Yamaha YZF R6 vs. Honda 600RR vs. Suzuki GSXR

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 08:34 AM
Best in da Burgh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yamaha YZF R6 vs. Honda 600RR vs. Suzuki GSXR

getting my motorcycle license the beginning of august nad i'm debating between the three mentioned above. i went to all three dealers over the weekend, sat on all the bikes, talked to the sales reps, and discussed financing. the YZF R6 seems to be a little lighter even though they are all pretty much the same weight. the GSXR 600 felt the heaviest and the 600RR was in between. all three bikes ride pretty much the same according to a buddy of mine. my original choice was the YZF R6 because when i sat on it and it was the most comfortale and seemed to fit the best. it is the most expensive of the bunch but Yamaha has the best financing. i am going to pay for half of it in august but the rest i'll finance for 60 months to keep my payments below $100 a month.

anyone out there ride any of the three listed above that can give e some pros and cons of either/all the bikes? all help would be appreciated.

later
Old 06-08-2004, 10:52 AM
2nd Gear

go for the R6!

i currently own a 2002 r6 and 2002 gsxr 600 and i have to say go for the r6. it is light, quick, and agile. i also think it looks a little better than the gsxr600. the r6 is a great overal bike, however, if you're looking for a "trick" bike to do wheelies, stoppies, etc, i would go for the gsxr 600. the gsxr feels a little heavier and the balance point is really easy to find (so you can hold your wheelies longer).

is this going to be your first bike? i've never ridden the rr but i'm assuming it is very similar to the cbr. i' started riding on the cbr f2 and i'm glad i started on the cbr. it is much more forgiving than the r6 so if you make any errors, the bike will compensate a little bit. the r6 and gsxr are much more responsive.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:50 PM
Burning Brakes

R6 baby .. all the way... mean leaning and xcellent control even on hi speeds.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Also ... screw dealer and gettin new.. unless u got money to burn. I suggest Cycletrader.com ..... amzaing deals and good bikes. I got mine from there 2 yrs ago.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:02 PM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What year GSXR 600 are you talking about? The 2004 GSXR is really good. If you can wait I would go for the 2005 R6. It’s supposed to have inverted forks and radial mount breaks just like the Kawasaki 600 and the GSXR 600.

Have you ridden street bikes before? If not I would suggest getting something used because you are going to drop your bike. It’s not a matter if but when it’s going to happen. Maybe start with an F4i or an SV650. Great starter bikes and when the new R6 comes out you can snatch that up and you will have some experience under your belt.

I have been riding for 16 years and now currently own a Yamaha R1. Believe me start with a used bike.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:41 AM
2nd Gear

Donte is right, start with a used bike because you WILL drop your bike. Even though you could be the most careful rider (I think I'm pretty safe) there are SO many careless drivers out there! I wrecked my first two bikes because of idiot drivers cutting me off.

Also, cycletrader.com is a great source for finding bikes. I have never and will never buy a brand new bike. Most people buy bikes as toys and therefore they don't rack up that many miles. I would rather save the couple grand and get a 5k mile bike.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bigken620
Donte is right, start with a used bike because you WILL drop your bike. Even though you could be the most careful rider (I think I'm pretty safe) there are SO many careless drivers out there! I wrecked my first two bikes because of idiot drivers cutting me off.

Also, cycletrader.com is a great source for finding bikes. I have never and will never buy a brand new bike. Most people buy bikes as toys and therefore they don't rack up that many miles. I would rather save the couple grand and get a 5k mile bike.
I completely agree with getting a used bike. I wished I could've done that when I got my ZX6R
Old 06-11-2004, 07:09 AM
Best in da Burgh

sounds good guys, thanks a lot. i think i'm going with the R6 but i will look for a used one when the time comes. if the dealer still has some in stock i might go with them because they will take care of it and they know the bike then. unless i buy a used one through the dealer...ah we'll see. i've been on cycle trader many times but there are not many bikes available in PA.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:36 PM
HMFIC

I have a 2001 R1 and a 2001 ZRX1200; used is the only way to go. Even if you are an experienced rider (15 years riding and an MSF instructor), used is the way to go. Newer and better bikes come out every year and since they are so cheap, people have to have the newer, better models. You can steal 2 year old bikes for 60% of thier original cost.

Those bikes are all great, I would go with the R6. For a new rider throttle response is very important. The GSXR has a very light throttle return spring that can result in more throttle than you want and the Honda is a little jerky coming back on the throttle as you start to corner; every R6 I have ever rode is smooth as silk.

Cheers,
Old 06-19-2004, 02:44 PM
Instructor

I just got back into riding and bought an '04 gsxr600.....gsxr>all. i'm looking forward to finding an aprilia rsv1000r though
Old 06-19-2004, 04:15 PM
What your problem is?

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Yop, Ruf... how much did the gsx600 cost ya? I am also looking for a bike, but I was thinking used and also what year do you guys recommend?? I have been told to stick to the 98 and above year bikes for the suzukis and 2000 and above for CBR's any truth to this????
Old 06-20-2004, 05:53 PM
Instructor

Get something with fuel injection. The carbs are too much of a hassle during the winter and jetting is a pain.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:43 PM
Instructor

i paid 7400 for my gsxr600, brand new '04 which is the new body style...all i can say is the new model handles SOOOO much better than the previous model.

they prob told you that because of model changes and improvements. so yea, the newer models are much better improved. i've ridden hondas, yamahas, kawa, suzukis, ducs, aprilias....my favorite to ride are suzukis and aprilias, that's why i own them now. ducatis are the most uncomfortable...if u look at the seat alone, man. yamahas are good track bikes but street, they feel a bit more rough than suzukis...as far as rideability...the 600rr would be my last choice.

all I can say is if this is your first bike, you're gonna drop it at least 3-4 times. get FRAME SLIDERS. balance and coming to a stop is the hardest thing about riding a bike at first, IMO.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:37 AM
Best in da Burgh

Thanks for all the comments guys. I'm buying a 2004 GSXR 750 this Saturday. I was at the Suzuki dealership this weekend and discussed a whole lot of concerns with the salesmen while my father was with me. My pops has rode a Harley for 20 years so I take his word on bikes over the dealers in a second. The salesmen is giveing me a $500 Shoe helmet, Joe Rocket jacket and a pair of gloves for free and taking the sticker down to 9 even. I think I got a deal but I haven't done the paper work yet. I put a refundable deposit down on the bike so I can claim it when I'm ready. I'm having it delivered since the dealership is an hour away; that way I'll feel more comfortable riding in my neighborhood at first instead of on the highway. So it seems all good! I'll let everyone know!!! Later
Old 06-22-2004, 10:19 AM
What your problem is?

Congrats, Blackened.... Hope you have fun with your new bike. I heard the '04 GSX750 has the BEST brakes out of all the bikes on the market even better than the liter bikes. That is a really good bike and your lucky your getting it new. I am a begginer so i know I will drop the bike (I have numerous times before) so my ass will stick to used bikes.

RUF, the suzukis are not reliable??? is this true?? cause if that is the case then I am going to eliminate the suzuki from my potential and stick to the yamahas and the cbrs.... I heard the Kawasakis are not cool cause of the instrument layout and also the yamahas exhaust onto your legs.... Man, I am confused.... i can't really go and test ride all the bikes since i have barely started riding and I don't want to drop someones bike.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:50 AM
Instructor

man...you guys who are getting bikes...please please please read this:

http://www.gixxer.com/ubbthreads/sho...b=5&o=&fpart=1

suzukis are unreliable? that's news to me. never had problems with mine. maybe the people you talk to need to maintain their bikes better.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:31 PM
Best in da Burgh

Originally Posted by RUF 993TTR

suzukis are unreliable? that's news to me. never had problems with mine. maybe the people you talk to need to maintain their bikes better.

yeah seriously...i'm taking the motorcycle safety course at the end of july. i used to ride dirt bikes, but my last time was when i was 14 or 15. since then i haven't been on a bike. i'm looking forward to riding again but a little worried about the other assholes on the road. i know i can handle the bike but the other people that don't see me are the ones that worry me. a gentlemen that i work with just passed the motorcycle safety course about three weeks ago, bought a shadow and has almost dropped it three times. he is doing a lot of highway and back street driving. i'm gonna stick to my neighborhood for a few weeks before i hit the "real" road. i know i haven't been on a bike in like 10+ years so i'm gonna be learning all over again. the feel of it all will hopefully come back quickly, but i'll take my time. i've wanted my own bike again for years now and since i finally have someone to ride with (roommate) i'm taking the dip. he passed the course last fall but hasn't been on a bike since. there is a high school only 2 or 3 miles from my house where i can ride to and begin learning again.

it not a matter of "if" you'll have an accident, it's a matter of "when" and if your prepared for it.

wish me luck and safety! i'll be back on the road in no time, hopefully!!
Old 06-22-2004, 01:14 PM
Instructor

good luck man. welcome to the gixxer family. which shoei helmet are they giving you? it has to be either the X-Eleven or the Z-Two or a designed RF1000. Also, do you like the joe rocket jacket? Is it a summer riding jacket? If so, you should also check out alpinestar's. It's got the hard shells inside. I wear an Icon Neo for the colder days. Make sure you put those framesliders on the bike before it gets ridden though. Get the OEM Suzuki ones, the aftermarket ones cannot compare. Also, what color did you get??? The new gixxer line's colors are NICE esp the yellows Also, if you check gixxer.com you can see what kind of pricing people are getting on their new gixxers these days.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:54 PM
Best in da Burgh

got the yellow bro. i want the shoei in yellowand black, but i'm not sure which model it is and the joe rocket is all yellow as well; the phoenix 3.0. i want to be seen, for safety reasons of course!

framesliders? the little knobs that stick out and protect the body molding?

i'll try and work everything into the deal this weekend. the sales guy seemed willing to deal on either the bike or the equiptment so i'll try my best to not pay for a damn thing but the bike. that's my goal at least. the bike was going for 9500 but i could get him down to 8500 without saying anything, but the extras add up really quick. i'll let everyone know this coming monday once i's all complete.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
i would have recomended test riding the few you liked to see which one you liked the best. out of all that i tested i liked the honda and the kaw the best. i ended up with the zx6r. it had the best riding position for me.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:06 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by blackened
framesliders? the little knobs that stick out and protect the body molding?
Yes, that's what framesliders are....and they are highly recommended by most here if you are a new rider - especially if you just forked over $9K for a new bike. The last thing you want is to lose your balance slightly and lay your bike over and crack your fairings all to hell.

Great choice on the bike!!

My only words of advice - be aware of your surroundings and other vehicles at all times.

Have fun, man!!
Old 06-22-2004, 03:51 PM
What your problem is?

Originally Posted by RUF 993TTR

That is a good article/thread... thanks for that and i have also read articles to that nature in the recent Sport Rider... I was initially thinking of getting a GSX750, cause a bunch of buddies (most of them riders) were telling me that I would outgrow a 600 real quick(like within a year).... But after reading articles to this nature I think I will scale it down to a 600cc bike.

I don't think I will be in the market for a bike long and don't think I will ride forever, maybe 2-3 years tops (the old lady is already bitchin') that is why i thought I would get something descent looking and pretty quick, but I don't want to die. I heard stories about kids getting the R1's and 1k's, and I don't think I want a bike that big.... I was thinking a CBR600 or GSX600, and maybe if warranted a GSX750, what you think???...

The only way I can get a bike is if I take the course and promise my old lady that I ride only in the neighborhood and only leave the neighborhood to get gas. She also has asked that I never ride my bike at night, we live in a neighborhood with hella lot of high schoolers with new cars so I do not want to crash and let alone along with some punk kid from my neighborhood. I also have wear the proper attire, and since my ass is not joe six-pack or look like a greek god, i will not be on a bike with no shirt or shorts.

What should I do? I do not want to get a cruiser bike and I really like the way the sport bikes look, so what do you guys recommend?
Old 06-22-2004, 04:36 PM
Newbie for Life

If you're only going to be able to ride your bike in your neighborhood, save your money - it's not worth the time, money or effort to just ride a sport bike or any bike in a neighborhood.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:08 PM
Instructor

Try looking at the VFR or Interceptor. Sportbike looks with cruiser ergonomics.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:02 PM
Instructor

my next bike is the sv650....those things KICK ASS.

you may not like them at first, but once ur around the bike scenen enough, you're gonna grow to love them....people from amateurs to pros race these things. they kick major ARSE.

and yes, frame sliders are those lil bars sticking out of ur bike. get OEM ones.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:06 AM
Instructor

Have you looked at just the YZF 600. That was my first bike several years ago. The R6 is a lot to handle for a new rider. It is a full out race bike with turn signals

Just my 2 cents but it is your dime.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:10 AM
Instructor

OOPS should have read the whole thread

Originally Posted by blackened
Thanks for all the comments guys. I'm buying a 2004 GSXR 750 this Saturday.
Sorry I did not read the whole thread. Anyway I hope you enjoy whatever you buy.

Keep the rubber side down.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:40 AM
What your problem is?

Originally Posted by tripp11
If you're only going to be able to ride your bike in your neighborhood, save your money - it's not worth the time, money or effort to just ride a sport bike or any bike in a neighborhood.
I should have clarified this point, I will only ride the bike in the neigborhood until I get the confidence and experience to let her rip on the streets. I am not going to get a bike just to ride in the neighborhood, that would be a huge waste of money. Sorry for the confusion.... I said that just to illustrate the point that if I fall off the bike, or drop it, that it would happen in my neighborhood and not in the streets where there are helluva lot of cars to worry about... you get me???

Most likely a CBR or GSX 600cc bike is what I will be looking for and buy...
Old 06-24-2004, 10:44 AM
Instructor

yzfrebel - i see in your signature that you've changed your racing color eh? haha. kawa now?

indomfp - when i first started riding...i was practicing on a supersport 600 (the only bike that i was able to borrow, lucky me ), i got out on the street on my second day.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:59 AM
Newbie for Life

Originally Posted by indoMFP
I should have clarified this point, I will only ride the bike in the neigborhood until I get the confidence and experience to let her rip on the streets. I am not going to get a bike just to ride in the neighborhood, that would be a huge waste of money. Sorry for the confusion.... I said that just to illustrate the point that if I fall off the bike, or drop it, that it would happen in my neighborhood and not in the streets where there are helluva lot of cars to worry about... you get me???

Most likely a CBR or GSX 600cc bike is what I will be looking for and buy...
LOL - Now I think you're sane again....at first, I thought you were fuc*ing nuts to buy a bike only to ride it in your subdivision.

I started off on parking lots, first, and then back roads and streets too. Much easier to get accustomed to shifting, braking and balance on a parking lot/back roads without getting hassled by heavy traffic flow.

Frame sliders are a must for a new rider though because when we were first starting out we all had a moment or two that scared the schnikeys out of us.

Good luck!
Old 06-24-2004, 11:15 AM
What your problem is?

RUF, you bragging, bro??? "I got out on the streets on the second day" You have ridden dirt bikes before haven't ya? If not, then that is a hell of a accomplishment or you got balls of like iron. I don't know if I have the confidence to ride in the streets yet.... I borrowed my cousins CBR600 awhile back and i dropped it a couple of times... I fucked up his turn signals and his side mirrors... so by putting the frame sliders on a bike will it protect the other shit or just the frame covers??

I can't really practice on anything anymore, so that is why i want to get a semi descent bike right now... I don't want to spend a lot of money but something I can fuck around with and just practice on.... I know I have to work on my braking and also changing from 2nd to 3rd gears these are usually where I drop the bike.... It will take some practice... not a lot of bikes on sale here in houston, so I gotta look hard and hope...
Old 06-24-2004, 03:06 PM
Banned

I was looking at getting a sport bike, but dont know which to look at...The problem is that i am 6'7 230lbs and was wondering if it would be overly uncomfortable to ride one. I have been riding cruisers, but want something that looks better and i have always wanted a sport bike. Any suggestions?
Old 06-24-2004, 03:11 PM
What your problem is?

Originally Posted by 2003TLSnKc
I was looking at getting a sport bike, but dont know which to look at...The problem is that i am 6'7 230lbs and was wondering if it would be overly uncomfortable to ride one. I have been riding cruisers, but want something that looks better and i have always wanted a sport bike. Any suggestions?
Yeah, one suggestion... I suggest your ass get shorter, biotch..
No, on the real, I think some of the cruisers are cool for the tall guys, but i think there are some sportbikes that tall guys can ride.... A buddy of mine is around 6'5" and he rides a CBR, and does not look stupid or goofy.... I think folks look dorky when they are huge and they get these little rinky dink bikes.... you should be fine... good luck...

BTW.... I think any sportbike ridden for any amount of time will become uncomfortable... just my opinion, anyone agree?
Old 06-24-2004, 03:30 PM
Banned

I know they are uncomfortable, and was expecting that...just wondering if it would be overuncomfortable. My friend has a Triumph Daytona and i have sat on that, he wouldnt let me take it out.....bastard...it didnt seem too bad of a fit but it was a 900cc which is larger than i would want for a sport bike.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:32 PM
Instructor

i'm not at all bragging. bragging would be "i'm an experienced rider and all my bikes are 1000cc's" i still love the 600cc although i can comfortably control a 1k. the neighborhood really limits your riding ability and turning. you can cruise around a couple of round and you got a hang of it already. you need to get on the street to test your true turning and braking abilities. you can ride circles around the neighborhood man, but you're not gonna learn anything at those speeds. you just have to build up the confidence and take control of the bike and not let the bike take control of you. i rode remember when i first rode, i controlled the throttle with my gears instead of my hand (you guys who are gonna ride will know what i'm talking about). try not to do that...it's an artform alone being able to give the bike throttle smoothly in first or second gear.

2003tlsnkc - what size range of sportbikes are you looking at?
Old 06-25-2004, 12:45 AM
Banned

I had a 700cc cruiser that i recently sold, and want another bike. I dont think i would want a 1000cc sport bike but i dont think that a 600cc sport bike would be big enough...or am i wrong. Would a 750cc be good? I am new to sport bikes but want one real bad.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:48 AM
Instructor

i think the '00-03 gsxr750 would be fine for you. they are wide. i think you'll fit well on one. i could be wrong? the yellow/black ones are soooo NICE. one of my friend's next door neighbor has an '02, it's a really nice bike.
Old 06-25-2004, 02:09 AM

id look into an R1

Yamaha's new top of the line 379-pound R1 sportbike has more horsepower than Ford's SVT Focus--173, to be exact. In fact, the new R1 is the most powerful sportbike you can buy. Its heart is a 20-valve 998cc 4-cylinder engine. It's more oversquare in its bore than the previous model and has a higher compression ratio of 12.1:1, as well as longer duration and higher lift cams. It also has Ram Air, which at the upper revs forces more air into the cylinders and produces an additional 7 hp--for 180.

This monster of a motor is mounted to an all-new frame that is lighter, narrower and stiffer than the previous R1. Unlike many sportbikes, the R1's riding position is fairly upright. The handlebars are up 10mm and the footpegs are 2.5mm forward and 7.5mm lower, making it more comfortable. Supporting this new chassis are a stiffer, fully adjustable 43mm Kayaba fork and Soqi rear shock with piggyback reservoir. Brakes are 320mm discs in front with radial-mounted 4-piston calipers.

On the tight canyon roads around Anza Borrego, Calif., we found the new R1 to be remarkably docile with plenty of low-end torque. Couple that to the riding position and this bike could be a commuter. But make no mistake, if you have the guts, twist the right grip until the tach hits 13,000 rpm and the R1 will turn your hair white. The bike tops out at about 190 mph. With a 56° lean angle, the R1 will flatten just about any corner. You can buy one for $10,699

The Suzuki Hayabusa has long been the pinnacle of large-displacement hyperbikes. The new 2004 edition of the GSX1300R continues this tradition of speed and performance. The '04 Hayabusa comes in two striking new color selections and is equipped with a new passing switch for the headlight and revamped hazard lights.

The Hayabusa blends a cohesive mix of high-performance aerodynamics with powerful engine design. Optimum aerodynamic efficiency requires a precise fairing shape and the GSX1300R achieves this. Indeed, the elements of the Hayabusa's fairing, headlight and turn signals result in the lowest coefficient of drag of any Suzuki ever produced.

Motivation for the Hayabusa comes in the form of a potent inline-four-cylinder engine. The high-powered motor is equipped with a 16-valve, DOHC cylinder head with narrow 14-degree valve angles. Electronic fuel injection, ram-air intake, a gear-driven counterbalancer, six-speed transmission and large-capacity hydraulic clutch all enhance overall engine performance.

Anchoring the hugely powerful 1300cc engine is an aluminum-alloy twin-spar frame suspended by 43mm titanium-nitride-coated forks offering 120mm of travel. A link-type rear suspension system mates a bridged aluminum swingarm with a fully adjustable shock for 140mm of travel. Wide, cast-aluminum wheels shod with radial tires provide ample traction at both ends. Braking comes from six-piston calipers gripping dual 320mm rotors in the front and a twin-piston caliper and 240mm rear rotor in the rear. This combination of performance and sporting features creates the awesome 2004 Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa.

DUCATI 999R BACK

Type L twin cylinder, 4 valve per cylinder Desmodromic; liquid cooled
Displacement 999 cc
BorexStroke 104x58,8 mm
Compression Ratio 12,3:1
Power 102 kW - 139 HP @ 9750 rpm
Torque 108 Nm - 11 kgm @ 8000 rpm
Fuel injection Marelli electronic fuel injection, 54 mm throttle body
Exhaust Single steel muffler with catalytic converter
Emissions Euro2
Transmission
Gearbox 6 speed
Ratios 1st 37/15, 2nd 30/17, 3th 28/20, 4th 26/22, 5th 24/23, 6th 23/24
Primary drive Straight cut gears; ratio 1.84
Final drive Chain; Front sprocket 15; Rear sprocket 36
Clutch Dry multiplate with hydraulic control

Two 2004 Suzuki GSXR 750's

You guys convinced me, im lookin into a honda f4i to learn on. What would you say is a reasonable price for a used 2000ish?
Old 06-25-2004, 02:14 AM

http://217.33.73.68/private/toys4boys2.htm

Now thats A CROTCH ROCKET!
Old 06-25-2004, 09:09 AM
8th Gear

I have an 02 R6 right now and I love it. I say go for that one also because I think that it looks alot better then the gsxr. You can't go wrong with the cbr though.

My R6 is actually for sale. I noticed you were out east though so shipping might be a problem. I agree with the guy that said to look on cycletrader.com there is also another site called www.classycycle.com

You can find some good bikes there to. Anyone interested in my 02 R6 for sale in Flagstaff, Arizona? It is in perfect condition.

E mail me if you are cm46@dana.ucc.nau.edu

Quick Reply: Yamaha YZF R6 vs. Honda 600RR vs. Suzuki GSXR