Need a VERY skilled Honda/Acura tech in Chicago area. Any recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 04:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Need a VERY skilled Honda/Acura tech in Chicago area. Any recommendations?

I have been trying to diagnose a surging issue with my 08 TL-S 6mt. I have done everything I possibly could on my own with no luck. A couple local dealers had no luck either. I want to keep this car but really want to fix the issue. Does anyone know of a very good mechanic/technician in the Chicagoland area that knows Honda's/Acura's like the back of his head? preferrably west/southwest of Chicago would be preferred.

Thanks for any helps.

James
Old 06-19-2011, 01:25 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
what problems r u having?
Old 06-19-2011, 02:26 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Rajca
what problems r u having?
The car does not have smooth acceleration. Its pretty shaky feeling mainly felt in 2nd and 3rd gears. Full throttle is perfectly fine its during normal acceleration. The best way to describe this feeling is like the surging you feel when your a/c compressor kicks on and off, like a sudden loss of power then kicks back in. Seems to be a little more pronounced in the hotter outside temps, but it was felt when it was cooler out as well. No check engine light, fuel economy is still very good and the car drives perfect in every other aspect. Again, this is while accelerating with the car completely in gear and foot off clutch. I always use high quality premium fuel as required, only use correct weight motor oil and oem filter. I have tried diagnosing it as much as I can. I have tried new IAT sensor, APP sensor, MAP sensor, new plugs, coils, new air filter, cleaned throttle body (which wasnt even dirty). Motor mounts were inspected, tried driving with knock sensor unplugged, 02 sensors unplugged, EGR unplugged (all individually) to see if the car felt any different and it did not. I also ran a few gallons of 100 octane race fuel to eliminate knock or detonation and that didnt change anything. The dealership cant find anything wrong even though the techs have admitted to feeling the surging. I have test driven other 6spd manual Type S's and they were perfectly smooth. The surging is driving me nuts to the point where I am looking for other Type S's. I truely want my car fixed, but I have done everything I can myself and I have no clue what it is. Only things left I can think of are fuel injector or fuel pump issues, defective ECU...
Sucks that the car is under warranty but there is nothing I can do. Just wondering if there is a highly skilled Honda/Acura tech in the area that I can take for a ride to get some more ideas.

Thanks,
James

Last edited by JTS97Z28; 06-19-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:17 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
What dealership did u take it to? I got a friend that's a master tech at a dealership. Know his stuff and hpefully will know ur problem. If their is any other 6spd owners that u know and are friends with, try swapping ecu's with em. Try disconnecting the battery and do the relearn procedure. I know that on the 2nd gen cl/tl if u have air in the cooling system it will give u some ideling problems untill the system is purged of air
Old 06-19-2011, 09:10 PM
Safety Car

The car has been to Continental Acura in Naperville and Joe Rizza Acura in orland park twice each for a total of four visits. Where does your friend work?
As for the purging my idle is perfectly smooth and idle re-learn procedures have been done.

Thanks,
James
Old 07-10-2011, 05:55 PM
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 20 Posts
Try Acura of Libertyville - ask for Bruce (master tech to work on it). You'll have to schedule through Matt (if you speak to Amanda ask for Matt and not Jason).

I hope you get it figured out man.