crap! i just ate some pinkish/red steak

Old 01-03-2005, 10:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i like my steaks bloody, and i eat them often.
just thought id throw taht in
TSX Cman
Old 01-03-2005, 11:04 PM
Racer

i like my steaks bloody, and i eat them often.
just thought id throw taht in
TSX Cman
most times i do too.

hey! since i dont have a grill, I was planning to get a George Foreman because i heard its really good. How good is it for doing steaks? and what else can it do?
u can make really good steaks without a grill, by using a good pan and oven. im a fan of cooking a filet pittsburgh style, which is seared on outside (almost charred) to seal in the juice... i dont think u can do that with a george foreman grill but im sure others will endorse the grill, as each palette is diff.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:18 AM
Keeping emos out of

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SeCsTaC
hey! since i dont have a grill, I was planning to get a George Foreman because i heard its really good. How good is it for doing steaks? and what else can it do?
We have a Foreman grill and love it for grilled burgers and chicken but i wouldn't recommend putting a steak on there. I tried it once and though it came out moist and juicy, i prefer a charcoal grilled one. All this talk of steak and engagement rings reminds me that my anniversary is coming up soon.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:27 AM
ric
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SeCsTaC
The Foreman is a nice grille, but the area is a bit small. I purchased a larger indoor grille with a lid, which allows me to roast/steam veggies as well as sear/cook meats. (I can also put the lid back on after searing a steak so that I minimize the amount of smoke that gets out.....) You can look at the range of these things on Amazon, Williams Sonoma, Chef's, etc and make your own decision. There are a lot of choices for $100 or less

These things can be used for steaks, chicken breasts, ham steaks, pork chops, lamb chops, bacon and a variety of vegitables - anything that you can imagine being sliced into a consistent thickness and cooked. (this is not a rotisserie, and it won't roast a chicken.......). Roasted and grilled veggies were very trendy a few years ago, as the technique was "discovered" - grilling veggies sears the surface and gives it a nice caramelized flavor; it also avoids using a lot of oil. My grille is large enough to start some sliced onions and red peppers, then add a steak on the side, sear the steak and serve........

In addition to all of the wonderful advice on prepping meat elsewhere on this site, I also try dumping about a 1/4 cup of brandy on the steak when the grille is very hot; the congac flames and rapidly sears the surface of the steak. Just do this trick away from your smoke detector....................

Lung Fu Mo Shi's post cuts to the chase for meat - your meat will be as good as the source you bought it from. Cheap meat = crappy taste. If you can, locate a good butcher, or buy from the meat counter at Whole Fields or one of those places............ barring that, get very picky at your local supermarket. No use in stinting $.70/pound to get a cheaper price. In Philly, my wife used to buy at Esposito's, a classic meat market in the Italian Market that also caters to the restaurant trade. I buy at Martin's, a butcher in the Reading Terminal. One of the advantages of these kinds of places is that they will work with you on your "learning curve", you can ask questions and if they're not too busy, they will spend all day talking to you about the various cuts and qualities of meats; those small butchers are staffed by guys that have been cutting meats for 30 years, and know a whole hellofa lot. Those places frequently sell "exotics" as well, including buffalo steak, caribou, ostrich, etc...... all fun to try. The only thing that I would add to Lung Fo's dissertation is that sirloin or flank steak are good for stirfry, the better cuts of meat are too soft to hold up for stirfrying, and will become "mushy".....

And Godwhacker is right - Creuitzfeldt is a disasterous disease, but you either have it prescreened from your food or you die - you can't prep food to kill it off.

Ground beef should be cooked through so that the middle of the burger or meatloaf is at an absolute minimum of 160 degrees and I frankly cook to 170; get a decent meat thermometer rather than rely on feel. In public, never get a rare burger........... medium is ok, but medium well is better, even if it tastes like cardboard. Good reason to avoid fast food places..........
Old 01-04-2005, 07:29 AM
ric
Safety Car

Originally Posted by members78
most times i do too.

u can make really good steaks without a grill, by using a good pan and oven. im a fan of cooking a filet pittsburgh style, which is seared on outside (almost charred) to seal in the juice... i dont think u can do that with a george foreman grill but im sure others will endorse the grill, as each palette is diff.
Pittsburg style got its name when the steelworkers used to take a steak, put it on a small cooking platform and stick it into the blast furnace for about a nanosecond.......... there are some commercial steakhouses (Morgans and Chris's I think) that have mini-blast furnaces for this kind of prep, and it is great. I do your technique sometims, but also through ground peppercorns into the pan; they sear into the flesh and add additional flavor - and I also do the congac trick with a heavy stovetop skillit as well. The heavier the pan, the better the steak - cast iron is the best.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:35 AM
Racer

I do your technique sometims, but also through ground peppercorns into the pan; they sear into the flesh and add additional flavor - and I also do the congac trick with a heavy stovetop skillit as well. The heavier the pan, the better the steak - cast iron is the best.

mm sounds delicious, even in the morning. imma have to try the cognac and peppercorn trick sometime.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:37 AM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by ric
Pittsburg style got its name when the steelworkers used to take a steak, put it on a small cooking platform and stick it into the blast furnace for about a nanosecond.......... there are some commercial steakhouses (Morgans and Chris's I think) that have mini-blast furnaces for this kind of prep, and it is great. I do your technique sometims, but also through ground peppercorns into the pan; they sear into the flesh and add additional flavor - and I also do the congac trick with a heavy stovetop skillit as well. The heavier the pan, the better the steak - cast iron is the best.
I have a 12" cast iron skillet. Nothing beats it for searing heat.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:26 PM
White and Nerdy

Originally Posted by ric
Here in Pittsburgh there is an outstanding steakhouse, ironically called "Pittsburgh Rare" that serves 'em up just like that. Highly recommended if you ever visit the 'Burgh.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:20 AM
Drifting

You eat pussy don't you?? Beef doesn't get yeast infections....you'll be fine.