Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

Overheating

Old 05-22-2010, 12:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Overheating

Is my CPU overheating. One of my core's is at 69 degrees Celsius and the other is at 72 degrees Celsius.

I'm pretty sure that is pretty high for what im using my computer for right now. It usually gets this high when i put my laptop on my bed. Right now all i have open is Chrome with 3 tabs, Aim, speedfan. And I have Macafee running in the background.

According to task manager i have 95 processes running physical memory is at 39% and cpu usage keeps varying but is not going that high right now. So why are my core temperatures soo high??

I have a Sony vaio Fw series with a intel core 2 duo processor.

edit: my laptop is on my desk
Old 05-22-2010, 03:36 AM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Temps that high at idle, I'd say yeah, you're overheating.

Few questions. First, how old is the laptop? Second, do you have pets? Only reason I ask is when my Mom's desktop had overheating issues it was dog hair related. HP (and Dell too) used to run a heatsink on the CPU and a fan on the rear of the case. There was a shroud that was meant to pull air in from the fan and push it across the heatsink. Well, it was packed full of dog hair. Laptops are prone to similar issues. If its not under warranty, you may want to (if you're comfortable, if not have somebody else do it) open the case and check the air pathways, heatsinks and fans to make sure everything's clear.

Also, I'm guessing that with 95 processes running that you've never removed any of the Sony trials or bloatware that they install on them from the factory. Uninstalling and cleaning some of that will probably help as well. Its surprising how much crap runs in the background on those things. Also, what OS is on it? If its got 7 on it, you should consider ditching McAffee and going with Microsoft Security Essentials. Its free, and by all accounts pretty good virus/spyware prevention.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by litesout
Temps that high at idle, I'd say yeah, you're overheating.

Few questions. First, how old is the laptop? Second, do you have pets? Only reason I ask is when my Mom's desktop had overheating issues it was dog hair related. HP (and Dell too) used to run a heatsink on the CPU and a fan on the rear of the case. There was a shroud that was meant to pull air in from the fan and push it across the heatsink. Well, it was packed full of dog hair. Laptops are prone to similar issues. If its not under warranty, you may want to (if you're comfortable, if not have somebody else do it) open the case and check the air pathways, heatsinks and fans to make sure everything's clear.

Also, I'm guessing that with 95 processes running that you've never removed any of the Sony trials or bloatware that they install on them from the factory. Uninstalling and cleaning some of that will probably help as well. Its surprising how much crap runs in the background on those things. Also, what OS is on it? If its got 7 on it, you should consider ditching McAffee and going with Microsoft Security Essentials. Its free, and by all accounts pretty good virus/spyware prevention.
Computer is almost 2 years old, no pets at all. I may be comfortable with opening up my laptop, but would I have to move anything around? That I would not be comfortable doing. But if its just checking to see if anything is stuck in the vents and stuff I can try that later.

I have pretty much removed all of Sony's crap (it didnt come with much anyway) I am running windows 7. Never heard of Microsoft security essentials. I just have a Mcaffee one year free account so thats why I'm using it. It hasnt done anything for me other than tell me if the sites are go on are prone to have spyware/viruses but thats only for firefox and I dont use that anymore. So I wouldnt mind switching. I'll do some research on Microsoft security essentials to check that out.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Do I need any of this Sony crap on my computer??

Old 05-22-2010, 10:42 PM
Suzuka Master

I got rid of a lot of things now at startup I only have about 70 processes. So much crap on this computer haha. My computer is still hot though
Old 05-23-2010, 09:13 AM
Oliver!!!

Wow that's a lot of Vaio stuff!

I'd still bet it has more to do with cooling than anything. No pets means low probability of hair clogs and such. What's the full model number? I know you said its an FW series, but there might be something inherent to your model specifically. I'll see what I can come up with.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:37 PM
Suzuka Master

So I took out most of the Vaio things, there are some things which I need to keep and I'm not sure if I should get rid of it. But before on startup my computer would be running about 90 processes now it only runs only 70 processes.

Still my computer is overheating. I left the computer idle for a little bit and the fans turned on. But now it takes a little longer to get to the point. So I think deleting all that junk helped a little but didnt stop it.

Model number is: VGN-FW139E

edit: thanks for helping me litesout
Old 05-27-2010, 02:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Hmm my overheating is gone now, I restored it to an earlier date and it went away.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:55 PM
Oliver!!!

Sounds good, sorry I couldn't be of more help