Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

10 Reasons to wait for the PS3...

Old 11-22-2005, 11:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,769 Likes on 13,963 Posts
10 Reasons to wait for the PS3...

Hey, I'm the first one to admit I just may have both consoles...but, what's a little fire to start the console religious fanatics going?

=============================

Patience 360: Ten Reasons to Wait for PS3

Don't rush out to the stores just yet! You may want to save some money and we'll tell you how.
by Jeremy Dunham, Chris Roper, Ivan Sulic

November 21, 2005 - Unless you're the type of gamer who enjoys playing his wares under a rock, then you no doubt know by now that this week marks the official launch for Microsoft's Xbox 360. Several years in the making, the brand new hardware from Gates 'N Company has been receiving plenty of consumer hype in the past few weeks and has been heralded by some as THE big system watch in the upcoming next-generation console wars.

We're here to tell you that they're wrong.

Now don't misunderstand us, we'll be the first to concede that the Xbox 360 is certainly an impressive system with plenty of positives to keep its customers happy. But if you're a fan of high-definition technology, enjoy playing more games than the "other guy," and want to get the most possible bang for your buck, then Sony's forthcoming PlayStation 3 will definitely be the system for you.

Listed below in descending order are the top ten reasons your faithful editors on the IGN PlayStation team think you should wait until next year to make your first next-generation upgrade. And while we absolutely came up with more reasons to ward you off than those listed below, these were the selections that we felt stood out most. Sony fans, this article is dedicated to you so without any further ado, we present to you the Top 10 Reasons to Wait for PS3!

Reason #10: Xbox 360 Doesn't Have a Killer App
360's launch lineup is admirable; there are 18 games and five first-person shooters. It can even be argued that the 360's overall average quality of titles is greater than that of previous systems. And yet not a single game is Killer App worthy? Where's the Halo? Where's the Mario? Where's the Soul Calibur? Where's the frickin' interest?

It's true, though. PS2 launched with a sorry lot of games and PSOne featured a similarly disgraceful lineup, but with the advent of PS3, Microsoft may have wished it more heavily emphasized one game its new console could forever be known for. This is because PS3 has the Metal Gear potential, Warhawk, Tekken, I-8, Gran Turismo, Killzone, and a dozen other high profile games that may hit day one to put a smiling face to the splendid PlayStation name. And when you can associate Dante with PS3, will anything else matter?

Reason #9: Dual-Screen and 1080p Support
1080p! Sweet Marie! Even if most televisions don't support it, why limit yourself to interlaced images when you can experience the glory of 1080 progressive? Support is for the weak! PS3 is forward looking, if anything. This means when you invest in the ultimate display technology however many years down the road, PS3 will make good on your purchase by outputting the absolute best image available on the market. And according to boastful Sony reps, we'll see games running at 120fps, too.

The Dual-Screen support also adds some interesting 3D potential. Layering images is a great way to fake depth. But if Killzone in full 3D isn't your cup of tea, maybe panoramic F1 racing will be? The option is certainly there. If the next Ace Combat doesn't feature dual screen-in cockpit support, we know it at least could have if it wanted to. Boo-yah, 360. Where your 720p now?

Reason #8: Hefty Expandability / Connectivity Options
Have expansion, will travel. The best way to maximize a console's lifespan is by lining it with a thousand ports and interfaces of every type. In this way PS3 has expandability written all over it. Compact Flash, SD Card, Memory Stick, Blue Tooth, USB 2.0... If Sony ever wants to add-on, it need not limit itself to one standard. And if you ever want to jam something into your PS3, chances are you'll be able to, assuming it's not toast.

Moreover, PS3 will also be intimately familiar with the PSP, meaning cross-platform associations will be all over the place. Expect PS3 games to take full advantage of the little PlayStation Portable by offering unlockable content and new multiplayer possibilities. What if a PSP player could control Otacon's droid in the next MGS? Whoops!

Reason #7: You Can Still Pre-Order
It seems to happen during every system launch, but nobody ever learns their lesson. In the rush to be the first on the block to own a brand new console, mobs of people invade their local retailers while forming lines larger than what you'd see during Fourth of July weekend at Disneyland. It gets even worse once you're inside the store -- as people hurry to the videogame section eager to snatch up whatever overpriced bundle pack they can, so that the managers who decided to throw the promotion together can milk every last penny out of your paper route.

This can be avoided, however, if you just plunk down fifty or so bucks a few months ahead of time. All you have to do in this scenario is walk right into your retailer of choice, pay of the remainder of the balance and go home with a smile on your face. With a release date of just under a year away, the PS3 still lets you do this. The Xbox 360, on the other hand, does not.

Reason #6: Seven-Player Wireless Support
While being able to play with six of your buddies offline in addition to playing with a single system will only be appealing for a small number of genres, it can be especially important for sports games in particular. Being able to populate an NBA or NHL team entirely with human players is something that isn't possible on any system outside of the PlayStation line, and the PS3 will keep with this trend.

If you've ever played through a season of your favorite sports game with each of your buddies taking control of a single player for the season, you know how rewarding and fun this sort of setup can be. Again, it's only possible on a Sony system, and in the next-generation the only place to find multiplayer support of this kind will be on the PlayStation 3.

Reason #5: The HD IP Camera
The EyeToy is one of the all-time most successful peripherals released for a console for a number of reasons -- the biggest being that it works phenomenally well in its simplicity. The PlayStation 3 will see the release of the HD IP camera, which we'll assume will be called the EyeToy 2, or at least something that sounds a little more consumer-friendly.

The camera features a native HD resolution, allowing you to transmit crystal-clear images to the PS3 for online play and more. And with the increased resolution and the PS3's processing power, the camera will allow for even more advanced, yet natural, input with the system. Take that, Microsoft and Nintendo! Plus, being that it's IP-based, the camera's functionality ties directly into Internet use, allowing you to transmit feeds over the Intarweb with ease.

Reason #4: Full Backwards Compatibility
360 will let you play Halo and whatever other games Microsoft chooses to eventually support, but Sony has the PSOne and PS2 library covered, save for a few minor exceptions. Imagine booting up Tobal No. 1 just because you feel like it or taking on Shattered Soldier because you haven't gotten your ass kicked enough lately. That's what PS3 can do for you.

The coolest part is that PS3 may also be able to enhance the older games. Much in the same way PS2 improved PSOne games with better texture filters and enhanced load times, we expect PS3 games to add even better texture filtering, quicker loads, full scene anti-aliasing graphics and goodness knows what else.

Reason #3: Stronger Japanese Developer Support
One of the PlayStation 2's most powerful allies in the current-gen console wars was its strong relationship with fan favorite Japanese developers. Square Enix, Konami, Capcom, Bandai, Atlus, Nippon Ichi, and Namco (among others) each offered unique content for Sony's system that you weren't going to find anywhere else. Tekken, Final Fantasy, Ace Combat, Devil May Cry, and a host of other games are just a few examples of this successful relationship... and none of them ever came out for the Xbox.

More importantly, though, the companies above supported the PS2 more heavily than they did other systems as a general rule -- and when you consider that all of the above names have already signed on for one or more projects in the first year of PlayStation 3 alone, that support is obviously going to continue. In fact, nearly 100 games were already announced by Japanese studios at or around this year's Tokyo Game Show -- which exponentially more than the confirmed Japanese titles available for the 360. And let us not forget that Sony's own internal Japanese studio isn't too bad itself.

Reason #2: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Remember when we said that the Xbox 360 doesn't have a killer app yet? Well the PlayStation 3's Metal Gear Solid 4 is definitely a killer app. Game creator Hideo Kojima has shown time and time again that he knows how to craft an excellent videogame, and after witnessing the impressive real-time demonstration of Guns of the Patriots (and its accompanying trailer) at TGS this past September, we're already convinced that the PS3 will be capable of some amazing things. A great pedigree plus great technology? Sounds good to us!

Reason #1: The Blu-ray Player
Sony and Company's next-generation disc format has yet to see the light of day in its final form, but the pure technology behind the format is immensely promising from both a gaming and general entertainment standpoint. We're talking 45GB of storage space here, more than 4x the space than the 360's DVD format can muster.

More storage space means more room for content which helps widen the possibilities of the PS3's power. Who needs a next-gen system if you run out of content space on your media (and keep in mind, Microsoft has no plans to incorporate HD-DVD or anything like it)? Blu-ray's transfer rate is also quite quick, and though the PS3's actual drive speed hasn't yet been announced, speedy load times should be on the horizon. And with all of the studio support that the Blu-ray Disc Association has garnered, it's sure to be one hell of a next-gen home video format. In short, the PlayStation 3 will have the most advanced storage medium of any game system on the planet.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:37 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
fuck it, i'll get em all.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:41 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,232 Likes on 822 Posts
<----ps3
Old 11-22-2005, 11:45 AM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none of those reasons were even any good. I wonder if i can find a rebuttal argument
Old 11-22-2005, 11:48 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evilstorm
none of those reasons were even any good. I wonder if i can find a rebuttal argument

Its just a biased editorial
Old 11-22-2005, 11:49 AM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Blu-ray is the only one of those I care about at all.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:49 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
that's great and all but....

a. when is it coming out??

b. how much is it gonna cost??
Old 11-22-2005, 11:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I've been a PS fan since day one and have only owned that system since it came out. XBOX never did anything for me the second I put the controller in my hands. Some of those comments above are false, especially the one about the PS2 making PSone games look better and load faster. PSone games look an load the same way they do on PSone, unless I missed something. I did not pre-order PSone or PS2, I actually got them when they were already quite old, but I may pre-order PS3 depending on its initial price and launch titles.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:59 AM
Yeehaw

Originally Posted by cmark
that's great and all but....

a. when is it coming out??

b. how much is it gonna cost??
Sony says 'less than a year' and between $300-$400.

I'm guessing this time next year, maybe a little later, and $399.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by pebecl97
I've been a PS fan since day one and have only owned that system since it came out. XBOX never did anything for me the second I put the controller in my hands. Some of those comments above are false, especially the one about the PS2 making PSone games look better and load faster. PSone games look an load the same way they do on PSone, unless I missed something. I did not pre-order PSone or PS2, I actually got them when they were already quite old, but I may pre-order PS3 depending on its initial price and launch titles.
Yes, the the PS2 does make PS1 games look better. Before firing up your PS game, in your actual console settings, you can change how it renders the PS1 game and load speed...RTFM, dude...
Old 11-22-2005, 12:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by BEETROOT
Sony says 'less than a year' and between $300-$400.

I'm guessing this time next year, maybe a little later, and $399.

Supposedly "Summer 2006". We'll see.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Yumchah
Yes, the the PS2 does make PS1 games look better. Before firing up your PS game, in your actual console settings, you can change how it renders the PS1 game and load speed...RTFM, dude...

Interesting. Ah well, I got rid of all my Psone games, except Metal Gear Solid.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:08 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
...but then again I will have a stand-alone HD/Blu-ray DVD player by then.
I never used any of my gaming consoles to watch DVD's.

More than likely I will get both the Xbox 360 & PS3.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by pebecl97
Interesting. Ah well, I got rid of all my Psone games, except Metal Gear Solid.
Ah. Give it a try! It's not like world-shifting improvements, but it's definitely noticeable as it smooths the polygons and etc.

It definitely made FF9 look purdier when I romped through the game.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:20 PM
Yeehaw

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
...but then again I will have a stand-alone HD/Blu-ray DVD player by then.
I never used any of my gaming consoles to watch DVD's.

More than likely I will get both the Xbox 360 & PS3.

I've never used my consoles for DVD either, but I'd expect the first stand alone blu ray players to cost upwards of a grand... so I'll probably wait for the $400 ps3.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:24 PM
The hair says it all

some were good, some were weak, like the backward compatability. i promise by the time ps3 comes out they will support everyhing
Old 11-22-2005, 12:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,248 Likes on 5,212 Posts
this list is nothing more than a biased editorial, as someone said. still was somewhat entertaining to read.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Python2121
some were good, some were weak, like the backward compatability. i promise by the time ps3 comes out they will support everyhing
I thought I read somewhere recently that the PS3 is NOT going to be 100% backwards compatible with older games..
Old 11-22-2005, 01:57 PM
'07 November = STI

im buying the xbox right now.. but ill buy the PS3 when FFVII.. or GT5 comes out
Old 11-22-2005, 02:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Some tidbits on pricing and release ETA from Sony CEO: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=13145
Old 11-22-2005, 03:21 PM
04 remembrance

My 360s coming a week before Christmas.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:31 PM
Pink as a pistol

The launch of the 360 is the deja vu of the illfated dreamcast. It is happening all over again... Lack of DVD support is the main reason why Dreamcast lost to PS2. Microsoft is making the same mistake. Now it seems like Blu-Ray is winning the battle against HD-DVD. There is no way Microsoft would win the market share unless Microsoft introuduces a cheap Blu-Ray player before the PS3 launches. The launch of Halo 3 is not going to kill the PS3, to me Halo 3 is like Shenmue for the Dreamcast; a last ditch effort to save the console.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:40 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Hondan53
The launch of the 360 is the deja vu of the illfated dreamcast. It is happening all over again... Lack of DVD support is the main reason why Dreamcast lost to PS2. Microsoft is making the same mistake. Now it seems like Blu-Ray is winning the battle against HD-DVD. There is no way Microsoft would win the market share unless Microsoft introuduces a cheap Blu-Ray player before the PS3 launches. The launch of Halo 3 is not going to kill the PS3, to me Halo 3 is like Shenmue for the Dreamcast; a last ditch effort to save the console.
Why not just cut & paste the other thread?
Old 11-22-2005, 03:40 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^

It doesnt matter. People are going to buy the 360 no matter what. Its new, its hot, and like everything else, there are die hard fans of the system. Most people will never use all the capabilities of the system anyways. PS3, when it comes out, will do well also for the same reasons. It built a fan base and people will stay loyal to it.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:20 PM
Senior Moderator

But, you do know that the DC was an excellent product, right?
To this day, I still have one and play it regularly. Great underated machine...
Old 11-22-2005, 04:31 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
I can only agree with 2 of their 10 points.

Blu-Ray and import games do matter.

Too bad my TV doesn't support 1080p.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:32 PM
Senior Moderator

totally agree - and I was never a fan of DC.. but I ended up buying one just for Virtua Tennis and Soul Calibur. I think Soul Calibur is still one of the finest looking and playing fighters, even today. Stellar graphics.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:35 PM
MSZ
Lola

DC rocks, especially if you are a shmups and 2D fighter fan.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:05 PM
Pink as a pistol

Oh yeah, I love my dreamcast as well, I am still playing Soul Caliber, Shenmue and Pez on it. If you remember, before PS2 came out, Dreamcast machines were flying of the shelf, and it single handedly beat out both Nintendo 64 and PSX.

However, at such a high price, Dreamcast is a gamer's console, and it did not compete well against PS2 which is a multimedia game console. At the launch of PS2, although priced same as the Dreamcast, the PS2 was probably the cheapest DVD player you can buy.

The lack of support for the next gen media (aka the DVD) is one of the major reasons for the ultimate demise of the Dreamcast. It looks like everything is happening again with Xbox 360.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:07 PM
Go B's Go

about the pre-ordering of a system...lets say i pre order 10 ps2s all from different stores in the area, id go and collect them all on the release date and sell every one of them except for 1 on ebay. prices for the 360 are ranging at like 800-1200 dollars a piece, would this work?
Old 11-22-2005, 06:33 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,869 Likes on 1,427 Posts
....so, for sure... they are doing the "blue ray" thing with PS3? Or is that just "on the drawing board?"
Old 11-22-2005, 06:53 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by is300eater
....so, for sure... they are doing the "blue ray" thing with PS3? Or is that just "on the drawing board?"
For sure. Blu-Ray is Sony technology that they will push with the PS3.
They would be stupid not to.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:58 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,869 Likes on 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
For sure. Blu-Ray is Sony technology that they will push with the PS3.
They would be stupid not to.
okay, then my next question is... what's the starting price point for a "stand alone" Blue Ray DVD player? And what's going to be PS3's price point?

which one's going to come out first... I know the Blue Ray's already out, right? But isn't it really expensive?
Old 11-22-2005, 07:12 PM
MSZ
Lola

Originally Posted by is300eater
okay, then my next question is... what's the starting price point for a "stand alone" Blue Ray DVD player? And what's going to be PS3's price point?

which one's going to come out first... I know the Blue Ray's already out, right? But isn't it really expensive?
PS3 will cost about 50000 to 53000 yen. A stand alone BR player probably costs twice as much.

Sony just announced they have finished authoring a full length movie on a prototype BR disc last Saturday.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
playstation is supposed to be way overpriced at launch due to the bluray drive
Old 11-22-2005, 08:54 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by FiftyFive
playstation is supposed to be way overpriced at launch due to the bluray drive
I think $400 for the X360 is pretty overpriced as well....
Old 11-22-2005, 09:10 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Why? Like the DVD player in PS2, the Blu-ray player in PS3 will be ass.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:13 PM
The Creator

I disagree.

PS2 was in the right place at the right time with it's DVD player. Just as DVD took hold of the mainstream...

Blu-ray? You & I crave it... but does your mum know what it is? Does little johnny down the street give a crap? Nope.

I really don't think Blu-ray is going to make a bit of difference to the average consumer, at least out of the gates. Maybe 2-3 years down the road... it will keep PS3 selling strong while 360 fizzles... but doesn't Microsoft claim to have another console up their sleeves?
Old 11-22-2005, 09:14 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by soopa
Why? Like the DVD player in PS2, the Blu-ray player in PS3 will be ass.
The DVD player is the XBOX sucked ass as well and you had to pay extra for it...... Plus the PS2 DVD player was actually fine until progressive scan players came out.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:15 PM
The Creator

Yes, DC was one of the best consoles ever. Probably the most revolutionary.

The first with online access, the first with an innovative controller (sorry PS2 controller fan boys... it's nothin' special)...

I love my DC to this day, I wish there were more titles for it.

Quick Reply: 10 Reasons to wait for the PS3...