Who owns a black car, or a dark colored one.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 06:55 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
I detailed cars for a few years, while detailing cars i drove a black car. I repainted it grey

If the car stays in the garage I'd consider a black car again. I almost actually got a black GTo but the wife talked me out of it. Best advice she's given (other then actually making me buy the GTO instead of a STi)
Old 04-23-2007, 06:56 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by West6MT
Why dont you learn so you can do it yourself? Save yourself some money in the long run, and take up detailing in a serious way.

because there is a reason detailers are out there
Old 04-23-2007, 07:22 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I bought my car used so I didnt have much of a choice when it comes to color choice however it does look beautiful when its actually clean (which I admit is rare). I think my next car I might switch though, to something else I like.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:18 PM
Nick

Originally Posted by KCPreki11
I'd love to detail a Supra. And I'd do it too for a free ride!
If I knew where "x" was located maybe we could arrange this. I'm tracking mine at a roadcourse track day on May 5 at Pocono's East Course and it might be possible to get a passenger onboard for a few laps, I've done that before once or twice ...you'll be quite surprised if you haven't done this before, very exhilirating. But this seems like an entire day process so I'd feel guilty taking that for just a little ride, but thanks anyway. If you're in the Phila area, PM me and a ride is not a problem anyway.

Originally Posted by West6MT
Why dont you learn so you can do it yourself? Save yourself some money in the long run, and take up detailing in a serious way.
I understand your suggestion and I think some of you younger guys should give it a shot. Actually, from doing some detailing on my cars for over 40 years now and reading a lot about it and talking to others over many years, I know pretty much how to do it, though I don't have all the tools, I guess I'd need to rent/buy a suitable orbital polisher plus a lot of hand work. But with a family, two kids, a challenging management position as VP of Engineering, I don't want to get into it as a business. I love what I'm doing now. So I would rather pay somebody to do a nice job and that pic I posted was done by somebody who does a great job, charges accordingly but it's worth it to me to have that done every couple years, then maintain it myself in between.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:42 PM
an asshole from florida

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
dude i will wash my car and in a matter of hours my car is dirty again...i almost feel like i need to wipe it down constantly
Old 04-24-2007, 04:09 AM
Hold the onions

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I currently have 02 NBP TL and it is a pain to wash and wax. $ and time adds up! I could have spent that much on mods! I had a 96 Heather Mist Integ and that thing just blended in with the dust and pollen. I would not need to wash that car for months and it still looks presentable. I'm thinking my next car might be along those lines. NBP is the sex when it's nice and clean.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:41 AM
givin the business

i'm on my fifth black car...we have an nbp MDX and i drive a black colorado. i don't think i'd have it any other way. i do need to keep a detailer on retainer but nothing looks like black when it's all polished and waxed up.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXey
If I knew where "x" was located maybe we could arrange this. I'm tracking mine at a roadcourse track day on May 5 at Pocono's East Course and it might be possible to get a passenger onboard for a few laps, I've done that before once or twice ...you'll be quite surprised if you haven't done this before, very exhilirating. But this seems like an entire day process so I'd feel guilty taking that for just a little ride, but thanks anyway. If you're in the Phila area, PM me and a ride is not a problem anyway.

I understand your suggestion and I think some of you younger guys should give it a shot. Actually, from doing some detailing on my cars for over 40 years now and reading a lot about it and talking to others over many years, I know pretty much how to do it, though I don't have all the tools, I guess I'd need to rent/buy a suitable orbital polisher plus a lot of hand work. But with a family, two kids, a challenging management position as VP of Engineering, I don't want to get into it as a business. I love what I'm doing now. So I would rather pay somebody to do a nice job and that pic I posted was done by somebody who does a great job, charges accordingly but it's worth it to me to have that done every couple years, then maintain it myself in between.
i understand your situation... with full time work and a family sometimes it is tough to get out there and set time aside to clean the car... i find myself taking a few hours on my car and sometimes that is not enough to get the car to my liking... and i don't even have kids yet and i tend to get lazy but still want a clean car...

but yes a Porter Cable is definitely a good investment for anyone who likes to keep their car clean... it is the only way to polish and wax... and swirl marks will just disappear... but honestly it is all in the maintenece... i only break out my PC 3 times a year to do a complete polish and sealant and i usually just keep it clean with dusting and quick detail... there are many great products and Patrick (our vendor) in the Wash and Wax section of our forums has great products and is very knowledgable... i think if you can find a decent detailer once a year and you keep it up the rest of the year on your own, it would be a great plan...

i may have to drive down to Philly for a ride... that car is just sexy...
Old 04-24-2007, 11:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXey

I didnt mean for you to take it up as like a business or anything. I just meant like, you detail your car every few months and use proper techniques to keep it looking good in between or whatever. In any event, I understand what you are saying.

I got the detailing bug last year, and take pretty good care of my car now .
Old 04-26-2007, 09:37 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
I've had a black Mustang GT a few years ago, and I regretted it within the first couple of months. It shows EVERYTHING and a real PITA keeping it clean. The swirls and scratches got too much so I finally got rid of it as I needed a bigger car anyway. Since then I haven't had another black car. I agree black is the best color for pretty much any car when clean, but its just too much headache keeping it clean and dealing with the swirl marks. I'm considering trading in my 05 TL for a 07 TL-S, and kind of considering black because its the best color for that car IMO, but I just don't know if I want to go through the maintenence nightmare again.