Your Opinion on Hyundai

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 10:05 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Cary
You are correct the word jap is deragatory and I shouldn't have used it. You say I used it repeatedly? I believe I only mis-used this word one time. I spent 6 months in Japan and I have only affection for the Japanese people.

You said:
Secondly, ISO does mean something. You don't have the slightest clue what goes into achieving ISO certification if you're spitting out statements like that. For the record, the domestics aren't the only ones striving to be ISO-certified. Mercedes and Jaguar plants in Europe are ISO TS 16949-certified and are praised for it.
Well I see we have someone here who is sold on ISO. I agree in the concept of ISO if it is used properly. I personally have much more experience than you give me credit for although I am not an expert by any means. I have personally been in no less than 100 factories, almost all of which cater to the auto industry, and almost all of which have ISO certification. I see this from a different perspective than you, I actually repair the machinery. I see the products, and have been involved in the calibration of their processes and equipment. When I mentioned ISO is crap I guess I didn't mean it from the auto manufacturer plant perspective but from their many suplliers of parts that they use to make the auto. I have personally been involved in process of becoming ISO certified, and it is mainly a paperwork nightmare. ISO audits are paid for, YOU CAN CHOOSE YOUR AUDITOR. What does that tell you??? It means you find the auditor that passes anyone and you fly them in! I have seen it done!! OVER AND OVER! Where does that leave your precious ISO certification smartass? Looks good on paper, and sure we all want it, but it has turned into something other than what it was meant for. Pretty sad.
You're right. It really doesn't mean anything. That's why auto companies try so hard to achieve certification.

I also work in an OEM manufacturing environment. But I'm not in the same line of work as you are. Yet it has afforded me the opportunity to have seen the amount of work that goes into getting a factory to certification level. It's not as easy-sailing or crooked as you make it out to be. I think the problem is that you are being extremely negative about it, whereas I'm coming in from the other end of the spectrum. Perhaps it's due to the fact that you're talking in terms of, and based on your experience with the suppliers, whereas I'm coming from the OEM level. Now I'm not denying that there have certainly been cases of abuse. I'm sure you've experienced or witnessed them; you've been to more factories than I have. But still, I just think your opinion is overly negative toward the entire ISO system, which my experience (relatively lower compared to yours, it seems) tells me otherwise.

In either case, there are thousands of factories out there that are ISO 9000 or similar certified. But there are extremely few out there that are TS 16949 certified at the moment. Perhaps ISO 9000 and similar certification has become so commonplace that it has lost its face value in the eyes of the customers, but TS 16949 is a different story. Still, I wouldn't disregard ISO certification altogether.

Why? Simply because it is the worldwide operating standards. It's better to have it than not, and when some of the largest and best OEM manufacturers are striving to achieve certification, they aren't wasting all those hours, money, and manpower on something of little or no value.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hyundai have invested heavily in R&D and their Quality Control, the Santa Fe was what turned Hyundai around and their goal is to compete with Honda in Reliability and performance as well as market shares, i think they're doing it fairly good. If i have to buy a Hyundai, i wouldn't mind.