Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…
View Poll Results: Do you (or your significant other) wear their wedding band daily?
Yes -- all the time
73.91%
No -- I don't like wearing it
14.49%
Depends -- if I'm in the mood, I wear it
11.59%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Do you wear your wedding band every day?

Old 12-03-2008, 08:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Post Do you wear your wedding band every day?

Gotta question for the people out in the AZ world. I was talking to a colleague... and noticed she wasn't wearing her wedding band. I asked her why not and her response is that she's not a jewelry person and is afraid she'd lose it.

I have to say ... I don't wear my wedding band when I travel since I am afraid I will lose mine (not because I go out clubbing and put it in my pocket to pick up) ... since I am not a jewelry person myself, either (outside of a watch, but that has pragmatics, not accessorize my appearance). Some would argue that I should wear it every day to mark the symbolism of my love / commitment to my wife. I retort in that my word is my bond -- and I am a man of my word.

What do others do? Or do you know others who do not wear their wedding band?
Old 12-03-2008, 09:02 PM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
Yes. I wear it every day. The only time I take it off if I'm out is if I am playing pool. Then it goes back on. Just habit I guess.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:04 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Absolutely. It's very special to me.

As for others I know: A few female friends (of other backgrounds) don't wear a ring because they said they were never given an engagement ring or wedding band from their spouse. I know one person whose ring no longer fits, so they hang it from a necklace that hangs under their shirt.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Senior Moderator

^ Interesting you bring that up, Street Spirit!

1) My wife didn't want an engagement ring since she doesn't like rings and would rather the money go toward a down payment to a house ( ... ... I love my wife for being so practical)

2) My wife considered wearing the wedding band on a necklace but when she realized how easily platinum scratches ... she didn't even bother finding a necklace. So her wedding band sits inside those thick cotton jewelry 'bags' (about 2"x2") 99% of the time.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:21 PM
Not just a smell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, every day. The wife notices immediately if I'm not wearing it and you don't mess with red heads, especially Irish.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:24 PM
I have Lucy tied up in

My wife would kill me if I didn't wear it everyday, I like it the ring anyway and obviously love my wife so no biggie... Only comes of for sports/working out
Old 12-03-2008, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by derrick
2) My wife considered wearing the wedding band on a necklace but when she realized how easily platinum scratches ... she didn't even bother finding a necklace. So her wedding band sits inside those thick cotton jewelry 'bags' (about 2"x2") 99% of the time.
Don't see how it can get all that scratched if it hangs from a necklace....it'll stay looking newer for longer than if it was worn on her finger at least. Either way, I'd feel pretty rotten about putting so much thought and money into something special for my spouse - something meant "for life" - only to have it sit in a box in a drawer. IMO, it's meant to be appreciated and enjoyed, so wear it - unless you knew that about each other going in - in which case I wouldn't have bothered exchanging rings at all. She can always have it refinished, when necessary, down the road. My rings don't look brand new, but they're still special to me.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:27 PM
Team Owner

I don't think it would bother my wife if I forgot to wear it.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 71 Likes on 28 Posts
My husband and I wear our wedding bands everyday. The only time we take them off is when we take a bath or clean with chemicals.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
My wife and I always wear our wedding bands, including when in the shower, bathing, etc. The only time a ring is off is when it is being cleaned.

However, we never discussed wearing the rings, and I don't know if she prefers me to wear it or not. I like the wedding ring and it is the only visible jewelry I wear(besides the plastic Casio or Swatch watch that I wear through metal detectors).
Old 12-03-2008, 10:20 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
I stopped wearing mine about 4 1/2 yrs ago, when we got our German Shepherd. I got my fingers caught in her mouth one too many times while playing. So I haven't worn it since.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
I stopped wearing mine soon after I started biking because of numbness on the outer half of my left hand. I also lost a bit of weight and it basically falls off my hand when I trip over the threshold of a nightclub.

My wife still wears hers.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:52 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,081 Likes on 2,698 Posts
Been wearing mine everyday, wondering when I'll stop.

I did have it most of today. I took it off to go the gym (lifting with rings is NOT comfortable) and I forgot to put it back on til this evening
Old 12-04-2008, 05:34 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,421 Posts
Been on for over 11 years.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:40 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts

I just started taking it off at night, but thats it.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:05 AM
has Gloryhole Girls in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by svtmike
I stopped wearing mine soon after I started biking because of numbness on the outer half of my left hand. I also lost a bit of weight and it basically falls off my hand when I trip over the threshold of a nightclub.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:36 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts

Wear mine unless I'm working on something. Take it off to sleep and shower as well.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:47 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,477 Likes on 3,070 Posts
Not married
Old 12-04-2008, 08:49 AM
Team Owner

Old 12-04-2008, 09:10 AM
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I wore mine for about a month and then stopped. I never wore rings prior to that and do not like the feeling of it. I also hated how water would get under it when I washed my hands, so then I started taking it off before I'd wash and wound up leaving it on the counter at work quite a few times. I would remember rather quickly and it was always there. I figured I would just leave it at home before I wound up losing it. It was only about $100 anyway, plain titanium.

I wear a watch and thats it, not a jewelry person.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:24 AM
Suzuka Master

I'm not married but I see a lot of guys at work that don't wear them. But they all talk non-stop about how great their wives and kids are so I don't think they have any bad intentions

Kind of off topic, but I've noticed a few younger married girls at work that wear their wedding ring on the left hand and engagement ring on the right. Anyone else see this? What's the meaning of it?
Old 12-04-2008, 09:50 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There are rich women with huge rocks on their finger that sleep with their pool boy! Men likewise...sans the pool boy...maybe...lol...

The ring is nothing but a "symbol" of the love. What's real is inside and what you share. If you take it off for a time, no matter what the reason (except adultery), it should not be cause for alarm or an argument.

As for sentimental reasons, ok, I get that. But how sentimental can it be when you resize it? Not the original stone anymore. Just the original band. Sort of like when a man or a woman gets a divorce and finds someone new. Not the original spouse anymore...just the original house.

Put your love and the worth of your relationship into someone, not something...
Old 12-04-2008, 10:42 AM
Safety Car

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike 350Z
Kind of off topic, but I've noticed a few younger married girls at work that wear their wedding ring on the left hand and engagement ring on the right. Anyone else see this? What's the meaning of it?
hmmm, never heard of that, maybe they just dunno where to wear it?? I wear mine all the time, unless I am in the pool...I lost an earring in there b4 dammit!
Old 12-04-2008, 10:48 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by CarrieLynn
hmmm, never heard of that, maybe they just dunno where to wear it?? I wear mine all the time, unless I am in the pool...I lost an earring in there b4 dammit!
Shortly after we were engaged my wife lost her ring in a Lake playing volleyball!

After 6 hours of searching we somehow found it.

Don't ask my why she didn't take it off.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
I have to take mine off when I box, I lost it and found it like 3 times, so I don't even bother since I train so often. She's cool with it even tho she would prefer I wear it all the time. And even if someone wore it in front of their wife, they can always take it off right before they are about to approach another woman, so its not like its a visible permanent tatoo that says, "I' Married!".
Old 12-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by darksom1
Put your love and the worth of your relationship into someone, not something...
Well said.

Hell, my wife wears her rings a lot less than I do. And she has told me I don't need to wear mine. I just don't have a problem wearing mine.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:31 AM

But how sentimental can it be when you resize it? Not the original stone anymore. Just the original band.

It's sentimental to me because I know he put A LOT of time, thought, and effort into making into something he was really proud to give me (he designed it). Aside from the fact that it costs money, why wouldn't I want to cherish something that he created with loving intentions especially for me? Personally, I have no plans of changing his original design - I happen to love it regardless, because it's from him.

Other people put no importance into rings or the material exchange when they propose or speak their vows. I don't see anything wrong with that either. If my husband didn't want to wear a ring, I wouldn't have designed one for him to begin with, and would've spent the money on something else that he would've enjoyed as a wedding gift. I just wouldn't have seen the point in spending the time and money on it only to have him tell me after the exchange that he doesn't want to wear jewelery....to me that's a waste.

I completely agree that your commitment is not in a piece of precious metal, and it does not define the strength or importance of your relationship.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:34 AM
i heart latin chicks

Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm not married
Old 12-04-2008, 07:02 PM
Senior Moderator

I guess it's easy for my wife and I not to wear it every day. A trip to the jewelry store, pick the size ... ready in a few days.

I have made a conscientious effort to have my ring polished annually since I have lifetime free polishing. And being the cheapskate that I am ... you darn right I will take advantage of it!
Old 12-04-2008, 07:39 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
It's sentimental to me because I know he put A LOT of time, thought, and effort into making into something he was really proud to give me (he designed it). Aside from the fact that it costs money, why wouldn't I want to cherish something that he created with loving intentions especially for me? Personally, I have no plans of changing his original design - I happen to love it regardless, because it's from him.
That is the way to go SS! Now that is the type of ring to me that has sentimental value beyond the norm! That is very nice, intimate, thoughtful and personal. I hope no harm comes to them during your daily use.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:44 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by derrick
I guess it's easy for my wife and I not to wear it every day. A trip to the jewelry store, pick the size ... ready in a few days.

I have made a conscientious effort to have my ring polished annually since I have lifetime free polishing. And being the cheapskate that I am ... you darn right I will take advantage of it!
Haha...I don't blame you! If she doesn't care as much for hers though Derrick, maybe you won't have to upgrade it later!
Old 12-04-2008, 07:50 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I wear mine nearly all the time (unless I lose it) when going out, but take it off almost immediated after I get home. She's pretty much the same.

SS - are you talking about both the wedding band and engagement ring or just the band? Most women completely believe they will always where their engagement ring every day, but after about a year or so of marriage, they stop wearing it daily. Of course, YMMV.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by moeronn
SS - are you talking about both the wedding band and engagement ring or just the band? Most women completely believe they will always where their engagement ring every day, but after about a year or so of marriage, they stop wearing it daily. Of course, YMMV.
I've worn my engagement ring since he slipped it on my finger, and haven't taken off my band since I got it either. The band was designed and the mould was cast at the same time that Dan designed my engagement ring so the rings would be a matching set (we didn't actually have the band made until we needed it though). I don't have any plans of taking off one or the other. I think I'd feel naked without them - kind of like how I feel if I forget to wear my watch...just wouldn't feel right to me.

I've heard of some women taking off their engagement ring after having children though so the stone doesn't get in the way or scratch a baby's delicate skin. I don't see this becoming an issue for me either. Some women also decide to wear one ring on one hand and one on the other....

I know some people can't wear rings because of their jobs, but luckily, mine's not one of them.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:16 PM

That is the way to go SS! Now that is the type of ring to me that has sentimental value beyond the norm! That is very nice, intimate, thoughtful and personal. I hope no harm comes to them during your daily use.
We designed each aspect of each other's rings, so they are completely unique to us. My husband did a beautiful job at creating a stunning ring that I still get random compliments on by strangers. But in all sincerity, nothing beats everything that went on behind the scenes for Dan to do all this for me. From what I understand, it was a few months worth of emails back and forth to the jeweler about every detail of the ring...changes, decisions, revisions, etc. How can you top that?!!

I know someone who has changed the setting AND stone on her engagement ring (now married for 7 years) numerous times - even before they were married! She had no problem flat out saying (to anyone) that she didn't like the setting, and wanted to use a different stone --- a large diamond that her Grandma offered her (still alive). So, not only is the stone not what was chosen for her by her hushand originally, neither is the setting, design, or anything else about the ring. I don't know how the husband felt about having nothing left of what he gave her originally, but I feel awful for him. Maybe he's not bothered by it, but to me, it's kind of a slap on the face. I understand having preferences and differences in taste (if the ring was a surprise), but to completely dismember everything about it makes it so much less sentimental, IMO....she should've just bought herself a ring and saved him the time, trouble, and money.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:19 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

^

I think saying she didn't like the original ring is an understatement! He is probably glad that Granny let him off the hook from having to be the one that got her that huge rock replacement though!
Old 12-04-2008, 08:28 PM

^

I think saying she didn't like the original ring is an understatement! He is probably glad that Granny let him off the hook from having to be the one that got her that huge rock replacement though!
Well, she obviously didn't have much attachment to it. Maybe she had ring ADD. She seems to have finally found something she can live with though, as I haven't heard about any changes in a few years.

Meh...in all honesty though, the stone itself is huge, but pretty plain and not all that pretty. Maybe because it's so large, it doesn't seem to have a lot of brilliance or interest to the cut...at least IMO. It's just a big diamond. I'd take mine any day.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:30 PM
has Gloryhole Girls in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Love the ads...

Old 12-04-2008, 09:14 PM
Creepy guy in the mirror.

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
I wear mine all the time. It is a comfort fit so it never gets in the way. The only time I take it off is when working around the house with tools and whatnot. Or washing the car...
Old 12-05-2008, 11:09 PM
Pink things in...

I, too, feel a bit naked without mine on. I take it off before sleeping and showering. I put it in usually 1 of 2 places so I always know where both of them are.

My husband wears his 99% of the time. He takes his rings off before showering, but he usually puts them back on right after. If he forgets, I don't really mind.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Yes, he did that

I wear mine all the time since I just got married on Nov 1st

I do take it off before bed and before taking a shower. I love my wedding band.

Quick Reply: Do you wear your wedding band every day?