2015 TLX is official!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 05:03 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
They've had trouble with the whole InTouch system. All kinds of bugs related to lockups, reverse cameras not working immediately, apps still missing, having to pull over to the side of the road and restart the car to get stuff working again. There are a few youtube videos showing some of these issues. There have been bug fixes that seem to have fixed a lot of these issues since release, but some are still issues from what I can tell. To be honest a lot of the people that bought immediately seem like they were just beta testers. I feel for them.
Infiniti has bought back more than a few cars. A very few had problems with the steer by wire (an option on a few trims). Yet they sold almost 6,000 last month. I'd give it a year to straighten these things out before I'd consider buying. Overall I think it is a nice car. I want them to add rear folding seats as standard instead of a pricey option, and ventilated seats. Infiniti is the kind of company that would make changes like that in a year instead of waiting for an MMC or FMC like Acura.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:03 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
Don't regret your TL...the 4th Generation is a fine vehicle and seems to age very well, in fact, people are now coming around to the design so don't beat yourself up. Enjoy it and don't look back....and like potmilkz said, there is no guarantee that it will look nice....for all we know, it could be hideous!

Now I have to ask you....surely you knew the TLX was about to be announced and it was coming out? Its not like this was a surprise so its hard to imagine you could be disappointed by news knowing that it was just around the corner. Unless its what it will seem to offer as far as engine/transmission that now makes you reconsider your purchase?
Exactly. When the TLX comes out, it probably will be at MSRP for at least a little while. If the car is ugly and sales in the first couple months are lackluster that may be a different story though.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:44 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Glad to see something coming out on the TLX and that RLX Hybrid is starting to grow on me.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
I am really looking forward to the new TLX. It's been over 5 years since the 4G TL debuted. Glad the time for a new one is nigh.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:09 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts
Some news I found.

The new TLX is expected to carry over its dual-powertrain strategy, but with a twist. According to recent reports, the TLX is also expected to inherit Acura’s Precision All-Wheel Steer (P-AWS) rear-wheel-steering setup from the larger RLX, in order to attain extra quickness.

http://www.associatednews.com/techno...cs-review/6441
The following users liked this post:
Rocketsfan (12-27-2013)
Old 12-26-2013, 09:32 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
I'd be surprised if the TLX FWD version did not have PAWS.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:51 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Honda is testing steer by wire tech on Euro Accord Type S. The car that is more sporty than TSX.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:32 AM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
Because the TLX has to fill the shoes of the TL and TSX, I really hope it's not downgraded to fit the TSX budget. Especially since it seems like they're already trying to properly situate the RLX.

-2 TL = TLX, isn't a good start.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:44 AM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
Mods: Can we combine this thread with the other TLX threads in the 4G section?
Old 12-27-2013, 09:02 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
6MT or at least 8AT, Earth Dreams 2.0T 280HP and SH-AWD!

Please dont make me leave to Cadillac, Audi or BMW!
Old 12-27-2013, 03:19 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a loaded Q50S AWD. Came out of a 2012 TL SH-AWD. Was my fifth TL, but couldn't wait for the TLX and the RL was just too dull. I am having issues with my Q50 almost daily. Many are InTouch related (and I have the most recent software. It is better than it was, but still unacceptable). I am having a host of issues beyond InTouch though, all software or electronic. Infiniti is flying someone in next month to meet with me and inspect the car.

Needless to say, it has been a very disappointing ownership experience so far. The car is beautiful and when working properly drives great. However, as someone else said, I feel like I paid a lot of money to test a product that was not ready to be released. More than a few times I have found myself missing the TL.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ I am very sorry to hear about your Infiniti's woes. It is never a good feeling to spend lots of money on something that is suppose to bring a smile on your face but instead, brings you grief. I appreciate your patience and being open and honest about your experience. I was very excited/tempted about the Q50 but reading stories like this sure makes me glad I didn't jump ship....
Old 12-27-2013, 04:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
I sure hope Acura surprises the auto industry with the TLX. As of now I'm not going to get my hopes up. Based on early spy shots all I can assume is it's just going to be another sedan that has the exact same boring looks as the ILX, RDX, MDX, and RLX but just in a slightly different body style. They need to do something amazing like Lexus did with their new IS and GS for example. Why does Acura have to make all their cars look the same? I don't want a car that looks just like the RLX or the MDX. I want something unique and special. The IS and GS look almost nothing alike with exception of a somewhat similar grill theme. Even the interiors are very different.
I'm not gonna hold my breathe for now because what I saw in the spy shots looked just like 4G body styling with the same front end as their other cars.....blah.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
I sure hope Acura surprises the auto industry with the TLX. As of now I'm not going to get my hopes up. Based on early spy shots all I can assume is it's just going to be another sedan that has the exact same boring looks as the ILX, RDX, MDX, and RLX but just in a slightly different body style. They need to do something amazing like Lexus did with their new IS and GS for example. Why does Acura have to make all their cars look the same? I don't want a car that looks just like the RLX or the MDX. I want something unique and special. The IS and GS look almost nothing alike with exception of a somewhat similar grill theme. Even the interiors are very different.
I'm not gonna hold my breathe for now because what I saw in the spy shots looked just like 4G body styling with the same front end as their other cars.....blah.
Car was heavily camoed so its hard to say if its bland or if it looks like the 4g. Im still hoping that they score a homerun on the design... 2 more weeks before we find out I guess
a35tl (12-27-2013)
Old 12-27-2013, 05:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by mondster
Car was heavily camoed so its hard to say if its bland or if it looks like the 4g. Im still hoping that they score a homerun on the design... 2 more weeks before we find out I guess
Yeah I know it was heavily camod, but the general body style didn't seem that appealing. But your right, the only way to really tell is to see it in a couple weeks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed as well that they really nail this one.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:07 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is this the new Euro Accord?

So will the new TLX be the same as the new Euro Accord? I think for the Euro market the need to create a small(er) sedan with more traditional look than the 4th gen TL. At the same time, this would mean that the TL is being retired, not the TLX.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:40 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
from TLX press release it says the car will be more sporty than TSX. and by testing Steer by Wire tech on Euro Accord Type S platform. it seems clear TLX is some thing along that line.
Honda testing 3 cylinder turbo for Euro Civic, 1.5L turbo for ILX and 2.0L turbo on USDM Accord.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:25 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
^^ I am very sorry to hear about your Infiniti's woes. It is never a good feeling to spend lots of money on something that is suppose to bring a smile on your face but instead, brings you grief. I appreciate your patience and being open and honest about your experience. I was very excited/tempted about the Q50 but reading stories like this sure makes me glad I didn't jump ship....

Same here. I would've been in a Q50 a few months ago if it hadn't been for all the issues I saw people having. Now I'm just waiting for the TL and hoping my current TL lasts. However, now I'm worried about the TL having all kinds of issues. lol. I bought my 3G TL the month after it was released and it's been pretty reliable, so hopefully that streak continues if I decide to buy the 5G.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:27 PM
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX

Do I spy and intercooler there?....
Old 12-27-2013, 09:28 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28

You just said the IS and GS look nothing alike with the exception of their grilles. So you should be ok if the TLX looks somewhat similar to the RLX in the front, but not in the back, right? Because that's probably what we're going to see.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Summer is Coming

This is a very interesting article to read. While the article was posted on 25 Dec there have been previous articles written about some of this tech. But this one sums up a lot of things.. worth a read.

It seems to me that Honda is moving in the direction of smaller turbo charged engines. And the 8 DCT transmission sounds very interesting. I wonder though if it will be ready for the TLX. Ready meaning both the 2.0T and the 8 DCT with torque converter. Maybe this is why the TLX has been a little late in development. If they do get the 2.0T and 8DCT into the TLX, with all the bugs worked out, it could be a great car. They just need to keep the entry pricing in the TSX territory. I don't mind spending money on a good car, but they can't leave a big gap between the ILX and TLX.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...wertrain_tech/
MtnMan (12-29-2013)
Old 12-28-2013, 08:30 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
it think it's quite funny people are talking about DCT, 2.0 turbo, etc. we're talking about Honda people, Honda NA to be specific , we just received our 6 speed auto couple years ago. i'll put my money on the slightly detuned 3.5 ED V6 from RLX with PAWS as an option for higher trim and 6 speed auto standard. don't get your hope up folks.

Last edited by kevTL888; 12-28-2013 at 08:32 PM.
jwong77 (12-29-2013)
Old 12-28-2013, 08:52 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
v6 or v8 version please?
Old 12-28-2013, 10:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by kevTL888
it think it's quite funny people are talking about DCT, 2.0 turbo, etc. we're talking about Honda people, Honda NA to be specific , we just received our 6 speed auto couple years ago. i'll put my money on the slightly detuned 3.5 ED V6 from RLX with PAWS as an option for higher trim and 6 speed auto standard. don't get your hope up folks.
100% agree
Old 12-29-2013, 12:58 AM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
Originally Posted by kevTL888
Originally Posted by dzionny_dzionassi
100% agree
You two need to read.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...wertrain_tech/

2.0-liter Turbocharged Inline Four-Cylinder Engine

This engine is a different story. While it may be called in the future to replace a V-6 engine, our test vehicle was a European-spec Civic Type R and it was tuned for performance, full-stop. And what an engine it is! With “275+ horsepower” and 295 lb-ft of torque onboard, this car was a riot. Hit the “R” button on the dash and at any RPM you get an impressively strong push back into the seat. That a turbo-four could feel this strong makes you giddy, and you keep flooring it just to get that rush again. The engine revs very quickly and pulls evenly all the way up the dial. In-gear acceleration is strong, but you’ll want to downshift just for that extra pull. If we had complaints, they would be that it torque-steers a bit when you launch hard. Another is that the throttle is too sensitive in R mode. We also noticed the exhaust was a bit dark, meaning the engine will require more tuning to meet emissions regulations, which we hope won’t spoil the power delivery. We very much hope to see this engine just as it is in a U.S.-spec performance model as soon as possible.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz2oqQoU2uP
Old 12-29-2013, 02:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
^I still prefer the butter smooth Honda V6... less noise and whatnot

Originally Posted by amill
Finally. They are talking the vehicle up, especially the tech. Lets see what they actually bring to the table.
well they knocked the accord down from a double wishbone to a McPherson strut design....and we all know the TL and accord share the same platform.... so lets hope that Acura does not get too happy with the cost cutting.......

I have driven many a car with front struts and they come nowhere near lasting as long...before having to be replaced :bummer:

Originally Posted by Andy74
So will the new TLX be the same as the new Euro Accord? I think for the Euro market the need to create a small(er) sedan with more traditional look than the 4th gen TL. At the same time, this would mean that the TL is being retired, not the TLX.

I thought it was the TSX getting the AXE?

Last edited by YeuEmMaiMai; 12-29-2013 at 02:14 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:28 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
It's about time for a new TL, and I'm cautiously optimistic.

Wish List:
+ Aggressive styling. I'm really afraid this car will look as bland as the 3G RL. It looks like a lot of folks here share this fear.
+ Better looking / more well integrated body kit on the sport model (the front/rear pieces on the MMC were awful IMO).
+ 2015 model year release of a TLX with SH-AWD.
+ What I'm really hoping for is something with the RLX's SH-AWD hybrid system in a sportier package.
+ Return of the Type-S? Wheels / aero kit / engine / suspension.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
This is a great opportunity for Acura. Luxury buyers want options. By combining the TSX/TL they can truly offer a host of configurations, hopefully they choose that route.

I never buy a first year model, and I think if the new TLX isn't immediately praised Honda will make changes sooner than anticipated. Look how quickly they made changes to the Civic and its sales were already soaring.

I'm beginning my 3rd year with my TL, first Honda product I've owned and I have very little bad to say. Since I joined this forum one complaint has resounded - not enough low end torque. Sounds like Honda has listened if they're going the Turbo route. Next top complaint I've read and agree with is lack of fold down seats. We'll just have to wait and see.

I would love to see the top trim TLX include a version of the hybrid AWD employed by the RLX, but won't cry if it doesn't happen. All things being equal if the new TLX weighs less and has similar power output as the current gen it should feel quicker.
a35tl (12-29-2013)
Old 12-29-2013, 11:28 AM
Suzuka Master

I agree with you ^^....I am not going to freak out if they don't have the SH-SH-AWD or the PAWS, even the fold down seats would not be a deal breaker for me. Don't get me wrong, it would be great if it did, but I will not be as upset as Rocket_man *lol*

Now for me, this is what I want:

1. SH-AWD
2. A little bit smaller
3. AGGRESSIVE STYLING with decent accessories. This is going to be challenging with no visible exhaust tips.
4. A better integration of the USB playback and not lock the phone/navi when the vehicle is in motion
5. No cost saving as far as leather seats and interior material
6. Would prefer a non 'tactile' screen although I know this will not happen....Acura has been bashed for the excessive buttons so this is the way they are going.
7. Attractive wheels (I really dislike the one in the camoe'd vehicle we saw!)
Old 12-29-2013, 02:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My wish list:

1. Driving experience: worthy competitor to the 335i xDrive (power/torque, handling, AWD).
2. Styling: aggressive. The marketing speak about the right balance of "muscular" makes me wonder if we'll just get a TSX morphed into the new design language of the RLX.
3. Acura reliability: while I've driven many, many Acura models past 150k, this time around I just care about the first 48k.
4. Tech: I love the tech in the new Stingray, just don't want to end up a beta tester like the poor Q50 owners. Don't lock me out of everything!
5. Wheels: I put this last because aftermarket provides many more options and I'll likely go with both a winter setup and summer setup. But I would prefer at least one of them has nice wheels from the factory.

Now, what are the odds we'll see:

1) Wagon
2) MT
3) SH-AWD
3) Turbo
Old 12-29-2013, 02:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MtnMan

1) Wagon
2) MT
3) SH-AWD
3) Turbo
My predictions:

1. 0%
2. 70%
3. 100%
4. 90% but at MMC only
MtnMan (12-29-2013)
Old 12-29-2013, 08:17 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
/\ My suspicion is that the MT will disappear in this iteration of the TLX, esp since Acura had mentioned an "advanced transmission" which probably refers to DCT. Acura would likely prefer to spend more $$/R&D in the more readily available DCT than the rare MT. Of course I could be wrong.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:26 PM

My wish list, which IMHO is very doable and shouldn't be cost prohibitive

1) MT and 7spd DCT options
2) SH-SH-AWD w/PAWs
3) 330+ hp
4) rear folding seats
5) Rear seats that does not have the hump in the middle seat
6) More options available (ie. HUD, dual sun roof, dual bi-xenon HIDs, a true rear H/AC unit a la the MDX, etc.)
7) A more universally front end that is aggressive yet not plastered with chrome
8) Flat trunk space with 15+ cu ft storage
9) The turbo 4-290+hp engine!
10) Coupe with SH-AWD, 6 MT, and turbo 290hp 4 cylinder engine
Old 12-29-2013, 11:47 PM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by MtnMan
My wish list:

1) Wagon
2) MT
3) SH-AWD
3) Turbo
The press release said "AWD" it did NOT say "SH-AWD." I think that is a significant distinction. I'm thinking that Acura's SH-AWD is just too expensive, heavy, and a drain on HP and like the RDX I suspect they put in the "AWD with Intelligent Control" and perhaps mate it with PAW-S, but I'm guessing SH-AWD, as good as it may be, will not show up in the TLX.

Originally Posted by docboy
/\ My suspicion is that the MT will disappear in this iteration of the TLX, esp since Acura had mentioned an "advanced transmission" which probably refers to DCT. Acura would likely prefer to spend more $$/R&D in the more readily available DCT than the rare MT. Of course I could be wrong.
Agree, if they put a DCT in this car then an MT is going backwards. You can't shift faster. Even though there are a lot of MT fans on this site, they don't sell well and complicate the build and supply chains.

Two things I want to see are:

- Fold down rear seats
- Ventilated or cooled front seats.

The more I read up on the 4cyl 2.0L Turbo the more I think Acura should make this the base engine. I had originally thought they would put an upgraded 2.4L NA engine from the Accord as the base, but then what is taking Acura so long to get this car out? That would be pretty low hanging fruit, especially with the CVT. I'm guessing they are working overtime to ready the new powertrains. There is still work to go on the 2.0L T and the 8DCT and I'm hoping the delay is to get these products finished. This would greatly help differentiate the TLX from those that will say it is 'just a glorified Accord' and give the car the powertrain it needs to compete at a base level as well as a V6 option for those that want a little more.

Wishing means notiing though, I guess we'll know more in a few weeks.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
I'll be happy with whatever they do to make the car more competitive...

As for my girlfriend, her biggest complaint about my car is that the passenger heated seat does not warm her back. The passenger side only has a butt warmer.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts

2) SH-SH-AWD w/PAWs
3) 330+ hp
4) rear folding seats
6) More options available (ie. HUD, dual sun roof, dual bi-xenon HIDs, a true rear H/AC unit a la the MDX, etc.)
7) A more universally front end that is aggressive yet not plastered with chrome
Doable, but not very likely on virtually everything on your list. And layoff some of those drugs ;-)
Old 12-30-2013, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by KeithL
Doable, but not very likely on virtually everything on your list. And layoff some of those drugs ;-)
/\ It's the weed I tell you, it's the weed.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

2) SH-SH-AWD w/PAWs
3) 330+ hp
4) rear folding seats
My wish list
1 - A pleasing front end (not just to a few but liked by most - nothing like the 4G).
2 - Great gas mileage
3 - Great acceleration
4 - Quiet interior
5 - Great handling
6 - State of the art GPS
7 - GPS that lets you enter a destination while in motion or an easy hack for it.
8 - State of the art infotainment that works with the #1 smart phone platform.
9 - Plenty of trunk space.
10 - A chilled cup holder like MB has.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:27 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Heated steering wheel and seat warmer for back too..keyfob that will withstand more abuse and key fob with some way to link it with a remote start option..ability to completely turn off the drls while the car is in park..ability to have stereo continue to play after turning engine off.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:01 AM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by boe_d
My wish list
1 - A pleasing front end (not just to a few but liked by most - nothing like the 4G).
2 - Great gas mileage
3 - Great acceleration
4 - Quiet interior
5 - Great handling
6 - State of the art GPS
7 - GPS that lets you enter a destination while in motion or an easy hack for it.
8 - State of the art infotainment that works with the #1 smart phone platform.
9 - Plenty of trunk space.
10 - A chilled cup holder like MB has.
8 - State of the art infotainment that works with the #1 smart phone platform. ( I use an android, my kids and wife uses an iphone for simplicity). It sucks that the usb is set to work perfectly with apple and NOTHING else. Its time for automakers to stop that. They should at least get the API's from the top 3 phone makers and not just one! USB should work like bluetooth at least.

Quick Reply: 2015 TLX is official!