Who would win this race?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 02:04 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Though no credibility is lent towards this concept, the VQ35DE needs some break-in time before it really comes to life. My Maxima couldnt break under 15-flat for number of runs when I first got it. After a couple thousand miles, I was able run consistent upper 14s (with wheelspin issues). And this same phenomena was/is experienced by several other Maxima, Alti, G35 and Z owners as well. (Heck!! Maybe even a broken-in Murano might dip into the mid-15s.)

Before the last M/T(?), the Z car's lowest 1/4 mile time was something like 14.2. But at that track, I witnessed a few running 13.8s and 13.9s, with several K on the odo. So break-in time really is key with the VQ.

Only time will tell if the same thing happens with the TL. Going by the TL-S/CL-S I'm betting that wont as much the case. $.02

Peace.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by NightRider
By the way, how much do you miss your prelude? I must get rid of my car by December for insurance reasons, and was thinking about a prelude possibly. Do they handle better than TL? Smooth driving? How bout quickness? Nice inside? I would get an MT if I did, probably 97-00 SH. Thanks
I miss the Prelude a lot - I would still be driving it if I didn't have to fit 2 car seats in the back seat. In my opinion (as well as most others who have driven both), the Prelude handles much better than the TL. Then again, it's a much different car. It's much lower and smaller, and that lends to it being much more nimble. I find that the "fun-to-drive" factor is much higher as well (for many of the same reasons). As for "smooth driving", it's not the luxury drive that the TL is, but it is not as harsh as you would expect from such a car. I found the ride to be near-perfect (for my liking anyway).

As for quickness, it is quick handling and accelerates nicely, but if power is a big thing for you, it won't match the TL. I love high-reving engines, so I found the Prelude's 2.2L 4cyl to be a delight. If you want torque, look elsewhere - that's not what the Prelude is about. It's about high rpms and handling. If you plan on doing mods, look at a non-SH, but if you plan to drive stock, the SH corners like a dream (especially high speed corners - off ramps, on ramps, etc are awesome). Definitely get a manual if you do - 4 cylinder cars (even with high hp ratings) usually don't cut it in AT form. Plus, MTs are much more fun anyway - and that's the reason you buy a Prelude.

The inside is not a luxury interior. If you're looking for luxury, again, look elsewhere. There's nothing fancy, and you get mostly just the basics. However, I found the the ergonomics of the Prelude to be perfect for my size and likes - everything was where I wanted it and worked as I expected it to. Oddly enough, despite the non-luxury nature of the Prelude, I found the seats to be more comfortable than the TLs. My wife also thinks the passenger seat was much more comfortable - she loved riding in the Prelude as much as I loved driving it.

Well, since this is a TL forum, I guess I better shut up now. As you can tell, I loved that car. As much as I like the TL, I would much rather be driving the Prelude.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:18 PM
2005 WDP TL

A little update.......The Accord was owned!!!! Good Race but I pulled him three times, he then drove my car and said " yep it's faster". It was a good day.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Received 1,005 Likes on 575 Posts
Racing to Cars & Bikes
Old 09-15-2004, 11:39 PM
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
An intake does not add more than like 10 HP