2018 A-Spec reviews

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 04:46 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
It's funny how we Canadians we get the MPS A/S 3 in the A-spec, whereas you guys get the MXM4.
Yeah that is weird. First thing I would do is replace the latter with the former.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:50 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by alpha0
May be, majority in canada must be using winter tires. That is not the case in USA, so Acura may have decided to put grand touring all season tires in US.
I guess so. Would be nice if they offer performance tires as an option like they do with the old 3G TL-S or Civic Si.

Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran
Yeah that is weird. First thing I would do is replace the latter with the former.
Yea the PS3 are nice high performance all-seasons. I was going to get them for my rdx until I found a really good deal on a set of Conti DWS06.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:16 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by a35tl
If I'm not mistaken the 2nd generation TLX is set to be introduced in late '19 as a '20 model. I think this generation TLX with the new A-Spec trim will be as good as this one gets.
I get a feeling that RDX and ILX FMC will come next year, MDX and RLX FMC in 2019 and TLX 2nd generation will arrive in 2020 as 2021 model. Plus RLX MMC will be announced later this year. If they try to launch smaller SUV and non hybrid NSX in between, their plate is full.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by alpha0
I get a feeling that RDX and ILX FMC will come next year, MDX and RLX FMC in 2019 and TLX 2nd generation will arrive in 2020 as 2021 model. Plus RLX MMC will be announced later this year. If they try to launch smaller SUV and non hybrid NSX in between, their plate is full.
They already have a cdx in china. And with the growing demand for small sized suvs; x1, glc, q30, nx, q3, etc, it might be a good idea to launch it here in NA.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:50 PM
I may be fat but I'm slow

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
I agree with you completely. However, since we can only purchase what they give us the option to purchase, I pose the question to anyone who would like to answer: A-Spec TLX or Advance TLX? If you were buying one today, which ends up in your driveway?

Probably an Audi A4, if I'm honest. I just don't see the advancement in the TLX over my 2011 TSX to justify the bucks. I'll drive a TLX Advance and an A-Spec, but I bet I end up at the Audi dealer across the street.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:03 PM
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran
The A-Specs I have seen here in AB have the MX4M

Im guessing just a supply issue..
Old 06-02-2017, 08:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
Originally Posted by HondaGuy347
Probably an Audi A4, if I'm honest. I just don't see the advancement in the TLX over my 2011 TSX to justify the bucks. I'll drive a TLX Advance and an A-Spec, but I bet I end up at the Audi dealer across the street.
Eh, I guess you could do that if faster, better looking and more efficient is your thing.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:56 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by svtmike
Eh, I guess you could do that if faster, better looking and more efficient is your thing.
You forgot more refined and better handling
Old 06-03-2017, 12:18 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree with you completely. However, since we can only purchase what they give us the option to purchase, I pose the question to anyone who would like to answer: A-Spec TLX or Advance TLX? If you were buying one today, which ends up in your driveway?

Although I like the thought of having a heated steering wheel, heated rear seats and the surround camera, I think I would still choose the A-Spec simply because it looks so good and those 3 items aren't hugely important to me. I love the look of the A-Spec. The A-Spec has gorgeous rims, a nicer rear end, the round fog lights, the fatter steering wheel and upgraded suspension and tires. To me, the trade off is worth the visual appeal alone.
Well to be honest it would be either of these three the Audi A4, A5 Sportback, or BMW 430/440i Grand Coupe, since all of those cars are just better then the TLX but if dealers are willing to give deals like they are on the 17s after a month or two maybe a A-Spec may be in my driveway. Since I am in the market for a new car in this segment.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:17 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by comptr
Well to be honest it would be either of these three the Audi A4, A5 Sportback, or BMW 430/440i Grand Coupe, since all of those cars are just better then the TLX but if dealers are willing to give deals like they are on the 17s after a month or two maybe a A-Spec may be in my driveway. Since I am in the market for a new car in this segment.
Cars are a long play for me, so I buy the car that I love and keep it for a very long time.

I paid full MSRP for my 3G TL (almost one of the first thousand made) and still have it. Compromising a fraction of the cost of the car against a owning a vehicle I don't want to keep is false economy for me.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Cars are a long play for me, so I buy the car that I love and keep it for a very long time.

I paid full MSRP for my 3G TL (almost one of the first thousand made) and still have it. Compromising a fraction of the cost of the car against a owning a vehicle I don't want to keep is false economy for me.
I fully agree with your reasoning. When people say they saved 5-10K compared to other models, well you also compromised on a few things. Apples to apples, the TLX no longer competes with others on the market (at least for top trim). I feel that for now, you're closing your eyes on too many things to classify it as a best buy. When popping 50 large, what's an extra 5K to keep the car for 5+ years?

Case in point, my selected model (Aspec elite, Canada) comes in at 53.5K. At that price, I now have the selection to add just a few grand more and get a completely different car that no longer touches bargain, but now touches the performance side of things. For me, I'd have to pay 6K more (current TLX cost me 48K discounted) to get basically the same car with a little sportiness now injected. After having had the patience to endure the terrible 9ZF, giving Acura what THEY want is not in my best interest. Good luck to the ones who get what they want, but I have a feeling people will come for the looks but leave for price (in Canada at least).
Old 06-03-2017, 01:59 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pyrodan007
I fully agree with your reasoning. When people say they saved 5-10K compared to other models, well you also compromised on a few things. Apples to apples, the TLX no longer competes with others on the market (at least for top trim). I feel that for now, you're closing your eyes on too many things to classify it as a best buy. When popping 50 large, what's an extra 5K to keep the car for 5+ years?

Case in point, my selected model (Aspec elite, Canada) comes in at 53.5K. At that price, I now have the selection to add just a few grand more and get a completely different car that no longer touches bargain, but now touches the performance side of things. For me, I'd have to pay 6K more (current TLX cost me 48K discounted) to get basically the same car with a little sportiness now injected. After having had the patience to endure the terrible 9ZF, giving Acura what THEY want is not in my best interest. Good luck to the ones who get what they want, but I have a feeling people will come for the looks but leave for price (in Canada at least).
Yup this is how I feel. Sure I could save some money buying the TLX but if I spend a few thousand more I can get something that is just better then the TLX. Plus it seems like you have to compromise to buy TLX.

I love acura/Honda products my parents has a 03 TL Type-s & 04 MDX Touring and last year replaced the 03 TL with a 2016 RLX Advance Packaged car. So I want to stay with acura and buy the TLX but it's so hard to when the competition is so good, but I will give it a chance and go see it and test drive it when it at our local dealership.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:48 PM
Pro

Received 534 Likes on 262 Posts
Just priced out V6 ASpec SH-AWD, 48 months lease, 20km or 12.5mil. Total price $740/month.....

That is Pricy!!! Like others have mentioned, there are better options at this price point that it will embarrass this car in performance.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by HondaGuy347
Explain to me how an Audi A4 is better than a 2018 TLX Elite ASpec with all the bells and whistles. Test drive the Aspec, you will be pleasantly surprised.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:00 AM
Burning Brakes

I just priced a fully loaded Audi A4: $56,500 Cdb MSRP. For this, you get a cheaper 4 cylinder engine with 252 horsepower and max speed of 209 km/h with 0-100 km/h speed of 6 seconds.

The 2018 TLX gives you a more expensice 6 cylinder engine that has more horsepower and speed than the A4. Also, the exterior looks better (Audi's look like boxes and are overrated in appearance), the TLX Aspec seats are of higher quality, the ELS sound system is better than the Bang in the A4, among other things. It drives smoother and handles just as good. And it costs less. The TLX has greater long term reliability and way better resale value.

TLX Aspec is going to be an Acura classic.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rockyboy
I just priced a fully loaded Audi A4: $56,500 Cdb MSRP. For this, you get a cheaper 4 cylinder engine with 252 horsepower and max speed of 209 km/h with 0-100 km/h speed of 6 seconds.

The 2018 TLX gives you a more expensice 6 cylinder engine that has more horsepower and speed than the A4. Also, the exterior looks better (Audi's look like boxes and are overrated in appearance), the TLX Aspec seats are of higher quality, the ELS sound system is better than the Bang in the A4, among other things. It drives smoother and handles just as good. And it costs less.

A4 is faster than a TLX, proven in reviews. A loaded aspec in Canada is 53.5 and you get no tech innovations. A4 for 56k is decent value, the 252 hp is all there from a low rpm. Prove how the A-spec will be a classic if the TLX wasn't, same engine.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:51 AM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts

The 2018 TLX gives you a more expensice 6 cylinder engine that has more horsepower and speed than the A4. Also, the exterior looks better (Audi's look like boxes and are overrated in appearance), the TLX Aspec seats are of higher quality, the ELS sound system is better than the Bang in the A4, among other things. It drives smoother and handles just as good. And it costs less. The TLX has greater long term reliability and way better resale value.

Just realized you meant Canadian prices. Got a quote for a 2018 S4 for $56,500 US. With a lease payment about $50 more than a A-Spec TLX. Almost makes it a no brainer to go with the Audi right now for the S4, not so sure about the turbo 4's. . .
Old 06-06-2017, 10:54 AM
Burning Brakes

The 2018 TLX Elite Aspec is a lot more refined than the previous version. They improved the suspension and handling, and it also feels faster. The A4 goes 0 to 100 in 6 seconds. The TLX does it in 5.7 or 5.8 seconds so the TLX is faster. Pricing: 2018 TLX fully loaded is about $51,000 before freight. Audi is $56,500 before freight. That's a $5500 difference. Acura will also give better discounts later on than Audi. Most of the cost of your car is lost in value over time. The Audi will depreciate A LOT worse than the TLX because the TLX is built to last. The Audi will start breaking down after the warranty expires.

If you wanted to get a great reliable luxury sports sedan for cheaper than the audi A4 that is not Acura, you should get the base Lexus GS350 (Lexus Canada is giving a $3500 discount right now so it ends up being less than $55,000. For that, you get V6 311 horsepower, standard Navigation and standard Lexus Safety+ features.

Last edited by rockyboy; 06-06-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Speed_Racer
Just realized you meant Canadian prices. Got a quote for a 2018 S4 for $56,500 US. With a lease payment about $50 more than a A-Spec TLX. Almost makes it a no brainer to go with the Audi right now for the S4, not so sure about the turbo 4's. . .
A fully loaded S4 is $68,290 Canadian. That's the same price as an Acura RLX which is a much better vehicle.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
The 2018 TLX Elite Aspec is a lot more refined than the previous version. They improved the suspension and handling, and it also feels faster. The A4 goes 0 to 100 in 6 seconds. The TLX does it in 5.7 or 5.8 seconds so the TLX is faster. Pricing: 2018 TLX fully loaded is about $51,000 before freight. Audi is $56,500 before freight. That's a $5500 difference. Acura will also give better discounts later on than Audi. Most of the cost of your car is lost in value over time. The Audi will depreciate A LOT worse than the TLX because the TLX is built to last. The Audi will start breaking down after the warranty expires.

If you wanted to get a great reliable luxury sports sedan for cheaper than the audi A4 that is not Acura, you should get the base Lexus GS350 (Lexus Canada is giving a $3500 discount right now so it ends up being less than $55,000. For that, you get V6 311 horsepower, standard Navigation and standard Lexus Safety+ features.
The A4 Quattro goes to 60 in 5.4 seconds and have recorded even lower times some 5.2. The FWD A4 does it in 5.8, also the Audi Interior is light years above the TLX you can't possibly think the interior is nicer in the A Spec than the A4.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kense:
pyrodan007 (06-06-2017), TacoBello (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 11:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
I have followed every car within $20,000 of the TLX. And I have no bias. Ive owned four Acuras (and more total Honda products than you can imagine), and I'm on my second A7 right now.

To me there are pros and cons for the A4 vs TLX. I think a fair comparison on price of the two as comparably equipped as you can get is in the $8,000 range difference. That is not inconsequential for a lot of people. I think acceleration is too close to call but the turbos have more low speed torque. But nine gear ratios makes the low speed torque less of an issue.

The interior in the Audi is generally quite good, but the iPad glued to the dash is about a 90% deal killer for me. I don't think you can declare either one of them the winner because if you prefer the Audi you can't ignore that it costs more.

The Acura TLX is more of a direct competitor to an Avalon, an ES350 at the upper end or an IS250/350 across the range. Maybe a Q50, but I'd have to have the Red Sport and it blows away the budget at mid to upper $60s. I've omitted American brands because I still have a hard time taking most of their mainstream cars seriously, but that's just me.
The following users liked this post:
mapleloaf (06-07-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 11:49 AM
Team Owner

It is just fine with me if rockyboi likes the TLX better. He is wrong more often than a stopped clock.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jjsC5
I have followed every car within $20,000 of the TLX. And I have no bias. Ive owned four Acuras (and more total Honda products than you can imagine), and I'm on my second A7 right now.

To me there are pros and cons for the A4 vs TLX. I think a fair comparison on price of the two as comparably equipped as you can get is in the $8,000 range difference. That is not inconsequential for a lot of people. I think acceleration is too close to call but the turbos have more low speed torque. But nine gear ratios makes the low speed torque less of an issue.

The interior in the Audi is generally quite good, but the iPad glued to the dash is about a 90% deal killer for me. I don't think you can declare either one of them the winner because if you prefer the Audi you can't ignore that it costs more.

The Acura TLX is more of a direct competitor to an Avalon, an ES350 at the upper end or an IS250/350 across the range. Maybe a Q50, but I'd have to have the Red Sport and it blows away the budget at mid to upper $60s. I've omitted American brands because I still have a hard time taking most of their mainstream cars seriously, but that's just me.
Are you talking about Canadian Money? I got my Red Sport for 47K out the door with 3 miles on the odometer.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:01 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Yeah wtf people... If we're talking about money, state the currency!!
Old 06-06-2017, 12:05 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Speed limiter/governor?

Does the new car still have the 130 mph speed limiter?
Old 06-06-2017, 12:15 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts

I don't think you built a fully loaded Audi A4 2.0T man. I just did and it is over CAD$60k.

The Audi 2.0T AWD is faster from a standing start if you use launch control. Otherwise, it's pretty much dead even with the TLX V6 AWD from a roll.

Exterior styling is subjective. You might think the TLX A-spec looks better, but some will say the A4 looks better.

I'm not sure the TLX A-spec becoming a classic man...haha
Old 06-06-2017, 01:16 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by iforyou
I'm not sure the TLX A-spec becoming a classic man...haha
I can see it being rare though.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I don't think the TLX will be a classic in any sense of the word. The A-spec will be a hot seller for sure, but not a classic...yet. I plan to test drive one once I'm back home. In fact, I have a 2017 FWD TLX as a loaner now. I plan to write a quickie review on it. Suffice to say, the 9AT gremlins seem resolved.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:24 PM
I may be fat but I'm slow

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by jjsC5

I built up the A4 Premium Plus Quattro with Tech, Sport, and Cold Weather packs. That's how I'd buy it. Comes to $48.3k. TLX is $44.8k with A-Spec, and $45.8k with Advance. That's a $2500-3500 difference, not $8k. It's also currently possible to get the A4 for about 8-9% off, which puts it on parity with the TLX (but I bet in <6 months you can get the same discount on a TLX, so they'll be back to a ~$3500 difference).

YMMV, but I know the TLX and A4 aren't in the same classes, I really don't care. They're both ~$45k sporty AWD sedans with a decent back seat that are appealing to me, that's the common denominator for me. And I've been driving Acuras for almost 15 years (2004 TSX, 2011 TSX, wife drives a 2015 RDX) and frankly, I don't see how Acura has been advancing in that time. The engine in the TLX is basically the same as you got in a 2004 TL (in fact you could get a faster one, the 3.7L 305hp version, in the past). The transmission is worse. The 2-screen setup is worse than the single-screen touch screen in my 2004 TSX. SH-AWD is cool, but that came to the TL in, what, 2009 or 2010? Audi has a great engine, it has a great DSG transmission, and it is moving tech forward with things like the virtual cockpit. And, oh by the way, I can get a sport package AND a heated steering wheel in it at the same time (facepalm Acura). The Audi is down on HP, but is usably faster. And, my latest Acuras haven't been particularly great with the things I traditionally bought Acuras for, reliability (hello stupid $1100 to repair a VTC actuator, and a failed $100 bluetooth mic) and the fit and finish (rattles, mis-aligned panels, etc) is crap. So if I'm not getting great reliability or crazy value, those are what kept me in a "lesser" Acura instead of something more premium, I might as well go ahead and buy something more premium.

That's where I'm at.
The following users liked this post:
pyrodan007 (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 03:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kense
The A4 Quattro goes to 60 in 5.4 seconds and have recorded even lower times some 5.2. The FWD A4 does it in 5.8, also the Audi Interior is light years above the TLX you can't possibly think the interior is nicer in the A Spec than the A4.
Where did you get the A4 figures from? Audi states that 0 to 100 km/h is 6 seconds for top of the line A4. The S4 might be faster but you pay $15,000 cdn more. My 2016 rdx elite does 0 to 100 km/h in 6.2 seconds
Old 06-06-2017, 04:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Where did you get the A4 figures from? Audi states that 0 to 100 km/h is 6 seconds for top of the line A4. The S4 might be faster but you pay $15,000 cdn more. My 2016 rdx elite does 0 to 100 km/h in 6.2 seconds
2017 Audi A4 Quattro First Test Review
Old 06-06-2017, 05:26 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Don't bother. This 2.0Toy (circa 2016+) is competent but still sound like a f*ing Civic. Doesn't belong in a $50K car.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Saintor
Don't bother. This 2.0Toy (circa 2016+) is competent but still sound like a f*ing Civic. Doesn't belong in a $50K car.
Over 50k for a less than 300hp V6 'sports' car, well doesn't belong either. For a 4 cy to be just as fast, engine sound can only get you so far. Unless prices drop over the next few months, my next car will not be a TLX.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:44 PM
Banned

Over 50k for a less than 300hp V6 'sports' car, well doesn't belong either. For a 4 cy to be just as fast, engine sound can only get you so far. Unless prices drop over the next few months, my next car will not be a TLX.
Engine note can be more important than speed; it constitutes 50% of the driving experience. Both my 134HP Mazda Precidia GS V6 1.8L and BMW E46 I6 184HP reminded me that. Sound is what you hear 100% of the time. Ultimate acceleration will account for much, MUCH far less.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kense
The reviewers claim 5.4 seconds in 0 to 60 mph. I'm doubtful the A4 can go that fast. Would like to see their methodology of testing or another test by someone else to confirm. If those are the actual numbers that is super fast for a 4 cylinder engine.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:12 PM
Burning Brakes

I still think the TLX is one of the best values in the luxury sedan segment. It's at a reasonable price for the fully loaded vehicle with all the gadgets one would want.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:35 PM
Team Owner

The reviewers claim 5.4 seconds in 0 to 60 mph. I'm doubtful the A4 can go that fast. Would like to see their methodology of testing or another test by someone else to confirm. If those are the actual numbers that is super fast for a 4 cylinder engine.
More than one review has got 5.0 to 5.5 to 60 for the 2.0T in the A4. The engine has a torque band that any TLX can only dream of.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
It's more than conceivable that the 2.0T is underrated at a reported 252 hp / 273 lb-ft with a 3,670 lb curb weight. C/D posted:

Zero to 60 mph: 5.2 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 13.9 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 13.9 sec @ 100 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 155 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.90 g

The fastest TLX time reported by C/D was on TLX V6 PAWS (290 hp / 267 lb-ft w/ 3,617 lb curb weight):

Zero to 60 mph: 5.7 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 13.3 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 14.2 sec @ 103 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 134 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 182 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad*: 0.83 g

I'd be interested in seeing some dyno numbers on the new A4 2.0T. I imagine it would be quite revealing.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:06 PM
Banned

It's more than conceivable that the 2.0T is underrated at a reported 252 hp / 273 lb-ft with a 3,670 lb curb weight. C/D posted:
We all know that... it is just not interesting....
Old 06-06-2017, 08:47 PM
Burning Brakes

More than one review has got 5.0 to 5.5 to 60 for the 2.0T in the A4. The engine has a torque band that any TLX can only dream of.
If true, that's really fast for a 4 cylinder vehicle. I still wouldn't get an Audi though due to long term reliability problems. Audi has history of too many issues and you'll likely be calling the tow truck a few times after a few years of ownership.

Quick Reply: 2018 A-Spec reviews