Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…

more dating ideas...

Old 11-10-2006, 01:54 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
more dating ideas...

I did a search here on dating ideas...and so far, from what i read...

dinner and movie - traditional, probably safe, not creative, lame and overdone
dinner and coffee - only if there is spark, otherwise, nothing to talk about
dinner and club - fun, more fun if your objective is to get laid soon after...honestly, I'm done with clubbing.

walking in park, zoo, - great ,but it's going to rain all day here on Saturday

Dave & Busters - potential fun, but can get pricey.

Bar - perhaps. I can get carried away easily unfortunately. I'd hate to look like a drunk.

Movie at my place after dinner - too soon?

What else?

I'm 29, about to have a 1st date with a girl who is 22-23. I really don't know her age. In fact, as of now, I don't know much of anything about her interest, etc. I basically just walked up to her and asked her out.
The only thing I DO know is that she's never had Japanese before..which is where we are going for dinner on Sat.

Btw, this will be first date with anyone in 8 months...since my gf of 5 years dumped me. I know, above all, be yourself. Check. Just want to make it fun and I feel like I'm dry on ideas.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:06 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I'd start with dinner and take it from there. You should have a better idea of what her interests are after a good meal.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:29 PM
Banned

Which city are you in?

Erie or Birmingham?
Old 11-10-2006, 02:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
Start with dinner. Maybe want to check out some movie times for near-by places too.

One suggestion though.....don't go with Japanese. Especially since she's never had it. Take her some place that you know for a fact that she will have a fair amount of choices. The only reason I say that is the last thing you want her taking away from your first date is how bad sushi is.

Plus by not going to a Japanese resturant, you will have a great idea for a follow up date.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:39 PM
GSI
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Is she from Alabama? If so then wait on the Japanese and take her to get some chicken n dumplins.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:49 PM
Banned

Depends on what kind of "Japanese" food it is.

Actual Japanese food (Kaiseki, Tsukemono, Adzuki, Seafoods, Seaweed, etc) or a place that makes chopped up chicken and sirloin with fried rice while the dude spins his forks around?

Kinda like "Mexican" food as a quesadila from Chili's vs. a bowl of menudo and some cabrito....pretty big difference.

If it's a place that caters to Americans, the flavors are all pretty tame and agreeable to most people. Also, it can be a good first date spot since you'll have the natural performance going on to prevent you from having to spend 100% of the time totally just sitting there facing each other talking. Most people think the performance is pretty fun to watch...especially if they've never been to one.

Last edited by Pull_T; 11-10-2006 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Too bad you're starting with dinner ... personally, I've read that starting off with coffee or drinks would be appropriate. That way, if things suck ... you can bail (or conversely, she can bail) without feeling 'guilty' that the person paid for dinner and feels compelled to spend the rest of the evening on a dead-end date.

If things go well ... then it can go on to dinner, etc ... Again, that's what I read ... haven't been on a singles 'date' in over 3 years.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:16 PM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did someone just do a search for dating ideas on a car forum? holy shit
Old 11-10-2006, 03:42 PM
X spots the mark

Originally Posted by phipark
Did someone just do a search for dating ideas on a car forum? holy shit
Let's say this wasn't even a car forum. If you're searching for dating ideas on ANY forums.... something's not quite right.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:49 PM
Interesting. Interesting.

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Movies suck for early-stage dates, IMO. You just sit there and watch something without talking to each other.

I always liked dinner + quiet wine bar afterwards
Old 11-10-2006, 04:08 PM
Not Asian

Originally Posted by whynot
Let's say this wasn't even a car forum. If you're searching for dating ideas on ANY forums.... something's not quite right.
Good point. Very sad.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:33 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Drinks or coffee, its quick, gives you taste of the person with out over doing it and if things go good you can make plans to do dinner. I've dated a lot in the past, tried tons of things, unless there is a spark right off the bat, stick to basics or it will be very uncomfortable. For some reason certain people just get along, and other's don't and if you can't tell yet then stick with something conventional. It sounds like your a bit insecure, and at 29 that is not a good thing(in particular from a woman's percpective) so get this stuff out of your system now. Be very decisive, know what you want to do and be clear about it, you don't have come across as being mean or not willing to roll with the punches, but woman like a man who is in control and knows what he wants. Right now that doesn't sound like you.

If she offer's to split the bill, take her up on it, pay attention to how she reacts, if she was just saying it to be nice and really has no intention or ability to pay, its a warning sign - if she doesn't mind carrying her weight that's a very good sign for a woman who is ready for a relationship.

I'd encourage you to talk to a friend, just get your fears out and some ideas from someone who knows you. Its not easy getting back into things after a long relationship, in particular after it ends poorly... which is another thing DO NOT get into the details of the old relationship or breaking up, tell her you were together(she will ask or be curious and ask by the next date) and were just going in different directions, its difficult but both of you are better off not together, we grew apart. Its easy, doesn't put the fear of the ex into her, makes you look like a stand up guy and should put that little painful bit of history as a subject that doesn't need to be revisited.

Last edited by Tireguy; 11-10-2006 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:51 PM
Yes it is!

I met up with my current gf at a video arcade/tea bar for our first meeting. Afterwards it was pizza and beer. But then again, this girl was very much into that scene.

From your first post I gather you have plans for the Japanese place set, and are looking for something to do afterwards? How about putt-putt or something? It's something that's not entirely played out, cheap, and allows you to talk. Otherwise hit up a bar and get some darts or pool in.

I don't think you should worry about your alcohol tolerance. The fact that you recognize it means you probably know how not to go past it. Women don't usually drink too much anyway.

And Japanese sounds great to me, btw. Something unique so she'll remember you. And there's plenty to eat besides sushi. Heck, I'm vegetarian and I eat the noodles and rice.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:17 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
If me and the girl like the same music, I might suggest going to see a live band after having drinks. But be cautious, this can go bad easily...make sure ahead of time that the band doesn't suck, the place they're playing doesn't suck, they don't play so loud that you can't hear each other talk, etc.

And we have some good comedy clubs around here that I like taking dates. It works because if the comedians are good you can laugh, and if they suck you can laugh at how horrible they are.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:18 PM
Drifting

have a few options at dinner, and see what you think is best from there. maybe run ideas by her?
Old 11-10-2006, 05:41 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Dinner and coffee , then ask her what she would like to do , mention there is a nice bar in the area or if she likes to go clubbing , but give her the option this way it seems you are showing interest in what she likes.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:44 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by wstevens
Go to dinner and insist that she has sex with you after. If she agrees, you're golden. If not, you don't have to waste time on another date.
I use the 3 date rule, if I don't ejaculate in, on or near by the end of the third date, there is no 4th
Old 11-10-2006, 05:45 PM
Interesting. Interesting.

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Tireguy
I use the 3 date rule, if I don't ejaculate in, on or near by the end of the third date, there is no 4th

you quoted a post that I deleted because I thought it was stupid.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:03 PM
I shoot people

Received 3,039 Likes on 1,477 Posts
for a first date? I'd avoid any places or environments where you can't talk or where it's hard to communicate... like going to a movie or clubs... a movie, you guys sit there for a couple hours and can't talk... and you said you're "over" clubs anyway...

Save the movie for 2nd date (if there's one)... I know I said avoid environments where it's hard to communicate... but sometimes I'll take dates to restaurants that are just noisy enough where it "forces" the two of us to "have to" sit closer together , but yet NOT loud enough where we have to yell in order to talk...
Old 11-10-2006, 07:37 PM
DC Metro Local Crew

Movies suck for early-stage dates, IMO. You just sit there and watch something without talking to each other.

ditto, no no no movies until atleast 4 or 5 dates. Talking is the most important part of the actual date, i'd say dinner then a quiet to semi-quiet bar. The alcohol will loosen both of you up and help drive conversation. I've dated many a girl in the past year and this is the perfect first and second date, trust me on this
Old 11-11-2006, 10:07 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
sign up for an activity together. cooking lessons, wall climbing, massage class...
Old 11-11-2006, 01:18 PM
East Coast Boost.!

I do agree, movies do suck as dates, Unless she offers to give you a HJ. I got a date with some older broad tomorrow, I would like to hit up a wine bar, but I'm not sure if she's into it. If all goes will I should be able to