Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

Need input on LCD screen: Viewsonic 930b or Gateway FPD2185W

Old 11-29-2005, 10:07 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 694 Likes on 417 Posts
Need input on LCD screen: Viewsonic 930b or Gateway FPD2185W

So I'm contemplating jumping into the widescreen arena, and I'm wondering whether I should do it now or not.

My main christmas gift this year will be the LCD monitor, and after reading many articles and reviews, I had settled on the Viewsonic 930b. I know that with 8 ms it's not the fastest response time, but the image quality seems towards the top, the price is right, it has swivel (bonus) and my brother has the slightly older model and loves it.

Then I saw the Gateway FPD2185W at a local Future Shop and I started thinking. The price might be in my range but it's a bit on the expensive side, so I really want to make sure it's what I want. And if I get this one, it will have to last me a LONG time, so I need to know it's future-proof.

The other factor is that currently my computer is an Athlon 2400+ with a GeForce 6600GT, and I don't expect to upgrade the video card or CPU for a while (maybe a year, if I can hold off). So I want this monitor to be usable at its 1680x1050 resolution with my current video card. I know it's going to be pushing it, but I only intend to do gaming maybe an hour a day and I'm happy for now with less graphically intensive games or by turning the detail down to medium-lowish levels. I just don't know if it's going to be enough.

I also hear that this monitor is good at interpolating lower resolutions, so I'm wondering if I should be able to run games like CS at a lower wide-screen resolution and not have it look ugly. I'm hoping someone here could tell me if this is feasible.

Finally, is a widescreen 21" worth that much more than a 19"? I looked at them side by side at a store and the 21" seemed almost the same size, but here people swear by widescreen. Just how much better is it?

Generally speaking, how is widescreen support in games from one or two years ago, like Generals: Zero Hour or Rome:TW? Should I be comforted by assuming that widescreen is the way of the future?
Old 11-29-2005, 10:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
I've bought 4 Viewsonics for myself and my g/f. They're the best for the money IMO.

Oh and 19" is plenty for me. 21" just doesnt have any benefits that are worth it.

And I'm not sure about WS support for Rome Total War, I've never seen anything regarding it.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:48 PM
likes it raw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Belzebutt
So I'm contemplating jumping into the widescreen arena, and I'm wondering whether I should do it now or not.

My main christmas gift this year will be the LCD monitor, and after reading many articles and reviews, I had settled on the Viewsonic 930b. I know that with 8 ms it's not the fastest response time, but the image quality seems towards the top, the price is right, it has swivel (bonus) and my brother has the slightly older model and loves it.

Then I saw the Gateway FPD2185W at a local Future Shop and I started thinking. The price might be in my range but it's a bit on the expensive side, so I really want to make sure it's what I want. And if I get this one, it will have to last me a LONG time, so I need to know it's future-proof.

The other factor is that currently my computer is an Athlon 2400+ with a GeForce 6600GT, and I don't expect to upgrade the video card or CPU for a while (maybe a year, if I can hold off). So I want this monitor to be usable at its 1680x1050 resolution with my current video card. I know it's going to be pushing it, but I only intend to do gaming maybe an hour a day and I'm happy for now with less graphically intensive games or by turning the detail down to medium-lowish levels. I just don't know if it's going to be enough.

I also hear that this monitor is good at interpolating lower resolutions, so I'm wondering if I should be able to run games like CS at a lower wide-screen resolution and not have it look ugly. I'm hoping someone here could tell me if this is feasible.

Finally, is a widescreen 21" worth that much more than a 19"? I looked at them side by side at a store and the 21" seemed almost the same size, but here people swear by widescreen. Just how much better is it?

Generally speaking, how is widescreen support in games from one or two years ago, like Generals: Zero Hour or Rome:TW? Should I be comforted by assuming that widescreen is the way of the future?
For that money why not go with the vx922? 2ms response time, only slightly lower in other areas.

I have an older Viewsonic (non-LCD) and I've never had any problems with it.

Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ubmit=Property

Monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824116375

Last edited by JimmyCarter; 11-29-2005 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:06 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 694 Likes on 417 Posts
I don't need 2ms response time, I would rather put that money towards 1000:1 contrast ratio and swivel.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by Belzebutt
I don't need 2ms response time, I would rather put that money towards 1000:1 contrast ratio and swivel.

Anything less than 10 ms is good enough for most folks