wheelies on a crotchrocket...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 11:50 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wheelies on a crotchrocket...

the only way i know how to do it is using the suspension...and that's too "uncontrolled" and you can't really do it in any other gear but 1st. anyone here know how to clutch wheelie?
Old 06-21-2004, 12:51 AM
Doin' da crack shuffle

"using the suspension" :scatch:

As far as using the clutch to wheelie, It depends on what kind of bike your on. I usaully get the rpms up to about 9k and pop the clutch. doing that makes most bikes come up pretty quick so be careful.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:36 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Red-CL
"using the suspension" :scatch:

As far as using the clutch to wheelie, It depends on what kind of bike your on. I usaully get the rpms up to about 9k and pop the clutch. doing that makes most bikes come up pretty quick so be careful.

first gear about 5k rpm...shut off the throttle really quick, and of course the nose dips down...when the suspension rebounds, roll on the throttle 100% and up u go. this is a 2003 gixxer 600 so just powering up to a mono is hard to do. as far as popping the clutch, i'm afraid to do that because i dont want the front to fly up too quickly. from what i've been told, you can just slip the clutch and it will go up smoothly?
Old 06-21-2004, 01:55 PM
Mazda3 and Honda Civic in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do but before I answer I need to know who Im giving this info to:

How old are you?

Is this your 1st bike?

What kind of bike?

What is your body weight?

Then well go from there
Old 06-21-2004, 03:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by gdubb
I do but before I answer I need to know who Im giving this info to:

How old are you?

Is this your 1st bike?

What kind of bike?

What is your body weight?

Then well go from there

im 26 which is why i have my reservations on doing this as i have a lot to lose career wise. not my first bike...but it's an 03' gsxr-600. i weigh a buck fifty.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:45 PM
Homeless

If you have plenty to lose, why bother? Just ride the bike like a normal person or atleast learn how to ride better(track days, etc) before attempting stunts.

This is why insurance is so high on bikes...from all the squids crashing theirs and raising everyone's premiums...
Old 06-21-2004, 06:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by chris3240929
If you have plenty to lose, why bother? Just ride the bike like a normal person or atleast learn how to ride better(track days, etc) before attempting stunts.

This is why insurance is so high on bikes...from all the squids crashing theirs and raising everyone's premiums...
i do the track days once every couple of months...but i just wanted to find another way to get one wheel up. as far as riding better, you gotta take a test to run at the track that i go to so my riding skills are at least good enough that they let me run on track days. can't a guy try to some stunts without catchin heat from anybody?
Old 06-21-2004, 07:13 PM
Homeless

Originally Posted by simean
can't a guy try to some stunts without catchin heat from anybody?
Sure. As long as you promise not to submit your claim to the insurance company after you wreck the bike.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:11 PM
Health's Angels

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stunts are for dirt bikes its not as embarrassing to come home covered in mud than road rash.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:17 PM
Homeless

Originally Posted by GINge!
stunts are for dirt bikes its not as embarrassing to come home covered in mud than road rash.
x10

And a lot easier on the anus if you fall...
Old 06-22-2004, 05:37 AM
Safety Car

Just takes lots of practice on a straight open road with no cars. I got comfortable rolling along in 2nd gear with the revs in midrange, pull the clutch in and rev to redline and dump it. you may have to lay the throttle as it comes up in case it comes up too fast and then "catch it" with more revs as it starts too fall to bring it back up to a nice balance. don't forget to cover your rear brake just incase, but just letting off the gas should bring the front tire down pretty quickly. and if you do use the rear brake, just barely touch it or you'll slam down hard. and watch the front tire coming down cause it'll stop spinning pretty quickly and may get a little head shake contacting the ground again.

BUT, as mentioned above, you really should learn how to wheelie on a dirt bike.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:11 AM
Homeless

Originally Posted by bullaculla
Not to mention, the setup on a dirt bike will be more forgiving on the front shocks...fork seals on a street bike will blow quick with a couple of front end slams. They're big bucks to fix also.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:26 PM
COME AT ME BRO!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
im in the same boat as you but i have 03 cbr 600rr. i have done a few wheelies on it but im not gunna atempt it any more untill i get frame sliders and race leathers boots and back protecter. im not gunna be the guy that loses all of his skin because i want to look cool in a t shirt. i try to be a safe as possable and i think you should do the same if you dont already. if you do track days im sure u have leathers. as for me i just have a really nice alpine star leather jacket carbon fiber gloves and shoei helmet. be safe and let me know how u fair
Old 06-22-2004, 10:56 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by bullaculla
Just takes lots of practice on a straight open road with no cars. I got comfortable rolling along in 2nd gear with the revs in midrange, pull the clutch in and rev to redline and dump it. you may have to lay the throttle as it comes up in case it comes up too fast and then "catch it" with more revs as it starts too fall to bring it back up to a nice balance. don't forget to cover your rear brake just incase, but just letting off the gas should bring the front tire down pretty quickly. and if you do use the rear brake, just barely touch it or you'll slam down hard. and watch the front tire coming down cause it'll stop spinning pretty quickly and may get a little head shake contacting the ground again.

practice on a straight empty road...

dont feel bad.... i can only do wheelies in 1st gear as well....

a 2nd gear wheelie is like 70mph....
Old 06-22-2004, 11:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by evilone
im in the same boat as you but i have 03 cbr 600rr. i have done a few wheelies on it but im not gunna atempt it any more untill i get frame sliders and race leathers boots and back protecter. im not gunna be the guy that loses all of his skin because i want to look cool in a t shirt. i try to be a safe as possable and i think you should do the same if you dont already. if you do track days im sure u have leathers. as for me i just have a really nice alpine star leather jacket carbon fiber gloves and shoei helmet. be safe and let me know how u fair

i'm an absolute moron i guess....

i go out ALL THE TIME in shorts and a t-shirt with NO helmet, just Harley shades and gloves....
actually the only time i wear a helmet is when i plan on getting on the highways....
i can bear the wind noise/resistance doing very short 100 mph runs, but not for a prolonged time.... i go for cruises helmetless.... if i'm going out for a while, i'll bring the helmet. i only wear my leather if i'm doing VERY agressive driving where i get down on the twisties....
Old 06-23-2004, 02:43 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by YuppieCL
a 2nd gear wheelie is like 70mph....

Originally Posted by chris3240929
Not to mention, the setup on a dirt bike will be more forgiving on the front shocks...fork seals on a street bike will blow quick with a couple of front end slams. They're big bucks to fix also.
Try doing stoppies on a ZX-7R the weight of that thing will blow your seals in a hurry! and the forks bend enough so the front tire touches the inner cowling. I had full floating Brakeing rotors and race pads. two finger stoppies on a ZX-7