'Grand Theft Auto' slapped with lawsuit
Thread Starter
The sizzle in the Steak
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 71,436
Likes: 1,877
From: Southern California
'Grand Theft Auto' slapped with lawsuit
'Grand Theft Auto' slapped with lawsuit
Friday, January 27, 2006; Posted: 10:57 a.m. EST (15:57 GMT)
Friday, January 27, 2006; Posted: 10:57 a.m. EST (15:57 GMT)
LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- The city attorney's office has sued the makers of "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" for allegedly hiding pornographic material inside the video game, officials said.
Rocky Delgadillo said his office sued Rockstar Games and its parent company, Take-Two Interactive, for making misleading statements in marketing the game and engaging in unfair competition.
A telephone call made after business hours to a Take-Two spokesman in New York was not returned.
The game, released in October 2004, features characters that commit crimes such as murder, drug dealing and pimping.
The game also had an embedded "mini game" in which characters could engage in explicit sexual acts.
The industry board that rates video games gave it a mature rating but would have given it an adults-only rating if it knew of the explicit content, Delgadillo said.
The game's rating was later changed and retailers, including Wal-Mart Stores Inc., Target Corp. and Best Buy Co., pulled copies from their store shelves.
But the game was re-rated only after more than 12 million units had been sold, generating about $600 million in retail sales. The city attorney's office estimated that more than 200,000 units have been sold to date in California, generating more than $10 million in retail sales.
"Businesses have an obligation to truthfully disclose the content of their products -- whether in the food we eat or the entertainment we consume," Delgadillo said.
The lawsuit, filed in Los Angeles Superior Court, was part of an ongoing investigation into the marketing of video games, authorities said.
The game also spurred several states to crack down on sales of mature-rated games to minors.
Delgadillo is seeking civil penalties from Rockstar Games Take-Two Interactive.
He also is requesting that Take-Two and Rockstar take action to ensure full disclosure to consumers about the content of their video games.
Rocky Delgadillo said his office sued Rockstar Games and its parent company, Take-Two Interactive, for making misleading statements in marketing the game and engaging in unfair competition.
A telephone call made after business hours to a Take-Two spokesman in New York was not returned.
The game, released in October 2004, features characters that commit crimes such as murder, drug dealing and pimping.
The game also had an embedded "mini game" in which characters could engage in explicit sexual acts.
The industry board that rates video games gave it a mature rating but would have given it an adults-only rating if it knew of the explicit content, Delgadillo said.
The game's rating was later changed and retailers, including Wal-Mart Stores Inc., Target Corp. and Best Buy Co., pulled copies from their store shelves.
But the game was re-rated only after more than 12 million units had been sold, generating about $600 million in retail sales. The city attorney's office estimated that more than 200,000 units have been sold to date in California, generating more than $10 million in retail sales.
"Businesses have an obligation to truthfully disclose the content of their products -- whether in the food we eat or the entertainment we consume," Delgadillo said.
The lawsuit, filed in Los Angeles Superior Court, was part of an ongoing investigation into the marketing of video games, authorities said.
The game also spurred several states to crack down on sales of mature-rated games to minors.
Delgadillo is seeking civil penalties from Rockstar Games Take-Two Interactive.
He also is requesting that Take-Two and Rockstar take action to ensure full disclosure to consumers about the content of their video games.
Thread Starter
The sizzle in the Steak
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 71,436
Likes: 1,877
From: Southern California
Originally Posted by srika
yea wtf? I was thinking they found something else, lol...
btw in case you haven't seen the hot coffee mod "in action", so to speak, I will say this - it's highly overrated.
btw in case you haven't seen the hot coffee mod "in action", so to speak, I will say this - it's highly overrated.
The drama over Hot Coffee has always been total bullshit - you CANNOT access that content without modifying the game yourself. You can't "unlock" the sex scene with anything actually in the game, you've got to modify files to do it. For some reason none of the news outlets ever report this fact.
Trending Topics
Originally Posted by ABreece
The drama over Hot Coffee has always been total bullshit - you CANNOT access that content without modifying the game yourself. You can't "unlock" the sex scene with anything actually in the game, you've got to modify files to do it. For some reason none of the news outlets ever report this fact.
that's what I was thinking. I remember hearing that you actually have to go out of your way, and use a patch to make this modification.
I think instead of watching out for money, people shoudl be watching out for their kids.
edit: misread the article. Who gets the money from a winning lawsuit?
Originally Posted by Time For Sleeep
that's what I was thinking. I remember hearing that you actually have to go out of your way, and use a patch to make this modification.
I think instead of watching out for money, people shoudl be watching out for their kids.
edit: misread the article. Who gets the money from a winning lawsuit?
I think instead of watching out for money, people shoudl be watching out for their kids.
edit: misread the article. Who gets the money from a winning lawsuit?

It's not really that hard to do. I have unlocked it on the XBOX version and got to the "Adult scene".
I have a MaxDrive which is basically an XBOX memory card that works in both your PC and your XBOX (via USB connection). You don't have to mod your XBOX to use the MaxDrive either.
All you have to do is transfer one of your saves from the first edition of San Andreas to your computer, use an application (easily found on the internet), to unlock the censor on that saved game, and then transfer the save back to your XBOX.
Once you get a girlfriend in the game and go out on enough dates with her, she will invite you in for "Hot Coffee" and that when the game has the "Sex scene". No sex organs are shown (though the girl does strip down to her panties and bra), so they are basically having sex with their clothes on. You can change positions and control how CJ moves. You have to move in rythm, because if you don't the excitement bar reaches 0, and it ends with her not being satisfied. If you do satisfy her enough times, she starts giving you things. I just got keys to her car.
One downside though is once you finish the Hot Coffee scene CJ becomes stuck in front of her house, and can't move. You have to blow up a car to try to free yourself, sometimes you will die as a result. I got free one time without dying, but I don't know how I did it.
Last edited by WdnUlik2no; Feb 8, 2006 at 12:17 PM.
Lawsuit says 'Grand Theft Auto' contributed to teen's shooting spree
Another lawsuit:
Lawsuit says 'Grand Theft Auto' contributed to teen's shooting spree
http://www.startribune.com/484/story/702382.html
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — A lawsuit alleges that one of the "Grand Theft Auto'' video games contributed to the shooting deaths of three people on newsman Sam Donaldson's New Mexico ranch.
Codey Posey was 14 when he shot his father, stepmother and stepsister to death in July 2004.
Now, relatives of the victims have filed a $600-million lawsuit against several companies and Posey, who was sentenced to state custody until he's 21.
Posey's lawyers had said he had been abused for years and killed in self-defense.
But a wrongful death lawsuit claims Posey played "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City'' "obsessively'' for several months before the killings. The lawsuit says the game taught Posey how to kill without inhibition and that if he hadn't played, "he would not have killed.''
The plaintiffs include Take-Two Interactive Software, which says the suit is without merit.
http://www.startribune.com/484/story/702382.html
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — A lawsuit alleges that one of the "Grand Theft Auto'' video games contributed to the shooting deaths of three people on newsman Sam Donaldson's New Mexico ranch.
Codey Posey was 14 when he shot his father, stepmother and stepsister to death in July 2004.
Now, relatives of the victims have filed a $600-million lawsuit against several companies and Posey, who was sentenced to state custody until he's 21.
Posey's lawyers had said he had been abused for years and killed in self-defense.
But a wrongful death lawsuit claims Posey played "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City'' "obsessively'' for several months before the killings. The lawsuit says the game taught Posey how to kill without inhibition and that if he hadn't played, "he would not have killed.''
The plaintiffs include Take-Two Interactive Software, which says the suit is without merit.
Yeah, because Vice City bought the gun, loaded it for him, cocked it, and told him to shoot his parents. Open and shut case IMO.
People are fucking stupid. I kill people in video games all the time, you know why? Because it's stress relief from the real world. I'd rather blow off someone's head in Saints Row then actually go up to some old lady that crashed into my car on the street and blast an entire clip through her windshield.
These lawsuits are totally unfounded, so the kid was abused and snapped, people did this BEFORE video games were created.
People are fucking stupid. I kill people in video games all the time, you know why? Because it's stress relief from the real world. I'd rather blow off someone's head in Saints Row then actually go up to some old lady that crashed into my car on the street and blast an entire clip through her windshield.
These lawsuits are totally unfounded, so the kid was abused and snapped, people did this BEFORE video games were created.
Originally Posted by Minch00
I kill people in video games all the time, you know why? Because it's stress relief from the real world. I'd rather blow off someone's head in Saints Row then actually go up to some old lady that crashed into my car on the street and blast an entire clip through her windshield.

As much as I can't stand John C. Dvorak now, I always thought a column of his from back when one of the first "game killing" lawsuits emerged was rather poignant. I don't remember the exact wording, but it went something like this...
What are violent video games? They're murder simulators. Plain and simple. 'Oh my God!' I hear you saying. 'Why would I allow my child to play a with a murder simulator?' Well guess what? I let my son placing racing games all the time. I bet you would too Mrs. Worry. After all, it's just cars, right? Now is my son going to go driving his car 130 MPH down the city streets? No, of course not. We've discussed it and he knows it's stupid, likely harmful to others, and wrong. Well you know what else? Anybody that's mentally stable to begin with already knows violence and murder are as wrong as you can get. So let me ask you Mrs. Worry, why do you think my child or yours is any more likely to go blow someone's head off because they've done it in a video game than they are to go recklessly driving down the road because they've done it in a video game? Case closed.
Originally Posted by Minch00
Yeah, because Vice City bought the gun, loaded it for him, cocked it, and told him to shoot his parents. Open and shut case IMO.
People are fucking stupid. I kill people in video games all the time, you know why? Because it's stress relief from the real world. I'd rather blow off someone's head in Saints Row then actually go up to some old lady that crashed into my car on the street and blast an entire clip through her windshield.
These lawsuits are totally unfounded, so the kid was abused and snapped, people did this BEFORE video games were created.
People are fucking stupid. I kill people in video games all the time, you know why? Because it's stress relief from the real world. I'd rather blow off someone's head in Saints Row then actually go up to some old lady that crashed into my car on the street and blast an entire clip through her windshield.
These lawsuits are totally unfounded, so the kid was abused and snapped, people did this BEFORE video games were created.
Excactly. Remember 2 World Wars were fought before Video Games existed. You can't blame that on Video Games.
Its a shame how society has gotten to mthe point where no one can accept responsibility for their actions
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
dirleton
2G RDX (2013-2018)
11
Aug 6, 2024 08:19 PM
detailersdomain
Wash & Wax
3
Oct 9, 2015 10:13 PM
DementiaPhuro
3G TL Problems & Fixes
1
Sep 29, 2015 05:31 PM









-ing punks who make fun of my robots...?

