Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

PS3 Price range announced...

Old 11-27-2005, 07:27 PM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
PS3 Price range announced...

Im surprised this hasnt been posted (It probably is, but my search skills suck)

Here it is:

NEW YORK (FORTUNE) - More than 90 million PlayStation 2 consoles have been sold worldwide since the PS2's debut in 2000, compared with some 25 million Microsoft Xboxes sold since 2001. Even if the new Xbox 360 is a rousing success, Sony's dominance of the console universe is likely to continue, and there's a powerful new PlayStation coming next year.

The PS3, scheduled to be introduced in Japan in mid-2006 and in the U.S. a few months later, is expected to be technically more advanced than the Xbox 360 in many ways. Notably, it will include a high-definition DVD player intended to capitalize on the growing market for HDTV sets, which, of course, Sony also makes. (The Xbox 360 supports HD games, but it lacks the ability to play next-generation, prerecorded HD movies.)

Sony's CEO, Sir Howard Stringer, said recently that Sony will sell the PS3 at a loss in order to populate the world with Sony's favored high-definition DVD standard, known as Blu-ray. If millions of Blu-ray PlayStations find their way into living rooms, Sony figures, movie studios will be compelled to embrace it over the rival standard, known as HD-DVD. Yes, brace yourself for another Betamax vs. VHS standards war.

Sir Howard said the PS3 will sell for $300 to $400 and will come with a bundle of games, movies, and TV shows, many of which Sony also makes. The question is whether the titles will be bundled on Blu-ray DVD discs or on a built-in hard drive.

Because the first standalone Blu-ray DVD players are expected to cost $1,000 or so, Sony is essentially giving a free next-generation DVD player to every PS3 customer. That eases the pain (a little bit) for people faced with buying new, high-def versions of their favorite DVDs.

Of course, nothing is stopping Microsoft from adding a high-definition DVD player to the Xbox down the road, once the standards battle has been resolved.

How else does the PS3 stack up against the Xbox 360? It's based on a bodaciously powerful Cell processor developed by IBM and Toshiba, which appears to outmuscle the IBM PowerPC custom chip used in Microsoft's Xbox 360. Sony has also tapped nVidia to supply the graphics engine in the PS3, and it's going to be a whopper, with nearly double the rendering power of the top graphics card that nVidia now supplies to PC gaming enthusiasts. Again, on specs alone, the PS3 should have a graphics edge over the ATI-based Xbox 360.

Fancy hardware doesn't mean anything, though, if the people who write the games for the hardware can't take advantage of it. (Exhibit A: The PlayStation 2 is technically inferior to the original Xbox, but it's still the world's most popular gaming platform based on the selection of compelling game titles.)

At its launch the PS3 will be backward compatible with thousands of earlier PlayStation titles. But Microsoft knows software, and game developers are praising it for providing them the tools and support to build new titles for the Xbox 360.

So should you wait a year for the PS3 or buy the Xbox 360 today? Current Xbox owners are likely to upgrade to the 360, and current PS2 owners will probably stick with Sony. New gamers, however, have little reason to wait nearly a year for the PS3, and Microsoft is almost certain to gain some ground on Sony.

The one wild card: Sony could slash the price of the current PS2, perhaps to $100, making the $400 Xbox 360 seem less attractive.

http://ps3updates.qj.net/2005/11/ps3....html#comments

If this price range holds true, that would be pretty good, not for Sony as they are seeing a loss for every PS3 sold...
Old 11-27-2005, 07:33 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,917 Likes on 2,617 Posts
loss my ass. they are still making money.

as for games. i never loved the games on PS enough to own one. never used my modded 1st gen ps, never bought a ps2, and returned the psp after an hour.

just my personal tastes.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:40 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,233 Likes on 823 Posts
Enough of these pissing contest threads already.....PS3 will be far superior to anything MS puts out and I will get one....End of story.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:56 PM
That was uncalled for...

I only posted it because of the price range part
Old 11-27-2005, 07:57 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,917 Likes on 2,617 Posts
indeed, i dont see this as a pissing contest thread at all. shut up whiskers.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:59 PM
To punish and enslave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm getting a PS3 too, and I'm saving up to $500 just in case.... no wait, make it $600. Games' prices are going up too.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,792 Likes on 13,976 Posts
I believe this am a ...

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...4&page=1&pp=25
Old 11-27-2005, 08:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,792 Likes on 13,976 Posts
More specifically, this great post by this Yumchah dude: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ng#post4527165
Old 11-27-2005, 08:05 PM
That was uncalled for...

Who wants to sift through that huge thread to find the price when its clearly posted right here ...

j/k...Mods, its up to you...
Old 11-27-2005, 08:06 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,233 Likes on 823 Posts
Originally Posted by The Sarlacc
indeed, i dont see this as a pissing contest thread at all. shut up whiskers.
Oh, it will be....
Old 11-27-2005, 08:07 PM
That was uncalled for...

Only if we are comparing price ranges...This thread was not intended for hardware/software discussion, price's only...
Old 11-27-2005, 09:31 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
srika if you are reading this, just lock this up. We don't need another 360 vs PS3 thread.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Howard Stringer was mis-quoted. The price is not known at this point in time. This Fortune article was based off a CNN interview which CNN later corrected.

Here is the correction:

Correction: An earlier version of this story appeared with statements erroneously attributed to Sir Howard Stringer, CEO of Sony Corporation, regarding pricing and availability of the PS3. Stringer has not commented publicly on how much the PS3 is expected to cost, or how soon it will appear in the US after the Japanese launch in spring 2006.
http://money.cnn.com/2005/11/21/tech...ortune_112805/
Old 11-27-2005, 09:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Enough of these pissing contest threads already.....PS3 will be far superior to anything MS puts out and I will get one....End of story.
If you say so, I guess MS should just give up.

Come on now. Your statement above is just silly. Both systems are great in their own ways (MS has a far superior online service) while Sony has more developer support, etc...
Old 11-27-2005, 10:14 PM
Race Director

I've already sold my PS2 in anticipation of the PS3 purchase which for me is a given.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:19 PM
That was uncalled for...

Originally Posted by cusdaddy
Howard Stringer was mis-quoted. The price is not known at this point in time. This Fortune article was based off a CNN interview which CNN later corrected.

Here is the correction:

Interesting...So I guess they pulled all the info from the article I posted out of theire asses instead of it being real facts?
Old 11-27-2005, 10:20 PM
Master in Science

I was considering getting a XBOX 360, but I heard it has bugs. That's enough of a show stopper for me. The Sony unit seems nice, esp with an HD DVD player. I want one!!!
Old 11-27-2005, 10:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by S A CHO
Interesting...So I guess they pulled all the info from the article I posted out of theire asses instead of it being real facts?

This is quoted in the Fortune article:

Sir Howard said the PS3 will sell for $300 to $400 and will come with a bundle of games, movies, and TV shows, many of which Sony also makes. The question is whether the titles will be bundled on Blu-ray DVD discs or on a built-in hard drive.
If you read the CNN correction, Sir Howard Stringer never said anything about the cost of the PS3 up to this point in time. This information was passed around the internet originally from the CNN article, but CNN has since corrected which I posted the link and this quote

Stringer has not commented publicly on how much the PS3 is expected to cost
No information on the price has been released at this point in time. I expect it will cost similar to the 360, but all information up to this point in time is pure speculation.

Lastly, that Forutune article is full of so many inaccurcies I'm not even going to bother pulling it apart. Just realize, when is the last time you read Fortune for electronics facts?
Old 11-27-2005, 10:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by slo007
I was considering getting a XBOX 360, but I heard it has bugs. That's enough of a show stopper for me. The Sony unit seems nice, esp with an HD DVD player. I want one!!!
MS listed a less than 1% defect rate in the 360's. The system runs hot and some people are placing their systems in areas that are not well ventilated which causes the system to go into a sleep state to protect itself.

All electronics have a certain defect rate. It's nothing unique to the 360. The PS3 will have the same issues.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,343 Likes on 5,254 Posts
thx for the clarifications and corrections, cusdaddy.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:36 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,119 Likes on 803 Posts
It is hard to believe any article that contains the word "bodaciously"

Do people really talk like that these days?
Old 11-28-2005, 10:43 AM
Pit Stop?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by F-C
It is hard to believe any article that contains the word "bodaciously"

Do people really talk like that these days?

Old 11-28-2005, 12:05 PM
Senior Moderator

ok, it actually is not a hoax. it's very surprising to me though, the way it is written with a slant towards Playstation..

Old 11-28-2005, 12:11 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^ ok reading through this article... it has been doctored above. the original article does not use the word "bodaciously" and also contains other differences.

also note the "Correction" at the bottom of the article... the author probably got barraged with e-mails after writing this.

NEW YORK (FORTUNE) - More than 96 million PlayStation 2 consoles have been sold worldwide since the PS2's debut in 2000, compared with some 25 million Microsoft Xboxes sold since 2001. Even if the new Xbox 360 is a rousing success, as it appears to be, Sony's dominance of the console universe is likely to continue, and there's a powerful new PlayStation coming next year.

The PS3 is scheduled to be introduced in the spring of 2006; unlike in previous launches, Sony has not said anything about a Japanese debut followed later by US and European rollouts. The new box will definitely include a high-definition DVD player intended to capitalize on the growing market for HDTV sets, which, of course, Sony also makes. (The Xbox 360 supports HD games, but it lacks the ability to play next-generation, prerecorded HD movies.)

Sony favors a next-generation high-definition DVD standard known as Blu-ray. If millions of Blu-ray PS3s find their way into living rooms, Sony figures, movie studios will be compelled to embrace it over the rival standard, known as HD-DVD. (See correction) Double-layer Blu-ray discs can hold approximately 50 gigabytes of data, more than enough for high-definition movies and games at video resolutions up to 1,080p (1,080 lines scanned progressively, the highest resolution in the current HD specifications). Double-layer HD-DVD discs can hold about 30GB of data. Yes, brace yourself for another Betamax vs. VHS standards war.

If history is a guide, the first standalone Blu-ray DVD players are likely to cost $1,000 or so, which raises the obvious question: How much will the new PS3 cost? Sony is not saying, although in July Ken Kutaragi, president and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment, told a group of game developers in Japan that the PS3 will be "expensive." Kutaragi has also said that the PS3 is not just a gaming console, but rather more of a high-definition household digital media hub.

Of course, nothing is stopping Microsoft from adding a high-definition DVD player to the Xbox down the road, once the standards battle has been resolved. But for now, it is reasonable to expect that the PS3 will cost significantly more than the Xbox 360 (currently $299 for the basic system, $399 for a premium bundle that includes a hard disk drive), especially if Sony includes not just the Blu-ray DVD-ROM but also a detachable, 2.5-inch hard disk drive. Sony has not said whether the HDD is standard or optional.

It is standard strategy for Microsoft and Sony to sell the game consoles at a loss, hoping to earn money on sales and licensing fees for game titles, but Sony's appetite for subsidizing the PS3 is not known.

How else does the PS3 stack up against the Xbox 360? It's based on a powerful Cell processor developed by IBM along with Sony and Toshiba. Although Sony describes the Cell as delivering 2 teraflops of processing power, which approaches supercomputer levels, actual comparisons with the IBM PowerPC custom chip used in Microsoft's Xbox 360 will have to wait.

Sony has also tapped nVidia to supply the graphics engine in the PS3. On specs alone, the PS3 should have a graphics edge over the ATI-based Xbox 360, according to game developers with whom we spoke.

Fancy hardware doesn't mean anything, though, if the people who write the games for the hardware can't take advantage of it. (Exhibit A: The PlayStation 2 is technically inferior to the original Xbox, but it's still the world's most popular gaming platform based on the selection of compelling game titles.)

At its launch the PS3 will be backward compatible with thousands of earlier PlayStation titles. The Xbox 360 launched this week with 18, a number that is expected to swell into the low hundreds next year, partly with the inclusion of older Xbox games that have been reprogrammed for the 360. Although Sony has a big edge in the number of existing game titles, Microsoft is at its heart a software company, and game developers are praising it for providing them the tools and support to build new titles for the Xbox 360.

So should you wait a year for the PS3 or buy the Xbox 360 today? Current Xbox owners are likely to upgrade to the 360, and current PS2 owners will probably stick with Sony, unless it is wildly more expensive. New gamers, however, have little reason to wait nearly a year for the PS3, and Microsoft is almost certain to gain some ground on Sony.

The one wild card: Sony could slash the price of the PS2, currently $150, perhaps to $100, making the $400 Xbox 360 seem less attractive. Sony says it has no immediate plans to lower pricing for either the PS2 or the PSP, but after the holidays, who knows?

Strike, counterstrike: It's all playing out like a good videogame. Only in this game, billions of dollars are at stake.

Correction: An earlier version of this story appeared with statements erroneously attributed to Sir Howard Stringer, CEO of Sony Corporation, regarding pricing and availability of the PS3. Stringer has not commented publicly on how much the PS3 is expected to cost, or how soon it will appear in the US after the Japanese launch in spring 2006. (Return to story)
Old 11-28-2005, 12:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Just for fun, I ran it through a document comparison program to see what the differences between the articles were.... damn. The article was seriously edited, even adding completely new paragraphs. The strikethrough red text shows what they deleted from the original article, and the double-underlined blue text show what they added to it. Unfortunately there is no way of knowing what appeared initially at the money.cnn link, and what the PS3 Updates people may have changed...

Old 11-28-2005, 02:48 PM
That was uncalled for...

Wow, thanks for posting that up srika...Its cool how when you take out the red text, it still makes sence, for the most part...Interesting....
Old 12-08-2005, 08:17 PM
trill recognize trill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im savin up to buy 10 ps3's and sellin 9 of them