Whats required for a permits?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 11:33 PM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Whats required for a permits?

I'll be eligible next month, and I need to know what you need in order to get your permits. Do you need that 6 hours of driving lessons in order to get permits or is it for license? I found this, can anyone tell me what the hell it means?

If you are 15 ½ to 17 ½ years of age, you will need to provide proof that you:

* Completed driver education (Form DL 387 or OL 237) and are taking driver training (DL 392 or OL 392)

OR

* Completed driver education and driver training (DL 387, DL 388, DL 388A, OL 237, or OL 238).

OR

* Are enrolled and participating in an approved integrated driver education/driver training program (DL 400).
Old 03-05-2005, 11:52 PM
Mile High

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn. that was 4 years ago for me and i cant remember anything about the process. however i do believe the 6 hours would be to obtain a license. it would be illegal if you drove 6 hours and didnt have a permit i think. then once you have the permit you drive around with your parents and rack up the hours for the DMV requirements.

I think the requirements you showed are to get a license.. you take drivers ed when you have a permit then you show proof to the DMV along with other shit and you get ur license

Last edited by Crazy88; 03-05-2005 at 11:55 PM.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:00 AM
styling on you

How to apply for a provisional permit if you are under 18

To apply for a provisional permit, you will need the following:

* Be at least 15 ½, but under 18 years of age
* Visit a DMV office (make an appointment for faster service)
* Complete the application form DL 44 (An original DL 44 form must be submitted. Copies obtained by xeroxing, faxing, or other methods will not be accepted.)
* Have your parents' or guardians' signatures on the application form DL 44
* Give a thumb print
* Have your picture taken
* Provide your social security number. It will be verified with the Social Security Administration while you are in the office.
* Verify your birth date and legal presence
* Provide your true full name
* Submit the proper form(s) for driver education and/or driver training classes (See below for details.)
* Pay the $25 application fee (This fee entitles you to three exams of any type within the 12-month period and pays for both the instruction permit and the driver license. If all requirements are not met within the 12-month period, the application becomes void and all steps must be completed again.)
* Pass a vision exam
* Pass a traffic laws and sign test. There are 46 questions on the test. A passing score is at least 39 correct answers. You have three chances to pass the test. If you fail, you must wait 7 days before taking it again.

Note: To allow you sufficient time for testing DMV will not be administering written or audio exams after 4:30 p.m.

Driver Education and Driver Training Form Requirements

If you are 15 ½ to 17 ½ years of age, you will need to provide proof that you:

* Completed driver education (Form DL 387 or OL 237) and are taking driver training (DL 392 or OL 392)

OR

* Completed driver education and driver training (DL 387, DL 388, DL 388A, OL 237, or OL 238).

OR

* Are enrolled and participating in an approved integrated driver education/driver training program (DL 400).

found that, but can someone break that down for me? i still dont get if you need the 6 hours or just drivers ed or both. also for those of you that took it, how many hours total war drivers ed?
Old 03-06-2005, 01:21 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
Be glad you're not in Germany:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7067112/
Old 03-06-2005, 05:16 AM
go like hell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
in Ohio they changed it about 6 years ago.
once your 15 and half you can get your permit.
then take driver's ed and all that B.S.
then I think at 17 and half you can take your full test

Now I was the last year born(1982) that was under the old way. which was 16 for everything. (permit,full test,drivers ed).

there's 3 parts to the lisence (in Ohio)
the written part(it's easy)
the cones part(easy for me because I autocrossed )
then the actual driving part( i failed that once because the old b!tch was pissing me off) she was docked me because i was 1-2 foot to far away from the " stop bar" at a stop light. then she i went 1 mph over she docked me for it. she docked me because I how I turned(which was fine) so i said "fuck it" I drifted a Honda Accord into the parking lot. it was AWESOME. the lady was like 65 years old. She's like there's no damn reason for driving like that. I was like whatever old bat get the out of car now. Then dad came out and we drove home.
each county has their own certification office.(as long as you get certified by one then it's good wherever) so i went to one up north. the chick was like 500 lbs and made me drive around the block and gave me the certfication.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by biker
Be glad you're not in Germany:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7067112/
My brother who is in the Army paid a whole lot of money to get his license in Germany. From what I understand it is worth it for him since he isn't used to the type of driving they do over there.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:02 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
Originally Posted by anothercls
My brother who is in the Army paid a whole lot of money to get his license in Germany. From what I understand it is worth it for him since he isn't used to the type of driving they do over there.
It wouldn't be all that different from the US if people adhered to the rules in the US driving laws. The big diff is that people know how to drive and follow the rules fairly religiously.
Oh, and by the way - the driver's license is good for life.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:07 AM
Instructor

pretty much the same here in sweden...
i took loan to pay for my driving license....... i wish i was usa that time.... but i think its worth it specially thinking about, the amount winter driving we do over here......all those driving on ice tracks and stuff......
Old 03-06-2005, 01:42 PM
styling on you

damn it my thread got jacked lol. bleh ill just assume that you need to take drivers ed and pass the traffic test and then ill get my permits. btw the traffic test will be based on your drivers ed class right?
Old 03-06-2005, 04:06 PM
Meow.

Ok. This is how you get your permit to learn how to drive. You first need to get your PINK slip. Then, You also need to go enroll yourself in a driving school and get what is called a WHITE slip. You don't actullaly have to take the class yet persay, but you still have to enroll. Once you are 15 1/2 or older, you go take the WRITTEN test. Get less than 13 or 8? wrong then you get ur permit. From there, you need 6 months of practice and 6 hours with a professional driving instructor. After your 6 months are up, you are able to take your actual DRIVING test.

You'll be driving in no time.
Old 03-06-2005, 05:02 PM
styling on you

interesting... thanks felix. do you know how long drivers ed is? In total and how many hours each day? If its not too much ill start on saturdays, but if it is ill wait till summer to start =D
Old 03-06-2005, 07:32 PM
go like hell

Originally Posted by SeCsTaC
interesting... thanks felix. do you know how long drivers ed is? In total and how many hours each day? If its not too much ill start on saturdays, but if it is ill wait till summer to start =D
Ohio's is 40 hours in classroom(which i took over christmas break of 2 weeks when i was 16) then the driving part is 40 hours which I did over 40 hours which i did over 2 weeks afterschool( the dude was my middle school social studies teacher) the car was a hyndayi accent(had about as much power as my as a Civic DX ) I had it floored on interstate. I got a "B" in the class and I thrashed that little accent
Old 03-06-2005, 08:24 PM
styling on you

^ lol. anywayz thanks for your input guys. anyone else have anything to add? i think ill be calling around to gather up some more information. oh and where the heck can i learn to drive a stick at?
Old 03-06-2005, 09:49 PM
Burning Brakes

you gotta take a drivers ed class to get a permit in LA?
over here in nyc, all you need to do is take a written test and you get the temporary permit on the spot if you pass the written test
Old 03-06-2005, 09:52 PM
Banned

You can learn to drive a stick in the sticks. Suburban Detroit, you'll see a lot of old (i.e. junker ... ) Grand Ams, automatics of course, for instruction. Good ole GM, right there when you need them, like at the rental lot.

Ohio's system seems to be comparable to Michigan's, although I didn't start soon enough and fell under the then-new rules.

There's nothing like having a driving instructor who 1) doesn't really seem to care and 2) does donuts when he leaves the parking lot after class.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:39 PM
styling on you

well my friend said the place he went to didnt give a shit, and didnt teach him shit, he just paid the money and they signed his papers saying he completed his 30 hours of drivers ed. I don't think my moms gonna let me do that though =(.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:56 PM
go like hell

^ lol. anywayz thanks for your input guys. anyone else have anything to add? i think ill be calling around to gather up some more information. oh and where the heck can i learn to drive a stick at?
Do you have a buddy with a old beater "stick" car. the way I learned to drive is my dad's 88 Civic DX. I learned with in the first couple miles. my sister when she was learning she couldn't understand to push in the clutch to shift. so I followed her when she was driving her husbands 94 Mustang GT(this was like in 2000) collectors edition(it was in mint condtion)(i think he waxed it ever 2 minutes) then i hear vrooooom (gears grind because she's changing gears with no clutch) vroom(same gear grind)I'm sitting in my Accord behind her dieing laughing. I call her on the cell phone when she was pulled over I said you know that pedal farest to the left USE IT.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:09 PM
styling on you

Originally Posted by Water-S
Do you have a buddy with a old beater "stick" car. the way I learned to drive is my dad's 88 Civic DX. I learned with in the first couple miles. my sister when she was learning she couldn't understand to push in the clutch to shift. so I followed her when she was driving her husbands 94 Mustang GT(this was like in 2000) collectors edition(it was in mint condtion)(i think he waxed it ever 2 minutes) then i hear vrooooom (gears grind because she's changing gears with no clutch) vroom(same gear grind)I'm sitting in my Accord behind her dieing laughing. I call her on the cell phone when she was pulled over I said you know that pedal farest to the left USE IT.
Ouch lol, however, none of my friends have stick, hell none of them can even drive yet. Most of them are in the same boat as me. Should I just go to a shitty car dealership, and take out one of their old raggity high mileage manual cars and practice there?
Old 03-08-2005, 10:50 PM
go like hell

Ouch lol, however, none of my friends have stick, hell none of them can even drive yet. Most of them are in the same boat as me. Should I just go to a shitty car dealership, and take out one of their old raggity high mileage manual cars and practice there?
there's a couple options.
#1.(my favorite ) have your parent(s) go to some GM car dealer with the 24 hour test drive(most GM dealers around here do this I've hot rodded a couple monte carlos, impalas,etc)(i even autocrossed a stock impala ) have them get a stick car. that way if you tear it up the dealer should fix it(but don't tear it up to bad)
#2. Go to any used dealership. with parents(once you get away from the dealer(a mile or 2) switch drivers with your mom or dad) then practice. the reason I say to take your mom or dad is car dealer salesmen usually don't like it if you are alone and "don't know how to drive a stick" they won't let you drive one.

probably the hardest manual I had to drive was a 1972 fire engine. it had a long ass handle(so long throws), the gears were stacked about on top each other the gear case was real small so if gear 3 and 5 was beside each other sometimes you'd miss it. and plus the shifter linkage needed greased so it would stick.

a word to the wise: don't try to drive anything real exciting for your first manual like a vette or integra type R or Z-28 or mustang cobra. go with like a Civic or Neon or even CRX. the thing is wth the high HP cars you gotta be "gentle" with the clutch because it has so much hp you can rip the tires loose. and if your in town cops will right you up for spinning off tire. . i think that's part of the reason why I was sucessful in learning to drive a 5 speed i learned on a Civic DX my sister tried to learn on a Mustang GT. and still she can't drive a 5 speed.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:04 PM
styling on you

Originally Posted by Water-S
there's a couple options.
#1.(my favorite ) have your parent(s) go to some GM car dealer with the 24 hour test drive(most GM dealers around here do this I've hot rodded a couple monte carlos, impalas,etc)(i even autocrossed a stock impala ) have them get a stick car. that way if you tear it up the dealer should fix it(but don't tear it up to bad)
#2. Go to any used dealership. with parents(once you get away from the dealer(a mile or 2) switch drivers with your mom or dad) then practice. the reason I say to take your mom or dad is car dealer salesmen usually don't like it if you are alone and "don't know how to drive a stick" they won't let you drive one.

probably the hardest manual I had to drive was a 1972 fire engine. it had a long ass handle(so long throws), the gears were stacked about on top each other the gear case was real small so if gear 3 and 5 was beside each other sometimes you'd miss it. and plus the shifter linkage needed greased so it would stick.

a word to the wise: don't try to drive anything real exciting for your first manual like a vette or integra type R or Z-28 or mustang cobra. go with like a Civic or Neon or even CRX. the thing is wth the high HP cars you gotta be "gentle" with the clutch because it has so much hp you can rip the tires loose. and if your in town cops will right you up for spinning off tire. . i think that's part of the reason why I was sucessful in learning to drive a 5 speed i learned on a Civic DX my sister tried to learn on a Mustang GT. and still she can't drive a 5 speed.

thx for the tips man, but my parents can't drive stick ='(, and i don't think they'd be too willing to just take out a car just so i can fuck around with it.

but yeah, if i was going to learn, id plan on learning with a civic lx / integra ls or something like that.

i think tomorrow i'll be calling the local drivers ed school to see the schedules of the classes. so I might just start right when april rolls around =D
Old 03-09-2005, 01:17 AM
go like hell

thx for the tips man, but my parents can't drive stick ='(, and i don't think they'd be too willing to just take out a car just so i can fuck around with it.

but yeah, if i was going to learn, id plan on learning with a civic lx / integra ls or something like that.

i think tomorrow i'll be calling the local drivers ed school to see the schedules of the classes. so I might just start right when april rolls around =D
alright sounds good.
another option is if you have a big brother or sister that's cool or a older friend that can act as a big brother or sister take you to a car lot.
i did that with a friend of mine that's younger. we had a integra ls clutch smoking i said i was his big brother.(i'm 2.5 years older than him) we don't even look a like and the dealer threw us the keys. when we got back the cluch was not doing well. . about another 2-3 trips with rocky driving it would have killed that clutch. at lights he'd either stall it by letting it out to fast or over revving the engine and spin the tires and sliding the clutch(which is hard on the clutch). our clothes smelled like smoke from the clutch the rest of the day. yeah thank goodness when we came back the dealer salesmen was in the bathroom. I ran in gave the keys to the secretary chick got in my car. Floored it out of there. before he could get out there and smell nasty scent of that clutch burning.