Why not make an affordable exotic looking car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 01:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
Why not make an affordable exotic looking car?

Just wondering... other then engine/performance, why dont car manufacturers make exotic looking cars for a reasonable price? Lambo styling under 50k. why not? discuss.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:20 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
How about the Lotus Elise?
Old 12-18-2005, 01:22 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
For me personally if I'm going to spend an exorbant amount of money on a supercar I expect to have unique (sometimes odd) styling. When I see a civic with the lambo style doors it just seems funny looking...cant figure out the word right now. Exotic styling seems to be apart of the pakage you get with the car, insane performance and one of a kind (almost) styling.

And those fiero kit cars to look like a ferrari or lambo dont seem to do it either, they have never really caught on...either because they are trying to look exactly the same or because people call them "posers". The less expensive cars out today have their own "exotic" styling to them. The Solstice or new saturn convertible is different in their own way.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
You mean like a NSX with just a V6 in it? Oh wait...
Old 12-18-2005, 01:24 PM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
You will be classified as a poser by the people who drive the real supercars...
Old 12-18-2005, 01:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Theres also the vette.

Maybe companies think the average buyer wouldnt want somthing sitting so low and wide for a daily driver.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:35 PM
Yes, he did that

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If car manufacturers did that, then the Ricer Community would have nothing to sell anymore

I agree with Jesal's comment - I personally would not want a low riding car to drive daily over the shit roads that make up all California Highways .
Old 12-18-2005, 01:51 PM
Senior Moderator

but why? We're talking about exotically styled affordable sports car. Becase a car has unique styling, that equates to being a poser? Why does exotic styling have to also mean exotic prices? What if the g35c, s2k, or 350z, etc. looked more exotic? Why not? Does something have to cost over 100k to be deemed worthly of exotic looks?

Originally Posted by S A CHO
You will be classified as a poser by the people who drive the real supercars...
Old 12-18-2005, 01:56 PM
One on the right for me

a new affordable exotic looking car would need to start from scratch. supras with body kits dont look right and i cant imagine an s2000 looking really exotic because i would just imagine the stock looking car with all the extras added on. the reason why the lotus elise works is because it started out looking different.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:58 PM
Senior Moderator

^ you're missing the point, I'm not saying to redesign or modify existing cars, I'm talking about from the beginning.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:03 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by synth19
^ you're missing the point, I'm not saying to redesign or modify existing cars, I'm talking about from the beginning.

i thought i touched on that at the end of my rambling with the lotus. again i think the solstice and the new saturn convt. are examples of that...you cant copy the lambo styling, thats unoriginal, but i do think GM and others are beginning to do make more radical designs
Old 12-18-2005, 02:06 PM
Senior Moderator

50k was a mere example, so was my lambo example. I dont mean literally make a lambo copy, but something as exotic.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:38 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Being exotic means appealing to a niche market, and that's tough to do while maintaining profitability. That is unless, of course, you're a specialized niche company like Lamborghini, Ferrari, etc.

Exotic look (and looks are VERY subjective at best) alone isn't going to sell cars. They have to match that with the proper engine and chassis. Then up goes the price tag. And because it'll be an extremely niche market (remember the Fiero?), it most likely won't maintain profitability. Therefore, most mainstream companies won't even do it. Why risk shareholders' money and criticism?

Last edited by Pure Adrenaline; 12-18-2005 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:53 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
How's this for an affordable exotic looking car?

Old 12-18-2005, 03:00 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by 65 Fury Convert
How's this for an affordable exotic looking car?

Nice Fiero.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:13 PM
Banned

Buick Reatta, Hyundai Tiburon, Pontiac Fiero, Porsche 944, Toyota MR-2, Volkswagen Scirocco have all been marketed as such.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Then it wouldnt be exotic and rare.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:57 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Why not make an affordable exotic? Subaru did that in the early 90s, and it failed.

I'm talking about the Subaru SVX, only 14,000 of them have been sold in the US.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Because auto companies want buyers to "climb the ladder"... as with everything, it probably comes down to the almighty dollar. Companies don't build cheap exotic looking vehicles cause it would (probably) hurt their bottom line. I'm sure they've done the marketing research (at a hefty pricetag) to prove it.

I'll use Acura/honda as an example... You start off with a civic, or integra... Then you as your salary increases, you buy a bigger and better car in the lineup... if everyone could buy a car as sexy as a NSX for 1/2 the price, that would cut into NSX sales.. No one would buy a more expensive car in the line up if you could stop at $50K except the few that buy cars only because the price tag reflects their status in life.

There are reasons why most car companies have a lineup from entry level on up... They want to hook you up (like a junkie) hoping you'll climb the ladder, from the RSX to a TL and then an RL, and hopefully you'll buy an NSX to go with your RL daily driver...

The C6 vette is as close as a 50K exotic as your going to get (or the Elise, as someone else pointed out)... but if you're a chevy guy, you'll have a SS Silverado, and a Caddy to go along with it.... Guy who owns Star Pickle Co. down the street has that setup... C5 vette, Caddy, and SS (all in red/burgandy)...

From a practical standpoint, it's probably more expensive to form some of the hard angles that occur in the expensive exotics... If the bean counters can save $5 a panel, they will.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:59 PM
LOLZ McCain Sux

Because economy car companies own exotic car companies so if they made exotic cheap cars then why have supercars at all?
Old 12-18-2005, 10:40 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonster
Because auto companies want buyers to "climb the ladder"... as with everything, it probably comes down to the almighty dollar. Companies don't build cheap exotic looking vehicles cause it would (probably) hurt their bottom line. I'm sure they've done the marketing research (at a hefty pricetag) to prove it.

I'll use Acura/honda as an example... You start off with a civic, or integra... Then you as your salary increases, you buy a bigger and better car in the lineup... if everyone could buy a car as sexy as a NSX for 1/2 the price, that would cut into NSX sales.. No one would buy a more expensive car in the line up if you could stop at $50K except the few that buy cars only because the price tag reflects their status in life.

There are reasons why most car companies have a lineup from entry level on up... They want to hook you up (like a junkie) hoping you'll climb the ladder, from the RSX to a TL and then an RL, and hopefully you'll buy an NSX to go with your RL daily driver...

The C6 vette is as close as a 50K exotic as your going to get (or the Elise, as someone else pointed out)... but if you're a chevy guy, you'll have a SS Silverado, and a Caddy to go along with it.... Guy who owns Star Pickle Co. down the street has that setup... C5 vette, Caddy, and SS (all in red/burgandy)...

From a practical standpoint, it's probably more expensive to form some of the hard angles that occur in the expensive exotics... If the bean counters can save $5 a panel, they will.
Except that most people start out with used cars. That's where I am right now. I love my 96 2.5TL, but next summer I'm buying a 2006 TSX. Most people's first car is as a teenager. We can't even afford the entriest of entry level cars brand new most of the time.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Actually the original concept was introduced by GM. Hence why there are a billion subcategories of make and model you can move to.

Chevy ---> Buick ---> Caddy

Of course, this was back when the above three were very popular.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:21 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Making an affordable looking exotic is dumb, it would deface all other exotics.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:33 PM
Pit Stop?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've brought this up numerous times, even with the case of the Chrysler 300 and everyone screaming "BENTLEY!! BENTLEY!!! " WHy does a big, square, handsome sedan have to be a Bentley? It's rediculous.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:53 PM
Intermediate

I Would have to say the best "affordable" exotic you could get would be the Lotus Elise, Looks very exotic, has exotic track handleing,etc. I think the best bang for the buck would be a C6 ZO6, but really doesnt classify as an exotic.

-Amir
Old 12-19-2005, 02:08 PM
Drifting

IMO, it doesn't get anymore exotic looking in the "affordable" price range than this:

Old 12-20-2005, 07:04 AM
I shoot people

Received 2,869 Likes on 1,427 Posts
I remember when I studied architecture, the more corners you have in a building, the more it cost to build...

I'm thinking it's along the same line with cars... In order for a car to look "exotic" (more curvy lines? I guess) no matter what they do to cut cost... it will still be more expensive than to build than a car that's less "exotic" looking. I'm sure it's all about marketing... and it's been on thousands of "drawing boards"... but if a car company isn't going to make the most profit... the idea will be tossed... I know the NSX isn't exactly "afforable" but it's kinda a good example for this thread... the Honda people can't really decide if they wanna keep the model going, they change their minds back and forth... (I haven't been reading up on it, so excuse me if I'm not accurate on this), but one of their concerns is that they simply don't make that much off each NSX sold... vs... selling a ton of Civics day in and day out.... it can be done... it just has to be marketed right.

...this question can also apply to other things in life... why can't payless shoes make shoes that are as fashionable as... Bally's or Ferragamo's... or in your case.. Jimmy Choo's... I'm sure they can... again, it's just gotta be marketed right...

...and maybe the Pontiac Solstice isn't in the 50k price range, but wouldn't that be, somewhat, of an example? It'll be interesting to see how this car sells, cause it's gonna have a pretty weak engine... and at a time when everybody's going up on their horse power... consumers may sit out and wait til they "pony up" on the engine.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:15 AM
I shoot people

Received 2,869 Likes on 1,427 Posts
please disregard my comment about "Jimmy Choo's", I was in a hurry, and I thought that "Stphy32" started this thread...
Old 01-13-2006, 01:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Exotic Cars The Defining Characteristics

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posting a definition of "Exotic Cars" on the web is probably the quickest way to attract controversy among motorheads. Some will have the definition pinned down and water tight, some will have a more "loose" description in mind. It's the latter that'll be explored on this page.
I feel that there is a list of criteria to take into consideration and cars that score more points are more likely to considered as exotic. I believe that some mass produced cars can be considered exotic cars as well as highly modified customs and hot rods.

Supercars such as Ferrraris and Porsches will always be considered exotic cars as these score a near perfect exotic car score.

Most sports cars will always make the rankings simply because of their power to weight ratio, character and desirability. There are many different classifications of sports cars of course, so following the guidelines will give you an idea if yours can be included as exotic.

Some Muscle cars also score highly on the chart and should be called exotic cars because of their brute power, the fact that they use a V engine and their general character and air of mystique.

When thinking of exotic cars, reliability, build quality and country of origin really don't come into the equation, anyone remember the E-Type?

Even underpowered classics such as the Porsche 356 can be pigeon holed as exotic cars - the term is very broad. Even so, cars that score less than 50% in the exotic car criteria rankings cannot be classed as exotica.

The most modern examples of exotic cars are the street racers featured in movies like the fast and the furious. These are mostly modified Japanese creations but with wild paint, high power, expensive modifications and racing body-kits these are prime examples for the term exotic car.

The popular dictionary definition of exotic:- 1: From another part of the world 2: Intriguingly unusual or different, excitingly strange 3: Of or involving striptease The Oxford dictionary:-

adjective 1 introduced from abroad. 2 strange, unusual. noun exotic plant etc. exotically adverb.

adjective 1alien, far-away, foreign, remote. 2bizarre, different, extraordinary, foreign-looking, novel, odd, outlandish, peculiar, rare, singular, strange, striking, unfamiliar, unusual, colloquial weird.

I believe that the criteria listed below will determine a cars "exoticity". Compare your car to the list.

1-A top speed that exceeds 140 MPH
2-Paint color is predominantly black, white, yellow, red or silver
3-Has over 210 Bhp in the power department
4-Has a straight 6 or 8, boxer 4, 8 or 12, V8, V10 or V12 engine
5-Worth more than it's original asking price (taking inflation into account)
6-Has twin turbos
7-The model in general has won internationally recognized races
8-Wears tires more than 7" wide
9-Acceleration to 60 Mph in less than 7.5 seconds
10-Is by definition a supercar i.e. Mclaren F1
11-Is by definition an expensive car when bought from new
12-The particular model in general has been raced by an official race car team.
13-Was made in a limited production run of 3000 or less.
14-Is very rare in its own right regardless of numbers originally produced
15-Has been professionally, substantially modified in the performance department compared to more ordinary models of the same make.
16-Is or was originally a manufacturers prototype or concept car
17-Is widely recognized as a dream car or a highly desirable classic
18-Has been built using some or many light weight materials
19-Is a Porsche, Lamborghini, or Ferrari
20-Is considered to be an automotive icon of its year
21-Has an air of mystery, a certain "Je ne sais quoi" that your run of the mill weekly shopping carrier will never have.
22-Is very expensive to run and maintain
23-Was intended to have only two occupants or is a 2+2 coupe.

If your car scores 11 or more congratulations! It's probably an exotic car. Any car that scores 17 or more is definitely an exotic car!

Don't go blaming me if you don't agree with my definitions as there's no official dictionary definition of an exotic car. It's all subjective and circumstantial but should be seen as fun and will also give you enough material for a few nights discussion with friends in your local bar or in your favorite internet forum or chat room

Text by Exotic-Car-Posters.com
Old 01-13-2006, 03:38 PM
Safety Car

Probably because its safer to design a car more on the conservative side than to have something styled like an elise. Also another reason is probably because automakers seems to have a hard enough time designing an ok looking car, let alone one that looks exotic. 3rd, costs to build a car with lots of design elements will probably end up costing more to build etc.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:09 PM
Racer

How about this...

Under $20,000 with my GM employee discount
Old 01-13-2006, 06:35 PM
Safety Car

I'm kinda liking mazdas under 20k hopeful...
Old 01-14-2006, 06:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GreenMonster

Very good point and that is exactly what I have done. I started out years ago with a 1990 Integra GSL. Then moved up to 95 GS-R. Now that I am married, we both have Integras for daily, a 04 TL for when we want to go out with friends and finally the NSX when we want to go out by ourselves and have a good time.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,258 Likes on 5,221 Posts
Subaru could do it with that Pro-drive car... look - just need to flatten it a bit... look:

original:

exotic stylin':

look at the 2nd flattened pic for a long time....... and then look at the original - it doesn't look as good anymore..
Old 01-14-2006, 09:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by fedlawman
How about this...

Under $20,000 with my GM employee discount

My brother works for GMAC. Might see one of these in my driveway soon.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:36 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
My brother works for GMAC. Might see one of these in my driveway soon.
Wait one year for the 250 hp turbo version.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:50 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,852 Likes on 2,589 Posts
Originally Posted by 65 Fury Convert
How about the Lotus Elise?

Thats exactly what came to mind the instant I read the thread title.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:10 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
plymouth prowlers are worth aroun 15-25k now, and people are astill selling them for 35k-45k
Old 01-17-2006, 02:25 AM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by The Sarlacc

Thats exactly what came to mind the instant I read the thread title.

i dont know how much thought actually went into the thread title
Old 01-17-2006, 02:34 PM
giggity giggity giggity

Originally Posted by srika
Subaru could do it with that Pro-drive car... look - just need to flatten it a bit... look:

look at the 2nd flattened pic for a long time....... and then look at the original - it doesn't look as good anymore..
I agree. Looks more exotic when flattened.

Neil, love the post/list.

Affordable exotic looking = kit car.