Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

PC question, XP or Vista . . .?

Old 02-01-2007, 09:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,343 Likes on 5,254 Posts
finally some ppl are getting it :P

there's no reason to get Vista at this point if you have XP, unless you are buying a new PC.

Now, Microsoft has changed their XP support schedule. They have changed it to get people to move to Vista quicker. Even businesses. And I think they are violating some kind of law, personally. They are forcing companies to spend millions of dollars to move. Supposedly they are going to stop supporting XP at the end of the year, all versions, all service packs. I have to dig up the link but that is a load of BS. They are going to stop supporting XPSP1 (which many businesses are on) somewhere in March - I think March 1st. Another change that has many companies (including where I work) scrambling to update machines, causing untold and many times unheard of other issues to unfold.. f'ing bs.

Last edited by srika; 02-01-2007 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:27 PM
X spots the mark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fla-tls
Wow - after disabling all of those services to "tweak" it....

What's the difference between Vista and XP? You've spent money on an upgrade and then disabled all of the new features that you paid for to make the upgrade worthwhile???

I don't get it.
who cares about functionality, it's all about the looks... 3D windows and such...
Old 02-01-2007, 10:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by srika
Now, Microsoft has changed their XP support schedule. They have changed it to get people to move to Vista quicker. Even businesses. And I think they are violating some kind of law, personally. They are forcing companies to spend millions of dollars to move. Supposedly they are going to stop supporting XP at the end of the year, all versions, all service packs. I have to dig up the link but that is a load of BS. They are going to stop supporting XPSP1 (which many businesses are on) somewhere in March - I think March 1st. Another change that has many companies (including where I work) scrambling to update machines, causing untold and many times unheard of other issues to unfold.. f'ing bs.
Please stop giving out false information. Yes, Microsoft has stop support of XP SP1 but anyone who has XP should have upgraded to XP SP2 by now. XP SP3 is suppose to be released sometime in 2008. And Microsoft won't stop support of XP until 2014.

http://www.informationweek.com/showA...leID=197000979
Old 02-01-2007, 10:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Unless you're gonna buy a new computer with the newest bells & whistles (ie Core 2 Duo -- E6400 processor or better; 2 gigs RAM, video card that supports DirectX 10), don't bother with Vista. I have a personal philosophy not to install a new MSFT operating system until service pack 1 is released.

Don't be an early adopter and get burned ... the cost of new computer ownership + OS ... not worth the cost. Most games (if you're a gamer) are still for XP anyways. Save your money and get XP. Vista won't be "big" for at least another year.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by alex2364
Please stop giving out false information. Yes, Microsoft has stop support of XP SP1 but anyone who has XP should have upgraded to XP SP2 by now. XP SP3 is suppose to be released sometime in 2008. And Microsoft won't stop support of XP until 2014.

http://www.informationweek.com/showA...leID=197000979
looks like we'll be having a "meeting" tomorrow to discuss this... hah.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:26 AM
Banned

OK I probably know more about Vista than anyone on this forum (Not that I'm trying to brag or that that's something to brag about). I been using it since Beta 2 also including build 5536, RC 1 (build 5600), RC 2 (build 5744), build 5840 and now the RTM build 6000. So I've been there when it sucked and was unusable (beta 2) till now. The goal for RTM for Vista was to release it with less than 500 known bugs which in comparasion to XP shipped with about 1500 known bugs. So this OS upon release is ALOT less buggy then any other version of Windows when they were released. Vista became my main OS ever since RC 1 and I can say it's alot better than XP. Not because the graphics but just the ease of use and plethora of features.

My favorite ease of use feature is the new start menu. It's finally in alphabetical order!! Not in the order from oldest to newest, so if you can spell than it's real easy to find a program. Much easier than trying to remember when you installed a program in comparasion to other programs on the list, which I always hated. Of course the new search feature very convienent (which btw MS were the first to announce but since they had all the delays in Vista's launch Apple, Google and even MS themselves was able to beat them to market with it). The search feature is awesome if you want to now how to do something like change a setting just start typing in the words and it'll probably show up. I've used spotlight on Tiger and this definitely better

Built in previews of documents, music, movies in the OS so I don't have to launch a program to see if I'm about to open the right file. You can actually preview the entire file whether it be song, powerpoint presentation, movie, whatever supports this in the OS without opening the program if you want.

Here's a pic of the new start menu in alphabetical order and a pic of the preview pane show me a preview of a .PPT file and can go through all the slide without opening Powerpoint.

OMG windows Media Center is awesome, I freaking love it!!! I don't watch TV on a TV any more, I like the Fox Sports option in Media Center that show every sports related show that is currently on while showing all the scores at the top of the screen and new at the bottom which I can click on and which to a game or get more info on the news (granted this have been in standalone media center edition but this is my first interaction with it). The backup feature is alot better, I've used Windows Fax and Scan once. Which was great cause at the time my parents who are big Mac fans were having trouble trying to get the scanner to work, so I said give it to me let me plug it into Vista and see what happens. So I plug it in it for the first time and it automatically recognizes the HP all-in-one unit , installs all the drivers (and this was on RC 2 at the time and it still had all the drivers) and then I open the start menu and type in "scan" and it instantly finds Windows Fax and Scan as the first result. Now at the time I didn't know of the existence of this program and just did what came natural for me to do which was search. So I open it click "new scan" and it finds the scanner and scans the picture. My dad was like "what, you must've set that up, no way it was that easy!!" I bet I can do that on OS X I just didn't know how. He then tries the same thing and nothing no Fax program!!

Unlike what some people think you don't NEED 2gB and 256mB graphic card to run vista. I ran beta vista with 1gB fine no problem, I wouldn't recommend anything less than 1gB. You can run the aero interface on most newer integrated graphics chips. my dad just bought a computer for $299 (the same dad as above, because he couldn't do something on his mac that he needed to do) and it can run vista in all it's glory including aero except it only has 512gb of memory even though it will work it's not recommended especially seeing how cheap 512 of memory is nowadays (less than $40).

The reason memory requirements are so high is because some new technologies called Superfetch which precisely monitor what programs you use most often and when you use them then try to load these programs and associated files into the RAM so the CPU doesn't have to load from the hard disk. So the more RAM you have the better this works, I'd recommend 2gB and that's what most all new computer are shipping with nowadays.

Another cool feature is when I program crashes it can recover itself and you won't have to force quit it in the task manager. Like yesterday for example I was using iTunes and syncing my iPod with it and after a little while it stopped responding so I open the task manager and it says iTunes not responding but I let it sit there for a couple minutes I kept doing whatever else I was doing and lo and behold it came out of it as if nothing had happened and started syncing again. This would never happen in XP.

Vista also has huge security advances like ASLR (very cool feature), protected mode for IE7+, windows defender, better 2-way firewall, UAC to protect people from themselves (you can turn this off BTW but if you do you'll lose the protected mode for IE7+), etc.

Live taskbar previews which show what the window looks like before you maximize it. Windows Flip 3d which I think is more for looks than anything but it works just as well as alt+tab.

In regards to compatability I only have one program that MS says isn't compatible with Vista and that Visual Basic.NET but I installed it anyways and in brief period I had it open it seemed fine but that's not saying anything. I've also used Office pro 2003, 2007, Photoshop CS2, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash, iTunes, Quicktime, DVD decrypter (very important to me), Avid Pro, limewire and a bunch of others that I can't remember right now with no problems. even if you have compatability problems you can turn on the compatibility mode and trick the program into thinking it running on XP. Something new to that is that Vista will automatically pop up a dialog box sometimes and ask you if you want to enable compatability mode if it thinks you might be having trouble with a program.

The new performance and reliability monitor is freaking awesome it keeps track of how your computers doing from day to day and includes a list of thing that happened to the OS that day from new installs/uninstalls, application crashes, OS crashes, hardware failures and rates it on a graph from 1 - 10, 10 being the highest. Here's what mine looks like for the 2 days I've had this installed and a what a live taskbar thumbnail looks like

Oh how could I forget the new windows recovery console, I've used that way too many times. The new console is great, and effortless. So my motherboard had been on the fritz for a while I just didn't now it and I thought I had bad memory and hard drive but it was my mobo. Anyways I'd occasionaly get a boot disk failure with my IDE drive and I couldn't boot into Vista. Well what I'd have to do was insert the Vista install disk and what it automatically does is detect that there was an issue starting up and would run a thorough scan of my Vista installion for startup errors and almost everytime it found a problem whether it was a missing file or corrupt file and it fixed it right away. This is automatic btw you just click repair my installation or whatever it says and this is the first thing it does. Then after that i was good to go until it happened again. But once I replaced my motherboard I never had this problem again. This as you IT guys may now is leap years better than XP recovery console. If someone's computer won't boot into Vista you just have to tell them to run the recovery console which Vista detects that it previously didn't boot correctly and gives you this option to do anyways and you just select that and MS says that this will solve 80% of all startup problems.

What else, hmm how about all the cool new programs like windows movie maker (I love how it works with TV shows I've recorded in media center) which is just as good as iMovie if not better or windows photo gallery which has a great red eye reduction alglorithim. Windows update is finally a standalone application like it always should have been. The sidebar is pretty cool I've yet to download new gadgets since this is a new install but there's alot more now that Vista is available to the public so I'll have to get on that. All the new programs are comparable to iLife on the mac but it comes with Vista you don't have to pay extra for it like you do with OS X, that is of course if you want to buy a whole new Mac which I believe comes with your choice of iLife or iWork (who uses iWork anyways?, I guess only Steve Jobs) How about the new snipping tool which easily allows you to cut out portions of your screen and save them in many formats. Ooh the new Volume mixer which allows you to individually control the volume of all open applications. So if I want to mute Media Center while watching TV during a commercial break and listen to music in iTunes I can easily do that all in one spot.

In regards to stability so far I'm liking the RTM version alot it seems alot more stable even more so than build 5840 which was almost the RTM build. I've only had one crash so far and that was because of some USB device. Now my only problems with Vista right now are on the driver side and that includes drivers for my Creative X-Fi sound card which is still in beta mode and the drivers for my Nvidia 6800gt card. Those drivers suck!!!!! I'm sometimes having problems watching media center because of the crappy drivers from Nvidia cause my screen to flicker and some times the screen just goes black and I get some driver kernel failure or something like that. What's cool is that there's this new thing called Problem reports and solutions in the control panel which alterts MS to all of your OS problems and if there's a fix available at the time or even later on down the road they will let you now and will tell how to implement it which is a little bet better than what's offered in XP. If you want to now more about Vista and it's cool feature like some I haven't mentioned here (and yes there's plenty more) like Ready boost, Ready Drive, etc check out this great article I read today on anandtech.com Also there's an extremely thorough review of Vista done by Paul Thurrott which you can read here on www.winsupersite.com go to these sites to find the good and bad of Vista instead of listening to what you're hearing on this thread cause alot of it's exageratted. In case you didn't notice I'm for going to Vista, and for the Ultimate Edition which you can pick up for $200 if you get an OEM copy unless you're really into games. I mean the system is really stable in my opinion I've seen my dad's new PC with Media Center 2005 crash more times than this and uninstalled all the craplets on that thing.

Here's my system specs and their accompanied Windows Experience Index Rating
AMD 4800+ X2
2gB DDR RAM
Nvidia 6800GT 256mB
2 x 74gB Raptor 10k RPM drives in a RAID 0 array
500gB Seagate to store all my TV shows and music, pr0n, etc
Creative X-Fi soundcard
24" Gateway monitor (fricken awesome)

Overall score on a scale of 1-5.9 my system is a 5.0

If anyone has any question in regards to Vista I'm more than welcome to answer, I'm sorry I took so long to find this thread!!

DAMN it really took me 2+ hours to write this reply!! I hope everyone enjoys it, I guess I'm passionate about Vista!!

Last edited by danielsmi; 02-02-2007 at 02:29 AM.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:42 AM
Banned

yeah I though about resizing but decided against it. I guess I should've, I mean damn I was using Photoshop, which works great in Vista BTW. I'm quoting this deleted post. I don't want anyone thinking that I'm talking to myself, it was there I swear it was.

uhhh. thats all fine and dandy but unfortunately for you, your inability to resize pics leaves a stronger impression on us than your knowledge of Vista. ;p

pic resizing ownsj00 [img]images/smilies/emot-laugh.gif[/img]
don't think I'm offended by this comment if that's why you took it down, it doesn't bother me at all.

Last edited by danielsmi; 02-02-2007 at 02:45 AM.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:06 AM
Senior Moderator

I posted without thinking, and I was being an ass. That's why I deleted it.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
thanks danielsmi for the review, it's exactly what I'm looking for. As I said, I pretty much didn't have much of a choice since I bought a new system. Reviews from actual users are very helpful.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
I liked this review, so I resized the pics to make the content easier to read:

----originally posted by danielsmi-------
OK I probably know more about Vista than anyone on this forum (Not that I'm trying to brag or that that's something to brag about). I been using it since Beta 2 also including build 5536, RC 1 (build 5600), RC 2 (build 5744), build 5840 and now the RTM build 6000. So I've been there when it sucked and was unusable (beta 2) till now. The goal for RTM for Vista was to release it with less than 500 known bugs which in comparasion to XP shipped with about 1500 known bugs. So this OS upon release is ALOT less buggy then any other version of Windows when they were released. Vista became my main OS ever since RC 1 and I can say it's alot better than XP. Not because the graphics but just the ease of use and plethora of features.

My favorite ease of use feature is the new start menu. It's finally in alphabetical order!! Not in the order from oldest to newest, so if you can spell than it's real easy to find a program. Much easier than trying to remember when you installed a program in comparasion to other programs on the list, which I always hated. Of course the new search feature very convienent (which btw MS were the first to announce but since they had all the delays in Vista's launch Apple, Google and even MS themselves was able to beat them to market with it). The search feature is awesome if you want to now how to do something like change a setting just start typing in the words and it'll probably show up. I've used spotlight on Tiger and this definitely better

Built in previews of documents, music, movies in the OS so I don't have to launch a program to see if I'm about to open the right file. You can actually preview the entire file whether it be song, powerpoint presentation, movie, whatever supports this in the OS without opening the program if you want.

Here's a pic of the new start menu in alphabetical order and a pic of the preview pane show me a preview of a .PPT file and can go through all the slide without opening Powerpoint.

OMG windows Media Center is awesome, I freaking love it!!! I don't watch TV on a TV any more, I like the Fox Sports option in Media Center that show every sports related show that is currently on while showing all the scores at the top of the screen and new at the bottom which I can click on and which to a game or get more info on the news (granted this have been in standalone media center edition but this is my first interaction with it). The backup feature is alot better, I've used Windows Fax and Scan once. Which was great cause at the time my parents who are big Mac fans were having trouble trying to get the scanner to work, so I said give it to me let me plug it into Vista and see what happens. So I plug it in it for the first time and it automatically recognizes the HP all-in-one unit , installs all the drivers (and this was on RC 2 at the time and it still had all the drivers) and then I open the start menu and type in "scan" and it instantly finds Windows Fax and Scan as the first result. Now at the time I didn't know of the existence of this program and just did what came natural for me to do which was search. So I open it click "new scan" and it finds the scanner and scans the picture. My dad was like "what, you must've set that up, no way it was that easy!!" I bet I can do that on OS X I just didn't know how. He then tries the same thing and nothing no Fax program!!

Unlike what some people think you don't NEED 2gB and 256mB graphic card to run vista. I ran beta vista with 1gB fine no problem, I wouldn't recommend anything less than 1gB. You can run the aero interface on most newer integrated graphics chips. my dad just bought a computer for $299 (the same dad as above, because he couldn't do something on his mac that he needed to do) and it can run vista in all it's glory including aero except it only has 512gb of memory even though it will work it's not recommended especially seeing how cheap 512 of memory is nowadays (less than $40).

The reason memory requirements are so high is because some new technologies called Superfetch which precisely monitor what programs you use most often and when you use them then try to load these programs and associated files into the RAM so the CPU doesn't have to load from the hard disk. So the more RAM you have the better this works, I'd recommend 2gB and that's what most all new computer are shipping with nowadays.

Another cool feature is when I program crashes it can recover itself and you won't have to force quit it in the task manager. Like yesterday for example I was using iTunes and syncing my iPod with it and after a little while it stopped responding so I open the task manager and it says iTunes not responding but I let it sit there for a couple minutes I kept doing whatever else I was doing and lo and behold it came out of it as if nothing had happened and started syncing again. This would never happen in XP.

Vista also has huge security advances like ASLR (very cool feature), protected mode for IE7+, windows defender, better 2-way firewall, UAC to protect people from themselves (you can turn this off BTW but if you do you'll lose the protected mode for IE7+), etc.

Live taskbar previews which show what the window looks like before you maximize it. Windows Flip 3d which I think is more for looks than anything but it works just as well as alt+tab.

In regards to compatability I only have one program that MS says isn't compatible with Vista and that Visual Basic.NET but I installed it anyways and in brief period I had it open it seemed fine but that's not saying anything. I've also used Office pro 2003, 2007, Photoshop CS2, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash, iTunes, Quicktime, DVD decrypter (very important to me), Avid Pro, limewire and a bunch of others that I can't remember right now with no problems. even if you have compatability problems you can turn on the compatibility mode and trick the program into thinking it running on XP. Something new to that is that Vista will automatically pop up a dialog box sometimes and ask you if you want to enable compatability mode if it thinks you might be having trouble with a program.

The new performance and reliability monitor is freaking awesome it keeps track of how your computers doing from day to day and includes a list of thing that happened to the OS that day from new installs/uninstalls, application crashes, OS crashes, hardware failures and rates it on a graph from 1 - 10, 10 being the highest. Here's what mine looks like for the 2 days I've had this installed and a what a live taskbar thumbnail looks like

Oh how could I forget the new windows recovery console, I've used that way too many times. The new console is great, and effortless. So my motherboard had been on the fritz for a while I just didn't now it and I thought I had bad memory and hard drive but it was my mobo. Anyways I'd occasionaly get a boot disk failure with my IDE drive and I couldn't boot into Vista. Well what I'd have to do was insert the Vista install disk and what it automatically does is detect that there was an issue starting up and would run a thorough scan of my Vista installion for startup errors and almost everytime it found a problem whether it was a missing file or corrupt file and it fixed it right away. This is automatic btw you just click repair my installation or whatever it says and this is the first thing it does. Then after that i was good to go until it happened again. But once I replaced my motherboard I never had this problem again. This as you IT guys may now is leap years better than XP recovery console. If someone's computer won't boot into Vista you just have to tell them to run the recovery console which Vista detects that it previously didn't boot correctly and gives you this option to do anyways and you just select that and MS says that this will solve 80% of all startup problems.

What else, hmm how about all the cool new programs like windows movie maker (I love how it works with TV shows I've recorded in media center) which is just as good as iMovie if not better or windows photo gallery which has a great red eye reduction alglorithim. Windows update is finally a standalone application like it always should have been. The sidebar is pretty cool I've yet to download new gadgets since this is a new install but there's alot more now that Vista is available to the public so I'll have to get on that. All the new programs are comparable to iLife on the mac but it comes with Vista you don't have to pay extra for it like you do with OS X, that is of course if you want to buy a whole new Mac which I believe comes with your choice of iLife or iWork (who uses iWork anyways?, I guess only Steve Jobs) How about the new snipping tool which easily allows you to cut out portions of your screen and save them in many formats. Ooh the new Volume mixer which allows you to individually control the volume of all open applications. So if I want to mute Media Center while watching TV during a commercial break and listen to music in iTunes I can easily do that all in one spot.

In regards to stability so far I'm liking the RTM version alot it seems alot more stable even more so than build 5840 which was almost the RTM build. I've only had one crash so far and that was because of some USB device. Now my only problems with Vista right now are on the driver side and that includes drivers for my Creative X-Fi sound card which is still in beta mode and the drivers for my Nvidia 6800gt card. Those drivers suck!!!!! I'm sometimes having problems watching media center because of the crappy drivers from Nvidia cause my screen to flicker and some times the screen just goes black and I get some driver kernel failure or something like that. What's cool is that there's this new thing called Problem reports and solutions in the control panel which alterts MS to all of your OS problems and if there's a fix available at the time or even later on down the road they will let you now and will tell how to implement it which is a little bet better than what's offered in XP. If you want to now more about Vista and it's cool feature like some I haven't mentioned here (and yes there's plenty more) like Ready boost, Ready Drive, etc check out this great article I read today on anandtech.com Also there's an extremely thorough review of Vista done by Paul Thurrott which you can read here on www.winsupersite.com go to these sites to find the good and bad of Vista instead of listening to what you're hearing on this thread cause alot of it's exageratted. In case you didn't notice I'm for going to Vista, and for the Ultimate Edition which you can pick up for $200 if you get an OEM copy unless you're really into games. I mean the system is really stable in my opinion I've seen my dad's new PC with Media Center 2005 crash more times than this and uninstalled all the craplets on that thing.

Here's my system specs and their accompanied Windows Experience Index Rating
AMD 4800+ X2
2gB DDR RAM
Nvidia 6800GT 256mB
2 x 74gB Raptor 10k RPM drives in a RAID 0 array
500gB Seagate to store all my TV shows and music, pr0n, etc
Creative X-Fi soundcard
24" Gateway monitor (fricken awesome)

Overall score on a scale of 1-5.9 my system is a 5.0

If anyone has any question in regards to Vista I'm more than welcome to answer, I'm sorry I took so long to find this thread!!

DAMN it really took me 2+ hours to write this reply!! I hope everyone enjoys it, I guess I'm passionate about Vista!!
Old 02-02-2007, 11:23 AM
X spots the mark

What happens if you run regular WinXP on a dual-core processor system, does XP recognize it as such and take advantage of its capabilities?
Old 02-02-2007, 11:38 AM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by danielsmi
You did good. rep pnts
Old 02-02-2007, 11:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by whynot
What happens if you run regular WinXP on a dual-core processor system, does XP recognize it as such and take advantage of its capabilities?
2 of us in my office have dual core PCs running XP, and they seem fast and run well, but we don't do gaming on them of course, so I can't comment on that. But I do like the setup and wish I had it on my PC I bought for home 18 months ago.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:55 AM
X spots the mark

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
2 of us in my office have dual core PCs running XP, and they seem fast and run well, but we don't do gaming on them of course, so I can't comment on that. But I do like the setup and wish I had it on my PC I bought for home 18 months ago.
Interesting...
How does XP recognize the dual-core CPU, as two seperate processors? Can you right click on on My Computer and see it in properties... just curious... thanx
Old 02-02-2007, 11:56 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting...
How does XP recognize the dual-core CPU, as two seperate processors? Can you right click on on My Computer and see it in properties... just curious... thanx

Of course it does, it's two separate processors on one dye

Any operating system that has support for more than one processor will see the cores. The "extreme core 2" processors have 4 cores (4 CPUs in one). You will see 4 processors on operating systems that support it.

I don't know what the processor limitations are on non "professional" editions of XP. XP "home" might only support 1 processor. As such you will only see one... XP "Profesional" does support at least 2 processors.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:09 PM
X spots the mark

Originally Posted by SiGGy
Of course it does, it's two separate processors on one dye

Any operating system that has support for more than one processor will see the cores. The "extreme core 2" processors have 4 cores (4 CPUs in one). You will see 4 processors on operating systems that support it.

I don't know what the processor limitations are on non "professional" editions of XP. XP "home" might only support 1 processor. As such you will only see one... XP "Profesional" does support at least 2 processors.
I'm not completely sure but I'd think that with SP2, XP Home should be able to recognize and support 2 processors as well.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Interesting...
Here's what I see on mine:

Old 02-02-2007, 12:30 PM
X spots the mark

^^^
Thanks!
Old 02-02-2007, 12:52 PM
Moderator Alumnus

^^^
Thanks!

I don't see how that was useful though? It doesn't tell you that it recognized it as 2 CPU(s). I just says that it's a CORE2 processor.

Since I own a CORE2 system and XP pro. I can tell you it does see it as 2 processors. There are better ways of getting this info though.

Apps like:
CPUZ:
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Will give you more info... and process manager will show CPU load graphs for both CPU(s).... Note the two "CPU usage history" graphs side by side.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:03 PM
X spots the mark

^^^
That CPU should be a monster, just add 6 more gigs of RAM and you'll be Vista ready
Old 02-02-2007, 01:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

^^^
That CPU should be a monster, just add 6 more gigs of RAM and you'll be Vista ready

I had it clocked up to 3.7Ghz for awhile. But it was over-kill. So I brought it down to 3.0ghz. Even at this speed games still never hammer both CPU(s) to a 100%. Limitation is my video cards. Which aren't too shabby, 2x x1900XTX(s).

Hopefully that CPU-Z app will be useful for you. You don't even need to install it, you just run it from the .zip file it comes it. So you can toss it on a USB thumb drive or something and carry it around with ya.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:09 PM
X spots the mark

damn that must be a nice rig you got but it may be overkill for what's out there right now... I have 3.2Ghz p4 with HT, 2 gigs of DDR3200 and x800xt w/256mb ddr3 and I can play most new games on max settings without any lag...
Old 02-02-2007, 01:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Note the two "CPU usage history" graphs side by side.
ftw! nice - I just noticed that on mine.

I see you are C2D 2.4, yet it says 3.00 below that... are you OC'ing or something? or do I even have to ask.. :P
Old 02-02-2007, 01:27 PM
X spots the mark

ftw! nice - I just noticed that on mine.

I see you are C2D 2.4, yet it says 3.00 below that... are you OC'ing or something? or do I even have to ask.. :P
that's how it's shown when it's OC'ed... that thing must be running so hot he doesn't even need to have indoor heating
Old 02-02-2007, 01:31 PM
Moderator Alumnus

damn that must be a nice rig you got but it may be overkill for what's out there right now... I have 3.2Ghz p4 with HT, 2 gigs of DDR3200 and x800xt w/256mb ddr3 and I can play most new games on max settings without any lag...

Nah, it's not overkill. You can't play games like Prey at a high resolution and FULL detail settings with the setup your talking about. At least not at 1680x1050 or higher resolution. Or half-life2 episode1 with dynamic lighting enabled. It'd be real slow on a x800xt.

Here I'll show ya some benchmarks with similar hardware and same GFX cards...
I comapred a single X1900XTX to a X800xt DDR3.

And remember these are PEAK rates, so average frame rate will be much slower.
Look at the BLUE highlighted ones, they represent the comparison.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

that's how it's shown when it's OC'ed... that thing must be running so hot he doesn't even need to have indoor heating

37 degrees idle... 45 at 100% load on both CPU(s). I'm using an all Copper Zalmann cooler. Runs pretty cool actually.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:41 PM
X spots the mark

37 degrees idle... 45 at 100% load on both CPU(s). I'm using an all Copper Zalmann cooler. Runs pretty cool actually.
heh Nice, I'm just messin with ya!
How much did that whole setup cost you? I bet it's more than the waverunner I just sold

Last edited by whynot; 02-02-2007 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:58 PM
X spots the mark

wow... my lowly x800xt isn't even on that list lol...
by the way, the human eye cannot interpret more than 60 frames per second so a videocard that costs more than a house in some third world countries better be able to do other impressive things, like attract hot women or dispose of dead bodies...
Old 02-02-2007, 02:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

heh Nice, I'm just messin with ya!
How much did that whole setup cost you? I bet it's more than the waverunner I just sold

$1600

E6600 Core 2 processor
ASUS P5W Wifi Deluxe MOBO
NZXT Aluminum Case
Zalmann copper CPU cooler
650Watt modular PSU
2GB 1000mhtz DDR2 RAM
250GB SATA DRIVE
X1900XTX 512MB
NEC 3550A DVD Burner
Old 02-02-2007, 02:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

wow... my lowly x800xt isn't even on that list lol...
by the way, the human eye cannot interpret more than 60 frames per second so a videocard that costs more than a house in some third world countries better be able to do other impressive things, like attract hot women or dispose of dead bodies...

While what you are saying is correct that doesn't ring true for game engine processing.

The better the FPS the faster the game engine is processing... this results in more accurate shooting and physics. Which results in better game play.

Don't think of it as FRAMES per second. Think of it as game engine updates per second. When the game engine can track 100 updates a second between all of the stuff it has to keep track of vs 25; guess which one will play better and give better accuracy/feedback?

The difference is night and day actually... A system straining along to render 25FPS will not play anything like a system that is doing 100FPS. Mouse input is 4x better, game engine is calculating 4x better, user input to what you get on the screen will be 4x better...

your card is on there; I told ya look at the BLUE highlighted ones. I compared a x800xt DDR3 to a X1900XTX
Old 02-02-2007, 02:14 PM
X spots the mark

your card is on there; I told ya look at the BLUE highlighted ones. I compared a x800xt DDR3 to a X1900XTX
That one's XT PE which is an improved version of mine, I think memory speed is bumped up a little bit and so is the core.
I bought this card a while ago when it just came out and cost close to $400, now for that price you can get a card that is almost twice as fast... these things depreciate so fast that it discourages me from upgrading...
Old 02-02-2007, 02:18 PM
Moderator Alumnus

That one's XT PE which is an improved version of mine, I think memory speed is bumped up a little bit and so is the core.
I bought this card a while ago when it just came out and cost close to $400, now for that price you can get a card that is almost twice as fast... these things depreciate so fast that it discourages me from upgrading...
oh! Sorry. ya the X1900XTX (512MB) is around $300 now. I know how you feel though, the older machine I passed on to my GF has a Nvidia 6800GT I think I paid $420 for new.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:54 PM
dumber than a box of hair

You might wanna rethink that, I hear Vista censors all your pron clips by blocking all the X-rated material with the Windows logo... all part of DX10...
It's actually much worse than that:

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html

Cliff's Notes: If any digital content is not up to Micro$oft's standards, the content is munged or blocked altogether...including content that you have purchased. Same with hardware. HD monitors costing thousands of dollars, hooked up to Vista PCs, don't work.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:21 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^ no, no, thats imposssible, vista is da best OS evar... ;p
Old 02-02-2007, 05:13 PM
On the way!

Hmm - actually M$'s licensing hasn't changed from XP that I'm aware of. If the CPU has multiple cores (yes - even 4), it will be recognized as a multi CPU system by all OS's (even home basic, etc).

The problem is if it has multiple physical sockets... Then you need multiprocessor OS.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:18 PM
Moderator Alumnus

^^^ no, no, thats imposssible, vista is da best OS evar... ;p

After reading how Vista is going to fuck everything up for everyone; this is pissing me off.

The movie companies get to dictate hardware design on video cards? WTF?

Hardware costs are going to skyrocket from Vistas design.

And reading about how MS will blacklist drivers for any hardware that are considered "bad/comprimised" is scary too. And how vista disables your Optical/Spif 5.1 output when you play protected content renders Vista useless unless you spend a ton of audio interconnects.

So some hacker screws with a video driver, releases it on the net. And now everyone who has that card is fucked. And if it's older hardware that new drivers aren't being written for it's a total loss.

I'm only 1/2 way through that article, I had to take a break.

At this point...

Fuck VISTA, FUCK MICROSOFT. I won't be switching anytime soon... this "upgrade" is a SERIOUS downgrade.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:36 PM
On the way!

Wow. All I know is that Beta 2 didn't support the old Adaptec SCSI controller I had in my system for a legacy tape drive (2940UW). I figured the driver issue was a fluke and would be addressed in RTM.

Not too impressed so far - especially after reading Siggy's comments...
Old 02-02-2007, 06:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SidS1045
It's actually much worse than that:

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html
(A note to readers: The reaction to what started out as an obscure technical post to a security mailing list has been rather unexpected and overwhelming, so I'm totally buried in Vista email at the moment. Please be patient when expecting replies, and apologies if I can't reply to all messages).
poor guy...
Old 02-02-2007, 06:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Well, I figure I should share my experience with Vista, short as it was. I just recently built a new rig,...

General Specs:
Asus CD2 Striker Extreme (775) nForce 680i SLI blah blah
E 6600 (running at normal speed for now)
2GB OCZ PC2 7200 (900 MHz) DDR2
BFG GeForce 7950GT OC (512Mb) (for now,...waiting to see what comes out this year before changing anything)
Antec 900 case
OCZ 600w power supply
Maxtor 320GB HD (and a 160 too)

I dont know anything near what some of you guys know about computers, but here is what I noticed about Vista. I found it somewhat annoying because it asks if you really want to open something EVERY time you open the app. This started to wear thin after a while, although it was only for certain things (ie Battlefield 2142). I know this feature is for security reasons etc, but its annoying as hell. I would guess that after a while ppl might just start clicking ok to any box that pops up,........which defeats the purpose kind of.

I didnt really notice a difference between XP and Vista in terms of speed doing random things on my comp, like music, movies, etc. Vista SEEMED a bit faster, but I think I was just imagining things. For Games, Vista pissed me off. It took me quite some time to get Battlefield 2142 (a fantastic game) to work properly. Once I got that working, it didnt like me running the video settings at Max in the game, so I had to turn them down a bit to make it happy. With XP, I run everything at max without any problems at all.

Looks wise, Vista Aero is pretty cool (I was running Ultimate btw) but it is all just eye candy stuff really. Im not sure what some ppl mean when they say it is easier to use. Maybe some functions are, but a lot of basic stuff is more complicated. I read an article about how in XP, to make a simple change to your network settings it would take you 4 mouse clicks,...with Vista it now takes 7. I dont really see that as improving userability. I know it took me WAY too long to get connected to the internet when I brought my comp home from my buddies house where we set my comp up.

I found Vista took a bit of getting used too,.....in circumbstances just like I described with the number of clicks example above. Another article about Vista described my annoyance perfectly,......its like MS wants to protect the user from themselves. It felt like they tried to hide everything. I know some of that is just because things function a bit different in Vista, but it bothers me that I had to do MORE in Vista vs XP to accomplish the same things.

Anyway, I only used it for a few weeks, so maybe had I used it longer I might have warmed to it more. In any event, I will happily be staying with XP for quite some time. I know my thoughts probably suck, but thats how a medium Comp knowledge person Saw Vista from a few weeks of usage.

Last edited by West6MT; 02-02-2007 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:56 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
After reading how Vista is going to fuck everything up for everyone; this is pissing me off.

The movie companies get to dictate hardware design on video cards? WTF?

Hardware costs are going to skyrocket from Vistas design.

And reading about how MS will blacklist drivers for any hardware that are considered "bad/comprimised" is scary too. And how vista disables your Optical/Spif 5.1 output when you play protected content renders Vista useless unless you spend a ton of audio interconnects.

So some hacker screws with a video driver, releases it on the net. And now everyone who has that card is fucked. And if it's older hardware that new drivers aren't being written for it's a total loss.

I'm only 1/2 way through that article, I had to take a break.

At this point...

Fuck VISTA, FUCK MICROSOFT. I won't be switching anytime soon... this "upgrade" is a SERIOUS downgrade.
<a href="http://www.apple.com/"></a>

Quick Reply: PC question, XP or Vista . . .?