Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…

How much should you spend on an engagement ring?

Old 06-01-2007, 11:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
I had cash on hand to do the 3-month rule for my wife's engagement ring. I took her to possibly the worst store to shop off the bat -- Tiffany's in Singapore. When she found one she 'liked' ... US$140k!

Then she tried to find a similar quality / cut ring at various jeweler's within my 'Tiffany budget' ... She realized it was a hopeless endeavor to find something good quality at a "low price" and so she just wears a wedding band. Money allocated toward engagement ring can no go towards my next car ... That's why I love my wife so much.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by mypoorTSX
good thing i don't have to buy an engagement ring. my 2 mths salary is utterly pitiful.
That's the PERFECT time to apply this unwritten rule. I wish I could have bought an engagement ring while I was in school -- 3 months x -$500/month tuition ... she would owe me $ to buy a ring!! LOL

Actually, whomever mentioned the concept of "no upgrades" -- I am in 100% agreement. You bought that ring as a symbol of your love and statement of fidelity. "Upgrading" means that symbol can be easily replaced. That is such a pathetic excuse to buy a bigger rock.

Go big or go home.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:42 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The "2 months salary" thing was invented and marketed by debeers. I wonder why.

If you can swing it, got for a 1ca solitaire and prioritize on cut, then color. si1 is just fine. As soon as you dip below 1 ca, the price drops significantly, so that might be an option as well. Get a .9 and the finance can tell everyone its a 1ca
Old 06-01-2007, 12:15 PM
TL-S driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got engaged and I bought her a $10k ring. I tell her sometimes that she's wearing my Acura because i was going to use that as a down payment on a new TL-S. I don't think there is a set rule on how much you spend, my fiance would have said yes to a $15 ring from the clearance section at Walmart. Get something nice but something reasonable. Good Luck and Congrats!!!
Old 06-01-2007, 01:18 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Nicky Pass
Why the fuck can't women buy us something big in order to to justify me buying a shiney rock. I say I get a whipple charger for my Cobra....she gets a ring....!
I felt the same way. So....

He put money away and gave me an engagement ring. Meanwhile, I'd also put money away and got him a new DSLR (a surprise).

He bought my wedding band. I bought his wedding band...whatever he wanted, custom made.

There ya go!
Old 06-01-2007, 01:29 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Street Spirit
I felt the same way. So....

He put money away and gave me an engagement ring. Meanwhile, I'd also put money away and got him a new DSLR (a surprise).

He bought my wedding band. I bought his wedding band...whatever he wanted, custom made.

There ya go!
Thats sounds good and all.....
.....but that whole "until DEATH do us part" thingy is what puts ice blocks on my feet!
Old 06-01-2007, 01:59 PM

Thats sounds good and all.....
.....but that whole "until DEATH do us part" thingy is what puts ice blocks on my feet!
Umm..okay...I was just responding to the other part of your post.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:06 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,095 Posts
I went looking a few weeks ago and my budget went up $1000 with in twenty minutes of being at the jewlery store. I went in thinking $4000 but saw how much more you can get with $5000, so that's what I'm shooting for now.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:17 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by tdhillon
i don't think theres a rule, but it depends on what you think she's like. I don't even know why its a diamond you have to get a woman, whatever happened to the other precious stones. I say, De Beers has done an amazing job brainwashing people.

Before the started mining diamonds in Africa, women didn't get anything for the engagement, her family did. But once the Diamond Industry started raping Africa for diamonds, they had nowhere to sell them. So they came up with a diamond engagement ring, to sell what they were mining and jack up the prices.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:31 PM
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
ill do between 10-20K dpeending on my salary at that time
Old 06-02-2007, 04:06 PM
‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›

Sigh. What happened to receiving a dowry from the gal's family? You know, for guys to take the daughter off their hands? Couple heads of cattle, some furniture, an old cart? I would be more than happy to dispense my hard-earned cash on an engagement ring if I know that I'm getting something in return aside from flesh-and-blood ball-and-chain.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,792 Likes on 13,976 Posts
Originally Posted by sasha
There is no requirement on the price of an engagement ring. It all boils down to how much you earn as a living and how much you are willing to spare for a ring, keeping in mind that you will still spend a lot of money on wedding, honeymoon, house, etc.. For example, a 1.5-carat F or IF diamond with D/E color worth 20-30k might be nothing to a millionaire, but a 1.0-carat VVS1/VVS2 diamond with F/G color worth 8-10k might be a burden to an Average Joe.

You also have to consider the size of the girl's finger and her taste in jewelry when determining the size. The price of the rock increases exponentially when you go from 0.75 (starting 5k) to 1.0 carat (around 10k), so you can get something a little bit smaller than 1.0 carat without paying so much. You also should start canvassing the difference in prices among various stores.

If you think you have found "the one", just start saving a few hundred dollars each month and within 1 year, you'll have the means to cover substantially the price of an engagement ring.
Well said, Miss Mod.

Recently bought my GF a Tiffany Novo 1.18-carat VVS1 color F ring when I visited Bellevue. The ring was a bit more than what I was originally ready to purchase. However, after alot of deliberation and thought, I also realized that she is the one who'll be for me...She's stuck with me through a lot of my toughest times and is really devoted to me.

So, at the end of the day, a ring means nothing to me. It's a shiny little thing that a person puts on a finger that does absolutely nothing. But, I know it'll mean something to her and if that makes her very happy, I'm happy. Just like how she'll never truly understand how I could dump thousands into toy robots or high-end clothing, she at last supports it and realizes that's what makes me happy.

Money is money. You make it to use it.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:03 PM
Yes, he did that

Well, her parents are getting me a near 1.5 ct diamond from Brazil for about $4K, so I am getting a deal.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Oops...typo: I meant to say that my GF at least supports my habits not at last.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Hope I don't offend anyone here but if I read this thread correctly we have some very rich people driving some average 30K luxury cars.

Since I'm admittedly not rich, self made yet financially very stable and with a mortgage:

Once the g/f shows you a setting she likes, it's simply a matter of where you want to spend the money.

Wedding could run you thousands upon thousands of dollars depending on family sizes, etc. A honeymoon could run you another 10K+ so I take all 3 events most likely occuring in the next 2 years or under and come up with a total EXCEPT I price it from the wedding, then ring, then honeymoon.

Wedding: 80K
Honeymoon: 10K
Ring: 10K

Ok so if you predict needing 100K (w/out help from family) are you in a financial position to have that available for the whole thing?

Ring: 5K
Honeymoon 5K
Wedding 90K

What does that get you?

Wedding 70K
Honeymoon 10K
Ring 20K

What does that get you?

Wedding 70K
Ring 10K
Honeymoon 20K

To me it's about seeing where the money is being spent and what's most important to you and her. Don't be afraid to be somewhat upfront w/ your future fiancee about where you think the $$ will go. If your strong enough of a couple you both could figure out where to put the cash so it makes the most sense to your overall satisfaction.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:47 PM
The Boss

Originally Posted by eclipse23
Hope I don't offend anyone here but if I read this thread correctly we have some very rich people driving some average 30K luxury cars.

Since I'm admittedly not rich, self made yet financially very stable and with a mortgage:

Once the g/f shows you a setting she likes, it's simply a matter of where you want to spend the money.

Wedding could run you thousands upon thousands of dollars depending on family sizes, etc. A honeymoon could run you another 10K+ so I take all 3 events most likely occuring in the next 2 years or under and come up with a total EXCEPT I price it from the wedding, then ring, then honeymoon.

Wedding: 80K
Honeymoon: 10K
Ring: 10K

Ok so if you predict needing 100K (w/out help from family) are you in a financial position to have that available for the whole thing?

Ring: 5K
Honeymoon 5K
Wedding 90K

What does that get you?

Wedding 70K
Honeymoon 10K
Ring 20K

What does that get you?

Wedding 70K
Ring 10K
Honeymoon 20K

To me it's about seeing where the money is being spent and what's most important to you and her. Don't be afraid to be somewhat upfront w/ your future fiancee about where you think the $$ will go. If your strong enough of a couple you both could figure out where to put the cash so it makes the most sense to your overall satisfaction.
Nice write up Ernie. Howver, most people don't spend 70~80k on weddings... well least from what I know

When I proposed, I spent about $9000 on the engagement ring. Because it was a name brand, the ring was pretty tiny. Our honeymoon consisted the tour of asia and europe and that cost about $25k. Our wedding was big but it was under 50k. The whole ordeal was under 90k but alot of it was with the help of her parents and mine.
Yesterday marked our 8 years of knowning each other so I upgraded her ring to a bigger size and forked out a new BMW 6 series on the ring and needless to say she won't get to wear it much. This was something I couldn't do it initially but now I could
Old 06-04-2007, 01:51 PM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeCLS6
Women are so materialistic nowadays

That's putting it lightly.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:42 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

anyone see blood diamond?

did you guys buy the engagement rings in cash? i really need to start saving up....

70-90k for a wedding?!
Old 06-04-2007, 04:59 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
i don't even have a gf right now but i have started saving up for the whole ring/wedding/honeymoon... i know my parents won't be able to help me out too much, although they want to...

I also won't expect anything from her parents, because they could be in the same boat as mine, but if I do get anything I would consider it a great bonus...

my problem is I am also Armenian, which means really big/crazy wedding...
Old 06-04-2007, 05:06 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Originally Posted by savage
you could always marry that kim chick. isn't she armenian? then you're set.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
anyone see blood diamond?

Get a certified Canadian diamond. They are conflict-free.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:45 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Received 608 Likes on 312 Posts
I don't think there is a price you "should" spend on the ring. In fact the question itself kind of makes me cringe. When my husband started talking about marriage & rings, we were in college & I didn't want him spending all his savings on the ring. I gave him a no-bigger-than size.

On the flip-side I have a friend whose husband bought her a >1ct VVS 1, D color ring set in platinum, that she tried to send back for a larger, more expensive one. I had to talk her out of being such a stupid cow.

I agree with those who have implied that if she's too hung up on the size of the ring or the amount spent, she needs to re-prioritize.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:59 PM
Crabcakes and Football!!!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Why the fuck can't women buy us something big in order to to justify me buying a shiney rock. I say I get a whipple charger for my Cobra....she gets a ring....
I think men deserve an engagement gift too if the female can afford it. Why not? I mean the guys are engaged as well. Its not a one way street
Old 06-04-2007, 11:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by wndrlst
I don't think there is a price you "should" spend on the ring. In fact the question itself kind of makes me cringe. When my husband started talking about marriage & rings, we were in college & I didn't want him spending all his savings on the ring. I gave him a no-bigger-than size.

On the flip-side I have a friend whose husband bought her a >1ct VVS 1, D color ring set in platinum, that she tried to send back for a larger, more expensive one. I had to talk her out of being such a stupid cow.

I agree with those who have implied that if she's too hung up on the size of the ring or the amount spent, she needs to re-prioritize.
You're married...?!?!???!??

Old 06-04-2007, 11:13 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by michimonster
I think men deserve an engagement gift too if the female can afford it. Why not? I mean the guys are engaged as well. Its not a one way street
I told my wife I wanted a sports car when we got married. She bought me a Ferrari....

By Matchbox.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Wanna get hitched? I wouldnt mind a gift
Old 06-05-2007, 12:57 PM
John Starks - The Dunk

My GF has promised me a nice watch as an engagement present.....whatever I choose
Old 06-05-2007, 01:47 PM
if you only knew...

Originally Posted by savage
i don't even have a gf right now but i have started saving up for the whole ring/wedding/honeymoon... i know my parents won't be able to help me out too much, although they want to...

I also won't expect anything from her parents, because they could be in the same boat as mine, but if I do get anything I would consider it a great bonus...

Just some advice - if you're paying for the wedding, nobody else has any right to expect anything from you. If you're as financially strapped as you say, perhaps you'd be better off using the money you are able to save for a home that you can pay a mortgage on. I've seen too many people spend all sorts of $$$ on a wedding, then live in a rented apt. for years while they save for a house. IMO this is foolish. Buy her a decent ring, have a nice honeymoon, and don't worry too much about what's in between, it's just not worth it.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by michiamo
Just some advice - if you're paying for the wedding, nobody else has any right to expect anything from you. If you're as financially strapped as you say, perhaps you'd be better off using the money you are able to save for a home that you can pay a mortgage on. I've seen too many people spend all sorts of $$$ on a wedding, then live in a rented apt. for years while they save for a house. IMO this is foolish. Buy her a decent ring, have a nice honeymoon, and don't worry too much about what's in between, it's just not worth it.

Exactly.

Mutual discussion, honesty and realism about 'where you are' will yield the best results.

It's supposed to be the greatest day of your life (next to childbirth) I think alot of couples go about getting married foolishly.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:58 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
90k-100k for a wedding

Fuck that... i am marryin my left hand....
Old 06-15-2007, 05:27 AM
Banned

Pull_T's General Rule:

If you didn't spend enough on the engagement ring, fuck the broad, ditch her, and feel glad you didn't take a larger bath unloading the jewlery wholesale. If she doesn't well up with tears and a "yes" even with a Froot Loop around her finger fuck the bitch and kick her to the curb.

The alternate answer is:

If you don't know both yourself and your future bride well enough to know what a suitable engagement ring will be.....then try to understand yourself and/or her better before leaping into an engagement.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:57 AM
B A N N E D

As much as you can afford. I spent like $5800.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:00 AM
The hair says it all

Absolutely anything under $10 grand is appropriate, IMO. How low you go is all about finances. Hopefully the marriage is more important than the ring.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:00 AM
The hair says it all

Originally Posted by michiamo
with this more than what I even said
Old 06-15-2007, 11:04 AM
Money is funny.

I spent 12k on it...and she never wears it...so unless she is there and loves the ring to death, spend wat you have to. It's kinda frustrating seeing this 12k ring I spent a lot of heart and time in finding and having made, and then she wears it on the wedding day and thats it...
Old 06-15-2007, 12:46 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by poohlikeshunny
It's kinda frustrating seeing this 12k ring I spent a lot of heart and time in finding and having made, and then she wears it on the wedding day and thats it...
Are you BustedJack or is your wife a doctor??
BJ's e-wife wouldn't wear a ring because she was a doctor and would have to pull gloves over them every day on their e-life. Actually, I have a buddy who is a real-life surgeon who doesn't wear rings for that reason.

My wife wears the engagement ring on the most random days, but much more often than I expected, so the ring's cost over time is reduced by amortization per use.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:51 PM
Advanced

go to blockbuster and rent "Blood Diamond"...

then, discuss the tragic consequences of supporting the diamond industry and point out facts on Wikipedia...

then go and buy her a ring without diamonds, pocket the extra cash...and save it for a down-payment on your first house with her...

everyone wins...and you give you future family a head start....

on a serious note, get her what you can afford and dont skimp out...just dont feel pressured to buy her more than you can afford becuase your best friend or her best friend had huge rings at engagement...and do your research!!! that in and of itself will save you a ton...be careful of name brands too...way too much mark-up...

congrats and good luck
Old 06-15-2007, 01:16 PM
LOUD NOISES!!

I got engaged last month, and I ended up spending 12K on the ring. Total weight 2 carats, 3 stones. .5c side stones and a 1c center stone (G, vvs1). All in a platinum trellis setting.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:18 PM
Senior Moderator

^ Nice and congrats!
Old 06-15-2007, 02:26 PM
Money is funny.

Originally Posted by TSX CSI
I got engaged last month, and I ended up spending 12K on the ring. Total weight 2 carats, 3 stones. .5c side stones and a 1c center stone (G, vvs1). All in a platinum trellis setting.

holy shit that's practically identical to my wife's ring!!! hahaha...did you go through allbykim.com? btw, congrats to yoU!

Will Y...hahaha...no bustedjack here...but my wife doesn't wear the ring because she doesn't like anything else on her finger except the wedding band. She says it gets in the way too often...

Quick Reply: How much should you spend on an engagement ring?