Your Opinion on Hyundai

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 01:45 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Your Opinion on Hyundai

I know it seems odd to bring this up but I personally think Hyundai has made huge strides in the past six or seven years. Their cars have gone from to . Just look at the new Sonata, Santa Fe, and Azera. Their quality is way up, too. Just my .
Old 01-17-2007, 02:23 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Their 3.3L V6 is extremely high maintenance, requiring a $1k valve adjustment every 60k miles. Spark plugs are difficult to get to as well.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm not feeling them yet. I had to drive a co-workers XG350 that I know is a couple of years old, but I hated every bit of that car for the 10-12 hours I was in it.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Close but no cigar...

I rmember when Hyundai came out in 86... they were awful back then...

But they have come along way, to the point where I think the Sonata is a great looking car..

I wouldn't buy one or recommend one tho', as you can get a better product with a better resale value for a little more pricewise from Toyota or Honda
Old 01-17-2007, 08:18 AM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
I think Hyundai's made great strides at improving the quality of their cars, while still allowing them to be sold at reasonable prices. I notice a huge difference between models of late (past few years) and Hyundai from the 90's.

I strongly believe that their weakest point is brand image, and trying to convince everyone that their cars are worthy. To me, that's their biggest hurdle in getting people into their cars. Most people will turn away at the thought of a Hyundai before even stepping foot into one, and that's a major problem for them. IMO, one of the few major reasons for people to buy a Hyundai right now is simply because you can find some affordable cars loaded with features, not as much because they are getting a good, quality car....they're just getting a lot for their money. IMO, that needs to change and Hyundai needs potential customers to feel like they're getting more than a good package --- they're getting a great, quality, solid car.

I sense that in ten years of constant improvement and evolution, Hyundai will be a much more serious competitor against the more trusted brands. I think their build quality, technology, and materials will only continue to improve.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Agreed with Street Spirit.

Santa Fe its pretty damn hot.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:38 AM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the new Santa Fe, but I'm still not sure about long term reliability of Korean cars vs. Japanese cars.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
I like the new Santa Fe, but I'm still not sure about long term reliability of Korean cars vs. Japanese cars.
Half the "Japanese" cars are now built in the U.S. anyway. Very few are actually built in Japan anymore (which does seem to make a noticeable difference). The only ones that I can think of off the top of my head are some Mazdas and Subaru.

My bet is, eventually Hyundai's cars will be put together more precisely due to their high-tech factories, compared to the stuff being thrown together in the States.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:52 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
Half the "Japanese" cars are now built in the U.S. anyway. Very few are actually built in Japan anymore (which does seem to make a noticeable difference). The only ones that I can think of off the top of my head are some Mazdas and Subaru.

My bet is, eventually Hyundai's cars will be put together more precisely due to their high-tech factories, compared to the stuff being thrown together in the States.
That's why whenever I shop for a car I try to see where it's assembled
and the Vin #.

Glad the TSX is Made in Japan, but mine has rattles, oh well. Never owned an Acura TL, but I heard the assembly is a hit or miss. People said that since it's assembled in Ohio it's quality isn't as good as Japan. Personally, unless there are massive recalls and defects, I assume Honda/Acura US plants have great Quality Assurance compared to GM plants.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:11 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I'd have no problem buying a Hyundai today. But I agree with SS about their perception problem. Where I disagree is where I think Hyundai stands today. Their interior quality is IMO better than most other brands out there including Toyota and some Honda's. The Sante Fe has it all over the new CR-V and Rav 4.The new Veracruz was beutifully put together. That SUV was one of my surprises of the Detroit show.

Hyundai is now also officially bigger than Honda. They'll be passing others in under 10 years IMO.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:27 AM
Drifting

they've got an unbeatable warranty, and i don't even think they make xg350's anymore. the azera's are pretty awesome and i test drove the sonata and it's very peppy, surprisingly. I don't think I would mind buying one if I was looking for an economical choice and in recent years, they've actually placed I believe it was top 5 for reliability.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
The wife and I have actually discussed (several times) buying a Hyundai Sonata when her 1994 Camry dies as our "beater" car. Beater may not be the right word, but the Camry is the car we take to malls during the holidays, the airport, the city, etc... basically any place where it could get dinged but we won't care if it does... and I wouldn't think twice about the new Sonata as a replacement for that car. It looks nice, drives pretty nice, is cheap, gets good mileage, and has a great warranty. Seems like a good deal to me!!
Old 01-17-2007, 10:41 AM
A clean ride is in

Originally Posted by SodaLuvr
Their 3.3L V6 is extremely high maintenance, requiring a $1k valve adjustment every 60k miles. Spark plugs are difficult to get to as well.

Is this their only V6???
Old 01-17-2007, 10:47 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by treyster
Is this their only V6???

No, the Azera, Entourage and now Veracruz use a 3.8L.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:17 AM
Vroooooom....Vrooooooom!!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
My wife bought a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe a year before we got married. I was hesitant with her decision at first, based on Hyundai's past history. She now has about 60,000 on it and it has been rock solid. We've haven't had it in the shop for any issues since the day she bought it. Fit and finish is above average and it is quiet (no rattles etc).

While I would never trade my 2005TL 6SP for a Hyundai, I cannot say Acura has Hyundai beat with their initial quality and fit and finish. I had my Acura in the shop about 5 times after I purchased it to fix rattles, defective battery, rattles, defective bluetooth module, rattles, warped rotors (with only 500 miles on the odo), rattles, squealing brakes, oh and did I mention rattles? Well the rattles are still there and I don't think they are going anywhere, but you get the picture.

Many build problems with my Acura, none (that I can see anyway) with the Hyundai Santa Fe. All that being said, I still wouldn't give my TL up for a Hyundai.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
How is their service/sales depts?
Old 01-17-2007, 11:37 AM
On the way!

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
That's why whenever I shop for a car I try to see where it's assembled
and the Vin #.

Glad the TSX is Made in Japan, but mine has rattles, oh well. Never owned an Acura TL, but I heard the assembly is a hit or miss. People said that since it's assembled in Ohio it's quality isn't as good as Japan. Personally, unless there are massive recalls and defects, I assume Honda/Acura US plants have great Quality Assurance compared to GM plants.
FYI - all 5 speed transmissions in the TL were built in Japan. It's only recently that they've started building them over here.

Country of origin does not dictate quality. Design and quality control do.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:41 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
once upon a time, honda and toyota were in hyundai's shoes, both in perception and quality.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:44 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by ThePianoMan
My wife bought a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe a year before we got married. I was hesitant with her decision at first, based on Hyundai's past history. She now has about 60,000 on it and it has been rock solid. We've haven't had it in the shop for any issues since the day she bought it. Fit and finish is above average and it is quiet (no rattles etc).

While I would never trade my 2005TL 6SP for a Hyundai, I cannot say Acura has Hyundai beat with their initial quality and fit and finish. I had my Acura in the shop about 5 times after I purchased it to fix rattles, defective battery, rattles, defective bluetooth module, rattles, warped rotors (with only 500 miles on the odo), rattles, squealing brakes, oh and did I mention rattles? Well the rattles are still there and I don't think they are going anywhere, but you get the picture.

Many build problems with my Acura, none (that I can see anyway) with the Hyundai Santa Fe. All that being said, I still wouldn't give my TL up for a Hyundai.
Well, this is the same perceptions that a lot of American car buyers have, it's all about brand name and past car company history. Acura is premium entry level luxury brand and has the Honda reputation for reliability and value.

Still wonder how the Japanese shrugged off the crappy build quality history of the 1960's and 70's Japanese cars and became popular and trusted car manufactuer in 80's, 90's and currently.

Seems the Koreans are having a more difficult time removing their bad build quality perception from the 80s. Yes, they build better cars now, but the ghosts of 20 yrs still haunts them unlike the Japanese.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:47 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my opinion on hyundai might be a bit biased because i'm korean.

i've been proud of hyundai for making better and better cars over the past ten years. i think they've come a long way, and it makes me even prouder when i read stellar and strong reviews of their vehicles now.

personally, i think the sonata and santa fe look very nice. the interiors for the sonata, santa fe, and azera are a bit bland, but they're clean and simple. i think hyundai's trying for a conservative approach with designs right now. but they still look good. i'm sure eventually, they'll be willing to take more risks with designs, and in the future, the interior will be more refined as well.

i agree with streetspirit that brand image is the main hurdle for hyundai. but hopefully, in the next ten years, that will be less of a problem. people forget what kind of cars honda and toyota made when they started out. so to see how far hyundai has gone in the last 10 years is amazing. maybe they're still behind japan's big 3 in terms of sales or quality, but they're making moves.

i certainly wouldn't have a problem with buying a hyundai now. i think in a few years and when i'm married, i'll definitely be open to it.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:51 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by synth19
How is their service/sales depts?
I bought my wife a 2002 Santa Fe. We have had it for almost a year. Had it in the shop once and it was just a fuel problem. Fixed under warranty with no questions asked. We drove the Santa Fe from Vegas to San Antonio straight through and it drove very well. Its only the 4 banger so that could be one reason I am not completly happy with it, but we got a good deal on it. It has really been a great car. I would buy another one. Everytime I have had to deal with the service department, they have been very nice and very helpful. 24-48 hours after you get your car back, they call you to see if its running well and to see how you were treated.

I was VERY skeptical about getting the Santa Fe. I told my wife, if it lasts a year, then great. Because thats all I really wanted to keep it for because of the history of the name. My ONLY complaint is the gas mileage. But im sure that has a lot to do with the 4 banger being in that heavy of a vehicle.

I know a few people that have the new sonatas and absolutely love them. For the price of the Hyundais and the warranty, they really cant be beat.

As for the new Santa Fe's, I have yet to drive one, but they look great....

for Hyundai..
Old 01-17-2007, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by dom
Their interior quality is IMO better than most other brands out there including Toyota and some Honda's.
I have been reading a lot lately about Hondas in particular having a lot of squeeks and rattles (reading owners' complaints). So I don't doubt that Honda isn't as meticulous as they used to be. Hyundai's interiors might be put together more pricisely or with better care, perhaps, but I still find their interiors quite outdated, plain, and lacking personality. IMO, that's definitely something they need to work on. Just about every other car manufacturer seems light years head in this department. They just need to add character to the interior, especially the gauges and HVAC (from the cars I've seen).
Old 01-17-2007, 05:20 PM
Hooksta

I think perception and resale value are Hyundai's weak spots still. Like many that have posted here, I believe they have their act together now. In fact, a frugal person (not many to be found on an Acura forum I wouldn't think) that is looking for bang for your buck might very well opt for a 2 year old Hyundai.

I remember back in the early 90's when leasing really started getting popular. I went to a Hyundai dealer and they told me something like "We here at Hyundai don't believe in leasing because we feel our cars are value priced in the marketplace." I can't remember the car I was looking at, I remember it was kind of sporty looking and only cost about $11,000. HOWEVER, when I looked up the value of a two year old version of the model (which I did), it booked for $3,700 or something like that.

The reason Hyundai didn't lease then was because that $11,000 car would have had a zero down and a $300+ payment for a two year lease. So my girlfriend at the time (now wife) went and leased a $18,000 Mazda Miata (which held good resale then) for $1,000 down, $199 a month. Total payment was $211 a month for convertible sports car. Mazda let us drop it off 36 months later with 35,450 miles on it and we said "Thanks for the ride...it was fun."

You typically have to have good resale value to get a good lease!
Old 01-17-2007, 08:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I am Korean.. but I don't like their names -_-;;

Hyundai means now/present/today.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:52 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
No, the Azera, Entourage and now Veracruz use a 3.8L.
Check this out:

I'm unaware of issues with the new Hyundai lambda series V6 motors, but they've only been in world distribution for a year and a half. The good news? They use a timing chain. The questionable news? They use solid lifters that have to be replaced outright (not shimmed) when valve clearances wear beyond factory tolerance. It's a labor intensive proposition since the camshafts have to be removed for access - which means the main timing chain has to come off, too. Hyundai's service manual calls for checking valve clearances at 60,000 mile intervals. Checking isn't as involved as replacing, but if any variances beyond spec are noted, cha-chinggg...

(Goodness, isn't it nice that Hyundai did away with essentialy maintenance-free hydraulic valve lifters and quiet, cogged timing belts? What the heck were the Koreans thinking?...)
Old 01-17-2007, 09:18 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by yohan81718
I am Korean.. but I don't like their names -_-;;

Hyundai means now/present/today.

Actually, it means modern.

now = 지금 ji-gum
present = 현재 hyunjae
today = 오늘 oh-nul
Old 01-17-2007, 09:28 PM

Didn't you post last time that it meant "Harmony"?

Ten different translations of Hyundai?
Old 01-17-2007, 09:33 PM
Dragging knees in

Hyundai's quality has vastly improved. First place IQS by J.D. Powers, first place quality award by Autobytel, 10th best plant in North America out of 70+ in its first year of operation, etc, etc. Overall quality rating is at number 3, behind Porsche and Lexus. This means that Hyundai's quality is number 1 in the non-luxury segment, ahead of Honda, Toyota, and your other favorite companies. Hyundai is also now the 6th largest automaker in the world, ahead of Honda and Nissan. Only GM, Ford, Toyota, VW and DCX are bigger than Hyundai-Kia AG and that's going to change very very soon. Hyundai will be in the top 5 in the not so distant future.

The Alabama plant is the most technologically advanced plant in the world. Everything is high-tech, automated stuff and it doesn't allow errors. Parts suppliers have developed a module assembly system alongside Hyundai to improve quality and lower defects.

All of the shit that goes into improving quality at Hyundai is amazing. That is why Hyundai keeps getting all these awards. People who don't accept it are the people who just refuse to face the fact. I'm not saying you have to like Hyundai cars or buy one. I'm talking about the people who refuse to accept the Hyundai of today, which is vastly improved from Hyundai of yesterday.

And this is directly tied with brand image. It's just something that Hyundai will have to get over as time passes by. But remember that Honda, Toyota and all other foreign companies went through the same thing, even BMW and Benz. People who say shit like "fuck Hyundai, Honda all the way" make me laugh. They forget that their fathers said the same thing just a couple of decades ago about Honda. "Fuck Honda, domestic all the way," which by the way is still the favorite slogan of some people today. Then again, some people will just never learn.

I'm not necessarily just defending Hyundai. Yes, I am. But my key point is that you have to be open minded and give credit to each car company. After all, every company playing in the North American market is obviously big enough to play with the big dogs. There are many other companies who attempted to get a slice of the pie here in the U.S. but failed and had to pack up and go home.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:34 PM
Dragging knees in

Didn't you post last time that it meant "Harmony"?

Ten different translations of Hyundai?
No, that's the meaning behind the design of the logo.

The meaning of the actual word "Hyundai" means modern.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:46 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Actually, it means modern.

now = 지금 ji-gum
present = 현재 hyunjae
today = 오늘 oh-nul
you are right...its not now, or today!! it means present. I love how you used korean to explain it to him. hehehe!
btw,I'm korean as well.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
well.. yes the word "moderm" fits better.. guess i couldn't come up with better vocabulary
but it's not wrong to say the other 3 as well..
Old 01-17-2007, 11:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx
you are right...its not now, or today!! it means present. I love how you used korean to explain it to him. hehehe!
btw,I'm korean as well.
well, he just mentioned it means more of 'modern', not 'present'. While 'present' or other two might work too, 'modern' is closer by far.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:56 PM
04 remembrance

Great cars, but I still wouldn't buy one as there are many other vehicles that are far more appealing than a Hyundai.

I would buy it for my kids in the future however, since it's cheap/reliable.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:56 AM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
man, a lot of koreans are here?
Old 01-18-2007, 11:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by Hooksta
I think perception and resale value are Hyundai's weak spots still. Like many that have posted here, I believe they have their act together now. In fact, a frugal person (not many to be found on an Acura forum I wouldn't think) that is looking for bang for your buck might very well opt for a 2 year old Hyundai.

And to elaborate on my first post in here... this is exactly what we would do if we bought one. We would never buy brand new.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:15 AM

I just checked out the local Auto Show last night, where I took a closer look at Hyundai again. I was pretty impressed with the Azera and Santa Fe!! The fit and finish, as well as materials felt very good. The gauges and illumination colours on both cars, but most noteably on the Azera, still don't feel up-to-date with current trends and appearances though. I'm not fond of the Azera rear-end either.

For some reason, the other Hyundai models didn't impress me nearly as much.....they felt cheaper, less attractive, and IMO needed updating on the inside. I wish I was more impressed with the Sonata, as the price range is a little closer to what I would spend on a Hyundai (or any car) vs. the Azera.

Pricing here is great for the Santa Fe! The Azera has lots of standard options, but is a little more money, starting at ~$34,495 for the base model, and $37,495 for the premium here.

I'm planning on taking out the Azera to see how it drives, just out of curiosity. But I give them a definite after having checked them out pretty extensively last night.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
^^^^^^^^^

My dad did that a little while ago and said it was pretty nice. Too bad he didnt tell me he was going to check it out .

I was pretty impressed when I test drove the Sonata (twice). Not super keen on the interiors they have, but they are not bad and I am sure they will only continue to get better.

Last edited by West6MT; 02-23-2007 at 07:30 AM.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:32 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

The fit and finish, as well as materials felt very good.

Told ya.

Was the Veracruz there?

Details about their V6 engine requiring expensive maintenance has me worried though.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by dom
Told ya.
I just wasn't very impressed with any of the other models every time I've gone to the dealer to take a closer look, Sonata included (which would the the main competition for the other cars I've been looking at). The Azera and Santa Fe stood out as being much better put together with better materials, for some reason. So my thoughts on their other models still stand: Good value, but they are still light years behind in terms of interior aesthetics and in some cases, materials, fit, and finish too.

I do remember seeing signage about the Veracruz....but don't remember much else.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:48 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Sonata interior materials >>>> Camry/Altima IMO

Not layout or design, just materials and build quality.

Quick Reply: Your Opinion on Hyundai