Worst Redesign

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 09:16 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't take it too personally, just an opinion

Originally Posted by fabrikated
i take offense to that...why does everyone rag on it? it has great V6 power, a great sounding engine/exhaust...just because it's not rwd/awd or a turbo 4 banger?

I was just stating my opinion. since the 2g eclipse, the car really look bad to me. We are talking about car design here, not performance. I agree with you the car drive well, but personally, it look terrible, and it gotten worse, seen the 06 eclipse yet . I own a 97 eclipse before and loved it and I wouldn't mind another (95-99 of course), so no hate for them.

The accord is a great buy, but still an ugly car now. Best looking accord was the 98-02 coupe; I never really like the sedan much either. The 03-05 is hand down ugly, even the redesign of the redesign is still ugly, ruin a perfectly good car there. With the car the way it is, I will and many people I know will never buy it. I actually pass on the 04 accord coupe and was close to buying a scion until I came upon the tl on a lot driving my sister to work. Already, two friend of mine pass up on accord, simply due to the fact that they felt the car doesn't look as good as it did before. One bought a camry (wife loved it) and another got a scion tc. Style , from what I notice, is big in the decision to buy.

This is a public forum and you are welcome to disagree with my opinion.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:16 PM
That's Racist

Can I get an explanation of why being a four seater is a pro? Other than a few controls and a couple of extra cup holders, why cut out the 3rd seat in the middle if you have room for it?

Why not just kick out the 5th person?
Old 02-26-2006, 09:24 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Fossil_TL
Its not worth 39k I admit, but feature by feature, power by power, size by size. Maxima is above the TL. What else vehicle you can get a 4 seater that's below $50k, as far as I'm concerned only the CLS, A8L W12 offers 4 seaters
I never like the maxima, don't hate it either. I would own one if the price is right. This current style I don't like, keep reminding me of an eggplant.

Also, I think we getting off topic, original poster ask about redesign not feature or performance. If we were to talk about feature and performance, then many of the car mentioned, I feel don't belong. My
Old 02-26-2006, 09:45 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Every time a see a nissan interior it just baffles me at how they can get away with using such crappy materials
Old 02-26-2006, 09:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Time For Sleeep
Can I get an explanation of why being a four seater is a pro? Other than a few controls and a couple of extra cup holders, why cut out the 3rd seat in the middle if you have room for it?

Why not just kick out the 5th person?
Well only true sport sedans have buck seats all around, for example the continental fly spur. Also alot people dont like the idea of bench seats they want individual control and personal space, that's why rich people like to order the captain seats on the Navigator and QX56. How often times do you find yourself sliding in the rear seat while the car is taking a hardturn on to the expressway
Nissan has some great ideas in car designs, the sky view moonroof for one was very well done and no other car in the same market had features like that. The rear windsheild was slightly caved in where the rear pillar pop out slightly while the windsheild seemed to sink in (i think it's called the Butruss effect ). and soon the new Lexus GS copied that design feature.

The Maxima looks good from the rear, and front at any angle because of the aggressive stance similar to the TL, the only down fall of the maxima is that it look like a fuck'n saturn ion from the side view only larger. other wise Maxima is a design success, also the new Maxima rides on all independant suspension setup instead of the beam setup found on the pre 2003 Maxima.

The design improvement of the 2nd gen to 3rd gen TL is just as significant as the 5th Gen Maxima to the 6th Gen maxima, only the Nissan took an even bolder move than Acura with its design directions.

Maxima with Elite Package, Chrome factory rim, Navigation and Power all accessaries (even the rear widnows are one touch down) bars none it's it's class. Just because it's a nissan doesn't make it any less than and acura since they are in the price point when similarly equiped, it's just that Maxima has extra features that TL simply wont even offer as an option.

Last edited by Fossil_TL; 02-26-2006 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:41 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nobody is down playing Nissan, most of us love the last gen its just this gen that was a remodeling nightmare. Hell I like the last 2 gen of Maximas. I looked at an 02 6spd Maxima w/ Navi before I bought my TL, but since I have owned Hondas/Acuras my whole adult life it was hard to buy another product.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:15 PM
Mile High

Originally Posted by SeCsTaC
TL is using the latest SAE standards though, I don't think Nissan or Infiniti has switched over to them yet. Generally most of the cars were rated lower with the new standard.
Isnt the new SAE for the TL 258hp? Instead of the initially published 270hp
Old 02-27-2006, 12:38 AM
The Third Ball

Received 5,105 Likes on 2,708 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy88
Isnt the new SAE for the TL 258hp? Instead of the initially published 270hp
I thought it was 265...but it that might be it...it was a lot lower.

And until ALL the automakers switchover to one uniform system for rating then there is going to be a lot of misleading numbers in the world of hp numbers.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:46 AM
Feeds pigs bacon

shut up you bastard son of a bitch
Old 02-27-2006, 01:10 AM
The Third Ball

Received 5,105 Likes on 2,708 Posts
Originally Posted by fabrikated
shut up you bastard son of a bitch

Don't push your luck
Old 02-27-2006, 07:56 AM
Burning Brakes

I like the new Audi/VW designs. I think the A3/GTI's are pretty sweet looking. Agressive and solid, and I've always liked hatches. If I didn't hate the company so much I'd almost consider one.

I think my least favorite re-design was the current gen Lexus SC. I owned a '98 SC and it was a beautiful car; classic design a lot like an Integra or Legend - but the new ones are just hideous.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by nsxiballer
Maybe, that's if you get all the options. Would never pay for a maxima for that price. Maxima's can be bought at 26k, brand new.
Apples to Oranges...

Need to compare comparability equipped vehicles... add a sunroof, heated seats, etc etc... and you'll find that they are alot closer in price...

Just went thru this with my sister when she was looking at the Corolla and the Civic... Corolla was cheaper, but didn't have ABS, etc etc... Once we added the extras, the price difference was minimal. She got the Civic LX... Traded in her 01 Maxima...
Old 02-27-2006, 08:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Originally Posted by SeCsTaC
TL is using the latest SAE standards though, I don't think Nissan or Infiniti has switched over to them yet. Generally most of the cars were rated lower with the new standard.

Originally Posted by CL Platano
Nobody is down playing Nissan, most of us love the last gen its just this gen that was a remodeling nightmare. Hell I like the last 2 gen of Maximas.
People routinely remark (to me) that they like the looks of my 5th generation Maxima MUCH more than the redesigned 6th generation. Although I own an 02, my personal favorite is still the 4th generation (95-99).

Back on topic, I believe there are two aspects of the "worst design" category: there's the just plain ugly design and then there's the dubious design that's grown on me over time.

Just plain ugly:
04-06 Maxima (front end, rear end, interior)
current Mitsubish Galants (front end, interior)
current gen Impreza (front end only)

Dubious design that I've grown to like:
E90 3 series
E60 5 series
Chrysler 300
1G Infiniti M45
3G CLK
2G SLK
Pontiac G6 coupe ( )
Old 02-27-2006, 08:48 AM
Tristate ViP Crew

Originally Posted by F23A4

People routinely remark (to me) that they like the looks of my 5th generation Maxima MUCH more than the redesigned 6th generation. Although I own an 02, my personal favorite is still the 4th generation (95-99).

Back on topic, I believe there are two aspects of the "worst design" category: there's the just plain ugly design and then there's the dubious design that's grown on me over time.

Just plain ugly:
04-06 Maxima (front end, rear end, interior)
current Mitsubish Galants (front end, interior)
current gen Impreza (front end only)

Dubious design that I've grown to like:
E90 3 series
E60 5 series
Chrysler 300
1G Infiniti M45
3G CLK
2G SLK
Pontiac G6 coupe ( )
lol I like your twist on the matter, and you are absolutely correct with your list except for the G6 coupe, that's just ugly.