Your opinion on the Nissan 350Z needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 11:01 AM
Lots of JDM parts on my

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you have a "good" Nissan dealer in your area?

I had nothing but bad experiences w/ Nissan service. That was one of my deciding factors in selling the car.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:45 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cusdaddy
Terrible Traction in winter: I get around fine in Northern CT every winter with my 350Z and a set of Blizzak's. It has a LSD and a great weight distribution. The only issue is that the stock tires are summer tires. Not meant for winter driving. Get a proper set of tires and it's fine.

No trunk: Looking at the back of my car, I see a trunk. Is it large? No, but it is competitively sized in it's class. It's significantly larger than an S2000's trunk

2 Seater: And your point is? It's a sports car.

Overpriced: I got my 350Z with all of the necessary options new for $28,500. That's far from overpriced IMO. Yes, if you want the Track model, you pay for it, but the car is competitively priced compared to it's compeition. It's sales figures speak for themselves.
i agree with your logic, in the fact that each person has their own opinion about what they want in a sports car. all im saying is that if you want a practical sports car the 350z isnt going to be your choice.....i mean if you want to talk about cars in its class lets look at the STi or EVO.... both boast near 300, AWD seats 5 adults and has trunk space for just about any of your daily needs....the 350z has enough trunk space for.....well maybe a set of golf clubs. not to mention that the 350z has horrendous blind spots all over the car, making it hard to see when merging into other lanes...its worthless bridgestone tires that will last maybe 2000 miles with its 160 tread wear.

other than that i agree the 350z is a perfect sports car, but nothing more than that.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:52 AM
Racer

and also what do you mean by "necessary options" cup holders? my friend bought his 350z NO options what so ever, cloth seats, terrible audio system (my corolla's stock system is better) and plastic in every place they could put some....not to mention the car doesnt even have a glove compartment the car ended up costing him 26,500 before taxes
Old 12-16-2005, 11:59 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Originally Posted by zeroday
an 04 GTO? the 05's are selling like hotcakes. it'll be a dime a dozen car in no time.
Limited production numbers tell adifferent story.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:30 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 1killercls
Well trust me if they could sell more GM would make more, especially now, but if they aren't selling as well as i've heard it's probably due to interior and exterior styling which isn't very impressive.

the point is, if it's an affordable car and it isn't selling so much that it's 'a dime a dozen', it's because there's something wrong.

if that's what you want, more power to ya
Old 12-16-2005, 12:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by fedor corolla
i agree with your logic, in the fact that each person has their own opinion about what they want in a sports car. all im saying is that if you want a practical sports car the 350z isnt going to be your choice.....i mean if you want to talk about cars in its class lets look at the STi or EVO.... both boast near 300, AWD seats 5 adults and has trunk space for just about any of your daily needs....the 350z has enough trunk space for.....well maybe a set of golf clubs. not to mention that the 350z has horrendous blind spots all over the car, making it hard to see when merging into other lanes...its worthless bridgestone tires that will last maybe 2000 miles with its 160 tread wear.

other than that i agree the 350z is a perfect sports car, but nothing more than that.
I'm not trying to sound like a 350Z cheerleader as I've had a number of problems with mine, but the Evo and STI are not for everyone.

Styling: IMO, both the Evo and STI look horribly ugly. Styling means a lot to many people including myself.

AWD: The STI and Evo come with summer tires. AWD doesn't do all that much in the snow with those tires. In addition, not everyone wants AWD. It hurts fuel economy, puts more wear and tear on the driveline and it's just not as fun to drive. Being able to hang out the tail in a RWD car is priceless.

300hp: Yes, both the Evo, STI and Z have similar power, but thos other two don't have anywhere near the torque of the 3.5L VQ.

Trunk space: I can fit 2 sets of golf clubs in the Z with the bags. It's not huge but it doesn't need to be for a 2 seat sports car.

Blind Spots: I don't have any large blind spots in my Z. Proper mirror arrangement is all you need. Ask most Z owners and they will say the same thing. My 2003 Accord is actually worse in some respects (has smaller side mirrors)

Tires: My front tires have been replaced due to the allignment issue, but I have 33k miles and I am still on my first set of rear tires (due to be replaced very soon). Far more than 2000 miles than you state. Any performance car will have tires that have a high tread wear. The Evo and STI are no different.

If all these so called benefits mattered to most consumers, why are the 350Z's sales significantly higher than the Evo and STI combined?
Old 12-16-2005, 12:40 PM
Suzuka Master

I was thinking more along the lines of a GTO or something similar.
The 2004 GTO didn't sell well because it wasn't a very good car. It had boring styling, a high initial price, a Pontiac badge and and so-so performance (handling, brakes and the LS1). Overall, it was a fairly mediocre car.

The 2005 GTO sells much better because Pontiac made a number of significant improvements. They improved the styling (hood scoops, dual exhaust and bigger rims go a long way), and the performance (LS2, new brakes and improved handling).

The 2005 GTO is a performance bargain now and a much better car. For my next car, I wouldn't even consider a 2004 GTO, but the 2005 is something I would consider.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TEH Z YO
Do you have a "good" Nissan dealer in your area?

I had nothing but bad experiences w/ Nissan service. That was one of my deciding factors in selling the car.
I was lucky. My local Nissan dealership was actually excellent in regards to service. For the past 15 years or so, they got Nissan's top award for quality.

I've had a list a mile long of problems with my Z, but the dealer made it pretty painless to deal with.

One thing I learned from the entire experience is to never buy an early first model year of a new Nissan product.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:18 PM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
The 2004 is a waste of money when you can get more power for essentially the bargain with an '05. The '04s litter lots here in Florida and can be had for $20k everywhere. In fact, before I bought my G, I drove a new '05 GTO and could have gotten it for $33.5k o/t/d with all the options including an aero package. They had 6 of them on the lot: 2 yellow, one black, two red and one silver (3 autos, 3 sticks). If they are in such demand, they aren't that way here with them coming BELOW invoice without even blinking. The GTO forums are having people getting the '05s $2,500 below invoice with little haggling...

My opinion is an S2k rides much better than the G as a daily driver, but to make it fun, you gotta keep it high in the revs--a la rx8. I would prefer it to the 350z if I needed a 2 seater car, but requiring toting a kid, and more importantly, two golf bags every now and then, the G was the way to go.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:19 PM
Bagged hybrid

One thing I learned from the entire experience is to never buy an early first model year of a new Nissan product.
Or an acura either (i.e. 2001 CL). Luckily, I pretty much tore apart the Z and replaced many parts so I havent had many problems (gas tank level issue, bad oil pressure sensor, and some rattles).
Old 12-16-2005, 04:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TT Z YO
Or an acura either (i.e. 2001 CL). Luckily, I pretty much tore apart the Z and replaced many parts so I havent had many problems (gas tank level issue, bad oil pressure sensor, and some rattles).
I bought a 2001 CLS and had transmission issues so I didn't learn then.

My Z had the 6-speed transmission replaced, rear axle replaced, front tires replaced twice, window grease issues, front drivers seat that had to be bolted down again. It is a blast to drive, but I'm glad my car is a lease
Old 12-16-2005, 04:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,099 Likes on 5,171 Posts
you don't want my opinion.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:20 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
The 2004 GTO didn't sell well because it wasn't a very good car. It had boring styling, a high initial price, a Pontiac badge and and so-so performance (handling, brakes and the LS1). Overall, it was a fairly mediocre car.

The 2005 GTO sells much better because Pontiac made a number of significant improvements. They improved the styling (hood scoops, dual exhaust and bigger rims go a long way), and the performance (LS2, new brakes and improved handling).

The 2005 GTO is a performance bargain now and a much better car. For my next car, I wouldn't even consider a 2004 GTO, but the 2005 is something I would consider.
Bingo!
Old 12-17-2005, 12:32 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
I bought a 2001 CLS and had transmission issues so I didn't learn then.

My Z had the 6-speed transmission replaced, rear axle replaced, front tires replaced twice, window grease issues, front drivers seat that had to be bolted down again. It is a blast to drive, but I'm glad my car is a lease
wow, that's a lotta shit! man, i would have a hard time recommending that car to anybody if i had to go thru that. Even though it's covered my the warranty who the hell wants to go through the annoyance?
Old 12-17-2005, 12:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Loseit
wow, that's a lotta shit! man, i would have a hard time recommending that car to anybody if i had to go thru that. Even though it's covered my the warranty who the hell wants to go through the annoyance?
Every one of the issues I experienced - the transmission, front tire allignment, axle, window grease were fixed by the either late 2003 or 2004.5+ model year Z. Moving forward, while the car is not perfect, these issues have no appeared for most. I got stuck in the situation because I got a really early first model year version. Buying a used 2004+ Z should be fine.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:21 PM
oct
Cruisin'

nissan is the ford of japan
Old 12-17-2005, 07:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts

The 04 had true dual exhaust also
Old 12-17-2005, 10:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
The 04 had true dual exhaust also
not a visual dual exhaust. Even though it had a dual exhaust, it was only on one side and looked like a single exhaust to most. My point was that visually the 2005 model looked superior from the back with the exhaust on both sides.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
u are a moron. Where do you get this from?

Originally Posted by oct
nissan is the ford of japan
Old 12-18-2005, 01:13 PM
Senior Moderator

I have an '03 Z, no issues except for the feathering. After an alignment, I've had absolutely no issues. The main problem with the feathering is that people kept on going for an alignment, but the feathering kept on coming back. Nissan figured out what was going on, the specs were wrong, and then corrected the problem. If people are still getting feathering, they are not getting an alignment up to spec.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by synth19
I have an '03 Z, no issues except for the feathering. After an alignment, I've had absolutely no issues. The main problem with the feathering is that people kept on going for an alignment, but the feathering kept on coming back. Nissan figured out what was going on, the specs were wrong, and then corrected the problem. If people are still getting feathering, they are not getting an alignment up to spec.

Yea but you have like 5k miles after 2 years.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:48 PM
Senior Moderator

^ 16k jerk.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:34 PM
My Member is Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for all of your opinions everyone. The reason that Iwas initially looking at this car was because of performance and price, but from what I'm seeing there are definite quality issues in the years that I was considering. ('02-'03) Certainly the '04 is the way to go here. As far as being only a two seater, little trunk space? Harsh ride quality? I thought that's what a sports car was.

The '98-99 BMW M3 is still in the running, but it is hard to find one that has not been abused, they are money pits, and have moderate performance in the straights.

The '99-02 Corvette is also in there pricewise now, 25K can buy you a nice 5.7 liter.

So that's where I am. I liked the handling of the M3 alot, I'm sure it's close with the Z car. The Vette felt big and had "clunky" type construction but it was fast as hell.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Can get a used Z-6 for around 25-30k.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:18 PM
Senior Moderator

*z06
Old 12-18-2005, 08:33 PM
Drifting

My friend has one-i thought that it was cheap, poorly done and basically a rattletrap. I drove it and was not impressed. Everything friggin rattles on that car-i would hate to be in an accident. Not to mention it sucks ass in the snow and rain
Old 12-18-2005, 10:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ZtotallynakedZ
My friend has one-i thought that it was cheap, poorly done and basically a rattletrap. I drove it and was not impressed. Everything friggin rattles on that car-i would hate to be in an accident. Not to mention it sucks ass in the snow and rain
I never understand all the hate towards the Z.

The car has a very stiff suspension, hence the rattles. Actually, even though my Z has had it's fair share of problems, it rattles less than my CL did when I had it suprisingly.

Interior rattles have nothing to do with safety. Actually, the Z scored 5-stars (top grade) in safety pretty much in every area from the NHTSA which is excellent. Safety is excellent.

In regards to snow, it is RWD and the tires. Why would you be riding around in the snow with summer tires? With snow tires as I mentioned earlier, the performance is fine. I get around fine in CT in the winter with my Z and snow tires. In the rain, it is no different than any other RWD sports car. Don't drive like an idiot and you would have no problems
Old 12-18-2005, 10:53 PM
Drifting

There are better cars out there for that price range
Old 12-18-2005, 11:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

There are better cars out there for that price range
like what?
Old 12-19-2005, 11:15 AM
Drifting

M5, M3, 540, A4, S4, SLK 230, Miata, RX-7, RX-8, G35, s2000
Old 12-19-2005, 11:29 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
This is also on my list right now, along w/ the Magnum RT, STi, Evo, and G35C, used E46M3 or used M5. I tested the G and Z a few months back and wasn't that impressed. The G felt heavy, the Z was a lot of fun but I felt clausterphobic (sp?) and I couldn't deal w/ the lack of trunk room. Not that the G was any better though.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:37 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
M5, M3, 540, A4, S4, SLK 230, Miata, RX-7, RX-8, G35, s2000

you are an idiot
Old 12-19-2005, 11:44 AM
Drifting

care to explain why? Maybe you have heard of this great place called ebay-would you like me to post all the listings for these cars within his price range?
Old 12-19-2005, 11:50 AM
Drifting

Or are you just a Z lover, despite its crappy service record and overall dissapointing car? Yes, the Z is a great car, if you modify the crap out of it. I wouldn't mind having a heavily modded one, but not as my daily driver-its record speaks for itself
Old 12-19-2005, 12:08 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Not a Z lover at all, but you act like none of those other cars aren't problem getters as well.

Let's see, an used M5 will still cost you 40K if you want one in good shape, the cars will also be out of warranty if you are looking for one that cheap, so be prepared for high costs

M3? Which one? Obviously not an E46. 540? not one in decent shape. Let alone the car isn't even in the same class as most of the stuff you've mentioned.

RX7? Yea, let's throw in a car that stopped production in 1995 into the mix. Let alone a car that has to have af ull motor rebuild every 60K.

RX8? Driven one? Didn't think so, otherwise you wouldn't put it up here either.

A4 S4 But still out of his pricerange unless he wants an older turbo'd version but then he will expect just about as many problems as have been reported w/ the Z.

THe SLK230 may be the funniest one yet.

Btw, what do you drive for a daily driver? The Z's rap sheet isn't really that bad, every car has issues, Acura isn't out of that league. That said, I know many people that daily drive 350Z's w/o an issue, I also know a few that have had problems. Same goes w/ all the acura's here. Hell my family has 5 new 7 series BMW's around, 2 of them have been lemoned, another is in the shop every other month, 1 has had misc shit go wrong, another has been trouble free. But yes, BMW obviously makes shitty cars

And there is a brief partial answer to my comments of you being an idiot.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

care to explain why? Maybe you have heard of this great place called ebay-would you like me to post all the listings for these cars within his price range?
dude, please do show me a 03-05 M5 that costs 25k....id be really interested. Some of the cars in your list aren't even in the same class as the 350z A G35?! - great car, but its not the hard edged 2 slick styled 2 seater that the 350z. An Slk230? gimme a break. Not to mention that you talk about the "poor" reliability of the 350z - dude please compare the reliability of the z to the a4 and then get back 2 me.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:13 PM
teh Senior Instigator

good to know i'm not the only one that can see this kid is a complete idiot
Old 12-19-2005, 12:14 PM
Race Director

i third that motion
Old 12-19-2005, 12:25 PM
Drifting

m5 was on ebay, from Flemington, NJ. Buy it now of $25,000. It was in great condition, it was a 2001, and im looking for a 2002. I doubt its still posted. If i recall, someone previously on this thread posted about a G35, there were 4 or 5 G35 for sale on Autotrader. There is an E46 for sale from UUC for $26,000. There is a E36, 400 hp, for sale for 24ish. Somebody asked if there were better cars under $25k, and yes, there are. You guys just don't know where to look...there is no reason to buy a crappy car, when there are plenty of gorgeous cars out there, that are reliable and still fast. The SLK isn't fast, unless you do some mods, and i was in one that would make you crap your pants. Same with the Miata. Most of those cars I have either driven or been in one, and they were quick, with mods.

Last edited by ZtotallynakedZ; 12-19-2005 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:35 PM
Race Director

yeah im sure that 26k e-46 is gonna be a peach. same with that m5. get real.

Quick Reply: Your opinion on the Nissan 350Z needed