block, heads, and bottom cover are cast by Grainger & Worrall and machined by Cosworth, two premier British motorsports firms.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/dr...w-nsx-supercar
hondu (12-06-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 04:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Ah it was Cosworth! I couldn't remember the name for the life of me, but yes, thanks for confirming what I wrote! I dunno if it costs as much as 75k, but I could definitely see 40k for sure. Still the price of an A-spec TLX for just the engine.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Grainger & Worrall are the key players precision casting the guts of the system. Big time race engine operation.

2018 Le Mans highlight
"The hugely successful partnership between Grainger & Worrall and Gibson Technology continued apace this weekend, with three podiums at Le Mans. Gibson GK428 engines, cast by Grainger & Worrall, were utilised by all 20 cars on the LMP2 grid."

THey don't do family cars.
TacoBello (12-05-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 08:36 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by F23A4
Thanks! I had not seen where Grainger & Worrall were doing the actual casting.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
This motor will be as related to the NSX as the last NSX/TL engines were......in similar paper specs, and not much else. i.e 3.0/3.2L V6s.

400hp +/- hybrid would have my consideration to trade in, and stay within the brand.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:16 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Similarity to s 2000...

It would be cool for Honda to beef up the a-spec a bit , 335-340 with a lot more torque than now . Of course , the brakes on the A-spec do not cut it if you feel the need for a few thrills through the country and then stopping somewhat quick . After 3 times in a few minutes , I notice my pedal was on the floor . Where are the brembo brakes that should be stock , just relax on a coupla of the badges , the cost is the same then .....maybe I slept through something , what was the final outcome of the 3.7 305 hp?
Old 12-10-2018, 04:20 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just sold my 2002 s2000 for $5000 profit after 8 years . If that performance was available in a current TLX , I wonder what we would have .
Old 01-09-2019, 02:35 PM
Volvo Defector

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
More power is always welcome and this has been something Acura owners have been clamoring for the past decade since the last Type S was discontinued. Considering how much sedan sales have dropped off YOY(25% down from last year) I'm surprised Acura didn't come out with this higher performance variant in one of their SUV's first such as the RDX & MDX as there is higher volume there. It also surprises me that Acura has yet to bring the smaller CDX over from China to compete in the hot compact SUV segment right now. Regardless, I stopped trying to understand wtf Acura is trying to do years ago as it never made sense to me with their overall brand direction.
Part of me also thinks the ZDX was a little early for its time. It really should be out now with a current exterior design and latest powertrains since there are more SUV "coupe's" out now than ever before. But what do I know.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Acura seems to have indicated that the CDX will not be coming stateside.

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/12/ac...fixing-sedans/

As for the ZDX, I personally like it (saw one yesterday for the first time in a while) but feel that it was underdeveloped for lack of a better word.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
You can do a lot with the word "derived" in advertising. It will be a alloy, check, quad cam, check, 24 valve, check, V6, check, Twin Turbo, check, 3.5L, NAH, with 16PSI boost, NAH. 5 out of 7 ain't bad for the marketing guys.

I expect they will get a lot of advertising mileage out of the similarities. Point is, which is very good for HONDA, they will be able to dial in as much power as they want to generate within acceptable EPA mileage & warranty risk boost levels.

Should be a very good package, just hope they don't over hype it like the did with the current car. Not a very smart plan for selling into this segment. BMW, Audi & MB almost never mention the opposition in their adds. They view themselves rightly or wrongly the alpha dogs. You only need to compare when you are the B team & not there yet.
Acura in no way should try to compete with Audi or BMW, both of those brands (Mercedes included) are not Acura's target crowd although if they improve the styling they can draw those in who want a lower cost, lower maintenance and higher resale car. Most german car owners that I know lease due to the high cost of ownership after the warranty is up. My brother has a new Audi A4 quattro and it's small, interior is seems much more low end than the TLX A-Spec, seats are not comfortable either. Made me appreciate the A-Spec a lot more. Even after seeing the digital dash I am not inclined to see it as anything special. Cost wise its about the same. The A-Spec looks wise is way better but that's subjective.

I don't see any change to the engine orientation. More power is and better trans will be fine. the Sh-awd handling is very, very good and well done.

Originally Posted by KeithL
Hoping the type S model if it ever comes goes with the projectors rather than the jewel headlights. Nothing special about them and even the civic has them now. Actually felt the xenon headlights in the Type-S have a better throw onto the road.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:26 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by alpha0
I get a feeling Acura vehicels are relatively lighter so they can decide output based on power to weight ratio of this class. In general, this categoy of vehicles get 0-60 in 4.3-4.6 seconds and Acura needs to be in that range. Drive feel is also very important at this performance level and i hope Acura improves it to the max possible. My definition of "precision crafted performance" is vehicle does what driver asks it to do and driver get the feel that vehicle is doing what s/he is asking it to do.
Absolutely! Whereas Acura, in recent years, was coping out with the somewhat lame "it's not about raw power" excuse.
Well OK, but when I press the gas pedal swiftly, don't mistake that to mean that what I'm looking for in my car's response is a gradual smooth acceleration. No, even if I'm a middle age dad with two kids and "daily driver" is the first duty of my car, I *DO* still want to be able to hear a little rumble, and have at least a small taste of that "God is on call at the tip of my toe" feeling when I press down that pedal like I mean it.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:33 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by a35tl
Personally, I think the front end of the '19 ILX is quite handsome. I wouldn't have any problem with the '20 TLX sharing some of the ILX's front end styling cues.
There are very few things in life that I would want more than a 2.0T SHAWD ILX in 2020/2021. That car, if they made it, would probably make me just as happy as would a BMW M2 (and hopefully cost $10K less). If they made the suspension as stiff and nimble as the old small BMWs used to feel, I would be in love.
a35tl (01-09-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 01:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Little off topic. Viewing the Corvette C7 & C8 forums, expect to get one or the other. The new C8 mid engine car is expected to offer a DOHC engine. The guys think it already exists as Mercury Marine offers a DOHC Chevy small blocks for boats.

750BHP 11.7:1 CR & 8000RPM red line.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:14 PM
Safety Car

@BEAR-AvHistory Interesting. Too bad C8 is delayed a bit....hope to see it unveiled officially soon. If that rumor has any basis, it may not be surprising to see the new C8 Z06 with 700 or more hp! Not sure how the Corvette program is going about developing the new motor but with a DOHC..I assume they would probably take an existing motor off the shelf and then engineer/design it for the C8....though I've read that new engine development costs can be potentially 100+ million dollar total development cost...
Old 01-15-2019, 04:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by nist7
@BEAR-AvHistory Interesting. Too bad C8 is delayed a bit....hope to see it unveiled officially soon. If that rumor has any basis, it may not be surprising to see the new C8 Z06 with 700 or more hp! Not sure how the Corvette program is going about developing the new motor but with a DOHC..I assume they would probably take an existing motor off the shelf and then engineer/design it for the C8....though I've read that new engine development costs can be potentially 100+ million dollar total development cost...
Yeah its a big bucks investment. This engine SB4 Merc Marine is a Chevy LS 7.0L (428CI) short block with Edelbrock developed heads & intake systems. The crate engine for automotive applications is $29K in the box.

Agree on the C8 delay. To much delay & will lease a C7 as a filler when I turn the 440 in. Would like to see a bit of a production run before I get serious about the C8.
nist7 (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 09:51 PM
Safety Car

Yeah its a big bucks investment. This engine SB4 Merc Marine is a Chevy LS 7.0L (428CI) short block with Edelbrock developed heads & intake systems. The crate engine for automotive applications is $29K in the box.

Agree on the C8 delay. To much delay & will lease a C7 as a filler when I turn the 440 in. Would like to see a bit of a production run before I get serious about the C8.
Yeah those boat motors are definitely beastly....if you can afford to play with those kinds of toys, haha.

Interesting to see you're moving into the bow tie world from the 440. Very exciting! Which model of C7 you are looking at? GS? Z06? ZR1??!!
Old 01-16-2019, 10:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Yeah those boat motors are definitely beastly....if you can afford to play with those kinds of toys, haha.

Interesting to see you're moving into the bow tie world from the 440. Very exciting! Which model of C7 you are looking at? GS? Z06? ZR1??!!
Found I have all most never used the back seat in the Coupe, its been folded down almost since I got the car. Have convinced my wife the truck is good for moving more then two people when required.

Had a lot of bow ties over my life span first was a 1962 409/409 4MT.

1957 Ford Fairlane 500 Skyliner
1960 TR3-A SCCA race car
1961 Morgan+4 Super Sport SCCA race car
1962 TR3-B SCCA race car
1962 Chevy Impala 409/409
1964 Pontiac Grand Prix 330HP 389 Tri-Power
1966 Pontiac GTO 360HP 389 Ram Air Tri-Power Royal Bobcat
1967 StingRay 425HP 427 Tri-Power
1968 FIAT 124 Sedan
1969 Firebird Trans Am 400 Ram Air III
1971 Volvo 144 Station Wagon
1973 Ford Country Squire Station Wagon Wrecked
1974 Ford Country Squire Station Wagon
1977 Cadillac Coupe deVille
1981 Datsun 280ZX Home Built Convertible.
1983 Chevy Z-28
1984 Cadillac Fleetwood Sedan
1985 Ford '33 3 Window Coupe 370HP Chevy 350 LT1 Home Built
1987 & 1991 Jaguar Sovereign 4.0 V8 in UK
1987 & 1991 Mercedes Benz 300E 3.2 I6 in UK
1995 Lexus SC 400 V8
1995 Ford Explorer
1998 Ford Ranger
2000 Ford Explorer
2004 BMW 330 Ci ZHP Convert
2005 Ford Expedition
2006 Acura TL
2004 Xterra
2009 Ford Expedition XL
2011 BMW 335IS
2013 BMW 135IS Convert
1965 Cobra Roadster Home Built
2014 BMW 435 MPPK/MPE
2016 Genesis R-Spec
2017 CX-5
2018 BMW 440 MPPSK/THP

Mighty Mouse 406 replacing dead 427 which was later resurrected from the grave as a 433 with a .30 over bore.

1970 LT1 Solid Lifter short block built up heads & intake.

Built maybe 30 Chevy engines only a few FORDs. Like the GS convert best in the C7 series. Want more of a cruiser then a track day car. COBRA fills that niche.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 01-16-2019 at 10:36 AM.
nist7 (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 03:44 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Found I have all most never used the back seat in the Coupe, its been folded down almost since I got the car. Have convinced my wife the truck is good for moving more then two people when required.

1960 TR3-A SCCA race car
1962 TR3-B SCCA race car
1968 FIAT 124 Sedan
1983 Chevy Z-28
1995 Lexus SC 400 V8
1995 Ford Explorer
1998 Ford Ranger
2000 Ford Explorer
2005 Ford Expedition
2006 Acura TL
2004 Xterra
2009 Ford Expedition XL
2011 BMW 335IS
2013 BMW 135IS Convert
2014 BMW 435 MPPK/MPE
2016 Genesis R-Spec
2017 CX-5
2018 BMW 440 MPPSK/THP

Mighty Mouse 406 replacing dead 427 which was later resurrected from the grave as a 433 with a .30 over bore.

Built maybe 30 Chevy engines only a few FORDs. Like the GS convert best in the C7 series. Want more of a cruiser then a track day car. COBRA fills that niche.

A couple of years ago, my grandfather kept going on about his. Never heard of one until this post!

Nice collection!!!
Old 01-16-2019, 04:48 PM
Safety Car

1960 TR3-A SCCA race car
1962 TR3-B SCCA race car
1968 FIAT 124 Sedan
1983 Chevy Z-28
1995 Lexus SC 400 V8
1995 Ford Explorer
1998 Ford Ranger
2000 Ford Explorer
2005 Ford Expedition
2006 Acura TL
2004 Xterra
2009 Ford Expedition XL
2011 BMW 335IS
2013 BMW 135IS Convert
2014 BMW 435 MPPK/MPE
2016 Genesis R-Spec
2017 CX-5
2018 BMW 440 MPPSK/THP

@BEAR-AvHistory Wow great car history!!! Maybe you're not one for attention, but I think it would be great to start your own thread as many other AZine members have. God knows we've derailed this thread already...lol

Old 01-16-2019, 07:51 PM
Suzuka Master

@BEAR-AvHistory Wow great car history!!! Maybe you're not one for attention, but I think it would be great to start your own thread as many other AZine members have. God knows we've derailed this thread already...lol

I'll be good & stay on topic. That said I have always like cars regardless of brand. Never been a true fanboy of any specific brand although some will doubt that.
nist7 (01-16-2019)