Won't be driving the car for a year, where to store?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 05:20 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
Won't be driving the car for a year, where to store?

Here's my situation. My unit is scheduled for deployment and I won't be touching my car for a whole year. I have many questions on storage

1. Where is the best place to store
2. What should I do to the car PRIOR storage
3. What should I look for in a storage place
4. What should I do after removing it from storage
5. Any tips for keeping the car well maintained during a one year storage?
Old 03-30-2008, 05:34 PM
Everyday Joe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have a friend that you can store the car with? That way he/she can still drive it once/week or so and you won't need to worry so much about maintenance on it. Plus, you'll be able to drop your insurance down to a low point since it won't be getting many miles on it. Just a thought....
Old 03-30-2008, 06:03 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by mdkxtreme
Here's my situation. My unit is scheduled for deployment and I won't be touching my car for a whole year. I have many questions on storage

1. Where is the best place to store
2. What should I do to the car PRIOR storage
3. What should I look for in a storage place
4. What should I do after removing it from storage
5. Any tips for keeping the car well maintained during a one year storage?
I store a number of cars for prolonged periods, and although my storage practices at times differ from others, this is what I basically do:

1. The best place to store a car is in a garage or other suitable enclosed structure. I'm not sure where you live, but try to store in an area of low humidity and moisture. If storing in a shop with a dirt floor for example, place down plastic sheeting. Store the car away from windows, or cover them if necessary.

2. Some prefer to store with a full tank, others with less. I usually store with about one-eighth of a tank with a fuel stabilizer. A stabilizer is sold at most auto parts stores, and keeps fuel from deteriorating if stored for prolonged periods.

Remove the battery of course, and place on a trickle charger from time to time. In your situation I imagine you will have to have someone perform this task for you.

If the car is to be stored for upwards of a year, I would place the car on wooden blocks to take the weight off the tires and wheel bearings. The car needs to be slightly above where the tire would contact the surface.

Some remove the plugs and squirt oil down the cylinders. I have never done this and cannot comment whether this is beneficial or not.

I always place a car cover over the car in storage. Make sure the car is clean before doing so. Place Zest or another strong fragrant soap on the carpets of the car. Mice generally don't like the scent. I always place a commercial rat and mouse poison on top the the engine block as well.

3. If you are looking for a storage place, contact a number of commercial facilities. Also check with friends and family. Also look in the paper to see if anyone is renting garage space. You would be surprised of what you can find. If the people seem trustworthy, have a friend of family member check the garage on a regular basis. Keep fire, theft, and vandalism insurance on your car at all times. And the less people know where the car is stored, the better.

4. Upon startup, install the battery and check all fluid levels. Check tire pressure before lowering. Turn key to run position, let fuel pressurize, then start. It shouldn't have a problem.

5. Maintenance regarding car storage is relatively easy if done correctly. In addition to the above items, make sure the garage or facility is secure. Weather protection and low humidity levels are more important than temperature. I cannot stress enough to try to have low humidity levels while storing a car. Have someone check the interior an underhood to ensure there aren't any rodents who have attempted to make themselves at home. Good idea to place bait traps around the car as well. Mice are not kind to cars.

Stay safe during your deployment.

Terry
Old 03-30-2008, 07:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
^ Great post.

Typically I leave the battery in the car with the battery tender hooked up to it. I figure that way none of the radio codes or anything would get reset. Is there a benefit by taking it out?

To add, leave your window cracked just a little so moisture doesn't build up inside the cabin.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:28 PM

wow thanks for the list of advice teranfon. i really like the advice on leaving the window crack. i would leave the car for family and relatives. its just im the oldest siblings and the rest are new drivers. i keep my car REALLY clean and shiny but yes, leaving the car with a relative is my best choice since i wouldnt know what can possibly happen leaving my car in a storage for one whole year. im really not a car guy so when you guys talk about "battery tender, fual stabilizer, or a trickle charger," i dont know exactly what those look like or how to install them. would the dealership or auto stores like pepboys know what to do in this case?

Last edited by mdkxtreme; 03-30-2008 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:44 PM
Senior Moderator

What im using.

Battery Tender: http://batterytender.com/product_info.php?products_id=2
Cheaper on ebay.

Sta-Bil : http://www.goldeagle.com/sta-bil/products.htm
Can get it at Autozone also

Last edited by Crazy Bimmer; 03-30-2008 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:56 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
^ Great post.

Typically I leave the battery in the car with the battery tender hooked up to it. I figure that way none of the radio codes or anything would get reset. Is there a benefit by taking it out?

To add, leave your window cracked just a little so moisture doesn't build up inside the cabin.
Excellent point about the window.

I like to remove the battery for safety and security reasons. Lessens the risk of an electrical hazard, and one less item to make it easier for someone to steal the car. Most of my stuff is older Domestic muscle, and the batteries are often sitting on stamped steel platforms which corrode easily if the battery fractures or leaks.

Terry
Old 03-30-2008, 09:03 PM
Everyday Joe

Originally Posted by mdkxtreme
wow thanks for the list of advice teranfon. i really like the advice on leaving the window crack. i would leave the car for family and relatives. its just im the oldest siblings and the rest are new drivers. i keep my car REALLY clean and shiny but yes, leaving the car with a relative is my best choice since i wouldnt know what can possibly happen leaving my car in a storage for one whole year. im really not a car guy so when you guys talk about "battery tender, fual stabilizer, or a trickle charger," i dont know exactly what those look like or how to install them. would the dealership or auto stores like pepboys know what to do in this case?
If you're in VA/NE NC, I'd watch it for ya....got plenty o room in the driveway and I'd take care of it.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,097 Likes on 831 Posts
It sound like this is your first deployment.

usually on base they have services where they store your car and turn it on like every week to run the oil on your car. I was station in San Diego and they had one on base. thats only if you don't have a trusted friend to trust
Old 03-31-2008, 06:53 AM
givin the business

Originally Posted by asianspec
i was gonna say the same thing...i'm in japan for 3 loong years and the military is storing my car indoors somewhere in North Carolina. but follow teronfon's post word for word and you should be fine.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:12 AM
Senior Moderator

I wouldnt even start the car once a week unless they plan on driving it around for a bit.

Idling that long for all the fluids to get up to temp would take way too long.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by asianspec

hehe sorry i didnt think i'd run into any military personnel. i'm actually in the reserves and this would be my second deployment . there really isnt a base for us reserves. i sold my integra on my first deployment so i didnt have to worry about that. now that i have an 07 tsx i need a place to put this jewel. wow i didnt know bases would have that kind of service. that would be really nice to atleast have someone physically see the car, let alone turn it on for you.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:20 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
our base in germany had a storage facility, but it was outdoors and they didn't check it for you. i just let my friend watch it for me.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:10 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is really good information, I put my car in a garage/storage facility for 2 1/2 years while I was in Germany and Iraq. My dad started the car once a week and drove it. My battery still died on me, but a battery is probably less than a battery tender anyway.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:24 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
in my garage?