Pitty-Pat's Bonbons

Old 12-24-2009, 09:37 AM
Earth-bound misfit

Received 608 Likes on 312 Posts
Pitty-Pat's Bonbons

1 stick softened butter
1.5-2 boxes confectioner's sugar (1 lb. each)
1 tsp vanilla
1 can Eagle condensed/sweetened milk
1 large bag semi-sweet chocolate chips (I use 2 bags of Ghirardelli - they only come in the smaller size)
8oz sweetened coconut flakes
1 lb. chopped pecans
4 oz. paraffin

In large bowl, cream the butter (don't skimp on time here). Mix in vanilla and condensed milk. Sift in 1st box of powdered sugar slowly, while still mixing. Gradually add in 1/2 of 2nd box. Keep adding until stiff enough to hold shape and roll into balls. Not quite play-dough thick, but close. Mix in pecans and coconut (I had to do this part by hand, as my cheap-o mixer engine was burning up with such thick filling). Chill at least 30 minutes to make handling easier. I'll even stick it in the freezer for 5 minutes, periodically re-chilling.

Use a double boiler to melt chocolate and paraffin. (You can forego the paraffin, but the chocolate won't set as well and may sweat after cooling, so if presentation is important, I'd recommend using it.) The double boiler is very important. If you don't have one, you can improvise with a pyrex bowl over a pot, but be careful not to let the boiling water reach the bowl. Too much heat can ignite the paraffin or cause the chocolate to "seize." Also, cut the block of paraffin into 1/8's or so to melt it faster. Stir the chocolate and paraffin periodically as they're melting.

Roll the filling into balls about 3/4-1 inch diameter, and place on wax paper (very sticky stuff!). Chill in freezer about 5 minutes before dipping in chocolate. Cool on wax paper at room temp.

I keep an assembly line going - rolling about a dozen centers to chill while I dip the previous set. There isn't enough room in most freezers to roll them all out, then chill them. I'll re-chill the whole bowl every 2-3 sets also. That way I'm constantly working with chilled filling, as it gets really messy otherwise. Makes 100 or so.

Bonbon apetit!
Old 12-24-2009, 10:40 AM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Pics?

I actually don't know what a bonbon is. Well, I might if I recognize it by what it is and not by name. Ermm...
Old 12-24-2009, 11:20 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Thanks D-money, I was looking for something to make this winter.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:01 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Received 608 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally Posted by Street Spirit
Pics?

I actually don't know what a bonbon is. Well, I might if I recognize it by what it is and not by name. Ermm...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonbon

I don't have the patience to shoot & upload any of my own today..just finished battling traffic and horrid stressed people at 3, yes THREE different grocery stores just to find the ingredients for dinner tonight. I'm sitting for a minute, then it's time to get cookin'!

They look like the round ones without the pretty drizzles.

Originally Posted by EuRTSX
Thanks D-money, I was looking for something to make this winter.
Set aside plenty of time - it's a project!

Last edited by wndrlst; 12-24-2009 at 01:05 PM.