This is why GM is failing

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 07:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
The OP needs to spend some time driving a Dodge Caliber. That would make me long for Chevy Cobalt.
I had a Dodge Caliber rental for 2 months and it was brutal. The drivetrain was pathetic. The engine was anemic and sounded like a broken blender. Suspension tuning was non-existent. It was was too soft and the body rolled a ton. Additionally, the interior was one of the worst I've ever been in. It was spartan and I honestly could have build a better quality one myself.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,792 Likes on 13,976 Posts
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
by shallow I mean less than 2" deep and as for the CL at least you can remove the insert..... and they can hold a large Mc D's cup without spilling it over when you make a turn....

for the others claiming that the list is maint......

how in the world is a poor beam pattern a maint issue?

how is the fact that the car has poor interior lighting a maint issue?

the windshield wipes are not a maint issue. it is GM being cheap and using as little rubber in the blade as possible....

but hey that's OK you guys want to put up with crap like that, more power to you.........

You know today is 2010 and some of this things could have been a little more thought out and it would have made a huge difference in the overall impresson of the car....

btw just becuase the car is small does not mean the driving position should be cramped. even in a yaris you do not feel cramped like this car...
Dude...it's an entry-level car.

And ergonomically, you are used to a Japanese vehicle. Often, it takes time to get used to a North American car especially if you have been driving the former for many years.

I urge you to go try out the other cars I suggested from earlier before you harp on GM being as terrible. Perhaps the Cobalt is indeed a bucket of bolts...but, if you want a comparable ride to your current Acura, I'd suggest something along the lines of the G8 or the CTS. You'll be surprised.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
^ ur right I am used to stuff being well laid out but this is redicilous. I just sayin' that if this was the first GM i had ever bought, it would definately deter me from buying something else in their lineup.... like other's have mentioned their more expensive cars also suffer from the same general lack of detail.....

I dunno man

Fit

or

Colbalt
Old 11-26-2009, 11:54 PM
Safety Car

Received 214 Likes on 143 Posts
I came into this thread since I saw another discussion on another forum (on another site) that was also called "Why GM is failing" and it had something to do with how GM has to pay like shitloads of millions in pensions out to workers from decades ago.

btw wtf was up with Pontiac, towards the end? I hear the G8 was good, but the rest seemed to be pretty...
Old 11-27-2009, 01:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We have a 98 Cavalier that has given us less problems than our 03 civic
Old 11-27-2009, 02:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Rapture
I saw another discussion called "Why GM is failing" and it had something to do with how GM has to pay like shitloads of millions in pensions out to workers from decades ago.
EXACTLY. GM filed for Chapter 11 because it had a ridiculous contract with the UAW. According to BusinessWeek, GM is saddled with a $1,600-per-vehicle handicap in so-called legacy costs, mostly retiree health and pension benefits. So making money on a vehicle like the Cobalt was difficult; GM looked to rental fleets for sales and focused it's R&D elsewhere.

It hasn't been pretty, but it was necessary for the system to fail in order to allow future growth in Detroit.