Your opinions on the Hyundai commercials

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 12:16 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your opinions on the Hyundai commercials

Do you like the various Hyundai commercials?

1. Hyundai Santa Fe vs. Land Rover
(Bad comparison because that's not even the new Land rover discovery 3 (LR3) )
2. Hyundai Sonata vs. BMW 525i
(Yes save $20K, but who would compare these 2 anyways)
3. Hyundai Azera vs. Lexus LS460
(Yes save $30-40K and can get valet driver to parallel park your Azera instead of the LS460 parking itself, but again who would compare these 2 anyways)
Old 06-20-2007, 12:47 PM
Racer

I like them, but agree that consumers shopping for a Lexus aren't even considering a Hyundai. It's more aimed at making customers checking out Hyundais, Hondas, Toyotas, etc. feel better about their decision to buy a Hyundai.

I'm also of the opinion that the gap has closed between higher-end cars and lower-cost cars in terms of features & amenities, and innovations. You can find many of the same time of features & innovations on a Hyundai that you can on a Mercedes. 10 years ago it seemed you had to buy a Mercedes or BMW to get heated seats, brake-by-wire, multi-link suspensions, etc. Nowadays innovation is really only getting you a 7-spd transmission (overkill IMO), Park Assist, speed-distance control, lane departure warnings, etc. Mostly useless junk if you have any ability to drive a car.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:58 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
The commercials are really more aimed that the target buyer who can think to themselves, "Wow...and to think all those people paid that much more and only got a car as good as this." Good marketing gimmick, but it can only go on so long before it looks silly.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:10 PM
Race Director

The other part is that BMW stopped making the 525i anyway so they should at least stop airing that one. I have never seen the one comparing it to the LS 460 but sounds dumb to me.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
They annoy the shit out of me. Compare a Sonata to a BMW? PLEASE. They are not in the same class. Of course it would be cheaper to buy a Sonata....

I mute and/or change the channel when Hyundai (and Kia) commercials come on. They freakin piss me off.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:43 PM
Drifting

Either they're underestimating the general population's awareness, or general population is really unaware.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:44 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
They annoy the shit out of me. Compare a Sonata to a BMW? PLEASE. They are not in the same class. Of course it would be cheaper to buy a Sonata....

I mute and/or change the channel when Hyundai (and Kia) commercials come on. They freakin piss me off.
I think you're completely missing the point of the commercials.

Hyundai is not trying to lure away buyers from BMW and Lexus. I mean, if that actually happened, then cool. But the target demographic is very similar to those of the Accord, Camry, Altima, etc.

You shouldn't advertise where you are, but where you want to be. That rings true in this case. Hyundai is trying to move upmarket with new models, and simultaneously, Hyundai wants their target demographic to feel confident about their decisions about purchasing a Hyundai product.

If Hyundai comapred the Sonata to the Geo Metro, then nobody's going to have confidence in Hyundai. The reverse comparison would of course, bring the opposite effects. Hyundai and the Silverman firm know that BMW owners sitting in their luxury laz-boy with a matching ottoman would chuckle at the commercial. They don't care; they are not trying to sell Hyundais to BMW customers. They want the average middle class Joe feeling good about his purchase, and/or have confidence in Hyundai and go out and buy one.

You may mute the TV when the commercials are on, but most people will go "No shit? Maybe I should go check it out."

May was the best selling month for Hyundai. Obviously the commercials are working.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:51 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts

You can't please anyone.... marketing is what it is. Either it works or it doesn't.

After the previous 2 Super Bowls I checked out godaddy.com even though I had no idea what the hell the website was about.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:03 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
VW is taking aim at the 525 these days as well.

Get your shots in while you can since the 528 is on its way if not out already.

I love the commercials. The LR is a POS IMO anyway. I'd likely take a Sante Fe over one and would no doubt take a Veracruz.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:18 PM
Yes it is!

I actually find the Hyundai commercials amusing, but for some reason the Ford Edge commercial with the two guys going on about how it out accelerates a BMW X5 really annoys the crap out of me.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:19 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Actually, come to think of it, didn't MotorTrend do a comparo of the Veracruz and the Lexus RX350 which the Veracruz won?
Old 06-20-2007, 02:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Actually, come to think of it, didn't MotorTrend do a comparo of the Veracruz and the Lexus RX350 which the Veracruz won?

Yes! The Veracruz won by costing less and having more bang for the buck. The fit and finish still needs to improve but overall Hyundai has come a long way in the american market.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:05 PM
Advanced

hyundai has come a very very very long way...

the fact is, there is a thread here about their marketing...that alone means the ads were a success....

its all about awareness...and the marketing is actually pretty clever IMO...i like em...
Old 06-20-2007, 06:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
Funny thing I thought of starting a thread like this.My opinion is kinda mixed on these commercials.First part of me says that it's good that a company like Hyundai came a long way before becoming truly recognized as a good car company with good products like the Sonata,Santa Fe, Veracruz and Azera.Second part of me thinks that it's just stupid to make comparaisons like this a 5-Series against a Sonata??? That's gotta be a joke...but hey don't they say that imitation(Comparison in this case) is the sincerest form of flattery?
Old 06-20-2007, 06:56 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx

(Yes save $30-40K and can get valet driver to parallel park your Azera instead of the LS460 parking itself, but again who would compare these 2 anyways)
I don't think they are serious ... Their point is that if you want luxury you don't have to dream about a $60k car ... You can get it at $30k ...

Now, whether or not you believe it's the same thing is kinda irrelevant. We're not the target audience of that commercial because we already know what an Azera is and isn't
Old 06-20-2007, 07:01 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
I thought they were terrible commercials until I actually spent some time in a new Hyundai. It was friggen suite.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:15 PM
06 GBM AT TSX + 35% TINT

I think Hyundai commercials are plain dumb. But I'm pretty sure they designed to give bragging rights to current/future Hyundai owners, nothing else.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:31 PM
I shoot people

Received 3,050 Likes on 1,481 Posts
Originally Posted by Deity711
but for some reason the Ford Edge commercial with the two guys going on about how it out accelerates a BMW X5 really annoys the crap out of me.

the one where they drive up and it's like a "secret meeting"? it's pretty

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx

but as for the Hyundai comparison commercials goes... I really don't think they're suppose to be serious comparisons... they are just simply trying point out the features and ablities of their cars... by grabbing the viewers' attention.... and they have.

with that said... and I've said this many times... I have a client who owns an ad agency and he tells me that... at anytime, when an ad or commercial is talked about, be it positive or negative... it's done it's job... cuz people will remember the product... and that my friend, is the main objective to any ad or commercial... Those commercials may annoy you... but even you, yourself, remember all the comparisons... so somewhere... there's a group of people, like the ad agency responsible for those commercials... high-five-ing each other
Old 06-20-2007, 08:30 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think it's a smart marketing strategy. when genesis v8 comes out they should directly compare genesis to s600, bentley flyng spur or even maybach.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:43 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hyundai buyers

1. value oriented
2. underdog mentality
3. probably won't drive lexus, bmw, and land rover

hyundai is targeting those value minded buyers and they are just reinforcing their current brand identity=a great value.

and when tibby RWD turbo comes out, they should directly compare the car to porsche, m3 and etc because comparing directly to neon SRT 4 or mazdaspeed 3 won't do them any good. veracruz already beat RX350 in motortrend comparo, so they should compare veracruz to x5, audi, and MB
Old 06-20-2007, 09:11 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by chungkopi
i think it's a smart marketing strategy. when genesis v8 comes out they should directly compare genesis to s600, bentley flyng spur or even maybach.
I wouldn't go that far. Although I would seriously consider the Genesis if the production model looks anything like the concept.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:43 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
I think you're completely missing the point of the commercials.

Hyundai is not trying to lure away buyers from BMW and Lexus. I mean, if that actually happened, then cool. But the target demographic is very similar to those of the Accord, Camry, Altima, etc.

You shouldn't advertise where you are, but where you want to be. That rings true in this case. Hyundai is trying to move upmarket with new models, and simultaneously, Hyundai wants their target demographic to feel confident about their decisions about purchasing a Hyundai product.

If Hyundai comapred the Sonata to the Geo Metro, then nobody's going to have confidence in Hyundai. The reverse comparison would of course, bring the opposite effects. Hyundai and the Silverman firm know that BMW owners sitting in their luxury laz-boy with a matching ottoman would chuckle at the commercial. They don't care; they are not trying to sell Hyundais to BMW customers. They want the average middle class Joe feeling good about his purchase, and/or have confidence in Hyundai and go out and buy one.

You may mute the TV when the commercials are on, but most people will go "No shit? Maybe I should go check it out."

May was the best selling month for Hyundai. Obviously the commercials are working.
people got to listen little more rather then just being an ignorant.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:44 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
I wouldn't go that far. Although I would seriously consider the Genesis if the production model looks anything like the concept.
little too far comparing it to s600 but I really think that this car is going to suprise whole lot of people.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:35 PM
04 remembrance

The comparisons in my opinions are to imply that Hyundai's car/SUV are a great "smart" alternative to those that are in the market for the displayed competitions.

Can't afford 5 series? Go with the Sonata, it's just as roomy, comfy, blah blah..

Everyone knows that the Sonata isn't on par w/ the 5; Sante w/ Range; Azera w/ LS, but it's definitely a good pitch.

Last edited by iamhomin; 06-20-2007 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:17 AM
Chloe @ 17mo

I don't like the commercials. I understand the reasons behind the commercials, I just don't like the execution, nor the products.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:03 AM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
The commercials are designed to create exactly what's going on here.... Controversy. They generate interest in the product and that's exactly what they're looking for.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:29 AM
I shoot people

Received 3,050 Likes on 1,481 Posts
Originally Posted by Gfaze
The commercials are designed to create exactly what's going on here.... Controversy. They generate interest in the product and that's exactly what they're looking for.
just to quote myself here...

Originally Posted by is300eater
with that said... and I've said this many times... I have a client who owns an ad agency and he tells me that... at anytime, when an ad or commercial is talked about, be it positive or negative... it's done it's job... cuz people will remember the product... and that my friend, is the main objective to any ad or commercial... Those commercials may annoy you... but even you, yourself, remember all the comparisons... so somewhere... there's a group of people, like the ad agency responsible for those commercials... high-five-ing each other