Why do so many people drive like absolute $h!t?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 06:37 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by jsonkimz
I completely agree that it's been going on for years... Far more years than I've been driving or even aliev, but I still don't think it was quite as common. Today is seems like literally every other person drives irresponsibly. And I really do think that you can attribute this to the technology of today. I would think that you would HAVE to admit that it's getting worse and more common. However bad it may have been. Yes?

The author's main point was actually about all aspects of life, so you're definitely right about that. I simply placed it in automotive terms. But it could absolutely be applied to just about anything. Just a random example: Do you think NFL players would be leading with their helmet and hitting as hard if they still used the same pads and helmets as 20-30 years ago? Not likely. But this point illustrates even better that it's a GOOD thing that we're developing these new safety features, we just need to use them responsibly.

I fully agree that it's more relevent than ever because of the sheer population numbers. I believe I briefly mentioned it in my first post. You just expounded on it.

I try to read as often as I can... sometimes I get to for enjoyment, other times it's required. But it's always necessary, IMO. :wink:
A false sense of security can get people hurt or killed as quickly as a lack of security. When people are imbued with false security, they do take greater chances than they may otherwise not have taken. That or they willingly place themselves in situations where they are defenseless because the "believe" themselves safe. We see this all the time in so many ways and places. What the purveyers of "safety at all costs and for all" are missing is the more you remove people from threats, accidents, and mishaps, the more you make them vulnerable to catastrophe.

Walking around in a cocoon with one's head in the sand is foolish and a sure recipe for disaster. And accidents and evil doers do not suffer fools.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:53 PM
Bonki' Ehrite!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermonMermon
< Miami / Miami Beach - the worst.

The perfect storm...i really cant think of a worse combination:

Compared to most cities/regions...

-High % of uninsured drivers
-High % of illegal aliens
-High % of GTA
-High % of elderly drivers
-High % of foreign travelers driving rentals
-Massive inner-city traffic that most are not accustomed to
-Horrible, horrible road signs. I drove down a one way street in the wrong direction for 3 blocks last night without coming across a single sign that said otherwise.

Insurance rates reflect this...progessive told me my miami zip has one of the highest rates in the nation. I avoid an accident on a daily basis. Ive been here a month and now understand why my insurance is so high. I will be shocked if i go a year without getting into an accident.

That is pretty accurate on the streets of miami...

And btw, beautiful avy