Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…
View Poll Results: Which would you prefer?
Face-to-Face meeting someone new
85.19%
Online meeting someone new
14.81%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

which do you find better....

Old 04-19-2005 | 09:18 AM
If He Dies...He Dies

which do you find better....

Meeting a random girl or guy and start talking/dating or online dating?

I've met girls on both, but I'm not sure which I find better. They both have their advantages and drawbacks.
Old 04-19-2005 | 09:38 AM
Safety Car

I've never met someone online and dated them, so I'd have to say face-to-face.
Old 04-19-2005 | 09:42 AM
If He Dies...He Dies

My thing is that I go out to bars, and I see really really good looking women. But, I don't want to start dating a woman I met in a bar. I've done it before and it lasted for about 4 mths. I've met women in different places other than bars, but I would like to find a woman that is worthwhile. Online dating has been ok. I've met a few women off their also. I've been friends with one woman I met online for like 5 years.
Old 04-19-2005 | 11:26 AM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

There's nothing like actually conversing with a person face to face... you get a whole diffrent experience... you get a better impression of what the person is like before you actually give out to much info about yourself...
Old 04-19-2005 | 11:28 AM
50? you must be kidding!

Face to face is much better, met one girl from online, of course it was a disappointment...
Old 04-19-2005 | 11:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Online chicks =
Old 04-19-2005 | 04:52 PM
Go Noles!

online = you have no social skills.
Old 04-19-2005 | 06:37 PM
If He Dies...He Dies

^not necessarily. I know a couple of chicks that have a lotta friends that talk to guys online.
Old 04-19-2005 | 07:47 PM
Banned

Meeting people online is lame and unpredictable.
Old 04-19-2005 | 08:23 PM
I keeps it real

Originally Posted by supermegaglossy
That's just a cop out for opportunist, arrogant SOB's to pigeon hole someone and underhanded compliment themselves. (see your post for example )

This isnt 1996 anymore. The Internet is a part of mainstream America. It's not just tools and fools anymore as your statement implies.

I've met a few girls online and I am definitely not some chump anti-social. It's just part of our life now and the connotations you imply were rendered obsolete at the turn of the century. Get with the times girl
Old 04-19-2005 | 08:40 PM
Diamonds are forever...

Originally Posted by GoDucksCLSPride
That's just a cop out for opportunist, arrogant SOB's to pigeon hole someone and underhanded compliment themselves. (see your post for example )

This isnt 1996 anymore. The Internet is a part of mainstream America. It's not just tools and fools anymore as your statement implies.

I've met a few girls online and I am definitely not some chump anti-social. It's just part of our life now and the connotations you imply were rendered obsolete at the turn of the century. Get with the times girl

the net is just another way to connect with people . I've met a few people online and they were pretty cool.
Old 04-19-2005 | 08:43 PM
If He Dies...He Dies

Clear example...not in a meeting-to-date type thing...but when we have our car meets. I've stayed in contact with a few people. Unfortunately, there haven't been any girls around my area that are really into their car that come to our meets. That would be the best of both worlds and I would be asking to much.
Old 04-19-2005 | 08:52 PM
Pit Stop?

Originally Posted by GeishaGirl
the net is just another way to connect with people . I've met a few people online and they were pretty cool.

Old 04-19-2005 | 08:56 PM
teh Senior Instigator

From: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
That's a tough one, because i've been doing both since I was 16. And I did find my future wife online.

Kind of a tossup. I feel they both have their advantages and disadvantages.
Old 04-19-2005 | 08:57 PM
teh Senior Instigator

From: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA

yea, after reading her comments for a day, she's pretty ignorable.

You are dead on. What suprised me most when I bought my engagement ring. The lady said about 50% of the people these days meet online. You still need social skills to hook up online, etc.

It'd be interesting to make some stats that show face to face couples and online ones and how they work out. Which has better success.
Old 04-19-2005 | 11:21 PM
If He Dies...He Dies

I'm glad some people are alot more open-minded...not to say that everyone needs to be.

The world is still a dangerous place, whether on the Internet or in physical world.

I think on the Internet, you might have a better chance at finding more people that might have the same interests, goals, objectives.
Old 04-19-2005 | 11:33 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

I don't really agree. First of all it depends which sites you're on. You still need social skills to carry on a proper conversation, whether you are typing, on the phone, or in person. However, some sites are like sex-hookups, where people start 'conversations' with "a/sl" or some other crap like that. I stay far away from that.

Another reason I don't agree is because, in my case, it's VERY hard to just meet a wholesome gay guy outside of the bar. I HATE meeting people in bars, and most of the good ones avoid the bar most of the time. And outside of them it's hard to tell who is and who isn't, and the damn odds are stacked against me 10 to 1, at least. At least online on gaycanada or something, I know that I'm not talking to a straight guy, who shouldn't be on there in the first place.

The last reason I have is because if someone's agressive, it's easier to turn them down. Face to face, the person can get very touchy feely a little too fast without getting to know them first. At least online you can postpone the meeting in person for an indefinite time, however long it takes until you feel you know them well enough.

Of course there are good things about meeting face to face too. It's more personal. I'd prefer this method if it wasn't for the above reasons, especially the second one.
Old 04-19-2005 | 11:37 PM
No pics w/thread= garbage

Originally Posted by MisterMehoff
I think on the Internet, you might have a better chance at finding more people that might have the same interests, goals, objectives.

Thats one of the greater things about online dating, is that you can see exactly where you stand with them, and whether or not they are worth waisting your time. You can see who you like, and who you dont, and it'll either work, or just keep a look out till you find one that gets your eye...

Yes, you still need to be able to do the "talking" once it comes face to face. You might meet some that are not what you are looking for, and some seem to act different once they meet in person.
Old 04-20-2005 | 12:21 AM
Banned

face to face definatley, you never know who your talking to on the computer
Old 04-20-2005 | 12:36 AM
Burning Brakes

I couldn't agree more.

Say, what's your sign? I'm a ram myself.

????

On a more serious note I met a great women through the internet. Thing is I'm 34, very established and to tell you the truth it is hard meeting what I would consider good people. I've never had trouble stricking up a conversation and getting to know a women face to face and picking her up...just actually liking her is the problem.

Last edited by spidey07; 04-20-2005 at 12:39 AM.
Old 04-20-2005 | 07:50 AM
wiz
Pro

I've done both and online dating is easier because you already know a little bit about them when you meet them and there is less awkwardness. However, if you don't have much in common with them and then meet them in person, you might have already talked about everything and thus you have nothing else to talk about and the date is boring.

There is always that thrill of walking up to a woman and striking up a conversation with her. When you meet her in person you have to really work to get her to talk to you (unless she just thinks your hot to begin with). Then, if you move on from there, it's like a nice victory.

Oh yeah, another thing. I met my fiancee on the internet, but it was through a dating service. I wasn't really looking for anything other than maybe some women to sleep with, but you never know who you might meet.
Old 04-20-2005 | 07:53 AM
wiz
Pro

I actually take offense to this.

I have pretty good social skills and a lot of friends...but there in lies the problem. Every woman (or at least most) I seem to meet in person becomes a friend and nothing more. Sure there have been the exceptions, but mostly they see me as a friend. Hard to explain, but I met the woman I love and am going to marry online and I have no problems with it at all.
Old 04-20-2005 | 10:26 PM
Go Noles!

The Internet is a part of mainstream America. It's not just tools and fools anymore as your statement implies. ... It's just part of our life now and the connotations you imply were rendered obsolete at the turn of the century.
Yeah, and our increasingly internet-based and "over-communicated" society has lead to a decrease in the quality of many Americans' ability to communicate on a real live interpersonal level. Meaning, most people find it hard to carry on an intellectual conversation without being able to hit the backspace key. But then again, that's just my opinion.

Originally Posted by spidey07
I couldn't agree more.

Say, what's your sign? I'm a ram myself.

????

On a more serious note I met a great women through the internet. Thing is I'm 34, very established and to tell you the truth it is hard meeting what I would consider good people. I've never had trouble stricking up a conversation and getting to know a women face to face and picking her up...just actually liking her is the problem.
i just think it's important to meet someone in person first. sure, you can really get to know someone and like them online, and think they're hot from a few well-lighted photgraphs, but you don't see their mannerisms. and that's the most important part about being around someone. and then if they creep you out, you have to break up with someone you only met once. seems like a lot of wasted time to me.

ps. i'm a goat
Old 04-21-2005 | 08:31 AM
50? you must be kidding!

I think it all depends on what you are really looking for, I've met some GREAT people online that I've not met in person yet (it's possible of course that some of them aren't what they seem, but unlikely) . I think the one disappointing meet I did have was my own fault, I was expecting too much and hadn't talked to her enough to really know what was what.
As for the folks on here all seem to be very genuine and good folks, and I appreciate getting to know some of them through private messages and email, it's been pretty fun here at least!
Old 07-13-2005 | 03:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 98CLChick

Old 07-13-2005 | 10:32 AM
Community Architect
robb m.

my sister met her hubby online.

I've met many fantastic male and female friends online. heck, is one of my best friends and we met online.

It takes as much game to "score" a quality woman online as it does in person IMO.
Old 07-13-2005 | 11:11 AM
minibike wheelie king ;-)

Originally Posted by 98CLChick
I have never met anyone online period
Old 07-13-2005 | 12:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Astroboy
my sister met her hubby online.

I've met many fantastic male and female friends online. heck, is one of my best friends and we met online.

It takes as much game to "score" a quality woman online as it does in person IMO.

I think its hard to do it online, so many times girls just stopped talking to me after they see my pic. Then again i hardly smile in my pics.

In person at least i have a fighting chance.
Old 07-13-2005 | 01:02 PM
Banned

i prefer....

if you were to meet a girl for a few minutes face to face.

THEN spoke to her online for a bit before you met up with her again.

therefore, you have a little bit of background about her and have a strong basis of convo when you meet her.