Why do so many people drive like absolute $h!t?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 09:08 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
It's everywhere. I may speed, but i know the rules of the road and have learned to watch out for others. I can normally read other drivers pretty well but they do surprise you everyday.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
The real answer to this question is simple: Driving - while officially a privilege - is an unofficial right. Hence, people feel that they are entitled to drive any way they wish to no matter how poorly that my be.

While I regularly commute via commuter rail daily (and drive little during the week), on occasion I do drive in to work and that experience makes me more than happy with my daily train commute.

That said, because I've been commuting by train regularly for the past seven years my own driving abilities are not as sharp as they were when I first joined Azine. But I KNOW that I'm better than most here in NJ...which is not exactly a stretch.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:43 AM
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by CanopyFlyer
I have my fair share of bone headedness too. I was turning left onto a major 2-lane road that is currently under construction. I'm always careful about this intersection, because cars coming from the right are doing nearly 55mph down a hill. I started my turn and suddenly this girl in a small car appears. Not her fault, she was slowing to turn into the road I was currently on. Her car was completely hidden behind my TL's A-pillar, and I failed to do my normal head jostling to clear that space. She was pissed too, justifiably so, I waved and mouthed "sorry" to her.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

It's nice to hear some people have this apologetic attitude. I try to act this way as well. But it's usually extremely easy to tell when someone had a quick lapse in safe driving and when someone is just being moronic (which is probably the norm for them).
<o:p></o:p>
That is one thing I try to do, if I screwed up, is tell the other driver that I'm aware of my screw up and apologize. People can't be 100%, it's impossible, but they can drive correctly 90% of the time. The 10% that they screw up, hopefully, is during the other driver's 90% and an accident is avoided.<o:p></o:p>
Back to utterly stupid drivers. I was dropping my oldest son off at pre-school, and parked next to a Nissan Armada and noticed that the tires were completely bald. An 8" snow was on its way that day too. I pointed this out to the woman, politely, as the tires were dangerous even in dry conditions. Her reply was; "Well it's 4-wheel drive!" She then went blithely into the school. I was stunned. Here it is a month later and she has yet to replace the tires.
This is about as true as it gets. Unfortunately, only about 5% of people on the road are ever at 90%. The numbers aren't looking good. It then becomes our responsibility to be aware for other drivers. I learned this quickly when I got my first motorcycle. You have to drive for EVERYONE on the road. It's regrettable, but it seems most people have the same mindset of your Armada lady... a negligent and "it won't happen to me" mentality. And THAT'S what is so dangerous.<o:p></o:p>
Originally Posted by KillerG
@southernboy<o:p></o:p>
I hope i run into more people like you on the road <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=Picture_x0020_1 style="VISIBILITY: visible; WIDTH: 12pt; HEIGHT: 12pt; mso-wrap-style: square" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="https://acurazine.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif" o:spid="_x0000_i1026"><v:imagedata o:title="smile" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\jekimse\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\ clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>
Not literally, I hope. <o:p></o:p>
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Why thank you... figuratively, of course.

<v:shape id=Picture_x0020_2 style="VISIBILITY: visible; WIDTH: 18.75pt; HEIGHT: 14.25pt; mso-wrap-style: square" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="0" o:spid="_x0000_i1025"><v:imagedata o:title="0" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\jekimse\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\ clip_image002.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>
<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>
I wrote earlier that the two most dangerous driving activities are errors in judgment and those involving deliberate actions. Both can be deadly but the worse of the two is deliberate actions because the driver is doing dangerous things on purpose. Well there is a third dangerous activity. Not being aware of your surroundings. Any one of these activities can get you or someone else killed. And I would bet all of us are guilty of having done all three at some point in our lives.<o:p></o:p>
I can tell you straight up that the third one has saved my life several times from almost certain death in two instances in particular. It was only through my awareness of what was about to happen and the moves I made to escape the events that I am here today to write this.<o:p></o:p>
So never take anything for granted. Always be aware of your surroundings (God, I used to preach this to my daughters until I was blue in the face, and not only about driving). Expect the unexpected and expect it can happen anytime, under most any circumstances, and anywhere. Get away from those who are deliberately doing crazy stuff in your vicinity (let them die, not you). Leave enough of a buffer so that you might be able to correct for someone's error in judgment. And play "what if" games. Those little games could save your life.<o:p></o:p>
Finally, if you are of a mind to feel squirrely and want to stretch your car's legs and push it a might, find somewhere where you can do this safely... a lonely stretch of road where if someone is going to get hurt, it's only going to be you. Never forget, stupidity doesn't suffer fools. When you escape a stupid action, you just got lucky.
My sentiments, exactly. This mindset would do a lot of could and save a lot of problems.<o:p></o:p>

Last edited by jsonkimz; 02-01-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Bonki' Ehrite!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I just... I just dont get it guys. I get out on the road everyday and do my best to respect others and get myself to where i am going in a timely manner. Its just that the overwhelming majority of people I interact with on the road on a daily basis are...to put it lightly, fucking morons. The occasions where i have seen good driving in my recent memory i could count on my fingers and toes probably. And no this problem isnt region specific to where I am, its much worse, its national. I travel frequently and every area has a lot of asshats.

So many people do not belong on the road. And whats worse is the government thinks that we need to baby our retarded drivers and add more black boxes, airbags, and pedestrian crash safety measures to reduce road accidents

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!

what you need is more DRIVER EDUCATION. You could add every safety feature in the book but if you dont improve the driver its still a rolling death machine. Thank you though, mercedes, for trying so hard and adding a fuck ton of new safety features all the time...

All i am saying is that a lot of people are lucky that my communist revolution never took root in America, if it did, and I became transportation Czar, i would make driving tests required for license renewal and they would occur YEARLY. Seriously, one day out of the year every year is a small sacrifice to make for having the peace of mind to know that people are still being educated on how to drive... the current driving test is pitiful, pathetic, and doesnt teach you shit. Fuck you, majority of American drivers.

*PS - sincere thanks to small minority of drivers who have respect and courtesy on the road for others and pedestrians. you are the unsung heroes of the automotive world

You are my hero.
Thank you.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
Another point:

I dont give a shit if you are speeding, there is a time and a place though.

another thing that gets me is when people are trying to do ludicrous speeds in cars that cant handle them. The other day a ferrari 430 passed me by going easily 120 on a straightaway, i was the only other car on the road and all i could think was

yesterday im driving and a honda fit pulls up behind me at 100 miles per hour tailgaiting (i already was going very fast) and then speeding off into the next lane cutting through people over and over like he was in a lotus exige. Really, bro?
Old 02-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
People cant drive and not playing the racist card but its usually little old asian ladies or indian women. the ones that sit 1 inch away from the steering wheel.

Yesterday im driving on the street and this little lady is driving literally 20 mph on a 45 and I cant go around I was so tempted to drive on the shoulder and pass her ass I high beamed beep nothing she was still going hella slow finally I took a side street and was able to get in front of her
Old 02-01-2011, 10:55 AM
Op is too busy to care

Originally Posted by Flipster23
People cant drive and not playing the racist card but its usually little old asian ladies or indian women.

HEY. MY MOM IS A LITTLE OLD INDIAN WOMAN

and she sits 1 inch away from the steering wheel too haha she never drives anymore though unless its local and has never driven on the turnpike
Old 02-01-2011, 11:01 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
People cant drive and not playing the racist card but its usually .... asian ladies ....

My wife laughs at you, little man, as she speeds up to pass you, cuts you off, then slows down to 5 mph under the speed limit.

HA!

HAHA!!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Be a better driver

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
The root of the problem is not so much lack of education as it is lack of common sense. What the current test lacks is educating new drivers on what courtesy is. What current drivers lack is common sense. Add the ever increasing hustle and bustle that is today's American society, and you are left with a large population of lazy, discourteous, selfish people who only care about getting where they're going and doing whatever they have to do to get there. How many people give you "the wave" for letting them in? I hardly ever see it.

As a result you get accidents, people blaming cars for their own mistakes (Toyota situation), etc. Then you start seeing new features in cars, like...

1) Tire pressure sensors - because people apparently can't check their own tire pressure and end up blowing a tire or losing control of their vehicle.
2) Self parking system - some drivers are so dumb that they literally do not know how to park their own car.
3) Auto cruise control - drivers can't consciously leave enough room between them and the car in front of them on their own, nor do they have the basic sensory ability to watch the car ahead of them and match its speed. This is not difficult, we've been doing it for decades.
4) Auto braking - duh?
5) Lane change warning - I don't even know what to say about this one.

The list goes on... and tech companies are developing devices that will read speed signs (or have zones programmed in) that regulate how fast you can go and where (GTR already has vaguely similar to this). The feds are trying to regulate everything, like the texting while driving law. Texting on your phone is no different than scrolling through songs on your ipod to pick one, or whatever else. Are we going to make a law for that too? It makes no sense. Or forcing people to wear a seatbelt. The only person you hurt by not wearing your seatbelt is yourself, no one should have the right to tell you to wear one. We have to leave some things to common sense and let people make decisions, for better or worse.

Really though, if you think about it, it's not like this just recently became a huge problem. It started long ago with the implementation of DRL's, at least in this country. These serve no purpose other than to help idiots who forget to turn their lights on when it gets dark. A dim light in the daytime is not helping anything.

Bottom line is driving is not considered an art by the greater majority of the population, and as such the details that make it what it use to be are lost. And the stupidity of the few have ruined it for all. The saddest part about all of it is, you don't have to be an enthusiast to practice good driving sense.

Last edited by RedRyder; 02-01-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
My wife laughs at you, little man, as she speeds up to pass you, cuts you off, then slows down to 5 mph under the speed limit.

HA!

HAHA!!
LOL! and people that do that get called every name in the book haha

people do that alot though actually drive hella fast get in front of u and then go slow!! urrrghhh
Old 02-01-2011, 11:34 AM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Everyone sucks at driving but everyone thinks they are the best. Just how it is. Our drivers education system should be like Finland. Best drivers in the world.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:55 AM
Pro

Another point:

I dont give a shit if you are speeding, there is a time and a place though.

another thing that gets me is when people are trying to do ludicrous speeds in cars that cant handle them. The other day a ferrari 430 passed me by going easily 120 on a straightaway, i was the only other car on the road and all i could think was

yesterday im driving and a honda fit pulls up behind me at 100 miles per hour tailgaiting (i already was going very fast) and then speeding off into the next lane cutting through people over and over like he was in a lotus exige. Really, bro?
There is a time and a place for speeding... within reason. But I'm sorry, Ferrari or not, 120+ on a public road is never smart. That's far too excessive; take it to the track. In my opinion, Mr. Ferrari isn't much smarter than Mr. Fit (at least there were no other cars on the road). Sure, it's awesome to witness right until he loses control or has a blow out.

As for the Fit, I can't help but think that you're going ~90+ in the Corrola that's listed in your sig? In the same traffic?

Ferrari, Fit, Corrola.... probably safer to just keep it around the legal limit.

Last edited by jsonkimz; 02-01-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:26 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
All i am saying is that a lot of people are lucky that my communist revolution never took root in America, if it did, and I became transportation Czar, i would make driving tests required for license renewal and they would occur YEARLY. Seriously, one day out of the year every year is a small sacrifice to make for having the peace of mind to know that people are still being educated on how to drive...
You would need to hire thousands more people to test all the extra millions of drivings you will be testing annually while also trying to fit in the new-driver tests. I wouldn't mind if people needed to be re-tested, but I would base it on people who have certain driving offences.

Here, there are MULTIPLE tests a driver must go through over the period of TWO YEARS in order to obtain a final licence. These tests are also done on everyday, busy roads -- not on a closed course. And these tests can take up to 45 minutes to an hour. We also have a plan where people over a certain age are required to be re-tested on a regular basis as well (seniors).

I was in FLA when a family member did her initial road test at 15 (pfff) and it took all of 3 minutes, was on a closed course without a single other car. It was PATHETIC.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:38 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Don't think it's that most people don't care about their driving....I think it's more like they think they're invincible. "Ohh...I'll just tailgate - I can stop in time"....."I'll swerve into this lane here -- he'll stop for me" etc. If you told someone they were going to die in a car crash they caused when they leave this morning, I think they'd care. They just don't think it will happen to them.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:49 PM
I Skydive, Therefore I Am

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RedRyder
The root of the problem is not so much lack of education as it is lack of common sense.
RedRyder, I have to respectfully disagree. Softly though! The rest of your post was very good.

Why I disagree is that driving a car is not a natural act. It has to be taught, so "common sense" really doesn't apply. The bulk of the problems on the road are directly attributable to the utter lack of driver's education.

That and the fact that it is too easy to obtain a license, and way too difficult to lose it. Here in Wisconsin you read about people getting their 5th DUI, yet still not losing their license. One a$$hat was recently pulled over, nearly 3x the legal limit, and it was his 9th offense, yes NINTH. The guy should have never been behind the wheel, EVER AGAIN, after his 2nd.

Another story to add to the pile. My family and I went grocery shopping last Sunday. While loading everything into the car, this dingbat in an Infinity G20 started backing up her car while on her cell phone. Not paying attention to the other car, directly behind her, that was already halfway into the lane. I tapped on her window, and pointed, and she just flipped me off and continued on her marry way. Fortunately the other driver saw what was happening and scooted. I was absolutely floored at the display of sheer stupidity.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Street Spirit
Don't think it's that most people don't care about their driving....I think it's more like they think they're invincible. "Ohh...I'll just tailgate - I can stop in time"....."I'll swerve into this lane here -- he'll stop for me" etc. If you told someone they were going to die in a car crash they caused when they leave this morning, I think they'd care. They just don't think it will happen to them.
I think your examples pretty much illustrate the issue as being a matter of selfishness. The people think of only themselves and not of how their actions can impact others on the road.

To me, that seems to be the biggest thing lacking in our driver education. We teach people the mechanics, but fail to teach them about how they need to change their mentality. For instance, a concept such as rate of closure is not going to come naturally for everyone, but is a critical concept in driving. Being able to judge how quickly you are coming up on an intersection or how quickly that oncoming car is approaching the intersection you are trying to make a turn at can mean the difference between a clean turn and causing a traffic accident.

Another example is when people who insist on cutting in front of everyone else, only to drive slower than everyone else. That person is failing to consider the fact that by cutting into a lane full of other people and driving slower than the speed everyone else was moving at, they are causing congestion and contributing to traffic as well as increasing peoples' stress levels. However, had they decided to just stay where they were before and waited until the group of faster moving cars passed, they would have avoided the entire situation and made it a better drive for everyone.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:32 PM
Be a better driver

RedRyder, I have to respectfully disagree. Softly though! The rest of your post was very good.

Why I disagree is that driving a car is not a natural act. It has to be taught, so "common sense" really doesn't apply. The bulk of the problems on the road are directly attributable to the utter lack of driver's education.

That and the fact that it is too easy to obtain a license, and way too difficult to lose it. Here in Wisconsin you read about people getting their 5th DUI, yet still not losing their license. One a$$hat was recently pulled over, nearly 3x the legal limit, and it was his 9th offense, yes NINTH. The guy should have never been behind the wheel, EVER AGAIN, after his 2nd.

Another story to add to the pile. My family and I went grocery shopping last Sunday. While loading everything into the car, this dingbat in an Infinity G20 started backing up her car while on her cell phone. Not paying attention to the other car, directly behind her, that was already halfway into the lane. I tapped on her window, and pointed, and she just flipped me off and continued on her marry way. Fortunately the other driver saw what was happening and scooted. I was absolutely floored at the display of sheer stupidity.
I understand what you are saying, and I agree that education plays a role (read the sentence after the one you quoted). A person must be taught how to drive a car, for sure. But when someone is taught how to drive, they are not taught to go through an intersection and turn around if they miss their turn, instead of trying to get over two lanes of traffic and hold everyone up. They are not taught to wait in line when two lanes are merging, instead of speeding ahead of everyone and then cutting in way up in front ahead of everyone who is patiently waiting. They are not taught to keep to the right on the interstate of there is faster traffic, etc etc.

I was not taught any of the above, but I am a very courteous driver, and common sense tells me that if we all cooperate with each other on the road, we'll all get to where we're going faster and more safely. I guess what I'm saying is, there are a large number of problems on the road that are not addressed in driving school, and drivers need to exercise common sense in those instances. And if we biuld the right education program, hopefully the other things will come more naturally. But we can't teach everyone everything...common sense has to be used.

I cannot believe that woman gave you the bird...she must have been so embarassed that she didn't want to admit she was wrong and just got frusterated. There is no logical reasoning behind her reaction to your action. Good thing you did that, though! And I agree it is too hard to lose your license. People who are driving dangerously slow on roads and interstates should be just as closely watched as speeders.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Op is too busy to care

Originally Posted by jsonkimz
There is a time and a place for speeding... within reason. But I'm sorry, Ferrari or not, 120+ on a public road is never smart. That's far too excessive; take it to the track. In my opinion, Mr. Ferrari isn't much smarter than Mr. Fit (at least there were no other cars on the road). Sure, it's awesome to witness right until he loses control or has a blow out.

As for the Fit, I can't help but think that you're going ~90+ in the Corrola that's listed in your sig? In the same traffic?

Ferrari, Fit, Corrola.... probably safer to just keep it around the legal limit.
Not all my cars are listed on my sig;

on a completely empty road on the NJ turnpike at 4 am in the morning if the guy with with an f430 wants to stretch his legs a little i dont really care. for that matter if the guy with the honda fit wanted to drive at 120 miles i wouldnt care either.

What i mean is that people need to be considerate of the limitations of their cars, especially people in SUVs who drive like they are in mclaren f1s. Hats off to the black driver in an SUV that cut me off in the last snowstorm and ended up in a ditch 5 min later
Old 02-01-2011, 02:01 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
at this thread because its so true

its bad aroudn my neighborhood too man, lots of asian drivers...(not being rasist as im asian myself) but damn, some ppl have NO IDEA what they are doing.

one time i was making a left turn on a small street and there was a dip, so i went slow so i wont scratch my baby. this white lady behind me honked, so i got pissed and flipped her off, then proceed to drive REALLY slow infront of her. her expression was priceless

but yeah, have to say i made some mistakes at times that probably made me a bad driver, but road experiences will add up right? haha
Old 02-01-2011, 02:11 PM
Bonki' Ehrite!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
People cant drive and not playing the racist card but its usually little old asian ladies or indian women. the ones that sit 1 inch away from the steering wheel.

Yesterday im driving on the street and this little lady is driving literally 20 mph on a 45 and I cant go around I was so tempted to drive on the shoulder and pass her ass I high beamed beep nothing she was still going hella slow finally I took a side street and was able to get in front of her

You mean the old ladies that would get decapitated in the event that the airbag goes off?
Old 02-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 990 Likes on 532 Posts
So if I'm surrounded by asian drivers, does this mean I am screwed?

Seriously, I feel if the US had a high dollar amount invested in a license, and an easy way to lose it, that would help out. But then you would have to have cops that were fair.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:29 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Originally Posted by mrmako
So if I'm surrounded by asian drivers, does this mean I am screwed?

Seriously, I feel if the US had a high dollar amount invested in a license, and an easy way to lose it, that would help out. But then you would have to have cops that were fair.
my friend in the marines is stationed over there, and is a accident cop.

Carry on.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:30 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ANC297
You mean the old ladies that would get decapitated in the event that the airbag goes off?

just saw, I was on lunch break @ work walking back from the bank and this lady was sitting pretty high inside her car she drove pass me once and I had to double look She parked @ a meter and I walked passed her car to notice that she was sitting on phone books WTF! If your that short how do u reach the pedal
Old 02-01-2011, 09:35 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
The root of the problem is not so much lack of education as it is lack of common sense. What the current test lacks is educating new drivers on what courtesy is. What current drivers lack is common sense. Add the ever increasing hustle and bustle that is today's American society, and you are left with a large population of lazy, discourteous, selfish people who only care about getting where they're going and doing whatever they have to do to get there. How many people give you "the wave" for letting them in? I hardly ever see it.

As a result you get accidents, people blaming cars for their own mistakes (Toyota situation), etc. Then you start seeing new features in cars, like...

1) Tire pressure sensors - because people apparently can't check their own tire pressure and end up blowing a tire or losing control of their vehicle.
2) Self parking system - some drivers are so dumb that they literally do not know how to park their own car.
3) Auto cruise control - drivers can't consciously leave enough room between them and the car in front of them on their own, nor do they have the basic sensory ability to watch the car ahead of them and match its speed. This is not difficult, we've been doing it for decades.
4) Auto braking - duh?
5) Lane change warning - I don't even know what to say about this one.

The list goes on... and tech companies are developing devices that will read speed signs (or have zones programmed in) that regulate how fast you can go and where (GTR already has vaguely similar to this). The feds are trying to regulate everything, like the texting while driving law. Texting on your phone is no different than scrolling through songs on your ipod to pick one, or whatever else. Are we going to make a law for that too? It makes no sense. Or forcing people to wear a seatbelt. The only person you hurt by not wearing your seatbelt is yourself, no one should have the right to tell you to wear one. We have to leave some things to common sense and let people make decisions, for better or worse.

Really though, if you think about it, it's not like this just recently became a huge problem. It started long ago with the implementation of DRL's, at least in this country. These serve no purpose other than to help idiots who forget to turn their lights on when it gets dark. A dim light in the daytime is not helping anything.

Bottom line is driving is not considered an art by the greater majority of the population, and as such the details that make it what it use to be are lost. And the stupidity of the few have ruined it for all. The saddest part about all of it is, you don't have to be an enthusiast to practice good driving sense.

Your list of technologies making people 'stupid drivers' is not a new opinion. When seatbelts were first fitted in cars, people said they were only for people who didn't know how to drive. Now it's stability control getting the same flack. By your rant, I believe it's safe to assume you think there are perfect drivers when the fact is, there aren't. Nobody is perfect and studies have shown that one in every hundred driving decisions is said to be wrong. In many cases, one may be unaware of their ever-so-brief mistake until it's too late, if they become aware of it at all.

As for seatbelts being required, you are wrong about one not choosing to wear one only affecting them. When a car rolls over, an unsecured person will go bouncing around the interior of that car, hitting anything (and anyone) in their way. Anybody not buckled in the backseat will go flying forward in the event of a frontal collision and in several cases, front-seat passengers who were belted were actually paralyzed when unbelted rear seat passengers came catapulting forward. Do you really want to get hit by a 200-pound person numerous times at high speeds because they believed not wearing a seatbelt affected only them? The only time not wearing a seatbelt affects only you is when you are alone in the car.

I will agree with you on the DRL argument though....I think they're stupid as hell.

Last edited by PortlandRL; 02-01-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:14 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
My take on this?

Drivers in NA consider an operator's license a right. They never consider it to be a privilege. I've driven in places besides NA, and I can honestly claim that they are more attentive and responsible drivers.

In Canada (and I assume the US as well), a new driver has the right to acquire an operators license with little training. They have a right to occupy a piece of the roadway, and they have the right to drive as they see fit and not let others infringe upon their little "space". The problem is an attitude more than anything. Until people no longer consider driving as a right and instead acknowledge it as a privilege requiring responsibility, the majority of drivers will continue to act with little accountability.

As a lifetime motorcyclist, I learned this many, many years ago.

Terry
Old 02-02-2011, 12:34 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Terry knocks it out of the park yet again.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:08 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by teranfon
My take on this?

Drivers in NA consider an operator's license a right. They never consider it to be a privilege. I've driven in places besides NA, and I can honestly claim that they are more attentive and responsible drivers.

In Canada (and I assume the US as well), a new driver has the right to acquire an operators license with little training. They have a right to occupy a piece of the roadway, and they have the right to drive as they see fit and not let others infringe upon their little "space". The problem is an attitude more than anything. Until people no longer consider driving as a right and instead acknowledge it as a privilege requiring responsibility, the majority of drivers will continue to act with little accountability.

As a lifetime motorcyclist, I learned this many, many years ago.

Terry
While many (perhaps most) drivers certainly do consider driving a right, it is in fact here in the U.S., a privilege. I am sure that there are probably as many varied driving habits/mannerisms as there are drivers since each one of us are unique. The problem arises when we enter the roadways and don't take serious how fast a mistake can take place and how injurious its results can be. We tend to be cavalier as we motor down the highway, with the expectations that we will arrive at our destination in the same shape we left.

Thank God this is the case most always. But then a car enters an intersection on a just turned green in the through lane only to be T-boned by someone running the red light because that's what they frequently do. In a flash, that person's whole life may have just changed; assuming they survive the encounter.

For a mind game, think of all of the accidents you have heard about over the years (I know, you really can't do this) that were what many might refer to as freak or the type of accident that should never have happened. But it did. Many years ago when I was in another line of work, our receptionist, a young full-of-life girl, was taking her boy friend back to Virginia Tech in her VW bug. As they crested a hill on a two-lane country road, they were met head on by another vehicle in their lane. Neither of them survived. When I taught my wife and both of my daughters how to drive, I spent many hours playing "what if" games with them and purposely doing things to distract them to see how them would respond - to get them to learn how to handle a car in a sudden crisis situation. I can only hope it worked as my daughters are grown women now with families of their own.

Still as careful and alert we might think we are, there is always that chance that the odds might catch up with us. A moment when we are distracted. Messing with the radio or navigation system. Turning to look at something too long. Or just not paying our full attention to what we are doing. I have had a number of instances over the years that may have turned out differently had I not practiced what I had spent a lot of time training myself to do. And yet, I am still of a mind that anything that can happen, might happen and the only thing that I can do about it, other than not drive, is to continually improve my skills and always, always be aware of my surroundings.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:57 AM
Be a better driver

Originally Posted by PortlandRL
Your list of technologies making people 'stupid drivers' is not a new opinion. When seatbelts were first fitted in cars, people said they were only for people who didn't know how to drive. Now it's stability control getting the same flack. By your rant, I believe it's safe to assume you think there are perfect drivers when the fact is, there aren't. Nobody is perfect and studies have shown that one in every hundred driving decisions is said to be wrong. In many cases, one may be unaware of their ever-so-brief mistake until it's too late, if they become aware of it at all.
Originally Posted by PortlandRL

As for seatbelts being required, you are wrong about one not choosing to wear one only affecting them. When a car rolls over, an unsecured person will go bouncing around the interior of that car, hitting anything (and anyone) in their way. Anybody not buckled in the backseat will go flying forward in the event of a frontal collision and in several cases, front-seat passengers who were belted were actually paralyzed when unbelted rear seat passengers came catapulting forward. Do you really want to get hit by a 200-pound person numerous times at high speeds because they believed not wearing a seatbelt affected only them? The only time not wearing a seatbelt affects only you is when you are alone in the car.

I will agree with you on the DRL argument though....I think they're stupid as hell.
I did not state that my opinion was revolutionary, nor did I state anywhere that there are perfect/imperfect drivers. Not sure where you got any of that. The point is that people think adding all these driver aids to cars is the answer to the problem. They can help lessen the danger, but only to a certain extent because there is no replacement for common sense when it comes to people operating motor vehicles. I agree that drivers make wrong decisions, but if we were all a little more cautious in the decisions we make and how we execute them around other drivers...dangers would be significantly reduced.

But anyway, I should have clarified about the seat belt issue - I did mean if it's just you in the car. I always wear my belt, and make any passengers wear theirs, just saying the principle behind the leglislation is wrong.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Registered Member

I did not state that my opinion was revolutionary, nor did I state anywhere that there are perfect/imperfect drivers. Not sure where you got any of that. The point is that people think adding all these driver aids to cars is the answer to the problem. They can help lessen the danger, but only to a certain extent because there is no replacement for common sense when it comes to people operating motor vehicles. I agree that drivers make wrong decisions, but if we were all a little more cautious in the decisions we make and how we execute them around other drivers...dangers would be significantly reduced.

But anyway, I should have clarified about the seat belt issue - I did mean if it's just you in the car. I always wear my belt, and make any passengers wear theirs, just saying the principle behind the leglislation is wrong.
I'm also completely against seat belt laws for one simple reason. You own your self, not the government. They have no business forcing you to wear a seat belt. If you suffer the consequences, well so be it. I know better than to even think of moving my vehicles out of my garage or driveway without first fastening my seat belt. I sure as hell don't need some bureaucrap telling me what to do.

Sorry but the mentality of the nanny state really gets to me.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
< Miami / Miami Beach - the worst.

The perfect storm...i really cant think of a worse combination:

Compared to most cities/regions...

-High % of uninsured drivers
-High % of illegal aliens
-High % of GTA
-High % of elderly drivers
-High % of foreign travelers driving rentals
-Massive inner-city traffic that most are not accustomed to
-Horrible, horrible road signs. I drove down a one way street in the wrong direction for 3 blocks last night without coming across a single sign that said otherwise.

Insurance rates reflect this...progessive told me my miami zip has one of the highest rates in the nation. I avoid an accident on a daily basis. Ive been here a month and now understand why my insurance is so high. I will be shocked if i go a year without getting into an accident.

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 02-03-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:33 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Why do so many people drive like absolute shit?
...because they still give drivers licenses to female asians.
Fixed :wink:
Old 02-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Op is too busy to care

the most recent thing about the nanny state that really pissed me off is mandatory backup cameras...what the fuck.. what an unnecessary expense
Old 02-03-2011, 02:14 PM
6th Gear

Defensive Driver

No matter how good a driver you are there's one thing that is really scary: drivers who run through red lights, and I mean after the light is red for a few seconds!!

I almost got t-boned last year cause an idiot just drove thru the red light like it wasn't even there. He didn't even slowed down!! And the driver was doing bout 35-40. I always remembered the driving ed instructor's words: When you get the green light always let the other guy to your right or left go first through the intersection!
Old 02-04-2011, 06:01 AM
Pro

I was into some reading (obligated reading, unfortunately) this week where the author explained a concept that I felt applied to this thread topic... His basic point was, in short, that because our society is so technologically advanced in a safety aspect (very safe and comfortable cars, cars that will do 100+ without you even realizing it, easily drivable roads with fairly clear signage and signals, etc...) it actually makes day to day life far LESS safe than it ever has been. He wasn't making the point solely to automotives, but the concept still certainly applies.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I mean, think about it. 20+ years ago you would have never seen every other yahoo whipping around the interstate, running safety signals, and disregarding every safe practice. Not like you do today. Sure, those things did, do, and will continue to happen no matter what. But I can promise you that they're more prevalent today than they ever have been. People "feel" so safe and secure that they behave in a manner that is less safe and secure. I firmly believe that if you FELT like you were going 80+mph on the freeway, FAR less people would actually do it. And this can apply to many different situations. Anti-lock brakes have caused people to brake later and faster than ever before (people wouldn't have dared without power brakes, for instance), traction control and anti-skid and nimble cars allow people to dart in and out of high traffic areas like they're running down a sidewalk, and so on and so on... I’m sure you all can think of countless examples.<o:p></o:p>
The author’s eventual argument was that in order to create an urgency of actual safety, we actually needed to decrease the sense of safety in society (note: not ACTUALLY make things less safe, but simply make them APPEAR to be less safe). I don’t think I fully agree with his final argument, but I thought the initial point was fairly interesting and unfortunately, very true. I, for one, really enjoy my comfortable car with all the conveniences, and I really appreciate them. I don’t try to take advantage of what my car can do, or ignore the fact that JUST because my car CAN do these things that I SHOULD do them. It’s simply not safe. If anything, we should employ MORE safety than ever before, with so many more cars and people on the roads. These conveniences and technologies are applied to keep us comfortable and safe, not so that we can abuse them by pushing them to their limits. I can’t help but think that if 90% of the population weren’t morons we wouldn’t be facing such a common issue. If only it could be as easy as employing some common sense. Anyway, just my .<o:p></o:p>

Last edited by jsonkimz; 02-04-2011 at 06:04 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:52 AM
Registered Member

I was into some reading (obligated reading, unfortunately) this week where the author explained a concept that I felt applied to this thread topic... His basic point was, in short, that because our society is so technologically advanced in a safety aspect (very safe and comfortable cars, cars that will do 100+ without you even realizing it, easily drivable roads with fairly clear signage and signals, etc...) it actually makes day to day life far LESS safe than it ever has been. He wasn't making the point solely to automotives, but the concept still certainly applies.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I mean, think about it. 20+ years ago you would have never seen every other yahoo whipping around the interstate, running safety signals, and disregarding every safe practice. Not like you do today. Sure, those things did, do, and will continue to happen no matter what. But I can promise you that they're more prevalent today than they ever have been. People "feel" so safe and secure that they behave in a manner that is less safe and secure. I firmly believe that if you FELT like you were going 80+mph on the freeway, FAR less people would actually do it. And this can apply to many different situations. Anti-lock brakes have caused people to brake later and faster than ever before (people wouldn't have dared without power brakes, for instance), traction control and anti-skid and nimble cars allow people to dart in and out of high traffic areas like they're running down a sidewalk, and so on and so on... I’m sure you all can think of countless examples.<o:p></o:p>
The author’s eventual argument was that in order to create an urgency of actual safety, we actually needed to decrease the sense of safety in society (note: not ACTUALLY make things less safe, but simply make them APPEAR to be less safe). I don’t think I fully agree with his final argument, but I thought the initial point was fairly interesting and unfortunately, very true. I, for one, really enjoy my comfortable car with all the conveniences, and I really appreciate them. I don’t try to take advantage of what my car can do, or ignore the fact that JUST because my car CAN do these things that I SHOULD do them. It’s simply not safe. If anything, we should employ MORE safety than ever before, with so many more cars and people on the roads. These conveniences and technologies are applied to keep us comfortable and safe, not so that we can abuse them by pushing them to their limits. I can’t help but think that if 90% of the population weren’t morons we wouldn’t be facing such a common issue. If only it could be as easy as employing some common sense. Anyway, just my .<o:p></o:p>
"I mean, think about it. 20+ years ago you would have never seen every other yahoo whipping around the interstate, running safety signals, and disregarding every safe practice. Not like you do today."

Yeah, twenty years ago is a short period of time and yes, they were there doing the same dumb things you see today. And not only 20+ years ago, but 40+ and 45+ years ago as well. I know, I was there.

The theory the writer presents which you have outlined does have merit. Apply this same theory to other facets of life and you'll begin to see a pattern. It's called normal human behavior. Some people will react in a more passive manner while others will push the limits even further. These same types will do this regardless of the tools (a car IS a tool after all).

Another factor is population increases. More people equates to more vehicles which in turn, further stretches the infrastructure to accommodate increased volume. Think of it. When you are driving in a sparsely traveled area, you see little of this taking place. Contrast that to a densely populated area where traffic congestion is common place and the more bass instincts of some people makes its way to the surface to manifest itself in dangerous driving.

Anyway, congrats on your post. Obligatory or not, it's good that you read about this.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:55 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rocketman1
No matter how good a driver you are there's one thing that is really scary: drivers who run through red lights, and I mean after the light is red for a few seconds!!

I almost got t-boned last year cause an idiot just drove thru the red light like it wasn't even there. He didn't even slowed down!! And the driver was doing bout 35-40. I always remembered the driving ed instructor's words: When you get the green light always let the other guy to your right or left go first through the intersection!
This is one of the most serious infractions a driver can do, in my opinion. Were I an LEO, I would issue citations to the max for even the slightest violation of running a red light or a stop sign (those of you who do rolling stops would see my ire). Personally, I would favor at least a $1000 fine, a week in jail, and loss of driving privileges for a year for a first offense for these violations.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:17 AM
Pro

"I mean, think about it. 20+ years ago you would have never seen every other yahoo whipping around the interstate, running safety signals, and disregarding every safe practice. Not like you do today."

Yeah, twenty years ago is a short period of time and yes, they were there doing the same dumb things you see today. And not only 20+ years ago, but 40+ and 45+ years ago as well. I know, I was there.

The theory the writer presents which you have outlined does have merit. Apply this same theory to other facets of life and you'll begin to see a pattern. It's called normal human behavior. Some people will react in a more passive manner while others will push the limits even further. These same types will do this regardless of the tools (a car IS a tool after all).

Another factor is population increases. More people equates to more vehicles which in turn, further stretches the infrastructure to accommodate increased volume. Think of it. When you are driving in a sparsely traveled area, you see little of this taking place. Contrast that to a densely populated area where traffic congestion is common place and the more bass instincts of some people makes its way to the surface to manifest itself in dangerous driving.

Anyway, congrats on your post. Obligatory or not, it's good that you read about this.
I completely agree that it's been going on for years... Far more years than I've been driving or even aliev, but I still don't think it was quite as common. Today is seems like literally every other person drives irresponsibly. And I really do think that you can attribute this to the technology of today. I would think that you would HAVE to admit that it's getting worse and more common. However bad it may have been. Yes?

The author's main point was actually about all aspects of life, so you're definitely right about that. I simply placed it in automotive terms. But it could absolutely be applied to just about anything. Just a random example: Do you think NFL players would be leading with their helmet and hitting as hard if they still used the same pads and helmets as 20-30 years ago? Not likely. But this point illustrates even better that it's a GOOD thing that we're developing these new safety features, we just need to use them responsibly.

I fully agree that it's more relevent than ever because of the sheer population numbers. I believe I briefly mentioned it in my first post. You just expounded on it.

I try to read as often as I can... sometimes I get to for enjoyment, other times it's required. But it's always necessary, IMO. :wink:

Last edited by jsonkimz; 02-04-2011 at 07:20 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:53 AM
I Skydive, Therefore I Am

I was into some reading (obligated reading, unfortunately) this week where the author explained a concept that I felt applied to this thread topic... His basic point was, in short, that because our society is so technologically advanced in a safety aspect (very safe and comfortable cars, cars that will do 100+ without you even realizing it, easily drivable roads with fairly clear signage and signals, etc...) it actually makes day to day life far LESS safe than it ever has been. He wasn't making the point solely to automotives, but the concept still certainly applies.

Back in the early days of skydiving, pre-mid-70s, the main parachute release system was called a Capewell. It required a complicated procedure, involving both hands making two motions, one of which had to be fairly precise else the release would be difficult (if not impossible). Because of this system, it was recommended that sport skydivers, this does not pertain to military jumpers, deploy above 3500 to 4000ft AGL (Above Ground Level). This was to allow enough time to initiate emergency procedures in case of a main parachute malfunction. Then in the late 70s, a man named Bill Booth, invented the 3-ring release. This gave the jumper an extra 1000ft of safety cushion, as it took the act of cutting away the main parachute from a difficult two step process, to one simple motion made with the right hand.

So what did skydivers do with that "extra" 1000ft safety cushion? Got in about 8 more seconds of freefall, that's what they did. Jumpers started pulling a 1000ft lower. Personally, I am legally allowed to pull as low as 2000ft AGL, as I hold a master license. The absolute hard deck, meaning the time where you REALLY should pull your reserve, instead of the main, if you're that low is 1800ft.

If that doesn't spell it out, concerning people's sense of safety, I don't know what will. If we "feel" safe, we push it. Even if we're really not safer.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Pro

^ ABSOLUTELY. Great example!
Old 02-04-2011, 06:23 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 990 Likes on 532 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
my friend in the marines is stationed over there, and is a accident cop.

Carry on.
My neighbor is the Provost Marshal (the LTC that is in charge of all those Marines), or head cop so to speak. Good dude, and I ask him questions all the time, such as the legality of drifting, etc... And I will carry on.

Quick Reply: Why do so many people drive like absolute $h!t?