Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…

What's up with girls that are proud to only hang out with guy friends?

Old 12-30-2009 | 11:37 AM

What's up with girls that are proud to only hang out with guy friends?

It seems odd because I've only met very few of these types and wonder why they're like this. Of course they have female friends, but unlike the majority of girls they don't like hanging out with big groups of other girls.

I ask because I talked to a girl over the weekend who I've known since middle school but haven't talked to since high school, and without me asking pointed out proudly that she was hanging out with all guys. She then justified it by saying "girls are all bitchy so I usually don't hang out with them".

The ones I know have all been completely normal, and except one of them, none were sluts or crazy or anything like that.

Just got me wondering...not saying there's anything wrong with it.

I guess they're proud that they can hang with the guys, be one of the guys, etc.

Thoughts?
Old 12-30-2009 | 12:00 PM
Missing My CL-S

they don't like competition. go for it Scotty!
Old 12-30-2009 | 12:16 PM
wut.

I knew quite a few girls that were like that.. sh!t's kinda wack imo.
Old 12-30-2009 | 12:34 PM
Safety Car

They have very big friend ladders.
Old 12-30-2009 | 12:34 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

They might lack self-esteem deep inside, or might not have had a legitimate father figure growing up.
Old 12-30-2009 | 12:39 PM
I got the Shifts

bad relationship with their fathers.
Old 12-30-2009 | 12:43 PM
wut.

Originally Posted by princelybug
They might lack self-esteem deep inside, or might not have had a legitimate father figure growing up.
But why would they reject hanging out with other females or feel insecure around them? Bad mother too? Just wondering.
Old 12-30-2009 | 12:51 PM
Suzuka Master

I would say no positive, strong male role model and/or they are actually the ones that are catty & bitchy and other girls don't feel like putting up with it. Most normal girls I know with strong father figures have a good amount of female friends.
Old 12-30-2009 | 01:25 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Originally Posted by CG2PROJECT
But why would they reject hanging out with other females or feel insecure around them? Bad mother too? Just wondering.
This is strictly conjecture, but what is fact is that females are "catty" around each other, and very competitive. When they see this girl who is all about "guys" (due to her upbringing circumstances, of course, which the other girls might not be aware of), they might put her down, alienate her, etc. So, after a period of going through this with other girls, she just stops wanting to be around females. Due to the constant put-downs, this girl could most definitely feel insecure around other girls.
Old 12-30-2009 | 01:26 PM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

My experience has been that these types are insecure, lesbos or sluts...all being fun to have around!
Old 12-30-2009 | 01:34 PM
wat

I have a lot more male friends than female friends. I don't make friends with girls as easily as I do with guys, but I'm essentially an adult tomboy.

I don't like shopping (I'd rather pay shipping than go to the mall), I don't like shoes, I've had the same $20 purse since 2007, I absolutely HATE dressing up, I've had one manicure in my life, and I don't wear very much makeup. Football, cars, and video games are my three favorite things, and I tend to swear a lot. I also make a lot of perverted comments. I guess it boils down to I feel that I don't have similar interests to most women my age, and common ground tends to be the basis of most friendships.

I don't feel threatened by other, more feminine women, and they don't make me feel insecure. I just don't have much to relate to them about. One of my coworkers recently got a $300 brand name (Coach?) purse. She showed it to me and was very excited about it. But I just couldn't wrap my mind around spending $300 for a fucking bag.

All that said, I have a group of 2 or 3 close girlfriends who are very much like me and I feel emotionally closer to them than any of my male friends. However I'd say close to 80 or 90% of the people I consider friends are men.

I wouldn't say that I'm proud of it; it is what it is.

And since it was brought up... I was fortunate enough to have a really great man as my father. He stayed home with me for the first 3 years of my life, and I've always felt closer to him than to my mother.

Last edited by bugeye; 12-30-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-30-2009 | 01:39 PM
Oliver!!!

Originally Posted by bugeye
I have a lot more male friends than female friends. I don't make friends with girls as easily as I do with guys, but I'm essentially an adult tomboy.

I don't like shopping (I'd rather pay shipping than go to the mall), I don't like shoes, I've had the same $20 purse since 2007, I absolutely HATE dressing up, I've had one manicure in my life, and I don't wear very much makeup. Football, cars, and video games are my three favorite things, and I tend to swear a lot. I also make a lot of perverted comments. I guess it boils down to I feel that I don't have similar interests to most women my age, and common ground tends to be the basis of most friendships.

I don't feel threatened by other, more feminine women, and they don't make me feel insecure. I just don't have much to relate to them about. One of my coworkers recently got a $300 brand name (Coach?) purse. She showed it to me and was very excited about it. But I just couldn't wrap my mind around spending $300 for a fucking bag.

All that said, I have a group of 2 or 3 close girlfriends who are very much like me and I feel emotionally closer to them than any of my male friends. However I'd say close to 80 or 90% of the people I consider friends are men.

I wouldn't say that I'm proud of it; it is what it is.

And since it was brought up... I was fortunate enough to have a really great man as my father. He stayed home with me for the first 3 years of my life, and I've always felt closer to him than to my mother.
Why can't I find a girl like that???
Old 12-30-2009 | 01:39 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

I was thinking to myself that a female perspective would be key.
Old 12-30-2009 | 01:45 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by Anachostic
They have very big friend ladders.
One of my best friends is like this, she's just a tomboy like bugeye

Originally Posted by litesout
Double
Old 12-30-2009 | 02:33 PM

I think bugeye hit the nail on the head...all the girls I know like this sound exactly like you

Originally Posted by princelybug
This is strictly conjecture, but what is fact is that females are "catty" around each other, and very competitive. When they see this girl who is all about "guys" (due to her upbringing circumstances, of course, which the other girls might not be aware of), they might put her down, alienate her, etc. So, after a period of going through this with other girls, she just stops wanting to be around females. Due to the constant put-downs, this girl could most definitely feel insecure around other girls.

I dated one of these girls that I was talking about in my first post a few years ago (no, not the crazy slutty one ).

A lot of other girls that already knew her said they didn't like her, would ask me why I'm with her, said she was a bitch, tramp, etc. When I would ask why they thought this, they could never give any solid answer. No evidence of her being a tramp or bitch to them in the past...they just didn't like how she was.

So in reality the only bitches were the girls saying this stuff out of jealousy and ignorance.

The slutty crazy one did have some family problems I know (acquaintance dated her), so that and low self-esteem could've been a factor.
Old 12-30-2009 | 03:12 PM
werd

pics of bugeye please
Old 12-30-2009 | 03:19 PM

I've been wondering this too. I met a girl a month ago through my friends who was just like you (OP) described, she was cool to talk to, seemed normal to me. She said for some reason she doesn't get along with girls sometimes, and ends up hanging out with guys more often than not. Didn't seem bitchy at all to me.

She is pretty hot too, and I've gone out with her a couple of times she seemed to be a little too friendly by showing her willingness to dance with strangers, both guys and girls. But she told me she stopped dancing with a guy because he said he was looking for a one night stand and that wasn't the kind of girl she was. She is pretty "girly" though, she likes to go shopping and does wear makeup.

Granted, she was a little drunk when she told me all that, but I'm thinking that was what she truly feels. A drunk (wo)man's words are a sober (wo)man's thoughts?
Old 12-30-2009 | 03:40 PM
Team Owner

It's easier to be the center of attention when you are a girl with a bunch of guys.
Old 12-31-2009 | 11:54 AM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Over time I've found that girls/women who have a higher percentage of male friends vs. female tend to be much more drama-free, less catty, and generally easier to get along with.

Men are fairly simple creatures. Most of the time what you see is what you get. You won't find constant high drama among men. We generally don't gossip or backstab, and we certainly don't spend any amount of time discussing how fat Bob looks in those jeans, get jealous over the fact that Bill lost 20 pounds, or how Rick is a slut because he hit on two women that evening. Personally, I think women that hang around men do so for the drama-free haven it can provide.

It's stunning to me how cruel women can be towards one another, especially among women they call friends.
Old 01-01-2010 | 01:47 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by doopstr
It's easier to be the center of attention when you are a girl with a bunch of guys.
bingo
Old 01-01-2010 | 07:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 1Louder
Over time I've found that girls/women who have a higher percentage of male friends vs. female tend to be much more drama-free, less catty, and generally easier to get along with.

Men are fairly simple creatures. Most of the time what you see is what you get. You won't find constant high drama among men. We generally don't gossip or backstab, and we certainly don't spend any amount of time discussing how fat Bob looks in those jeans, get jealous over the fact that Bill lost 20 pounds, or how Rick is a slut because he hit on two women that evening. Personally, I think women that hang around men do so for the drama-free haven it can provide.

It's stunning to me how cruel women can be towards one another, especially among women they call friends.
+1

Thats my wife's reasoning. She has a good father, a good brother and a lot of uncles, so she was raised around excellent role models. Meanwhile most of her friends have turned out to be little selfish backstabbers over the years. Her guy friends are the exception.
Old 01-01-2010 | 09:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by doopstr

And contrary to what many have been saying, I've always found these types of girls to be fucking insane!
Old 01-01-2010 | 09:27 PM

^there's always an exception?

the girls like this that I know seem to be normal.
Old 01-02-2010 | 11:52 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Different reasons for everybody. It's impossible to pin down one reason why girls that have more male friends than female friends do.
Old 01-03-2010 | 12:36 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by litesout
fuckin
Old 01-03-2010 | 01:53 AM
Race Director

my ex had lots of guy friends

she ended up fucking half of them

she seemed cool at first, liked trucks, fast cars, quads, poker, ect same shit as me.

great personality, banging bod, red hair, green eyes

no father figure..and she moved a lot

go figure
Old 01-04-2010 | 01:38 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

I've known several tomboys who love sports & hanging out, drinking beer not 55 calorie select beer or flavored malt beverages.. so having more in common with dudes then chicks is understandable and some "chicks" can be annoying to no extent.. but this isn't the same as hanging with guys and then banging most of them. I've known one chick like this and I stayed away like the plague. Every other week she had a new guy toy and the old guy toys still hung around when at the bar or club, fucking weird & pathetic.
Old 01-06-2010 | 01:38 PM
wishing for a GT-R

i personally dont think that this has anything to do with self esteem issues , or a father/ mother figure in any sort. I am not a tomboy, i dont mind makeup , dressing up and looking/acting feminine. Besides that i love cars and sports. I tend to have more guy friends because guys dont sugar coat anything and since i am a very straight foward person, they dont get insulted easily as a female would. I feel like i can relate to a guy in a sense that if i really need to know the truth ill get it. Of course if you know that they guy has some interest in you he will tell you wat u want to hear, but in that case you have to have some sort of common sense. Females are just very complicated and dramatic. Most females also dont seem to understand how i can spend money on a car that is just suppose to take me from point a-b , where as a guy can understand. But a guy cant understand why i would need a brand name bag , where as to a female would understand. I just feel that guys are more real than females are and thats the reason that i tend to hang out with guys more than girls. It has nothing to do with me wanting to be accepted by dudes, or needing attention its just something that tends to happen because i share more interests with guys than girls even though i do have a few close girlfriends that understand me for me.
Old 01-06-2010 | 01:42 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

tina, do you have guy friends that are your shopping buddies? .. suckers. Very well stated btw. You're a keeper.
Old 01-06-2010 | 01:49 PM
wishing for a GT-R

Originally Posted by Majofo
tina, do you have guy friends that are your shopping buddies? .. suckers. Very well stated btw. You're a keeper.
why yes i do, they are lol
Old 01-06-2010 | 02:58 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

I think its because of the age old truth that girls/women tend to be bitches.

But beware, Girls who have absolutely no other girlfriends (and I mean they don't have a single girlfriend) tend to be the most needy.
Old 01-06-2010 | 03:12 PM
wat

That definitely plays into it too.

I've made friends with girls that ended up being nasty, back-stabbing cunts for no good reason other than to be vindictive fuckwads. I've never had a guy friend do that to me. The only female friends I have that I'm close to are also no-bullshit, no mind games, will say it to your face if they have a problem with you type of women.

Last edited by bugeye; 01-06-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-28-2010 | 06:18 AM
Suzuka Master

^_^OP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vyj1C8ogtE
Old 01-28-2010 | 07:20 AM
Team Owner

I knew a lot of girls like that. I think a lot of them were just tired of the BS drama of hanging out with a group of girls. Never really bothered me. They were a lot more fun to hang out than my drunken friends.
Old 01-28-2010 | 09:19 AM
Oh Hullow

the problem with dating a girl like that is you know if the girl is remotely attractive that ALL of those guy friends are trying to bang her no matter how delusional she is to the situation. guys cant just be friends with a girl they are attracted to, because they will cross that line at any moment.
Old 02-06-2010 | 01:09 PM
Driver Mod

ITs because other girls cant stand them. Which usually ends up in conflict/drama.
Old 02-06-2010 | 01:10 PM
Driver Mod

Originally Posted by bravedemon
i think its because of the age old truth that girls/women tend to be bitches.

But beware, girls who have absolutely no other girlfriends (and i mean they don't have a single girlfriend) tend to be the most needy.

very true !!!
Old 02-22-2010 | 11:28 PM
Newb

Being the girl that i am, I do agree with most of what has been said x].

Hangs with guys because: Avoid drama, relaxed with guys, somewhat center of attention, they have some sense of common understanding with stuff i like in general, they don't backstab or really shit talk, etc.

Whereas with girls... theres just drama everywhere. I do have a couple of girl friends that i chill with but i find it more enjoyable hanging with the boys because i don't have to compete. Compete in looks as in who's prettier or whatever. Eh kinda how i see it i dont know.
Old 02-23-2010 | 07:57 AM
GEEZER

Originally Posted by 1Louder

Well said.
Old 02-23-2010 | 11:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by InnocentxAllie
Being the girl that i am, I do agree with most of what has been said x].

Hangs with guys because: Avoid drama, relaxed with guys, somewhat center of attention, they have some sense of common understanding with stuff i like in general, they don't backstab or really shit talk, etc.

Whereas with girls... theres just drama everywhere. I do have a couple of girl friends that i chill with but i find it more enjoyable hanging with the boys because i don't have to compete. Compete in looks as in who's prettier or whatever. Eh kinda how i see it i dont know.
I've noticed this from a lot of girls your age. Find girls you don't have to compete with and actually have your back and you'll be able to have good girlfriends. I've noticed that happens a lot as girls age and mature.

Quick Reply: What's up with girls that are proud to only hang out with guy friends?