Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…

Can a man and woman just be friends?

Old 09-15-2006, 08:20 AM
GSI
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The fact that her husband doesn't know they are talking says it all. My opinion is that men and women can't just be friends.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:42 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,419 Likes on 3,028 Posts
Originally Posted by SaraWI
I think Chris Rock answered this best:

A guys only has female friends he hasn't fucked YET and a guy friend to a girl is like a dick in a glass case: in case of emergency, break glass.
Love that quote, so true
Old 09-15-2006, 05:19 PM
Arriving Somewhere...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can honestly say, life would be a heck of a lot more boring if "sex" was always a barrior. I've had a lot of female friends over the years. Obviously, this is from a guy's perspective, but to me, there are three kinds:

1. Girl that is not attractive to you. One of my best friends in college was a girl like this. Sometimes it's hard to get this kind of friendship started because people just don't gravitate towards someone that doesn't attract them at all.

2. Girl that you're attracted to (at least a little), but that you don't put above the rest or think about constantly. This is a key category that a lot of married couples miss out on. My wife and I have both had a lot of friends like this, and our lives have been better because of it. The key is to know your boundaries, and know that you'll never cheat. It usually works best with someone else who is married or with someone else. You can establish some really interesting relationships without going "there".

3. Girl that is not "safe" anymore. This only happened to me once in the 12 years that I've been married... and it was an online friend. We really hit it off and were friends for about a year, when suddenly I started to feel differently. My wife always said that she learned a good piece of advice from her parents: if you are starting to get feelings for someone else, tell your wife or husband. That takes the mystery out of it, and makes it less powerful. So that's what I did. I told my wife and also discussed it with the online girl. She said she knew exactly what I meant, and that her bf was starting to get jealous. We did stay friends for a few years after that, but it was never quite the same (which is exactly the way it was supposed to work). And by the way, my wife was totally cool with it. If anything, it proved that I wouldn't cheat if it got dangerous.

I guess it wouldn't work if either person is overly jealous or if either person may cheat if given the opportunity. They way I look at it though, if you're only allowed to be friends with guys and your wife, you're a lot more likely to cheat anyway (or at the very least, build up a resentment for all the fun people you're missing out on).
Old 09-15-2006, 09:23 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NO!
Old 09-17-2006, 07:07 PM
Crabcakes and Football!!!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Definitely. I have many male friends with whom nothing sexual or romantic has happened nor will it ever happen
Old 09-17-2006, 07:08 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
Originally Posted by Michiraces2much
Definitely. I have many male friends with whom nothing sexual or romantic has happened nor will it ever happen
I bet only you think that....
Old 09-17-2006, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Whiskers
I bet only you think that....
We're friends and i only let you PIITB, no strings attached jk At least not with my male friends on my end. If I wanted to have any type of romantic interest or sex, it would have happened by now.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:26 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
Originally Posted by Michiraces2much
We're friends and i only let you PIITB, no strings attached jk At least not with my male friends on my end. If I wanted to have any type of romantic interest or sex, it would have happened by now.
Ok, Ill stop asking......
Old 09-17-2006, 07:28 PM

It's ok. I like to hear you beg for a meaningful relationship
Old 09-19-2006, 09:35 PM
"L-I-V-I-N"

One of my best friends is a chick. She's attractive too, in pretty much anyone's opinion. She's currently in a relationship and I'm single though over the course of our friendship there were times we have both been single and also times I've had a girlfriend and she hasn't had a boyfriend. Never has it been awkward or have we been in a situation where either one of us liked the other 'that way' it's pretty much just understood that neither of us would date the other one. Actually, its real fuckin nice having an attractive female you aren't trying to lay who you can bounce questions off of, get advice from, just chill with, ect. Not everyone can do it and not get feelings / get drunk and end up banging and fucking it all up, some can though.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:37 PM
Burning Brakes

lol....
Old 09-26-2006, 08:27 PM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by NewAgePirate
One of my best friends is a chick. She's attractive too, in pretty much anyone's opinion. She's currently in a relationship and I'm single though over the course of our friendship there were times we have both been single and also times I've had a girlfriend and she hasn't had a boyfriend. Never has it been awkward or have we been in a situation where either one of us liked the other 'that way' it's pretty much just understood that neither of us would date the other one. Actually, its real fuckin nice having an attractive female you aren't trying to lay who you can bounce questions off of, get advice from, just chill with, ect. Not everyone can do it and not get feelings / get drunk and end up banging and fucking it all up, some can though.
hard to find sumone like you two....
Old 09-26-2006, 09:36 PM
Racer

Can you set me up with her? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-27-2006, 08:21 PM
Evil Mastermind

Originally Posted by NewAgePirate
You sure it's not just because your too ugly for her to mess with?

jk
Old 09-29-2006, 02:38 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
Originally Posted by fdl
Not possible, not in the truest sense of friendship. Unless the woman is extremely unattrative, the male in the "friendship" will always think about having sex with her. He may never act on these feeling, but they will ALWAYS be there. Hence why I think in the purest sense, it is not possible.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:37 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
You know what?

I don't really know anymore. I thought it was possible, but about 3 weeks ago I experienced a rather horrific incident that skewed my viewpoint.

A good friend of mine that I met in first year (meaning I've known her for over 4 years) who I hung out with alot had a group of us over at her house. We were all drinking and I had an 8AM class that day, so I fell asleep on the bed in her sister's room.

Some unknown time later, I woke up to a cold feeling near my legs. My shorts were off and her and her friends were looking at my tool. Needless to say we aren't friends anymore.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:49 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by youngTL
You know what?

I don't really know anymore. I thought it was possible, but about 3 weeks ago I experienced a rather horrific incident that skewed my viewpoint.

A good friend of mine that I met in first year (meaning I've known her for over 4 years) who I hung out with alot had a group of us over at her house. We were all drinking and I had an 8AM class that day, so I fell asleep on the bed in her sister's room.

Some unknown time later, I woke up to a cold feeling near my legs. My shorts were off and her and her friends were looking at my tool. Needless to say we aren't friends anymore.
Not to down play that incident, it sounds pretty shitty, but I don't know that this question is really valid for you.

And yes, I know what my previous post says
Old 10-04-2006, 03:34 PM
98EXL, v2.0.1.33

this should clear things up...for the most part, like in chemistry class, there are always exceptions to the rules:

http://www.intellectualwhores.com/

It basically talks about ladder theory. Men have one ladder, and they place women on the ladder, top being who they would fuck, bottom isn't getting any ass. Women have two ladders. Once for friends, and one for fucking. Men seldom 'ladder jump' from the friends ladder "the friends zone" to the relationship/sex ladder. Which explains a lot of things.

The site is a good read while you are at work and bored, but it does make sense. You learn terms like intellectual whores and intellectual pimps, etc.

Bottom Line (taken from the site mentioned above):
Back to the Beginning: Yes Virginia, They All Want to Bang You.

You'll note that a man has one ladder while a female has two. The man is lacking a "friends ladder." The man's ladder reflects the conventional wisdom that a man generally only wants one thing. That's because the conventional wisdom is correct. This leads us back to the conclusion that many women I have explained this to find so distasteful:
IF A MAN FINDS YOU ATTRACTIVE YOU CANNOT BE FRIENDS
Old 10-04-2006, 04:15 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Old 10-12-2006, 07:09 PM
"L-I-V-I-N"

You sure it's not just because your too ugly for her to mess with?
Haha see I knew I was going to get hated on for that post so I almost didn't make it. Hey, if someone else had made it I'd say the same damn thing. In all honesty though in terms of friendships with women it just matters how you both conceive of it. Some members of the opposite sex make fantastic friends but you know before you even get into it that they would be terrible significant others. That is this girl. So why not just bang? It depends on how you value the friendship because sex changes things. Also, it depends on what benifits you have from remaining friends vs. become fuck buddies. You have to do the calculation. See, I've hooked up with her friends and even slept with her roomate. She's dated a buddy of mine. We get eachother ass and laugh about it and share advice. If we slept together, it'd be fun, but the friendship would change and eventually complications would arise that would end it. Then no more benifits associated with the friendship at all. I'm happy with life right now, and get enough ass to not worry about having to canabalize a friendship just to get even more.

Flame away.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by WILLDOGS

PS, her boyfriend has no idea of what is going on since he is very jealous and doesn't agree with her having guy friends. She said if he wasn't so against it that she would gladly tell him.
That's the red flag that tells you she's a triflin' whore.

You can argue about whether a man and woman can be friends or even the merits of him being jealous over a male friend, however, that's irrelevant. Fact is...her SO doesn't go for that sort of thing and she can either:

A. Respect that and not chat dudes up

B. Be a triflin' whore

C. Leave him

She is choosing B.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:09 AM
98EXL, v2.0.1.33

Originally Posted by Pull_T
She is choosing B.
my is
Old 10-13-2006, 12:41 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
For a girl yes. For a guy no.

Old 10-13-2006, 12:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Yes
Old 10-17-2006, 12:03 PM
Burning Brakes

yes, men and women can be friends...as long as both parties have enough respect for each other to not cross the boundaries...

referring to serious/closer friends, no flirting. absolutely none. it will ruin your friendship.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:17 PM
The Boss

I have plenty of women friends. As long as you're happily married, in love or content with who you are with, it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by moeronn
Not to down play that incident, it sounds pretty shitty, but I don't know that this question is really valid for you.

And yes, I know what my previous post says

It does apply. I could have been unavailable in other ways if it wasn't that (like if a man is married).

I don't think men and women can be friends without some sort of tension. Even societally it's difficult. If you hang around the same woman too often if you're a man, people will think something is going on between you, even if there is not. Some friends may even try to push for something to happen.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:37 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by fdl
Not possible, not in the truest sense of friendship. Unless the woman is extremely unattrative, the male in the "friendship" will always think about having sex with her. He may never act on these feeling, but they will ALWAYS be there. Hence why I think in the purest sense, it is not possible.

I was going to read this entire thread but got here and stopped.

I give this post a big

My wife has some guy friends and Im sure they all want to have sex with her..
Old 10-23-2006, 10:39 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Originally Posted by AcuraDriver2006
I have plenty of women friends. As long as you're happily married, in love or content with who you are with, it shouldn't be a problem.
oh my god Jack thats a good one...

so you've never looked at another female and thought anything sexual???

Im not saying you cant be friends, but the thought always appears now and again...
Old 10-23-2006, 12:05 PM
ITS ALL ABOUT THE GLOW

Originally Posted by trancemission
I was going to read this entire thread but got here and stopped.

I give this post a big

My wife has some guy friends and Im sure they all want to have sex with her..

I totally AGREE WITH BOTH OF U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-23-2006, 02:22 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

is that right?

mmmmmmmmm young high school girls mmmmmmmmmmmm

did I do that out loud........
Old 10-23-2006, 02:34 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Old 10-23-2006, 07:38 PM

is that right?
Old 10-24-2006, 10:49 AM
ITS ALL ABOUT THE GLOW

:ouch:
Old 10-24-2006, 11:50 AM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
NOPE...
If you're a guy...and you have a girl thats a friend...YOU KNOW, in a drunken mess, you'd bang her. I don't have one girl thats a friend the I wouldn't lay the pipe in!
Old 10-24-2006, 02:02 PM
98EXL, v2.0.1.33

Originally Posted by Nicky Pass
NOPE...
If you're a guy...and you have a girl thats a friend...YOU KNOW, in a drunken mess, you'd bang her. I don't have one girl thats a friend the I wouldn't lay the pipe in!

even the BBW's I'd lay some pipe into
Old 10-24-2006, 03:25 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
is that right?
Old 10-24-2006, 04:30 PM
Burning Brakes

is that right?

mmmmmmmmm young high school girls mmmmmmmmmmmm

did I do that out loud........

lol !! Totally owned!! lol !!

So which one is it Jack?
Old 10-24-2006, 04:35 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Look, I think we would all like to lay the pipe in some high school girls, but deep down we know its wrong.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:51 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

I have 5 close female friends I wouldn't ever sleep with, for a number of reasons. Two, while awesome individuals to hang out with, are filthy sluts who fuck and suck any guy around, they know I'm not interested in them like that and we are good friends and that's it. One has a real hunger for life and while I like her as a friend she does nothing for me physically and I couldn't see myself with someone with her mentality. The other two are attractive woman, one is, as the cliche line would go, like my sister, she has been dating my best friend for over 2 years and never once have things got weird between us or he questioned me. Its not out entirely of respect for either of them, its because there is no chemistry between us, yes she's attractive, yes we have things in common, but she does some things that piss me off to no end and I do the same to her and we tell each other to fuck off and in a day or two are good friends again, laughing about what upset us. The other attractive one is fairly new to my circle of friends, first of all she is too young for me, but her head and heart are in the right spot, and I think she is a caring individual just not for me.

And the rest of my female friends... given the opportunity, I would be all over in a heart beat

Quick Reply: Can a man and woman just be friends?