Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

PS4: Gran Turismo Sport

Old 10-12-2017, 04:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,953 Likes on 5,135 Posts

what could it be what could it be????

Old 10-12-2017, 11:34 PM

Received 5,880 Likes on 2,898 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
If they have the 335, you'll know just HOW slow it really is.

I'll lap you by jogging if there is such a mode in GT.
No one can drive as slow as me. No. One.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:17 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
It says Hamilton will be a reference driver. How will that work?
Old 10-13-2017, 11:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,632 Likes on 13,881 Posts
Originally Posted by ttribe
No one can drive as slow as me. No. One.
Not even the guy who can't drive who is pretending to drive.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:22 AM
Team Owner

Wheels are on sale

https://slickdeals.net/f/10652672-t1...sual-price-150

https://slickdeals.net/f/10653156-th...ation-4-and-pc
Old 10-16-2017, 10:57 AM
Senior Moderator

So, fired up the demo just out of curiosity yesterday. Lovely intro but you can't do anything. Can't start up Arcade mode, can't do anything other than move around in some settings screens.

Weird.

Well, at least Amazon shipped my game yesterday. I'll have it tomorrow.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:31 PM
Team Owner

That happened with Star Wars Battlefront when it first came out. I played the free beta and then it was just HDD space.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Doom878
That happened with Star Wars Battlefront when it first came out. I played the free beta and then it was just HDD space.
K...I'll delete the demo then.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:03 AM
Team Owner

This is disappointing

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/...de/?comments=1

On Tuesday, October 17, the long-awaited Gran Turismo Sport arrives for the Playstation 4. This seventh installment of one of the world's best-selling games franchises introduces a number of updates designed for high-end TVs, virtual reality, and e-sports enthusiasts. Although we've had a copy for a few days now, you'll have to wait a few more days to read a proper review.

In large part, that's because Sony's Gran Turismo Sport servers were down for the past few days. Since being connected to those servers is such an integral part of the game, there's very little left to do if you're offline.

But let's not pretend like we weren't warned. In a blog post last month, Sony revealed that "[i]n order to ensure fair racing for all, GT Sport will require an Internet connection for the majority of functionality. This connectivity requirement is to ensure that progress, car availability, and driver ratings are properly maintained at all times."

Now we know what "the majority of functionality" means: everything other than "Arcade" mode. This means you can take part in one-off races against the AI, time trials, "drift trials," split-screen two-player battles, and the limited VR mode. And you'll only have access to cars and racetracks you unlocked while you were online.
Enlarge / If you get this network message, most of Gran Turismo Sport will be inaccessible.
SonyIf the servers are down or your PS4 is not connected to the Internet, no other parts of the game are available and no progress can be saved. (This means you'll lose any in-game credits or level progression earned in Arcade mode.) Obviously, online matches depend on the servers. But so, too, do the rest of the game, stuff that's always been available offline in the past. Campaign mode (the career mode which includes the notorious Gran Turismo driving school) is off limits while offline. Also offline: buying new cars, viewing your garage, editing car liveries, and even the "taking photos of fancy cars in exotic scenery" mode.

The reasoning behind the move is to do with the linkup between Gran Turismo and the FIA, the international organization that runs world motorsport. FIA-recognized e-sports are an integral part of the game, so keeping everyone's saves in the cloud is meant to keep everyone honest and above board. But the move raised eyebrows in the Ars office as offline single-player content in console games is rarely restricted in this manner.

When asked why Polyphony Digital chose to restrict so much usual Gran Turismo content to online-only use, a Sony representative referred us to the September blog post announcing the change. "The local save only contains hardware settings such as monitor resolution/HDR calibration, etc.," the rep added.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:48 AM

Received 5,292 Likes on 3,626 Posts
Old 10-17-2017, 10:22 AM
Team Owner

Reading on reddit that servers are up. Itching to get this game
Old 10-17-2017, 01:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Yeah, I know what I'm doing tonight.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:59 PM

I just need to get a bigger tv, PS4Pro, & GT Sport....
Old 10-17-2017, 08:38 PM
Senior Moderator

So, played the Arcade mode for about 10 minutes...GORGEOUS game.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Check this out:

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/gam...mo-sport-wheel

This is GT Sport's new £650 steering wheel

Thrustmaster TGT offers features specific to Gran Turismo Sport

Mike Channell
17 Oct 2017

Fun as lobbing cars around using a PlayStation controller is, both in games and in real life, if you want to be posting blistering, leaderboard-topping times on GT Sport when it arrives this week, you’ll need a force feedback steering wheel to plug into your PS4. As it happens, Thrustmaster has got you covered. No giggling about the name at the back.

The Thrustmaster TGT is the latest piece of officially licensed sim-racing hardware to arrive for PS4 and it brings with it a few features designed specifically for the latest Gran Turismo. Most notable is the addition of four pleasingly tactile rotary selectors, that allow you to twiddle with your traction control, brake bias and even torque split in the middle of a heated race. This should all be particularly useful in wet weather races, though try not to accidentally slither onto the gravel because you’re busy trying to set a series link timer for Neighbours.

The TGT also features what Thrustmaster is calling Depth Feedback. In practice, it’s like a sub-woofer for your force feedback, not concerned with educating you as to the subtle behaviour of your front tyres and more about shaking your fillings loose when you rasp over a rumble strip.

Beyond the new stuff it’s a solid piece of hardware, with a pleasing silver trim reminiscent of an Audi R8 steering wheel and some of the strongest force feedback we’ve felt from a consumer-grade setup. A few laps of the Nordschleife at the default settings and you’ll have forearms like Popeye.

While the wheel is compatible with other racing games like Assetto Corsa, Dirt 4 and Project CARS 2, plus your PC if you have one, the rotary dials and Depth Feedback systems only kick in when you’re playing GT Sport. Otherwise, via a mode select switch on the base, the functionality is similar to Thrustmaster’s already excellent T300RS GT Edition with which it shares a pedal set.

With the TGT commanding a £300 premium over the older wheel, it’s probably reserved for those properly committing to carving out a virtual racing career on GT Sport, but if that’s your intention then those rotary switches especially are likely to convey a genuine competitive edge. If you’ve got the cash and the upper body strength to spare, it’s absolutely the best force feedback wheel available for the PS4. Time to hit the gym, then…

The following users liked this post:
Doom878 (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 07:10 AM
Team Owner

Hah is the turbo the power adder (charger)
Old 10-18-2017, 10:55 AM
Team Owner

Redbox carries this. Gotta rent it
Old 10-18-2017, 04:08 PM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,006 Likes on 1,514 Posts
I know this would never happen but ... Gran Turismo franchise on PC would be absolutely tits.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:05 AM
Team Owner

Ok I rented this over the weekend. I will say I was sad to return it but this is NOT your typical Gran Turismo game. The only 2 HUUUUUUUUUUUGE drawbacks for me were the online only functionality and the content in the game. Friday night there was scheduled server maintenance and the game basically shuts everything down except for arcade mode as mentioned. Luckily you CAN use your garage cars but there's only like 10 arcade cars to start with so don't invite any friends over until you build up the garage.

As for content, like I said arcade mode is really trimmed down. Less tracks too and no High Speed Ring, Trial Mountain, etc. I didn't really play 5 or 6 so I don't know if these tracks are new but I did recognize the Tokyo highway track that's unlocked later on and of course Nurburgring is lurking but you need to get to level 20. It's not hard leveling up as long as you put time into the game. I returned it at like 13 or 14 I think. I played probably 10 hours total over 3 days. Ok but the deal killer for me is there outside of licenses, time trial sections, and circuit mastery there are NO local tournaments. All the tournaments can only be done online, vs humans, with Playstation Plus. I hunted everywhere on the home page, I checked the reddit, nothing. No Clubman Cup, Sunday Cup, Miata Cup, etc. So I was either competing on Arcade Mode or knocking out tests. I don't game enough to warrant $60/yr for PS+, maybe others do but whatever. At least there's local 2 player splitscreen that even my 9 year old daughter enjoyed.

Ok the game looks amazing. I have an OLED so the HDR looks great even with a normal PS4. Unfortunately you need a Pro to have HDR with 4K but I don't think I'd notice that. The Scapes mode is and I'm not even a photography guy. The good thing about few cars is that most of your cars are badass. Started with an STI that handled great. Had a GT3 RS, C7R, Dodge Vision that was stupid fast but I couldn't tame it. Each license test and time trial has a video that you can watch while the track loads. The car sounds great as stated. The GTR in one of the license tests sounded like sex. I can't wait for the new features and DLC that they eventually release. I'll probably get this when it's $20. Maybe I should check out Project Cars 2?
Old 10-23-2017, 09:12 AM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
It has been stated for months that the game won't have a career mode. If PD had to put 500+ cars, 30+ tracks and lots of offline contents into the game, it wouldn't have met the targeted release date for sure.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Ok I rented this over the weekend. I will say I was sad to return it but this is NOT your typical Gran Turismo game. The only 2 HUUUUUUUUUUUGE drawbacks for me were the online only functionality and the content in the game. Friday night there was scheduled server maintenance and the game basically shuts everything down except for arcade mode as mentioned. Luckily you CAN use your garage cars but there's only like 10 arcade cars to start with so don't invite any friends over until you build up the garage.

As for content, like I said arcade mode is really trimmed down. Less tracks too and no High Speed Ring, Trial Mountain, etc. I didn't really play 5 or 6 so I don't know if these tracks are new but I did recognize the Tokyo highway track that's unlocked later on and of course Nurburgring is lurking but you need to get to level 20. It's not hard leveling up as long as you put time into the game. I returned it at like 13 or 14 I think. I played probably 10 hours total over 3 days. Ok but the deal killer for me is there outside of licenses, time trial sections, and circuit mastery there are NO local tournaments. All the tournaments can only be done online, vs humans, with Playstation Plus. I hunted everywhere on the home page, I checked the reddit, nothing. No Clubman Cup, Sunday Cup, Miata Cup, etc. So I was either competing on Arcade Mode or knocking out tests. I don't game enough to warrant $60/yr for PS+, maybe others do but whatever. At least there's local 2 player splitscreen that even my 9 year old daughter enjoyed.

Ok the game looks amazing. I have an OLED so the HDR looks great even with a normal PS4. Unfortunately you need a Pro to have HDR with 4K but I don't think I'd notice that. The Scapes mode is and I'm not even a photography guy. The good thing about few cars is that most of your cars are badass. Started with an STI that handled great. Had a GT3 RS, C7R, Dodge Vision that was stupid fast but I couldn't tame it. Each license test and time trial has a video that you can watch while the track loads. The car sounds great as stated. The GTR in one of the license tests sounded like sex. I can't wait for the new features and DLC that they eventually release. I'll probably get this when it's $20. Maybe I should check out Project Cars 2?
thanks for the review - ugh I could NOT do any license tests at this juncture. will have to figure that out.

and you made it seem like you could not race the AI locally. Maybe you just didn't find that mode? This is good enough for me, if I wanna jump in and do a race quickly without having to deal with online... From the link above:
Now we know what "the majority of functionality" means: everything other than "Arcade" mode. This means you can take part in one-off races against the AI, time trials, "drift trials," split-screen two-player battles, and the limited VR mode. And you'll only have access to cars and racetracks you unlocked while you were online.
also I'm ok with it requiring an internet connection, aside from when a server is down but eh. The link also mentions the big benefit to that model, that all your stuff is saved online so if there are future games and such it'll all be preserved in that manner.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Doomie's comments are generally spot on...this is NOT the GT we grew up on.

Arcade Mode is alot more limited and yeah, if you have a server maintenance, you can race the AI but can't use any of your cars. And Friday was a PiTA as it went offline as I was in the middle of taking my driving tests. Still making my way through that...so, THAT is a bit akin to past GT games.

But, yeah...the lack of races we know is going to take getting used to. The graphics are just stunning...still picking up my jaw at times with playing it although, the rally races are NOT as clean-looking IMO. Sound is good.

Anyone have the Peugeot FAP like me but has 2 versions of it with one you cannot drive because it has a license problem?

I'd say this is a bug.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:05 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MSZ
It has been stated for months that the game won't have a career mode. If PD had to put 500+ cars, 30+ tracks and lots of offline contents into the game, it wouldn't have met the targeted release date for sure.
Thought I had read differently about career mode but it is what it is.

Originally Posted by srika
thanks for the review - ugh I could NOT do any license tests at this juncture. will have to figure that out.

and you made it seem like you could not race the AI locally. Maybe you just didn't find that mode? This is good enough for me, if I wanna jump in and do a race quickly without having to deal with online... From the link above:

also I'm ok with it requiring an internet connection, aside from when a server is down but eh. The link also mentions the big benefit to that model, that all your stuff is saved online so if there are future games and such it'll all be preserved in that manner.
When I was offline, the only racing option I had was Arcade mode. I believe that is the only local AI racing there is. The Challenges have AI also where you need to pass them too.

Originally Posted by Yumcha
Doomie's comments are generally spot on...this is NOT the GT we grew up on.

Arcade Mode is alot more limited and yeah, if you have a server maintenance, you can race the AI but can't use any of your cars. And Friday was a PiTA as it went offline as I was in the middle of taking my driving tests. Still making my way through that...so, THAT is a bit akin to past GT games.

But, yeah...the lack of races we know is going to take getting used to. The graphics are just stunning...still picking up my jaw at times with playing it although, the rally races are NOT as clean-looking IMO. Sound is good.

Anyone have the Peugeot FAP like me but has 2 versions of it with one you cannot drive because it has a license problem?

I'd say this is a bug.
You didn't like the sound that much? I have a sound bar and sub and it sounds pretty good IMO
Old 10-23-2017, 11:19 AM
Senior Moderator

^ I said the sound is good, sir.

Mind you, I'm usually playing it with headphones on as Little Cha is in bed when I'm gaming...but, it sounds great on the Sony earmuffs I bought.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:23 AM
Senior Moderator

got it . now I have to figure out my next course(s) of action I would like it with 4K but a) don't have PS4 Pro and b) no 4K TV and oh yeah c) no game.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:43 PM
Team Owner

Black Friday is coming up. I've seen 65" OLED's for like $2300 online shipped. Pro deals will start trickling in the next few weeks.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:50 PM
MSZ
Lola

4K TV is a must.

Gaming and UHD-BD aside, the built-in upscaler chips in current TVs are so damn good these days, even normal 1080p stuff look like true 4K on these TVs, the performance easily put those thousand dollars standalone upscalers to shame.
​​​
Last but not least, there are a lot of free 4K HDR material to watch on youtube.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:31 PM
Team Owner

^Hopefully said TV allows streaming in 4k or else you have to invest in a Chromecast Ultra
Old 10-23-2017, 02:27 PM
MSZ
Lola

^Hopefully said TV allows streaming in 4k or else you have to invest in a Chromecast Ultra
My Sony X900E does. It has a built-in Android TV 7.0

It has to be wired for full speed though, the wifi receiver is quite slow.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:49 PM

Like the graphics. Content, I'm pretty disappointed. GT6 was better in that area.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:14 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,064 Likes on 764 Posts
I hope that Sport becomes a failure so that GT7 will be made.
Costco (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 06:48 AM
Team Owner

Either way, it'll take wayyy more time to make GT7 unless they have a mega DLC pack coming in the next 6 mos.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:38 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,064 Likes on 764 Posts
Either way, it'll take wayyy more time to make GT7 unless they have a mega DLC pack coming in the next 6 mos.
I'm patient, I can wait for years. We all waited for GT6.
I hate the DLC business model. Unfortunately, that's where this industry is heading towards.

There are no compelling games on the consoles these days. I may very well wait for a few years until GT Sport Ultimate Edition comes out with all DLC included in the game and a proper single player career mode.
00TL-P3.2 (10-25-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 06:55 AM
Team Owner

Supposedly GT Sport DLC is free but who knows. I still have my ps3 so I'm going to pick up GT6 digitally since I got the racing bug again.

About compelling games, ehh not really true. It's not all first person shooters and Madden. Believe me, I avoid those. If you're a casual gamer there are excellent action games with a great amount of story. Or if you're hardcore you could always play Bloodborne but you might increase your blood pressure
Old 11-09-2017, 08:44 AM

Honda: Vision Gran Turismo News

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/gam...looks-baby-nsx

Lightweight, 400bhp videogame concept could be the sports car you really need

OK Honda, we get it. You’re good – very good – at designing and building rather excellent concepts. This is the latest, though it comes with a hefty caveat: it’s built for a videogame.

Gran Turismo, to be precise. It is in fact, the Honda Sports Vision Gran Turismo, built for Kazunori-san’s seminal driving simulator. So, while one full-scale model actually exists, you’ll only ever drive it digitally.

The theme here is ‘human centred design’, which is quite weird for a car that no human will ever sit in, but those are but mere details when the design does indeed look fantastic. All squat, futuristic lines, like a shrunken NSX.

We’re told that in theory, the car utilises much carbon fibre to keep the bodyweight down to an impossible 899kg. A full 100kg lighter than – if you cast your mind back – Lamborghini’s Sesto Elemento concept, itself deploying much CF.

Into this carbon fibre mix slots a 2.0-litre, four-cylinder turbo engine with VTEC, mounted in the middle and churning out a very healthy 404bhp at 7,500rpm. No electric assistance, no hybrid gubbins, just a hot 2.0-litre motor driving through an eight-speed dual clutch ‘box to, we guess, the rear wheels.

Sounds like the very best recipe for a small, punchy sports car, no? The full scale model (a quarter scale one was built first) was also put through the wind tunnel – just like a real car, papa! – to fully hone the aero. This, says Honda, means the Sports Vision GT boasts optimum airflow around and out of the body, the underfloor and cabin/engine.

So, we get it Honda, you’re good at this. Now please make one for real.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:44 AM

Old 11-09-2017, 10:09 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
2nd gen Honda CR-Z?
Old 12-20-2017, 10:45 AM
Team Owner

Anyone try the new update where the Clubman races and stuff were added?
Old 01-10-2018, 01:29 PM

Anyone try the new update where the Clubman races and stuff were added?
Yes. The addition of the League Races have dramatically improved the playability of the game, IMO.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:04 PM
Team Owner

Suite. I just need to wait for the price drop.

Quick Reply: PS4: Gran Turismo Sport