whats the relation between TSX and RSX??

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003 | 09:36 AM
Banned

whats the relation between TSX and RSX??

do you guys think that the TSX represents what the new front end on the next RSX will look like?? what about that interior?? is it safe to assume that the 2004 RSX will include such upgrades as available navi or that nice steering wheel with all the controls on it?? dual exhaust maybe??

what about the drivetrains???

does the introduction of a 2.4 ivtec with a auto or 6 speed mean that the next RSX Type-S maybe available with an automatic-sportshift tranny?? i have a feeling that acura would sell more RSX Type S if there were an automatic available...there are quite a few people on clubrsx who bought a base model RSX with leather simply because they just wanted an auto tranny....even though they really wanted the extra power....id like to see the RSX climb slightly higher on the luxury scale to really seperate itself from honda and its sister car, the civic...the TSX interior has all the amenities that the RSX needs to make that jump...and a 220 hp RSX-S would be a hot seller for sure...make it compete better with the new SRT-4 and others. my g/f wants an RSX and we've been researching and shopping, etc...im hesitant to let her jump into an RSX now if its going to undergo changes soon, whether just minor interior or engine upgrades or a full dedesign....
Old 01-07-2003 | 09:53 AM
The Creator

i doubt the rsx will get the tsx shit... engine and luxury shit.

the tsx is not a 4 door rsx. the cars have little in common...

rsx = a very fun little tin can.

that wouldnt appeal to the tsx buyer.

but ya who knows hte rsx-s could get the auto.

im sure the transmissions are shared.
Old 01-07-2003 | 09:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by soopa
i doubt the rsx will get the tsx shit... engine and luxury shit.

the tsx is not a 4 door rsx. the cars have little in common...

that wouldnt appeal to the tsx buyer.

but ya who knows hte rsx-s could get the auto.

im sure the transmissions are shared.
They aren't really related in anyway. The TSX is a new model between the RSX and the CL... basically it bridges the $10,000 or so gap that had existed between those two models.
Old 01-07-2003 | 09:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Jim, about the next RSX. It's going to be a minor reskin - 2004 model.

Honda/Acura has a 5 year plan for it's cars. The 1st two years are the same, then the reskin continuing for 3 years, then a full redesign (exception being the 8 year run on the last integra).

With the intro of the TSX, we might not get a glimpse of the RSX reskin from the autoshows, but the RSX reskin is coming.
Old 01-07-2003 | 10:59 AM
Team Owner

depending on how the TSX plays out in the next couple of years, who knows maybe on the next major redesign of the rsx (if the tsx doesn't do well), they'll develop the four door version of the rsx like they had with the integra.
Old 01-07-2003 | 04:06 PM
chronic lurker...

Originally posted by soopa

Couldnt have said that one any better myself.
Old 01-07-2003 | 04:18 PM
Banned

doesnt a "fun tin can" go against everything that the Acura name is supposed to signify?? i mean how will anyone ever take Acura seriously as a Luxury (or near-luxury) brand if they have a cheap little "fun tin can" in their fleet??? that doesnt make sense. if people want a fun little tin can, go get a civic...Acura (as far as i knew) was supposed to signify at least "near-luxury" the TSX definately looks "near-luxury" the CL/TL/RL/MDX all are at bare minimum "near luxury" and borderline "true luxury" with all the bells and whistles...but the RSX needs some of the TSX features to bring it truely into the Acura nameplate, as far as im concerned. If the RSX isnt going to be more luxurious, its a bastard stepchild to the Acura name and should be rebadged and sold on honda dealership lots, not Acura. you dont see Audi pushing a cheap little "tin can" thats basically a rebaged VW Beetle, do you??? or how about Infinity selling a cheap tin can Sentra with infinity badges...no way....

i guess the fact that Acura does things like make "fun tin cans" solidifies its place as a "near-luxury" brand and will at this rate never be a true competitor to brands like Audi or BMW or MB because they taint their supposed luxury image with a little cheapo econobox....

dont get me wrong, the RSX is a great little car for what it is....but if it doesnt take a step up toward the TSX, it really is bringing the value of the Acura name down.
Old 01-07-2003 | 05:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by jimcol711
doesnt a "fun tin can" go against everything that the Acura name is supposed to signify??
Is it that? Or does it just go against everything that you want the Acura name to signify?

I dunno. I look at a carline on a car by car basis. One car doesn't "cheapen" a line...it doesn't make Acura less of a luxury company...it makes them a more rounded company. Having a TSX or RSX in the line doesn't make the TL or CL any less of a car. Someone isn't going to say "I want a CL but...the RSX is so cheap...I better go with a 3 series instead."

What the RSX does do, is keep true to Acura's heritage...extremely well built, fast cars that won't cost you an arm and a leg. It's carrying the torch of the Integra, which helped build Acura.
Old 01-07-2003 | 06:14 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by AcuraFan
Is it that? Or does it just go against everything that you want the Acura name to signify?

I dunno. I look at a carline on a car by car basis. One car doesn't "cheapen" a line...it doesn't make Acura less of a luxury company...it makes them a more rounded company. Having a TSX or RSX in the line doesn't make the TL or CL any less of a car. Someone isn't going to say "I want a CL but...the RSX is so cheap...I better go with a 3 series instead."

What the RSX does do, is keep true to Acura's heritage...extremely well built, fast cars that won't cost you an arm and a leg. It's carrying the torch of the Integra, which helped build Acura.

That's exactly how i feel about it too, my first car was an integra gs-r and my perception of acura is that they are a dependable company that has a strong repuatation for building high quality cars that aren't going to cost an arm and a leg just like you said AcuraFan. It's only after you own an integra or rsx that you can see that it's not about keeping one image and sticking to it. it's about sticking to your reputation.
Old 01-07-2003 | 08:08 PM
Ricky: Drugs > Football

ehh, what he said. I believe, correct me if i'm wrong, that the rsx is built on the same or similar chassie as the civic, anyway the way i see it is that acura is more rounded. They needed something to replace their integra, now that their is alot bigger market for the 25k car (mazda 6, eclipse, stang) the tsx arrives to bridge the gap between the cl. I just hope that the tsx makes an s type version available soonafter, or that the roomer of the hybrid 420hp rl comes true.
Old 01-07-2003 | 08:32 PM
4th Gear

Hmmm. The RSX. Fun tin can. Let's see. Fast, handles absolutely great, nice quality sharp-looking interior, and the tranny doesn't blow up! Integra and now, the RSX is the backbone of Acura.
Old 01-07-2003 | 08:49 PM
The Creator

frankie. im not dissing the rsx... i love the car.

but if i had to drive one every day id shoot myself...

its very loud... raspy... and everything inside the car is VERY HARD.

it feels literally like your inside a tin can...

that handles awesome and is wicked fast.

btw... the tranny does blow up. not like ours... but ive had two friends with the 6spds go.

mostly due to abuse im sure. but theyll deny it
Old 01-08-2003 | 10:13 AM
Banned

soopa, you are right on, its much much cheaper as far as build quality than an acura should be (hell, even the CL and TL have their share of build-quality issues like rattles, etc)

the RSX is the backbone of the Acura line?? no way....id have to say its more of the Achillies Heel of the acura line than the backbone....

the RSX is a great car....as a HONDA....which is what it is in Japan...after all, the RSX is indeed meant to be a honda. but as an Acura, the RSX falls short of luxury in basically everyway. if Acura is Honda's Luxury brand they should treat it as such.

I can see the marketing strategy of making the RSX an Acura:

"lets make the Honda Integra an ACURA RSX in america, we can fool them into buying into the Luxury status and thinking they have a luxury car, young people will buy it in droves because they want a luxury image" and well, as far as i can see, it worked. The RSX is quickly becoming a very well supported and well respected car in the aftermarket but come on, no one can possibly think its LUXURY in any way, shape or form. and as far as i could tell Acura was supposed to equal Luxury, not cheap, fun modable tin can.

would the RSX sell better as a honda?? well, its hard to say, maybe if they knocked about 2 grand of the prices and got rid of some of the better features like the 6-disc in dash and crappy subwoofer in the Type S. it would make the car more obtainable to younger modders who the car is aimed at anyways...i bet it took alot of thought and desicion in the boardrooms of Acura and Honda to deside what angle to approach this new Integra/RSX....

on one hand, you want to attract people with the Acura name but on the other hand you dont want to alienate higher-end Acura buyers buy putting a little rice grinder in the fleet.
Old 01-08-2003 | 10:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by jimcol711

the RSX is a great car....as a HONDA....which is what it is in Japan...after all, the RSX is indeed meant to be a honda. but as an Acura, the RSX falls short of luxury in basically everyway. if Acura is Honda's Luxury brand they should treat it as such.

I can see the marketing strategy of making the RSX an Acura:

"lets make the Honda Integra an ACURA RSX in america, we can fool them into buying into the Luxury status and thinking they have a luxury car, young people will buy it in droves because they want a luxury image" and well, as far as i can see, it worked. The RSX is quickly becoming a very well supported and well respected car in the aftermarket but come on, no one can possibly think its LUXURY in any way, shape or form. and as far as i could tell Acura was supposed to equal Luxury, not cheap, fun modable tin can.

would the RSX sell better as a honda?? well, its hard to say, maybe if they knocked about 2 grand of the prices and got rid of some of the better features like the 6-disc in dash and crappy subwoofer in the Type S. it would make the car more obtainable to younger modders who the car is aimed at anyways...i bet it took alot of thought and desicion in the boardrooms of Acura and Honda to deside what angle to approach this new Integra/RSX....

on one hand, you want to attract people with the Acura name but on the other hand you dont want to alienate higher-end Acura buyers buy putting a little rice grinder in the fleet.
This is funny. You're getting upset with Acura because it's not the car company you want it to be. Acura is building the cars that it wants to...if you don't like it, tough. If RSX was supposed to be a Honda then guess what? It would be a Honda in the states...but it's not, it IS a higher class than Honda. The RSX is the BEST car in it's class. Why can't the best car in it's class come from a luxury company.

"as far as i could tell Acura was supposed to equal Luxury, not cheap, fun modable tin can." Acura isn't MB, it's not BMW, it's not even Lexus. Acura is about luxury, they are about cheap (re: value), they are about fun cars (including modable tin cans). You know how I know this? Because that's what they've been making almost since their inception.
What is Acura's longest running car? Integra. What is the most profitable car Acura has produced? Integra. Now, the RSX is continuing that tradition.

You asked if the RSX would sell better as a Honda? Who knows...but the funny thing is, you started mentioning luxury features that would have to be eliminated to be considered a Honda. Sorta like: "The RSX has no luxury, it should be a Honda. All you have to do is remove some of the luxury and it can be sold as a Honda."

Like it or not, Acura is making quality cars that are at the top or near the top in every class it competes, for thousands less. They make desireable cars affordable. That's what they do, that's what they've always done, that's what they'll continue to do. So deal with it.

Thanx.
Old 01-08-2003 | 11:02 AM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Originally posted by AcuraFan
This is funny. You're getting upset with Acura because it's not the car company you want it to be. Acura is building the cars that it wants to...if you don't like it, tough. If RSX was supposed to be a Honda then guess what? It would be a Honda in the states...but it's not, it IS a higher class than Honda. The RSX is the BEST car in it's class. Why can't the best car in it's class come from a luxury company.

"as far as i could tell Acura was supposed to equal Luxury, not cheap, fun modable tin can." Acura isn't MB, it's not BMW, it's not even Lexus. Acura is about luxury, they are about cheap (re: value), they are about fun cars (including modable tin cans). You know how I know this? Because that's what they've been making almost since their inception.
What is Acura's longest running car? Integra. What is the most profitable car Acura has produced? Integra. Now, the RSX is continuing that tradition.

You asked if the RSX would sell better as a Honda? Who knows...but the funny thing is, you started mentioning luxury features that would have to be eliminated to be considered a Honda. Sorta like: "The RSX has no luxury, it should be a Honda. All you have to do is remove some of the luxury and it can be sold as a Honda."

Like it or not, Acura is making quality cars that are at the top or near the top in every class it competes, for thousands less. They make desireable cars affordable. That's what they do, that's what they've always done, that's what they'll continue to do. So deal with it.

Thanx.

I couldn't agree w/u more....I had an integra before so I now what you are talking abt 1st hand...so if u think the rsx cheapens the acura image, what abt the c230k hb coupe from benz? Even MB admitted that car was designed to go head to head w/the rsx...additionally, if u go 2 benz forums, u see many peeps contemplating b/w the c230 and the rsx....trust me, if the bmw318 was a sales success, i'm pretty sure that it would still be in bmw's lineup today;but wait, there is talk of bmw bringing back the 1-series to compete against the c230 and the rsx, that should tell u something

It tells u that lux automakers are always searching 4 a product that will appeal 2 the younger buyer so that these younger buys will then buy another product of theirs...the rsx, c230 etc are all stepping stones to the other big-dogs in the automakers lineupsthat the automaker hopes that young consumer purchases down the line (i.e. e-class, 5series, tl, nsx etc.)
Old 01-08-2003 | 11:20 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by unsure

...the rsx, c230 etc are all stepping stones to the other big-dogs in the automakers lineupsthat the automaker hopes that young consumer purchases down the line (i.e. e-class, 5series, tl, nsx etc.)
I agree with this as well, my previous car was an integra too, and now i have a CL-S, i was happy with my integra because of it's quality and great performance. and that enticed me to go higher up and get a CL-S.

Hopefully my next stepping stone with be the NSX!