AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Car Talk (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/)
-   -   wifes car wont move (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/wifes-car-wont-move-789063/)

01clsstock 08-25-2010 08:06 AM

wifes car wont move

Well i was goiong to trade in my wifes 04 Mazda 6 for an 06 tl, but thought that would be weird if we both drove the same car. (even if mine is an 05 and different color) So the wife drives her car home yesterday, parks it in our garage which is at the bottom of a slight incline , and goes inside the house. She comes out later to start the car and nothing car wont turn or crank and the key light keeps flashing. Something has to be wrong with the imoblizer and chip in the key. Problem is i cant get the car into gear to push out of the garage to get it towed because its imoblized :whyme: Should have traded the mazda for the tl. Triple AAA says they can tow it but they will probably damage the car... great.

gatrhumpy 08-25-2010 08:26 AM

Wrong forum.

Turbonut 08-25-2010 08:28 AM

Disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes to see if that makes a difference. You can always override the shift lock through the access "door" on the console.

NSXNEXT 08-25-2010 08:31 AM

Moved to Car Talk

01clsstock 08-25-2010 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Turbonut (Post 12286353)
Disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes to see if that makes a difference. You can always override the shift lock through the access "door" on the console.

can you explain further the access door? this is located in the center stack? or under the car? I disconnected the positive plug from the battery for ten minutes and it still made no difference. Do i have to disco the negative battery connection as well?

csmeance 08-25-2010 09:03 AM

try putting in the ignition in the stall position, that might let the shifter lock let off so you can put it in neutral.

As far as the immobilizer, are you sure that's it? If it's not cranking then I doubt it's the immobilizer as that system just prevents the fuel pump from pumping fuel. It could be the starter or the battery!

01clsstock 08-25-2010 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by csmeance (Post 12286425)
try putting in the ignition in the stall position, that might let the shifter lock let off so you can put it in neutral.

As far as the immobilizer, are you sure that's it? If it's not cranking then I doubt it's the immobilizer as that system just prevents the fuel pump from pumping fuel. It could be the starter or the battery!

I can jump start the car but as soon as i put my foot on the brake it dies. Also the key fob wont unlock or lock the car and a red light with a key on it keeps flashing on the dash. (handbook says consult dealership which says i need to bring the car down but car is stuck in park and wont come out regardless of what setting the key is on):ugh:

The Dougler 08-25-2010 09:25 AM

Check your owners manual for something called a shift interlock override. Not sure where they put it on mazda's but there will be a means to manually override the shifter interlock.

dallison 08-25-2010 09:49 AM

sounds like a remote start or immobilizer.

Can you try another key?

01clsstock 08-25-2010 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by dallison (Post 12286549)
sounds like a remote start or immobilizer.

Can you try another key?

i wish dude we only have one key :tomato:

CocheseUGA 08-25-2010 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by 01clsstock (Post 12286463)
I can jump start the car but as soon as i put my foot on the brake it dies. Also the key fob wont unlock or lock the car and a red light with a key on it keeps flashing on the dash. (handbook says consult dealership which says i need to bring the car down but car is stuck in park and wont come out regardless of what setting the key is on):ugh:

:what:

Battery and alternator dead?

1StGenCL 08-25-2010 10:53 AM

I searched for a pic of your shifter but couldn't find one for your year. There should be a cover or hole of some sort by the shifter that you can depress with a pen or key to release the shifter. In the pic below, you can see it is on the bottom left. Does your car have something similar? Your manual should help you out too

http://blog.autoworld.com.my/wp-cont...l2-pe-003a.jpg

Edit - did you try a new battery in the remote? I know it doesn't have anything to do with the immobilizer but you say it wont unlock the doors either and it is a cheap maybe fix. Surprised AAA didn't tell you look for the shift override

phee 08-25-2010 11:09 AM

its electrical. im guessing battery or alternator

Pure Adrenaline 08-25-2010 11:23 AM

Try it with the TL battery in the Mazda.

01clsstock 08-25-2010 11:58 AM

First off Thanks

for all of your replies. This is why i love this site. I am going to take the battery to autozone to test it today after work. If that doesnt work i will release the interlock shift linkage (thanks for the pic :thumbsup: , looks pretty similiar in the 04) and have it towed. At least i have a plan now. i ws feeling hopless before

1StGenCL 08-30-2010 07:57 PM

Update?

01clsstock 08-31-2010 11:12 AM

update

All those that said electrical where right on the money. Took the battery out and tested it at autozone. it was shot so i replaced it with a new one. I also cut off and replaced the negative battery connection as the old one was corroded to sh*t. Now the car works mint!!! Good look on the advice

Pure Adrenaline 08-31-2010 02:57 PM

Good stuff.

Now trade it in?? :D

mrmako 08-31-2010 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by 01clsstock (Post 12301544)
All those that said electrical where right on the money. Took the battery out and tested it at autozone. it was shot so i replaced it with a new one. I also cut off and replaced the negative battery connection as the old one was corroded to sh*t. Now the car works mint!!! Good look on the advice

Nice. That electrical connection from the ground wire to the chassis is pretty important. once clean and connected, cover with some of that stuff you cover battery terminals with. It's like a grease, but thicker and it will keep away corrosion.