Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

PS3, PS2, PSP: MLB 10 - The Show

Old 03-23-2010, 07:39 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
PS3, PS2, PSP: MLB 10 - The Show

Didn't see a thread for this game yet. Any impressions so far?

I had both 08 and 09, and found 09 to be a bit harder and a little less enjoyable. However, I'm a sucker for a baseball sim and I think I'll be grabbing this one as well.

Especially with HRD added!
Old 04-05-2010, 06:02 AM
Banned

Picked it up on Saturday, and it's pretty good so far. Really, I mainly get into RTTS mode and ignore most else.

They've incorporated the Jose Canseco strategy, you can buy 1000xp for $.99 to help your player along.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:09 AM
Banned

Single-handedly keeping this thread going...

I'm to about mid-July in my first year of RTTS. The added minor league stadiums are nice, but we're not there yet. I don't know if it's licensing issues, but we need more of them, and they need to get the real ones. I know they at least made a passable effort at modeling the Durham Bulls stadium, but it's ridiculous that the Gwinnett Braves (suburban Atlanta) plays in the Rocky Mountains. I mean, come on.

I got called up to AAA after ~145 at bats at AA. .369/3/30. Then I started absolutely SUCKING at AAA. Even buying points hasn't really helped. I dipped down to about .147 at one point. Now through about the same number of ABs, I have a .240/1/10 line. I think I may have gotten called up too early (injury to a pitcher - I'm a 3B. That doesn't make any sense). The CPU does a really good job at knowing your weaknesses and exploiting them. Like to chase fastballs? You'll see those for the whole series. Hope you like strikeouts.

Anyway, a pretty big glitch I've seen - Hit & Run. If you're on first and that sign is given, it's a no-win situation. If you aren't fast enough (and I'm not, yet) and the batter doesn't hit it (he almost never does), you get called out at second and get absolutely bitched at, like you decided to take off on your own. This happens one or two times, you get benched for a few games. Three or more times, you lose your starting spot (which is what happened to me). It's stupid, and hasn't been fixed yet. You get penalized less for not going.

Batting practice is kinda useless, as it's just meatballs and (so far) offers no appreciable benefit to doing it. Unless you just like to show off, I suppose.

I see no avenue for recouping points that you've bought if you decide to redo RTTS with another character. I haven't tried it yet, but I assume those points are lost. You get 1000 XP for .99, and you can buy in-game. Very clever.

That's my update thus far. I still really like the game. Even though my average sucked and I lost my starting 3B job, I still got picked to start in the Futures game and got a trophy. That was kinda cool. I also had to start a game as a catcher once. Unfortunately, you are responsible for actually calling the game, like a real catcher does. That took forever, and it's the last time I had C/1B as my alternate position.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:54 AM
Banned

Me and The Show - part 4

The last update was from about the All-Star break in 2010. This update is mid-September 2011.

The hit and run and steal glitch is still in effect. You still get punished less for not going. Hitting still sucks the first few weeks after getting to a new level (will hit on that in a bit).

So after my last post, I never regained my starting job at 3B for the AAA team. I eventually got demoted back to AA, and was the backup 3B there for the rest of the season. I hit a grand slam in a 1st round playoff game, but that was about the highlight for the rest of that season as we lost in the first round (and indeed, blew a six run lead that game I hit the GS). I think me fudging around with sliders and settings has screwed up the pitching difficulty for the CPU for my own team.

Next season, I accepted a contract for the AAA backup 3B job. No spring training, which is a change this year. To go to ST, you have to be on the 40-man roster, something that wasn't the case the previous two years (MLB 08, MLB 09). I quickly won the starting job after posting very good numbers. I got demoted to backup a couple of times due to that stupid steal glitch. So I used a ton of XP to bump up my speed numbers, and it hasn't happened since.

I again made the Futures game, and had an RBI double in three ABs.

Got my cup of coffee in late August due to an injury to (I think) the starting 3B (Chipper went to St. Louis, and Infante got injured). Started off horribly, dipping to about .170 at one point. But I've remained the starter at 3B and now I'm hitting .304/0/6 after about three weeks. Not stellar numbers, especially on the power side, but I've noticed the power numbers really don't seem to be there on any level. I can absolutely tattoo the ball in BP, but I'm lucky to find a gap in a game. Oh well, hopefully that will come. Unfortunately, none of the numbers I want (uniform) seem to be available. At least they changed it last year where you could change numbers without starting your character over again. I think I did that about four times with '08. Strikeouts are still a big concern, as is chasing.

Addicting game, and so far very worth the $60 I spent on it (well, I put about $12 in XP points, too).

Numbers so far: (I'll have to check these for accuracy)
2010:
-AA .367/5/42
-AAA .265/2/17

2011:
-AAA .325/12/50
-MLB: .304/0/6
Old 04-21-2010, 09:09 AM
Matt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to purchase this next week. I rented it a while back, and got addicted to the RTTS. I want to start a pitcher when I have more time to play.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:57 AM
Banned

Finished up the 2011 season. Hit .302/3/~20, and got a four-year contract to be the starter.

Felt so good hitting my first HR...it was an ITP at Minute Maid, the CF dived for the ball and didn't get it. Then I smacked one waaaay up off the wall in the next game. Finally hit one at home, too.

Missed the playoffs, but now that I'm in the starting lineup, we'll get that fixed.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:56 AM
Banned

I don't know if it's a glitch, a setting, or my fault but...

When the fuck did Atlanta pitching get so horrible?

It's the end of May, 2012. I'm hitting .348/6/21. I'm on track to be ROY, and I'm in the mix to go to the ASG.

But we're 10 GB, and last place. Our pitching gives up 10 runs/game to the 25-30 ranked offenses regularly. I have no idea what's going on. Game is still fun, and very addicting though. I'm going to hang on to this year's version and see if I can make the HOF and what kind of career numbers I have.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:55 AM
Banned

Another update, hope no one is getting bored with this.

I'm currently beginning the 2013 season.

2012 was a season mostly filled with disappointment. After hitting .360 briefly in the season, I settled in with a .326/.545/.360 slash line, with 21HR and 62 RBI. I had a terrible September, and thus lost out on both the Silver Slugger and ROY awards. Did manage a Gold Glove. Not bad for a rookie season. No ASG, or postseason, as the Braves finished in last place with a ~.413 winning percentage. I don't remember the exact record, but we were at least 22 games under .500.

Simmed all of the following preseason, aside from the last game to get some in-game swings going. The season didn't start that great, and I was hitting .167 for the first week while we went 1-5. Things turned around with the following week, though, and we're near .500 and doing much better than the start to 2012. I also seem to have turned the corner, and I'm hitting .387/4/8 on this young season. The power wasn't there, and neither was the average until my last game at Minute Maid Park last night.

My night:
1st inning - HR to the RF alley.
3rd inning - infield hit to short
5th inning - 2-run HR to deep LF alley
7th inning - bloop single to RF
9th inning - 2-run HR to deep LF (I hit the Darryl Kile sign)

5-5, 3HR, 5 RBI, 5 runs

Have a damn day!
Old 05-10-2010, 08:17 AM
Banned

Continuing to post-whore it up...

At the end of May, 2013. I hit 21 HRs last year, and I'm at 20 so far this year. Powwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwerrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

Think I'm hitting .380/.396/.800. Lead the league in AVG, Hits, HR, RBI, SLUG, OPS, and third in triples. Team still sucks, though. Should be going to the ASG, and hopefully HRD.

I love this game. Steals are hard as fuck, though. I'm rated A, with 94 on my speed, but I get caught almost every single time.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:06 AM
Banned

Unfortunately, I have to say something bad about the game. Or, the glitches and weird decision-making.

Steals are still impossible, and apparently it's a game-wide glitch from a quick Google search. Which is so frustrating because...

I was hitting .389 with 27HR and 81RBI. I was leading the league in AVG, Hits, HR, RBI, SLUG, and OPS. Yet I don't get an invitation to the ASG or HRD because they made some no-name schmuck be ahead in the voting. Nothing. So fucking pissed. I bet if I was able to steal a base more than once in a blue moon, I'd have gone. Fuck you, assholes.

Currently pulling a .387/.799/.399 clip, with 30HR and 89RBI @ July 10th. And the team has turned it around a bit, and we're 2.5 games out of the WC. Hopefully a postseason run will make me less pissed.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:07 AM
Banned

2013 was a great year.

I hit .365, with 49HR and 128RBI. I led the league in AVG, HR, Hits, RBI, SLUG, OPS. I won the MVP, Silver Slugger and Hank Aaron awards.

We had a late season surge and captured the wild card. Beat the Reds in four, the Phillies in five and beat those sorry-ass Yankees in six to win the World Series. With my impressive .411/3/12 clip in the Series, and a .380/7/25 postseason, I also brought home World Series and Postseason MVP honors.

And that will most likely conclude my MLB diary. It's a fun game if you can get over the little things. And they said they are done fixing things, so we'll just have to live with them I suppose.

I did learn a decent trick for stealing a few more bases. Take at least one step further of lead (R1), then lean (hold R1) while pressing the L3 stick left. This will automatically send your runner back to the base if the pitcher throws over. You can either time your jump by yourself, or zoom in to the catcher to see when he shifts his stance. That will give you the tiniest of head starts.

I've never been picked off this way, but it's only increased my success rate minimally. But it helps.

Perhaps when I get some career milestones I'll report back.