Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…

Relationship experience with a MORMON?

Old 02-26-2005 | 11:16 PM
My M45 loves to eat rice

Relationship experience with a MORMON?

Alrighty, I'm a first-year at NYU and I started talking to this very attractive blond girl in one of my classes. I only knew she was from Utah and I really didn't know much about her. I asked her out after having a few post-class conversations, she obliged, and we went out last night. We had a fantastic time, spent about five hours of constant flowing conversation together, and I could tell we really like each other and have a chance at something but one thing is interesting about her: she happens to be a Mormon. The fact that she's from Utah didn't really create a correspondence, unfortunately. I pretty much played it off like it was interesting and exciting, even though in the back of my mind I was thinking about how little I know about the religion. For the record, I am Catholic.

Now I've heard of the stereotypes about Mormons about them being rather weird and reserved in lifestyle (no disrespect to anyone that might be a Mormon, of course), but does anyone really know what they are about? Has anyone had relationship experience with a Mormon? Is anyone here a Mormon?

I know that Mormon girls do not drink, smoke, or have sex before marriage ( ) but is there anything else I really should know? In all honesty I would love to have a girl that respects herself and is always doing the right thing but I certainly need to be educated. Help me out here guys! Thanks in advance, later
Old 02-27-2005 | 12:46 AM
fap fap fap

most mormon couples i know got married at an early age ....
Old 02-27-2005 | 12:47 AM
Crabcakes and Football!!!

Depends how into religion she is. Cant hurt to get to know here You might make a new friend at the least.
Old 02-27-2005 | 08:40 AM
Team Owner

I'm sure there are Mormon girls that have sex before marrage.
Old 02-27-2005 | 11:41 AM
Drifting

well since she is from utah she might be strict on following the rules, but i know a couple mormon guys in NJ, and they dont follow the rules of the religion
Old 02-27-2005 | 11:53 AM
I feel the need...

Ask her if she wears "special" undergarments.
Old 02-27-2005 | 12:52 PM
Safety Car

^ She does not, she is too young to have gone on and come home from a mission, and she is not married. (I'm assuming here) Those are the only two times that ritual will be perfromed for a woman (or man) if I understand correctly.

I was raised LDS, but I am currently inactive. She may or may not do some things with you. She is not wierd, the only difference you should notice between her and other girls will be that she does not drink, smoke, drink cofffee or tea, and most of all no sex, oh and also, no fould language, if she is strict about it. Careful, she may also be really shy about stuff like small displays of affection, I have dated a Mormon girl who really was, and I have dated one who was not. One would not hold handswhile her roomates were in the room (drove me nuts) and the other would have carried on a full fledged make out session in front of her friends.

That's it. She MAY end up hot to trot off to the altar if you two date and get serious, but that has more to do with hormones than anything else, which is why so many Mormon couples get married young, IMHO so that they can start

There are lost of cool Mormon girls, but unfortunately, most of them don't stay here.

Last edited by Gilgamesh; 02-27-2005 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-27-2005 | 12:58 PM
I feel the need...

I will profess my ignorance when it comes to the land of Mormon.

Seems to me that many aspects seem somewhat cultish.

But then again, I never read Dianetics either.
Old 02-27-2005 | 01:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Unless she is at least a 9/10 and her father is very rich your time would be better spent elsewhere IMHO.
Old 02-27-2005 | 01:32 PM
I feel the need...

Unless she is at least a 9/10 and her father is very rich your time would be better spent elsewhere IMHO.
Hey that's great advice, Shallow Hal.
Old 02-27-2005 | 02:50 PM
Mile High

Ive known a few mormons. Some drink and smoke weed, some have sex before marriage. Mormons seem very family oriented and conservative. My friend whos a mormon just got married at 19!!!! he met his wife at BYU and after 1 year they got married. If you not a mormon in Utah your in the minority. If you really hit it off with this girl then stay with her. some mormons are strict followers, some follow loosly. you should find out which type she is.
Old 02-27-2005 | 04:05 PM
Missing My CL-S

wow, i didn't know what a morman was
Old 02-27-2005 | 04:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PistonFan
Hey that's great advice, Shallow Hal.
Still good advice though. Mormon's almost exclusively marry other Mormons anyway.
Old 02-27-2005 | 05:00 PM
Banned

she a cherry ? mormon chicks give heads ?
Old 02-27-2005 | 05:06 PM
Senior Moderator

I was raised Mormon, not active now obviously. Feel free to ask specific questions.

For what its worth, if she is over 18 and out of the house and still a Mormon, she will almost certainly not "put out" or anything like that.

Most of the Mormon girls who do so are

A) underage

B) rebelling against mommy/daddy and thus Mormon in name only.
Old 02-27-2005 | 05:26 PM
My M45 loves to eat rice

A lot of this information was great, thank you very much guys.

Originally Posted by Gilgamesh

I was raised LDS, but I am currently inactive. She may or may not do some things with you. She is not wierd, the only difference you should notice between her and other girls will be that she does not drink, smoke, drink cofffee or tea, and most of all no sex, oh and also, no fould language, if she is strict about it. Careful, she may also be really shy about stuff like small displays of affection, I have dated a Mormon girl who really was, and I have dated one who was not. One would not hold handswhile her roomates were in the room (drove me nuts) and the other would have carried on a full fledged make out session in front of her friends.
This was especially helpful. I took her to Starbucks and she had a hot chocolate because ''she doesn't like how coffee tastes'', and I notice she didn't say one foul word during the whole date. She did say ''gosh'' and another ''h'' word in place of ''hell'', I thought it was really funny.

She seems pretty affectionate to me and I could tell that she really likes me so I'm going to pursue it. I've been looking for a good girl for a few years and I could tell that she is about as good and pure as they come, so I might as well give it a shot. I asked her out again for this weekend and she said ''yeah sure'' so that sounds good to me.

As for being in New York, she claims she was only one of four kids to get out of Utah from her high school, so she seems eager to try new things and get on with life. I also noticed that several of her brothers and sisters live in other places (Los Angeles, New York City) so she isn't exactly in need of attaching herself to her lifestyle and that's it. There's also a good chance she's going to stay here until July and come back to school at the end of August so she would be here a lot. Ah, see what happens...
Old 02-27-2005 | 07:45 PM
Suzuka Master

I was told by an LDS girl that she could not be more than a friend since I was not LDS, of course this was in Wyoming.
Old 02-27-2005 | 08:42 PM
Safety Car

The thing with LDS girls not dating and marrying those of other faiths is up to the woman, some do, some don;t. Marriage within the faith is suggested by the church though. Just do yourself a favor and don't go in looking for ass, you may not get it from her. Otherwise, have a good time, and she still could be right for ya.
Old 02-27-2005 | 09:23 PM
Suzuka Master

I knew a few mormon guys in high school, some were artsy, some were jocks, but they all would do the gosh/heck/shoot/fudge thing. One guy would hold is girlfriend's hand and kiss her in the hall, another guy would get head from a "friend." So just get to know her and find out what she's like, you might be surprised. You might have a little sex kitten on your hand, but probably not. So just don't expect to get far with her in that respect, but you never know what'll happen.
Old 02-27-2005 | 09:57 PM
You want me to break it?

I knew a few Mormon people. The girls tended to want big families. My buddy is Mormon and he had to "hold off" his wife from kids til his second year of medical school. He had 2 kids and a third on the way before we graduated. Everyone is different, give the relationship a shot.
Old 02-27-2005 | 11:01 PM
Suzuka Master

I'm surprised we haven't seen this yet, so I'll do it :
Old 02-28-2005 | 09:30 AM
Suzuka Master

yep, they do not believe in contraceptives......and the ones I know range from 4--9 children.
Old 02-28-2005 | 09:41 AM
TLD
Mixed Martial Artist

I thought your thread title said moron, for a second. I've had a few of those like the girl who tried to come up with my birth year in 2004. I told her I was 36 and she asked, were you born in 1971? She was only off by 3 years.
Old 02-28-2005 | 10:46 AM
Suzuka Master

I'm not LDS, but I did a lot of "religion research" in the past few years as I tried to find my place in this world, and one of the reasons I chose to become Catholic instead of LDS is the marriage thing. I was under the impression that a woman cannot get into heaven (or the highest level of heaven) without her Mormon husband's "permission," which is actually what originated the polygamy thing (because back in the old west, where the populations of small towns were often skewed in terms of male/female ratios, one man would marry several women in order to "allow" them into heaven). Not that polygamy has anything to do with current affairs, but my point is that if she is really "into" her faith, she may not want to marry you unless you convert, because otherwise she will be SOL when it comes to the afterlife.

Again, I could be wrong. In fact, I would like to hear some of the self-professed former LDS members' thoughts on this subject.
Old 02-28-2005 | 10:47 AM
teh Senior Instigator

From: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
If this helps, my boy has been dating a Mormon for a few months now and all she wants to do is make out
Old 02-28-2005 | 12:05 PM
ric
Safety Car

Most people who come from strongly defined religious backgrounds either fully adhere to them, or fully rebel against them. If she is fully adhering, she'll be a lady, if she is rebelling, she will be experimenting with the opposite end of the continuum. From her behvior so far, sounds like she is hardly the rebellious type.

In that case, be prepared, if the relationship turns serious, for serious pressure for conversion. My own experience with LDS is that there is a desire, driven by deep belief, to convert others. Cross-relgious marriages have problems related to that, if the LDS partner retains their full belief structure intact.
Old 02-28-2005 | 02:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Smitty
yep, they do not believe in contraceptives......and the ones I know range from 4--9 children.
Actually, Mormons do believe in them, are allowed to use them as well unlike Catholics. Mormons (some at least) just don't use them!!
Old 02-28-2005 | 02:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Cr.ash79
I'm not LDS, but I did a lot of "religion research" in the past few years as I tried to find my place in this world, and one of the reasons I chose to become Catholic instead of LDS is the marriage thing. I was under the impression that a woman cannot get into heaven (or the highest level of heaven) without her Mormon husband's "permission," which is actually what originated the polygamy thing (because back in the old west, where the populations of small towns were often skewed in terms of male/female ratios, one man would marry several women in order to "allow" them into heaven). Not that polygamy has anything to do with current affairs, but my point is that if she is really "into" her faith, she may not want to marry you unless you convert, because otherwise she will be SOL when it comes to the afterlife.

Again, I could be wrong. In fact, I would like to hear some of the self-professed former LDS members' thoughts on this subject.
Its a bit off. According to Mormon theology, only those men and women married in a Mormon temple can get into the highest order of heaven. It has nothing to do with permission. In addition, many good people who were NOT in the church will supposedly be allowed in as well.

I havent been in there in 10 years but I still remember the dogma/theology/brainwashing, so feel free to ask. Its a very misunderstood religion and even though I think its full of flaws, I'll give out the facts on it.
Old 02-28-2005 | 03:51 PM
Safety Car

^ Also, if a couple is not married in the temple but the performs the sealing rites, they can gain entry into the highest level of heaven (there are 3 degrees, sort of in the religion)

You are correct that it goes both ways, an unmarried man won't get anywhere either.

You can get the first 2 levels alone, but the third requires a family, which the religion very strongly promotes.
Old 02-28-2005 | 05:19 PM
My M45 loves to eat rice

Originally Posted by Mike97 3.0P
I'm surprised we haven't seen this yet, so I'll do it :
I would post a pic that we took during our date, but I see how most of that has gone in the past with others, so I'm quite hesitant!

For the record, do Mormon girls have the same emotional mindframe in terms of relationships as others? She won't freak out if I try to kiss her or hold her hand or something during our dates, right? I think she might've wanted me to kiss her when I said good night because she positioned herself in a face-to-face way when I was about to leave outside of her dorm, but I figured I'd take it slow. Figure I'd do my research on Mormons first, courtesy of Acurazine!
Old 02-28-2005 | 05:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by MattT516
I would post a pic that we took during our date, but I see how most of that has gone in the past with others, so I'm quite hesitant!

For the record, do Mormon girls have the same emotional mindframe in terms of relationships as others? She won't freak out if I try to kiss her or hold her hand or something during our dates, right? I think she might've wanted me to kiss her when I said good night because she positioned herself in a face-to-face way when I was about to leave outside of her dorm, but I figured I'd take it slow. Figure I'd do my research on Mormons first, courtesy of Acurazine!
Kisses are fine. But as with any other girl, too soon can be bad.
Old 03-01-2005 | 09:55 AM
Mobile on demand Agent

Talking

Originally Posted by doopstr
I'm sure there are Mormon girls that have sex before marrage.
I hope that's true for your sake bro,
Old 03-01-2005 | 04:20 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Actually, Mormons do believe in them, are allowed to use them as well unlike Catholics. Mormons (some at least) just don't use them!!
Catholics aren't allowed to use birth control? I went to a Catholic school, how did I not know this? Looks like I am going straight to hell...
Old 03-01-2005 | 05:27 PM
Pro

I think the best way to find out your questions is by just talking to her about these topics...you said that both of you have continuous conversations for hours, so maybe you could ask her what she feels about marriage and what her perspective is, what her views are...does she want to marry a mormon? on a scale of 1 to 10 (with 10 being VERY VERY MORMON) and 1 being AS LITTLE MORMON AS ONE CAN BE lol...

just talk to her and from those conversations, you will have an idea of whether to pursue the relationship or just be friends...
Old 03-01-2005 | 05:55 PM
Suzuka Master

beware the blue balls.
Old 03-01-2005 | 06:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 98CLChick
Catholics aren't allowed to use birth control? I went to a Catholic school, how did I not know this? Looks like I am going straight to hell...
Nope, they arent. I went to Catholic school as well.
Old 03-05-2005 | 03:30 AM
6th Gear

There are a ton of misconceptions here about Mormons, most of them corrected in this post.

Some important questions you should ask her:

1) favorite line from Napolean Dynamite (this may be the only true cult aspect about the Mormon religion)
2) did she get her young womens medallion
3) Ute fan or Cougar fan (could be bad news if she's a Ute fan)
4) does she plan on going on a mission (quick indicator of how committed she is to her faith and how ready she is to get married)
5) did she graduate from seminary (scripture study class for HS students, another indicator of how committed she is)

So far, looks like I'm the only "active" member here, so as others have said, I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.
Old 03-05-2005 | 05:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Here's a question: I know most boys go on missions if they're really committed, but do all committed girls go? In other words, is it the same rite of passage for a girl as it is for a guy? The reason I ask is because while I frequently see pairs of male missionaries out and about, I don't think I've ever seen a female pair. If they do all go, then are they more strictly confined/supervised?
Old 03-05-2005 | 08:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Bridezilla
Here's a question: I know most boys go on missions if they're really committed, but do all committed girls go? In other words, is it the same rite of passage for a girl as it is for a guy? The reason I ask is because while I frequently see pairs of male missionaries out and about, I don't think I've ever seen a female pair. If they do all go, then are they more strictly confined/supervised?
Its encouraged for women but it is optional. For men it is HIGHLY HIGHLY "encouraged".
Old 03-05-2005 | 08:19 PM
Safety Car

Women are not as heavily encouranged to go, in fact, if they can be married before that time, they often are encouraged to go that route.

Quick Reply: Relationship experience with a MORMON?