Yet another 04 TL review

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 09:45 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yet another 04 TL review

Had a service at PAA last week and was greated with a 04TL. I spent the entire day and about 90miles in local and highway driving.

SOUND
The bass is excellent however It doesn't sound as clean as the CLS in the mid to high range. I might not be expressing it correctly but i've noticed the same thing in the TSX.

SURROUND SOUND

Absolutely fantastic. I went out and got the Led Zepplin live concert CD and it was amazing. Listen to the front and you hear the band. Turnn your head to the back and you hear the crowd clapping and cheering. I didn't hear the same problem with the weak mid and high range. Perhaps it's something with the content or the tuning of the amp for different formats??

XM

Loved it. The loaner only had a few of the stations available to listen to but not having to listen to commericals was a great change of pace. Also because we drive a good distance and having the same content available was excellent

ENGINE

Same engine but minor tweaks are definite. Smooth all the way to redline and good pull down low. The engine note is more refined that the stock CLS. I have to believe it's because of the modification they did to the airbox.

TRANSMISSION

Well. Leaving the car the AT mode allows the shifts to be pretty solid. MT mode is nice but the car jerks when you shift at high RPMS. The redline is a solid 6900. I know in the CLS it will allow you to go past but in the TL 7000RPM and you would hit the rev limiter. It seems if they have change the shift method as well. There is a very soft engagement initially and then hard engagement. Nothing out of the ordinary. Most Slushboxes behave in a similar fashion. There is also a distinct delay in the shift input and change of the gear.

ERGONOMICS

Layout of the HVAC and Radio controls are so very inutiative and easy it's great just to sit down and drive without having to memorize where everything is. Other cars like the Mazda 6 are an absolutely horror.

Seating was definitely different. The car feels smaller and it carries over to the seats. The cushioing is more firm than usual....more german. I thought the seat was smaller but once i got back into my CLS they were approxmiately the same size. I think it must've been a firmer less thick cushion that was causing the difference in feeling. The seats are adjustable and offere an air lumbar support.

The telescoping steering wheel gives many options. What is there to say except, FINALLY.

HANDLING

Excellent job. I've very very impressed after having driven the TLS. The car is very neutral in the corners and balances very well. The ride is more firm than the second generation but not kidney jaring, going over bumps and the back end losing grip stiff.

LITTLE TOUCHES

Turn signal stick doesn't have a double hitch. Very soft confident feel.

Oil life indicator Pretty cool.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great review... 3 of my good friends have the new TL (all 3 are the 6-speed manual) so I have spent quite a lot of time both driving and being driven in the car.

I have to say I think Acura did an outstanding job with the TL. I really am a big fan of the car. I like the outside styling, the interior styling and feel is excellent and the ride is a great mix of comfort and sport. It's a comfortable, lux and quiet car that has a nice sporting edge.

When my Z's lease is up, I'm definitely considering the TL as a replacement, but IMO, it really needs AWD. FWD just doesn't cut it any longer for cars of this power. With the 6-speed, torque steer is not only annoying but at times dangerous as it really pulls in one direction at times.

I think a 6-speed, AWD and 3.5L swap (from the MDX) would make the car a far out class leader.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:40 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice review zap. I had a TL for a day from PAA as well and it was a real great ride.

The XM worked for you? I was playing with it but i couldn't find a channel that worked.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:57 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I also had a TL as a loaner for a couple of days (nice service advisor let me hold onto it over the weekend). I agree with everything zapata had to say. The only parts I didn't like about the TL were the soft steering and the rear visility, otherwise, it's an awesome whip. If i had the extra money, I'd be in a TL right now.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:18 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Zapata
TRANSMISSION

Well. Leaving the car the AT mode allows the shifts to be pretty solid. MT mode is nice but the car jerks when you shift at high RPMS. The redline is a solid 6900. I know in the CLS it will allow you to go past but in the TL 7000RPM and you would hit the rev limiter. It seems if they have change the shift method as well. There is a very soft engagement initially and then hard engagement. Nothing out of the ordinary. Most Slushboxes behave in a similar fashion. There is also a distinct delay in the shift input and change of the gear.
The jerking and delay you describe is from the drive-by-wire throttle system. Between shifts the throttle is closed. This should greatly reduce the wear on the clutch packs that us 2nd Gen 5AT owners are so familiar with.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:29 PM
Outnumbered at home

How come I always get a damn rsx (base model) as a loaner

Nice review zap
Old 01-03-2005, 12:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by 95gt

Nice review zap

I'm assuming you go to Norris Acura West?

Even when I lived 2 miles from there I took my car to Tischer. Night and day difference. Tischer has only TSX and TL loaners. Some with navi.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:35 PM
Outnumbered at home

Originally Posted by mrsteve
I'm assuming you go to Norris Acura West?

Even when I lived 2 miles from there I took my car to Tischer. Night and day difference. Tischer has only TSX and TL loaners. Some with navi.

Tried both, actually at tischer i got a rental car. Now that neon just hurt my pride. Though it did make me appreciate my CLS all the more.

I think it is just my bad timing as every time I go in the guy in front of or in back of me gets a tl.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:39 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Yes, i was suprised. SHAWD is necessary and Acura already has plans on releasing it across the board. A definite step in the right direction and can only mean good things for the next coupe.

Originally Posted by cusdaddy
Great review... 3 of my good friends have the new TL (all 3 are the 6-speed manual) so I have spent quite a lot of time both driving and being driven in the car.

I have to say I think Acura did an outstanding job with the TL. I really am a big fan of the car. I like the outside styling, the interior styling and feel is excellent and the ride is a great mix of comfort and sport. It's a comfortable, lux and quiet car that has a nice sporting edge.

When my Z's lease is up, I'm definitely considering the TL as a replacement, but IMO, it really needs AWD. FWD just doesn't cut it any longer for cars of this power. With the 6-speed, torque steer is not only annoying but at times dangerous as it really pulls in one direction at times.

I think a 6-speed, AWD and 3.5L swap (from the MDX) would make the car a far out class leader.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:39 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

The jerking and delay you describe is from the drive-by-wire throttle system. Between shifts the throttle is closed. This should greatly reduce the wear on the clutch packs that us 2nd Gen 5AT owners are so familiar with.

Ahhhhhhh :idea: thanks
Old 01-03-2005, 12:41 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally Posted by Chaptorial
Nice review zap. I had a TL for a day from PAA as well and it was a real great ride.

The XM worked for you? I was playing with it but i couldn't find a channel that worked.

yea it did. Only a few stations though. Very enjoyable.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts
...same deal with the TBW in my 02 Maxima.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:36 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 95gt

Nice review zap

my dealership usually loans out RSX's but since they were milking me for $500+ for a 60K service, I asked for a 2005 RL but the service advisor said "how about a 2004 TL instead?" i was to say the least. no "loaner car" sticker on it. navi system. 6000 miles on the odometer.