Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

trouble with HD DVD playback...whats HDCP???

Old 01-16-2008, 12:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trouble with HD DVD playback...whats HDCP???

im not sure is this is where i should post so please feel free to move to the correct forum if im mistaken....

last week i bought a Gateway desktop (GM5664) thats supposed to play bluray and hd. After installing the computer i went to play an hd movie and itll play 2 seconds and then itll shut off the "PowerDVD" program and display an error message which read something like"fail to enable HDCP....error 0110".......

if im not mistaken HDCP is to prevent people from copying discs illegally

i went to the store and exchanged it (it was having other problems as well) i got a new one and its doing the same thing. I downloaded all the updates and drivers and i even got gateway and geeksquad take a lok at it with no success.

Has anyone ever had this problem? could it be that i bought a cheapy dynex instead of the monster cable? or maybe it has to do something with the fact that the monitor has a PIP feature?

here is my pc:

gateway GM5664
ati 2400
1TB hard drive

ps it plays regular dvds fine
24" gateway hd monitor
Old 01-16-2008, 01:58 AM
Kang Ho

HDCP is link . Knowing that your hardware need to be HDCP compatible. Hardware like:
- video card
- display
- video connections (dvi & hdmi, component are ok for now)

If one of those 3 does not have HDCP, then your blu-ray movie will not play. What's the specific model on the gateway 24"? It is possible that cable might cause a problem. I would suggestion going to Monoprice for your cables. You dont need to buy Monster Cable. HDCP is just a pain to deal with....

EDIT: Are you using VGA out?

Last edited by SupaRookie; 01-16-2008 at 02:00 AM.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:22 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SupaRookie
HDCP is link . Knowing that your hardware need to be HDCP compatible. Hardware like:
- video card
- display
- video connections (dvi & hdmi, component are ok for now)

If one of those 3 does not have HDCP, then your blu-ray movie will not play. What's the specific model on the gateway 24"? It is possible that cable might cause a problem. I would suggestion going to Monoprice for your cables. You dont need to buy Monster Cable. HDCP is just a pain to deal with....

EDIT: Are you using VGA out?
exactly, if the video card supports direct x 9 or 10 and has DVI(obviously) out, then that side of things should be ok, but in most cases the monitor has to has HDCP, which almost every new half decent 22+ inch monitors have. Also you should be using dvi or hdmi if your video card and monitor support it. There are also sodtware solutions to this, i just dont have the links at my work computer. Also, the PIP is not an issue. I have PIP on my gateway and it works fine.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:37 AM
Kang Ho

Are you referring to AnyDVD where they break the HDCP? lol...