Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…

Asked to a prom

Old 06-24-2005, 10:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by youngTL
He's 18, I'm 21. IMO 3 years is not a huge difference. I guess it's a little nerve wracking because his family is excited to meet me, and that I'm actually his official date, like holding hands type of date and dancing with him during it. I've got a black suit-like outfit, and his is also black. Seriously I need some prom ettiquette (sp?) help so that I don't make an ass of myself.
Ettiquette? Dude, this is a highschool prom. 99% of the kids there don't even know that some people eat dinner with more than one fork. Half the kids will get trashed before they even get to the prom, 45% will show up and dance (if you call wiggling to try and hide the fact that you're groping your date dancing), the other 5% will just sit around because they don't like their date or they're too nervous to dance.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:56 PM
buy my car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you look presentable you'll be good to go. its one night-a couple hours-what you have in those pics are fine. maybe get or borrow a different tie to to have it contrast a little.
if you be your self and act how you would if it was your prom, or you invited him then you'll be set. dont do anything to draw unnecessary attention to yourself (get drunk, try to be comical...)

he didnt ask you to join him cause of your style of dress, he asked you cause you're you-so just be yourself.

bring wireless laptop incase you need advise mid way through!!

enjoy
Old 06-25-2005, 12:51 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by afici0nad0
i'm confused now...

he's 18, you're 21. you are the male in the pictures, right?

you're taking another man to the prom?

you might be the topic of gossip that night, whether you like it or not...

but as long as you are polite in front of the parents, that's all the matters...
Those pictures are 3 years old. I'm the guy who shows up in all 3 pictures. The woman in the top picture is my MOM!! Cam isn't in any of those pictures. Those pictures are from my graduation. He invited me, not the other way around (obviously). I don't think there will be too much gossip. He went to the gayest high school in the city (Victoria Composite) which is known for a disproportionate number of gay students.

Last edited by youngTL; 06-25-2005 at 12:54 AM.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by m&b6speed
if you look presentable you'll be good to go. its one night-a couple hours-what you have in those pics are fine. maybe get or borrow a different tie to to have it contrast a little.
if you be your self and act how you would if it was your prom, or you invited him then you'll be set. dont do anything to draw unnecessary attention to yourself (get drunk, try to be comical...)

he didnt ask you to join him cause of your style of dress, he asked you cause you're you-so just be yourself.

bring wireless laptop incase you need advise mid way through!!

enjoy
Yeah I don't know what I was thinking at the time when I bought that tie. Argh.
I'll just be myself but tone down the crude remarks that tend to make people laugh. Unless of course his parents start talking like that. Then it's open season.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:31 PM
Burning Brakes

One of you should definitely pick the other up. I don't know how to decide that with two guys, but I'll leave that up to you.... on second thought, whoever has the nicer car should pick the other one up IMHO. Just relax you should enjoy prom
Old 06-25-2005, 03:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Make sure you contact the florist ASAP, I am thinking they will need a weeks notice. I am going to Ottawa with a friend who is going to a prom with a girl there and they were discussing the whole weeks notice for the flowers.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mike_McCready
One of you should definitely pick the other up. I don't know how to decide that with two guys, but I'll leave that up to you.... on second thought, whoever has the nicer car should pick the other one up IMHO. Just relax you should enjoy prom
That would be me.

Acura > Ford Truck
Old 06-26-2005, 09:36 AM
Burning Brakes

That would be me.

Acura > Ford Truck
Old 06-26-2005, 11:10 AM
how handsome I am

Originally Posted by rise
...I had no idea you were gay. EVERYTHING you've posted in the past makes sense now.
this happens at least ONCE everytime youngTL makes a post. AT LEAST one time.

have fun @prom chief

-Alex
Old 06-26-2005, 11:19 AM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
It's not like proms down there. Here we tend to mix the prom with some sort of ceremony. Like it's a huge tradition that your whole family comes, and you get a table, and they serve food, beverages (including alcoholic ones), and dessert. You eat as the ceremony goes on, where they show slideshows and videos compiled by the students of what a fun year it was and highlights of the year. There's usually a couple of speeches, and by the time this is all over, everyone is finished eating. The parents stay at the tables while the kids go off to dance on the dance floor. The school rented the Shaw Conference Centre (a HUGE building for functions) for this. They must make a killing at $50 apiece tickets.

my prom was just drinkin people waiting to get even drunker at the after party
Old 06-26-2005, 01:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SG81
my prom was just drinkin people waiting to get even drunker at the after party
Word, that's how we do here too
Old 06-26-2005, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mike_McCready
Word, that's how we do here too
Here everyone just waits for the afterparty. The bus usually drives you out there (it's a bush party 95% of the time, weather permitting). Usually you can see dads unloading cases of beer and stuff. One guy's dad even unloaded 3 kegs at mine! The price of the afterparty is covered in the main ticket, but for that extra money they hire a 3 or 4 medics/nurses (usually military-in-training) who have a little tent full of gear and a satellite phone ready in case they need to call the ambulance. They stay there all night and make sure nobody gets hurt. The after party is pretty official, but the location stays unannounced. The bus leaves and takes you to the location while the parents stay at the grad until we all leave. Then they announce the location to the parents. You aren't allowed to bring cell phones or pagers either (they check before you get on the bus). The reason for all this is to prevent party crashers or friends calling their friends who didn't have tickets.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:58 PM
Banned

Here everyone just waits for the afterparty. The bus usually drives you out there (it's a bush party 95% of the time, weather permitting). Usually you can see dads unloading cases of beer and stuff. One guy's dad even unloaded 3 kegs at mine! The price of the afterparty is covered in the main ticket, but for that extra money they hire a 3 or 4 medics/nurses (usually military-in-training) who have a little tent full of gear and a satellite phone ready in case they need to call the ambulance. They stay there all night and make sure nobody gets hurt. The after party is pretty official, but the location stays unannounced. The bus leaves and takes you to the location while the parents stay at the grad until we all leave. Then they announce the location to the parents. You aren't allowed to bring cell phones or pagers either (they check before you get on the bus). The reason for all this is to prevent party crashers or friends calling their friends who didn't have tickets.
That is the weirdest afterparty that I have ever heard of...its school sponsored and chaperoned? I went to the ones where the common thing to do was get drunk, have a good time, and fuck your prom date...:
Old 06-26-2005, 03:26 PM
Suzuka Master

has anyone said wear a tux yet?

wear a tux
pick your date up in a nice car
go and have fun

simple, right?
Old 06-26-2005, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Xenogen
That is the weirdest afterparty that I have ever heard of...its school sponsored and chaperoned? I went to the ones where the common thing to do was get drunk, have a good time, and fuck your prom date...:
Yeah it's school sanctioned (but the only "chaperones" are the medics. They're only there to make sure you don't die. Not to enforce any rules). But you can get as drunk as you want, and your parents don't have to worry about your safety. If necessary, the medics can pump your stomach right there. If you wanna fuck...I think you gotta go find a hidden spot in the bush.

Last edited by youngTL; 06-26-2005 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Chinisimo
has anyone said wear a tux yet?

wear a tux
pick your date up in a nice car
go and have fun

simple, right?
I can't afford a tux right now , I have $110 left, that's it. We're spending some of that on bouttoniers and pocket squares. I get paid the day of (thursday) with $2800, so the actual date I don't have to worry about.

I'm picking my date up in my 1996 Acura 2.5TL.

And we will have fun! I'm excited. I just talked to him today and we're going to pick up our accessories (and a new tie for me) on Tuesday.
Old 06-26-2005, 07:46 PM
Burning Brakes

I dunno man, i got my tux for 80 this year. Looked exactally the same as the $150 tuxes my friends got. Just gotta shop around alittle. I'd check and see if you have a Men's Wearhouse in your area
Old 06-26-2005, 08:45 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

I don't know if I would spend a great portion of his money on a tux. If this guy asked him out, I don't think he really needs to worry about impressing him much further. I wouldn't ask someone to the prom I didn't want to is all I am saying.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:20 PM
Suzuka Master

I think the tux idea is over-rated as it is, especially with the other guy asking him out. You're there just to make him happy, no need to worry about what you look like or what you're wearing.

Go and have as much fun as possible, it is only you two that you need to make happy.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by anothercls
You're there just to make him happy, no need to worry about what you look like or what you're wearing.
Happy yes, but to not worry about what you look like....I dont know, I'd figure you'd want your prom date to make you look good.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:04 PM
Banned

LOL @ ABreece
Old 06-27-2005, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Xenogen
Happy yes, but to not worry about what you look like....I dont know, I'd figure you'd want your prom date to make you look good.
I think I look alright...don't forget my budget is in CDN dollars. I don't think I can get much for $110 (and I can't spend all of it because I need some to buy him a couple drinks).

Unfortunately I had a little accident today though. I tripped on my brother's shoe and fell down the stairs. It very severly bruised my left foot (from the baby toe all the way to the ankle) on the left half of the foot. It hurts a fair bit, but I suspect it will go down. If it doesn't, I'll down some painkillers on Thursday and tough it out (and therefore not drink since painkillers + ethanol = )

My mom isn't too keen on the idea that he's 18, but I said screw it, you and dad are 2 years apart. This is only 3 years for me apart. It's not a huge age gap. I really hope I'm alright by thursday. Thankfully my dress shoes are extremely comfortable. For some reason they're more padded than my athletic shoes
Old 06-27-2005, 08:13 AM
ric
Safety Car

I think I look alright...don't forget my budget is in CDN dollars. I don't think I can get much for $110 (and I can't spend all of it because I need some to buy him a couple drinks).

Unfortunately I had a little accident today though. I tripped on my brother's shoe and fell down the stairs. It very severly bruised my left foot (from the baby toe all the way to the ankle) on the left half of the foot. It hurts a fair bit, but I suspect it will go down. If it doesn't, I'll down some painkillers on Thursday and tough it out (and therefore not drink since painkillers + ethanol = )

My mom isn't too keen on the idea that he's 18, but I said screw it, you and dad are 2 years apart. This is only 3 years for me apart. It's not a huge age gap. I really hope I'm alright by thursday. Thankfully my dress shoes are extremely comfortable. For some reason they're more padded than my athletic shoes
Nothing short of death should keep you from that prom date....... even if you spend half the night limping, adn the other half of it with your ankle propped up with icepacks on it. Ya gotta go, your young campadre is depending upon it.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:09 PM

Well, good news, my foot is better! AND the date is today!! In 7 hours! I'm picking him up in 6 hours. My mom is still all pissy that I'm going and refuses to talk to me much. Oh well. She wouldn't even help me with my hair this morning (and she's a stylist). I don't see what's so wrong about going on a date with someone approximately 3 years younger?

Parents are crazy.

Anyway, I got my expense cheque today for $231.20, and my pay of $2600, so money won't be a problem during the even if we want a little booze hehe. Actually I have a feeling Cam's dad is going to try and get his own son drinking. I met him the other day and he seems like one of "those" dads. Or maybe he's only like that because his son asked another guy to the prom, and he's thinking, "well, it can't get any worse, might as well have fun and throw parenting out the window now"
Old 06-30-2005, 12:30 PM
No longer in denial

Good luck tonight and have fun!
Old 06-30-2005, 12:39 PM
likes it raw

. Or maybe he's only like that because his son asked another guy to the prom, and he's thinking, "well, it can't get any worse, might as well have fun and throw parenting out the window now"

Another question...who stands in back for the picture???
Old 06-30-2005, 12:46 PM
I

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
Good luck man, just don't get too attached to his dad or your date might think you think he's a dilf and might get jealous.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Dude, you are SO FUCKING CUTE. I love you. I want you to be my new gay friend (since my old gay friend turned semi-straight).

Have a BLAST tonight, babe. I love this. I wish I'd seen this thread sooner... but I'm sure you'll be fine.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by JimmyCarter

Another question...who stands in back for the picture???
Me, by default, because it's HIS grad so he takes the primary spot I guess.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Caliadria
Dude, you are SO FUCKING CUTE. I love you. I want you to be my new gay friend (since my old gay friend turned semi-straight).

Have a BLAST tonight, babe. I love this. I wish I'd seen this thread sooner... but I'm sure you'll be fine.

Thanks!!!
I have flexing pictures somewhere in the heath and fitness section
Old 06-30-2005, 06:05 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

:ibethisthreadisworthlessWITHpictures:
Old 06-30-2005, 11:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,150 Posts
:wondersifhehitit:
Old 06-30-2005, 11:31 PM
Homeless

It's not like proms down there. Here we tend to mix the prom with some sort of ceremony. Like it's a huge tradition that your whole family comes, and you get a table, and they serve food, beverages (including alcoholic ones), and dessert. You eat as the ceremony goes on, where they show slideshows and videos compiled by the students of what a fun year it was and highlights of the year. There's usually a couple of speeches, and by the time this is all over, everyone is finished eating. The parents stay at the tables while the kids go off to dance on the dance floor. The school rented the Shaw Conference Centre (a HUGE building for functions) for this. They must make a killing at $50 apiece tickets.
Actually sounds rather interesting...more like a cotillion.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:55 PM
Got Ramen?

hope ur prom ended up
let's see those prom pix of u and ur date!
Old 07-02-2005, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by TypeRS
hope ur prom ended up
let's see those prom pix of u and ur date!
I'm going to try to get them tonight. They're still on his camera. We only have a couple of us on his camera, most of them are on his mom's camera and she lives in Banff (she lives 600km away, and she used a FILM CAMERA! )

I don't get it. His parents are married but the mom lives half a province away!
Oh, and I hit it on the camping night that followed
Old 07-02-2005, 11:40 AM
Pit Stop?

Originally Posted by Caliadria

:ghey:
Old 07-02-2005, 11:41 AM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 07-02-2005, 11:56 AM
I

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Minch00
:ghey:

Old 07-02-2005, 12:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ric
Nothing short of death should keep you from that prom date....... even if you spend half the night limping, adn the other half of it with your ankle propped up with icepacks on it. Ya gotta go, your young campadre is depending upon it.
A friend of mine went to the prom with a cane because she broke her foot a couple days before prom. She just took some streamers and decorated it, it looked pretty classy actually
Old 07-03-2005, 03:01 AM

Oh crap. He forgot his camera today. That means I have to wait until thursday. He lives about a 70 minute drive from my house...

Quick Reply: Asked to a prom