Why do you think FWD isn't 'luxury'

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 03:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TS_eXpeed
Somebody who is inducing torque steer either 1) has a POS car, or 2) constantly guns it, or any combination of the two.

I never have any problems in my TSX.
They equip the 1G TSX with VTEC that doesn't kick in until 6000 RPM, the car is meant to be gunned from time to time.

I get some degree of torque steer with the TSX every time I accelerate hard from a dead stop. Maybe it's my fault for dropping the clutch too fast, but if it were a RWD vehicle this wouldn't be an issue and I could drop the clutch as I saw fit. This whole ordeal is quite uncomfortable to me.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike
Arguing a point no one disagrees with ... Go back to Ramblings.
Oh, great, thanks-- like we don't have enough of those kinds of posts in Ramblings already??
Old 09-12-2008, 05:33 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Somebody who is inducing torque steer either 1) has a POS car, or 2) constantly guns it, or any combination of the two.

My old CL-S had torque steer.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:10 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Loseit
It may have to do w/ the fact that a luxury car has less to do w/ practicality and more to do w/ percieved excess. the fact that you went the extra mile to build a rwd car...it is more work involved.
+1

There's a reason you almost never see a RWD economy car anymore. FWD is too closely associated with efficiency and cost cutting...the exact characteristics a luxury car isnt.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need torque to have torque steer

On a serious note, I don't really feel it and I push the car pretty hard. Unless you WOT from a dead stop, then it might move a tiny bit but who does that? From a roll, its non-existent. Some companies know how to deal with it (VW/Audi/Honda/Acura)...others, not so much. Drive a Maxima if you want to know what torque steer is.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,414 Posts
good tires FTW with torque steer.... I rarely get torque steer after getting some new tires, and that to is with a power launch... Also with RWD your back end slides out side to side and sends you out of control...

One dude had a signature saying something along the lines of FWD is how fast you hit the wall with the front of your car, RWD is how fast you hit the wall with the back of your car, HP is how fast you hit the wall and Torque is how far you take the wall with you...
Old 09-12-2008, 09:34 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Manual transmission FWD cars tend to have more torque steer than automatics.... I actually don't mind torque steer that much, but I honestly don't know why FWD isn't usually considered luxury. I mean, you can't make an S-Class FWD because that would have some insane torque steer, but its safer to drive. I would think most people who buy luxury cars aren't exactly in it for the performance, and thus may not know much about RWD period, let alone correcting for when the tail steps out.

People are easily influenced by the media and tend to overanalyze things, like how Loseit mentioned that people associated FWD with economy cars. It is strange though.... I doubt the average E-Class owner gives a crap whether their car was FWD or RWD. I'd even venture to say that a good portion of them don't even know what layout their car is.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:47 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
No doubt, most people don't know what cars have FWD and what cars have RWD. My dad for example thinks our long gone 1990 Civic sedan had RWD.....
Old 09-13-2008, 02:11 AM
TL-S izdashiznittt in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You cant really define either one as luxury. But ill tell you this much, AWD is much easier to drive which would technically mean more luxurious? If the TL-S wasnt so badass I wouldnt buy a FWD car, torque steer is terrible. Especially when you hit the gas while turning.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,661 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by JJaber06
You need torque to have torque steer

On a serious note, I don't really feel it and I push the car pretty hard. Unless you WOT from a dead stop, then it might move a tiny bit but who does that? From a roll, its non-existent. Some companies know how to deal with it (VW/Audi/Honda/Acura)...others, not so much. Drive a Maxima if you want to know what torque steer is.
You beat me to it with that response.

The former automakers have engines in their FWD that do not create anywhere near the torque of the latter's VQ35DE. Period. (Ex: My 07 AV6 is simply torqueless unlike my old 02 Maxima.)

After having driven an 08 Murano FWD at length and an 09 Maxima I can confirm that Nissan's CVT mitigates much of the torque steer. But in older Nissan's : TS is a monster.

Back on topic and already indicated, nobody (of any importance) thinks a luxury car cannot have FWD.

Here's an short article that might be of some interest:

Front wheel drive, rear wheel drive, or all wheel drive?
Most modern cars have front wheel drive for a very good reason: front wheel drive is safer and more controllable for the average driver. A front wheel drive vehicle has most of its weight on the front wheels, usually between 60% and 70%, so that it tends to go straight, just like an arrow where the weight is concentrated in the arrowhead. On slippery surfaces, if you give it too much gas in a turn, the front wheels will spin, causing the car to skid straight ahead. Even an inattentive driver will immediately realize there is a problem and let up on the gas, quickly regaining control: whereas a car with rear wheel drive in the same situation might spin the rear out causing the inattentive driver to lose control.

Front wheel drive is also great in the snow. Since most of the weight is on the drive wheels, you get better traction, and if you do get stuck with a spinning wheel in snow or mud, just turn the steering wheel a bit to allow the front tires to get a new bite.

If front wheel drive is so good, then why do any cars have rear wheel drive?
Actually, most luxury cars over $40,000.00 have rear wheel drive, as well as all race cars and most performance-oriented sports cars. Rear wheel drive cars have their weight distributed closer to 50/50 between the front and rear wheels, which is conducive to a smoother, more stable ride. Because of the weight distribution, the rear tires and springs can take on their fair share of the work load so the car can have higher cornering limits and greater maximum stopping power. Braking is also superior on a rear wheel drive car. With front wheel drive, under heavy braking such as in a panic stop, the weight of the car shifts forward so that the front tires may do as much as 85 or 90 % of the work to stop the car. The fact that front wheel drive cars stop well despite this handicap is a testament to the engineering that goes into today's automobiles and tires.

If you need to pull a heavy trailer, you should also be aware that rear wheel drive allows for a greater towing capacity than front wheel drive.

What about all-wheel-drive (4-wheel-drive) vehicles?
The best traction in adverse weather conditions can be had with all-wheel-drive vehicles. All-wheel-drive passenger cars and station wagons, in fact, handle as well as, if not better than many rear drive cars and are as safe and predictable during everyday driving situations as front wheel drive cars. The only disadvantages are initial cost and the fact that they tend to be expensive to repair. Some examples of all-wheel-drive passenger cars are the Audi Quattro, Subaru Outback & Impreza & Jaguar X-Type. Chrysler and Mazda, among others, also make all-wheel-drive mini-vans.
LINK
Old 09-13-2008, 07:00 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 954 Likes on 517 Posts
For me, I think FWD is a cop out of sorts. I mean, very small transaxle, efficient packaging, lower cost. It seems that a true luxury ride would have an AWD or RWD setup. Maybe its just me.

Oh, and I can get some torque steer from my Honda. That sucks ass, as the front is hopping around. Not a good feeling.

And my Legacy is AWD......

Last edited by mrmako; 09-13-2008 at 07:03 AM.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:59 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts

you make the worst arguments
Old 09-13-2008, 03:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
who cares are as long as the car is comfortable?

CL-S does not have torque steer even when I stomp on it due VSA and ECU limiting power in first 2 gears with newer ecu programming. Never noticed it in the 08TL loaner I had while they were working on the CL-S

The ONLY time I noticed any torque steer in the car is when I step on it when starting out on a turn...........

my co worker has an audi a6 and he thinks that the new TL is a very nice "Luxury" car
Old 09-15-2008, 04:15 AM
intelligentsia

Location: Land of cheap vodka, hot girls, and great nightlife
Originally Posted by charliemike
The 3-series, C-Class, A4, IS, ES, G37, TSX/TL, and whatever else I've forgotten are not "luxury". They are always called "near-luxury" cars.

Luxury cars are usually the E-Class, 5-Series and up ...

How many of THOSE cars are FWD?
A4 is fwd front trac, ES fwd, TSX/TL FWD. So quite a few, theres nothing with FWD but I would perfer AWD. Living where it snows sucks with FWD and is even worse with RWD.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:38 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by SRK85
A4 is fwd front trac, ES fwd, TSX/TL FWD. So quite a few, theres nothing with FWD but I would perfer AWD. Living where it snows sucks with FWD and is even worse with RWD.
Umm, what is your point? Those are not "luxury" cars by normal definition. They are "near-luxury".
Old 09-15-2008, 11:53 AM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
FWD is used because its cheaper to make. Depends on how you view luxury. To me its a no no...
Old 09-15-2008, 01:19 PM
old school

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Wow, I somehow missed this thread last week. I agree with pretty much all of the responses that basically said, "WTF? RWD = performance, not luxury," but I've got to add a couple of things...

Originally Posted by CL6
What concrete reasons are there? FWD does have many advantages:
1. Better gas mileage
2. Shorter hoodline
3. More interior room
4. Better handling in poor weather vs. RWD
5. Cheaper to build
6. Cheaper to maintain
7. Predictable handling
8. Most people don't drive like Jackie Stewart
These are bad arguments that something is a luxury car.

Originally Posted by paliknight
well, acura, lexus, and infiniti are considered to be japanese luxury. so any of those cars are luxury.
I thought all of Infiniti's sedans were RWD/AWD. Not to mention every Lexus besides the ES.

Originally Posted by iTimmy
I want left wheel drive, I think driving the right side wheels/tires is over rated.

BTW, I personally think AWD > FWD > RWD, but that's because I live in the northeast where it snows.

Last edited by elessar; 09-15-2008 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:15 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
9. Better traction in snow
10. Easier to drive (more predictable) at mid-speed+ in very adverse weather conditions than both RWD and AWD.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:48 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts

because ur TSX has no Torque or HP and understeer feel like having a fine ass chick that you cant fuck. Dont you hate that?

Last edited by oonowindoo; 09-15-2008 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
You ever see a front wheel drive V12? Thats why.

Luxury = Excess =/= economy
Old 09-15-2008, 09:33 PM
Too much chrome

All wheel drive FTW
Old 09-15-2008, 11:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally Posted by mclarenf3387
You ever see a front wheel drive V12? Thats why.

Luxury = Excess =/= economy
wondering how it feels to launch a V12 TT 700 lb torq Front wheel Drive car?
Old 09-16-2008, 02:28 AM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

If FWD was luxury then all of the expensive cars would have it. Before we get bogged down on what the definition of 'expensive' is let's say Rolls, MB, BMW, Audi above the cheap VW knock-offs, etc.

BMW and MB don't make any FWD cars sold in the US. Audi uses FWD because they are making people pay more for Passats.

So, thus far, no answers I guess?
Old 09-16-2008, 06:22 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 954 Likes on 517 Posts
Originally Posted by Saintor
9. Better traction in snow
10. Easier to drive (more predictable) at mid-speed+ in very adverse weather conditions than both RWD and AWD.
So a vehicle with AWD is LESS predictable and harder to drive than AWD? Wow, I hope you go to a driving school and learn how that is not a truth..... And I grew up learning how to drive in Western NY...Lots of snow mate, more than Montreal.

Cheers
Old 09-16-2008, 01:03 PM
The Box

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
I personally think that RWD is a lot more fun to drive than FWD. I've driven the 08 TL and the under-steer when you get on it is insane. I almost smacked into a van driving in the lane next to me. In my GS400, the car was always straight on and took off with no hesitation.....although the GS wasn't that much fun trying to pull out of the driveway in snow. I'm not really taking either side but if I didn't live where snow is an issue, I would probably more than likely get a RWD car....and if I do get a RWD car for my next vehicle I guess I'll just be forced to buy some snow tires.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by vas25tl
I personally think that RWD is a lot more fun to drive than FWD. I've driven the 08 TL and the under-steer when you get on it is insane. I almost smacked into a van driving in the lane next to me. In my GS400, the car was always straight on and took off with no hesitation.....although the GS wasn't that much fun trying to pull out of the driveway in snow. I'm not really taking either side but if I didn't live where snow is an issue, I would probably more than likely get a RWD car....and if I do get a RWD car for my next vehicle I guess I'll just be forced to buy some snow tires.
Those issues are a driver issue and not a FWD/RWD issue.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:24 PM
The Box

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
I get some degree of torque steer with the TSX every time I accelerate hard from a dead stop. Maybe it's my fault for dropping the clutch too fast, but if it were a RWD vehicle this wouldn't be an issue and I could drop the clutch as I saw fit. This whole ordeal is quite uncomfortable to me.
+1
Those issues are a driver issue and not a FWD/RWD issue.
I agree there is a lot to do with the driver but you can't tell me that there is no torque steer in powerful FWD cars...
Old 09-16-2008, 04:17 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by mrmako
So a vehicle with AWD is LESS predictable and harder to drive than AWD? Wow, I hope you go to a driving school and learn how that is not a truth..... And I grew up learning how to drive in Western NY...Lots of snow mate, more than Montreal.

Cheers
I am sure that we get more snow here (not in immediate Montreal). And I owned 2 AWD cars. FWD is definitely more predictable and easier to recover when in trouble. And no, AWD won't keep you out of troubles.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:18 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

RWD is more fun to drive if you know what you're doing. For most people, FWD is safer. But getting the ass to pop out on an S2000 is endless fun. Plus, here in San Francisco, FWD sucks on the hills.