Chocolate Fondue Recipe

Old 07-17-2006, 04:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chocolate Fondue Recipe

This is a great recipe to impress a chick, guys, and it's really easy to make. I was looking for a good recipe for this and found a bunch that were SORT of right but not quite, so I played around with the quantities last night and came up with the following:

8 oz (1 cup) semisweet chocolate chips
8 oz milk chocolate chips
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
1/3 cup skim milk
(or you can substitute 2/3 cup half and half for the above and it's the same thing)
1/8 cup (roughly 2 TBSP) white sugar
1/4 cup (or more to taste) Frangelico liqueur
Dash of Kahlua

You can use a double boiler or this handy makeshift one: Get a medium-sized saucepan and fill with about 1" of water, boil the water, and place a metal mixing bowl inside the saucepan so that the bottom of the bowl touches the water but NOT the bottom of the saucepan.

Melt the chocolate in the bowl. The best way is to throw all the chips in the bowl and wait until they're shiny, and then start mixing slowly with a wooden spoon. Once the chips are gooey, start slowly adding the cream and milk so the whole solution is creamy. Pour in the Frangelico and Kahlua, and then use the granulated sugar to sweeten the concoction until you like it. If you like it the way it is, you don't need the sugar.

This will stay unhardened forever, but it's best served warm. You can either heat it back up on the stove just before serving, or you can put it in a fondue pot with a little heat.

We used fresh strawberries, banana slices, and mango slices, as well as cubes of angel food cake, to dip. But you can be creative and dip any kinds of fruit that will stick together under the chocolate (I wouldn't suggest oranges or kiwi just because they're so gloopy).

Like I said, this stuff doesn't harden when it cools, so I can see lots of uses for it in the bedroom as well as the dinner table.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:29 PM
Safety Car

O.M.G. I chocolate. I'll have to try this!!!
Old 07-17-2006, 04:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Oh, also, if it does get too thick (if you have it on the fondue pot for more than a couple of hours it does start to thicken) you can thin it back out with more cream. Try no more than a teaspoon at a time. You don't want this to be thin like hot chocolate; it should be more like fudge sauce for ice cream. Actually, this would be a great ice cream topping.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,854 Likes on 14,002 Posts
Thanks for sharing the recipe! Time to print it out and use it next time I'm prepping a nice dinner for the GF.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:37 PM
I'm back, biatch.

I gotta try this.

Can I ditch the sugar and use 16oz of semi-sweet for a more bitter taste? I'm a dark chocolate junky.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Strawberries, chocolate... this has got to be part of a "bring back the 'good eats' forum" plot, ain't it
Old 07-18-2006, 02:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by teg_to_bike
I gotta try this.

Can I ditch the sugar and use 16oz of semi-sweet for a more bitter taste? I'm a dark chocolate junky.
Of course; it's all up to your personal tastes. You can also substitute a different flavor for the Frangelico; lots of the recipes I tried used vanilla or almond extract. I thought the hazelnut in Frangelico made it taste the most chocolatey, though. If you use a flavor extract like vanilla, you'll want to reduce it to 1 tablespoon, rather than 1/4 cup.

One more alteration is to use 16 oz of semisweet chips, and substitute a can of condensed milk for the cream and milk. Condensed milk has less fat than cream, but it's also very sweet so you won't want to use milk chocolate chips or sugar in the recipe if you use it.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
Strawberries, chocolate... this has got to be part of a "bring back the 'good eats' forum" plot, ain't it
Haha, no, I just realized the other day that I make desserts a lot, and I usually never use the recipes I'm given; I have finally gotten good enough at baking to make my own recipes, and I'd like to share the successful ones with SOMEONE. I doubt I'll be getting a cookbook deal any time soon, so you guys are my best bet.

There will be more over the next few weeks as I find my special ones. I have a great recipe for lemon bundt cake and another for sugar cookies that don't need to be refrigerated or rolled out before baking, which is always great.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by teg_to_bike
I gotta try this.

You and me both. Gotta love the health articles that praise that kind.

Sounds tasty! Ill have to try it out