What are your opinions and rankings of the 3 Japanese Luxury makes

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 07:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
i think acura beat lexus in the overall ranking. lexus design team should be ashame of themselves. the new convertable lexus likes like the mini-solora, the other model looks like toyota camary or watever. lexus looks like toyota for god knows how long. acura tho .. only hting is the tsx looks like euro accord. which is kinda ok bc we cant get teh euro accord. the lexus tho .. yo ucan ge tboth in teh states.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xaznperswaesonx
i think acura beat lexus in the overall ranking. lexus design team should be ashame of themselves. the new convertable lexus likes like the mini-solora, the other model looks like toyota camary or watever. lexus looks like toyota for god knows how long. acura tho .. only hting is the tsx looks like euro accord. which is kinda ok bc we cant get teh euro accord. the lexus tho .. yo ucan ge tboth in teh states.
ahhhh..my brain my brain, i must've killed a few million brain cells reading what you attempted to write.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gocubsgo55
Yeah the Germans are great with offering all the goodies in any of their cars, but for the high price. The Germans use wonderful materials throughout, especially VW/Audi. I remember test driving the Toureg, wow. What wonderful materials. And although the TSX has a great fit and finish (if ANYONE disagrees, i.e. Gilboman or Sicklex, read up on J.D. Power's Initial Quality awards, it came 1 point away from the LS430, not that I'm saying it's an LS430 by any means), the Toureg was more like an Audi. Unfortunatly, the Germans don't pay as much attention as they should on mechianical quality (again if anyone feels the need to debate, J.D. Power has some information they may want to see...) If you guys ever watch an episode of Top Gear dealing with a German car (save Porsche), they sometimes discuss how there is poor mechanical quality. The Top Gear "CL65 AMG" episode someone posted not too long ago included the host saying it came with "typical MB poor craftsmanship". But VW/Audi (and Porsche) material is the best, 2nd to Lexus.
nobody questions the fit and finish of the japanese automakers, TSX included, but only the materials used. i.e. u can put crap together wonderfully and have great fit and finish, but if the material used is crap, it doesnt mean much. not that i think acura uses total crap materials
Old 08-11-2004, 11:02 PM
ric
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jcg878
Well you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I've already stated that I prefer my TSX... I just think the Germans do the little things better and I hope Acura pays attention. Does anyone disagree with this?

I don't think the rear-view mirror is subjective - it is loose in the TSX, solid in the Passat. And GLX Passats do have real wood trim. Ours stickered for $30,600 but we didn't pay that.

Just thought of a couple more things I like on the Passat:

4. Heated mirrors that auto-fold
5. Tip down right mirror when backing up
6. Rear sunscreen

The TSX does some things better too, lots of them in fact. And I have real concerns about the Passat's longevity.
How shocking that German cars would feel German, and Japanese feel Japanese:

Ultimately "better" is going to be a really slippery subjective concept here, so if you say it is better by South Jersey standards, then so be it.......... I note that the Germans provided me with a Jetta that had heated mirrors that clogged with refrozen ice in Philadelphia' swing temperatures, the right mirror did turn down but not the left (apparently assuming that all parallel parking would be on the right, forever, always, always _ I tried to get my councilman to reverse the side of the street that I parked on before I moved into a highrise, I really did, but I didn't succeed.....), and yes - yes - I did get a dab of real wood on the dashboard. Unfortunately, it did not look as realistic as some fake woods that I've seen........ or work with as an architect - but I drove being reassured by the sober integrity of the dashboard's design just because I knew it was real wood, I suppose...... if only the electrical system had the same integrity. My leather seats in the fully loaded Jetta GLX were not as comfortable or as side-bolstered as the TSX (subjective opinion, admittedly), and frankly, the interior design of the Jetta and the Passat I found to be busy, not visually integrated, and a little - well - Teutonic - even heavy handed (subjective, admittedly) .

I also fail to understand why all of that Teutonic obsessive design brilliance could not figure out how to mount a 6-CD changer in the dashboard rather than as an afterthought in the trunk, and neither the Passat or the Jetta achieved a remotely acceptable solution to the beverage holder; the Jetta's is particularly designed to render your beverage at the same temperature as the air coming out of the center outlets, and when the cupholder is in use, the controls of the radio are hidden. The Passat's was just plain dumb in the year that my partner leased one; beverages were forever careening out onto the legs of the passenger, because the cupholder really did not hold the cup..... The absence of a proper center bolster and storage bin was just a waste of space, a thoughtlessness in cars of that size - either the Passat or Jetta. .

I frankly think someone in the Acura design "boiled down" dashboard and interior design to the point that it is deceptively simple and easy to see/use/feel and is far more straightforward than the VW lineup. I suspect that the primary design intent of the VW interiors is to cause one to focus longingly on the rather more suavely detailed Audi lineup..... an aesthetic bait-and-switch. If you were to compare the TSX dashboard and interior to the beauties of the reductivist Bauhaus fittings of the Audi TT, I might be swayed by the "nicer" arguement, but not the Passat or Jetta! I would also suggest that the beauty of any car begins to pall after the third or fourth tow job....... and were I you, I would try to immolate that Passat at about 50,000 miles and take the insurance money and run...........................
Old 08-11-2004, 11:48 PM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This has got to be one of the worst posts in the history of the internet. The RX 300/330 has been the best selling, most reliable car in it's class since 1999. That is the year it debuted and won SUV of the year and created the luxury car based SUV. The RX 330 just won most reliable SUV with the Infiniti FX 2nd.
In comparison, the MDX just had a tranny recall.
Oh, come on 1SICK...even you gotta admit that the latest iteration of the RX isn't up to snuff. Sure, it may be reliable, but the quality isn't there like the first generation. Yes, there are way more new nifty little features, but I don't think the vehicle is as well put-together. Just drove the neighbor's RX330 over to my house, and drove it over a rough surface--from the back I heard multiple rattles.

I remember reading on Clublexus owner's perspectives...sure, it's a reliable, well built car (comparatively speaking) but is it what it used to be? Also, is it a coincidence that the new model is built in Canada, eh?
Old 08-12-2004, 12:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gilboman
nobody questions the fit and finish of the japanese automakers, TSX included, but only the materials used. i.e. u can put crap together wonderfully and have great fit and finish, but if the material used is crap, it doesnt mean much. not that i think acura uses total crap materials

not like i think german automakers use crappy electronics
Old 08-12-2004, 01:44 AM
Instructor

"O4EUROACCORDTSX"

I'm new here but I've been reading a lot of post and I don't get why you sometimes have to bring up these comparisions among these companies. Some post you have seems to put down Acura/Honda in some way or hinting at it. Are you not satisfied with your car or something? Also, you jump up and act defendsive when something is mention that the TSX may not be that good and you seem to get very worried! Did you make the wrong decision buying this car? If you don't believe me just do a search on yourself and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Sample posts"

"man, this stinks, if my TSX is in for a recall, this will be my first and last Acura and my last Honda car ever.
/
my money will go to either Toyota/Lexus or Nissan/Infiniti if this is the case."

"of course it would be biast to say that our Acura will last the longest because all of us or mostly all of us are Honda/Acura buyers, but i hate to admit this, but Toyota/Lexus is still better quality than our beloved Honda/Acura."

"i guess the Japanese made TSX is still more reliable I think than any BMW, Mercedes, or Audi luxury cars am I right?"

I don't even know why I'm posting this maybe it's because I don't have a TSX and want one...anyhow just thought I'd bring it up!

Have a nice day
Old 08-12-2004, 01:53 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the site rivvin. I don't know what your post brings to the discussion but I'm glad you're here. I'm looking forward to your NEXT post.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:25 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gilboman
ahhhh..my brain my brain, i must've killed a few million brain cells reading what you attempted to write.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:48 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by ric
How shocking that German cars would feel German, and Japanese feel Japanese:

Ultimately "better" is going to be a really slippery subjective concept here, so if you say it is better by South Jersey standards, then so be it.......... I note that the Germans provided me with a Jetta that had heated mirrors that clogged with refrozen ice in Philadelphia' swing temperatures, the right mirror did turn down but not the left (apparently assuming that all parallel parking would be on the right, forever, always, always _ I tried to get my councilman to reverse the side of the street that I parked on before I moved into a highrise, I really did, but I didn't succeed.....), and yes - yes - I did get a dab of real wood on the dashboard. Unfortunately, it did not look as realistic as some fake woods that I've seen........ or work with as an architect - but I drove being reassured by the sober integrity of the dashboard's design just because I knew it was real wood, I suppose...... if only the electrical system had the same integrity. My leather seats in the fully loaded Jetta GLX were not as comfortable or as side-bolstered as the TSX (subjective opinion, admittedly), and frankly, the interior design of the Jetta and the Passat I found to be busy, not visually integrated, and a little - well - Teutonic - even heavy handed (subjective, admittedly) .

I also fail to understand why all of that Teutonic obsessive design brilliance could not figure out how to mount a 6-CD changer in the dashboard rather than as an afterthought in the trunk, and neither the Passat or the Jetta achieved a remotely acceptable solution to the beverage holder; the Jetta's is particularly designed to render your beverage at the same temperature as the air coming out of the center outlets, and when the cupholder is in use, the controls of the radio are hidden. The Passat's was just plain dumb in the year that my partner leased one; beverages were forever careening out onto the legs of the passenger, because the cupholder really did not hold the cup..... The absence of a proper center bolster and storage bin was just a waste of space, a thoughtlessness in cars of that size - either the Passat or Jetta. .

I frankly think someone in the Acura design "boiled down" dashboard and interior design to the point that it is deceptively simple and easy to see/use/feel and is far more straightforward than the VW lineup. I suspect that the primary design intent of the VW interiors is to cause one to focus longingly on the rather more suavely detailed Audi lineup..... an aesthetic bait-and-switch. If you were to compare the TSX dashboard and interior to the beauties of the reductivist Bauhaus fittings of the Audi TT, I might be swayed by the "nicer" arguement, but not the Passat or Jetta! I would also suggest that the beauty of any car begins to pall after the third or fourth tow job....... and were I you, I would try to immolate that Passat at about 50,000 miles and take the insurance money and run...........................
All I meant is that the little things that make a car feel luxurious are done better on the Passat. Period. I'm going to say for the third.. fourth...? time that I prefer my TSX to my wife's Passat, though it's the latter that feels more luxurious. Anyone who would spend a little time in each car would agree. Acura, being a upscale company, should take note of the little things that make you say 'gee, look what my car does' every now and again.

That's it. That's my point. Funny that all this came from me responding to a clueless noob attacking me for a post written 5 months ago
Old 08-12-2004, 08:48 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by rivvin
"O4EUROACCORDTSX"

I'm new here but I've been reading a lot of post and I don't get why you sometimes have to bring up these comparisions among these companies. Some post you have seems to put down Acura/Honda in some way or hinting at it. Are you not satisfied with your car or something? Also, you jump up and act defendsive when something is mention that the TSX may not be that good and you seem to get very worried! Did you make the wrong decision buying this car? If you don't believe me just do a search on yourself and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Sample posts"

"man, this stinks, if my TSX is in for a recall, this will be my first and last Acura and my last Honda car ever.
/
my money will go to either Toyota/Lexus or Nissan/Infiniti if this is the case."

"of course it would be biast to say that our Acura will last the longest because all of us or mostly all of us are Honda/Acura buyers, but i hate to admit this, but Toyota/Lexus is still better quality than our beloved Honda/Acura."

"i guess the Japanese made TSX is still more reliable I think than any BMW, Mercedes, or Audi luxury cars am I right?"

I don't even know why I'm posting this maybe it's because I don't have a TSX and want one...anyhow just thought I'd bring it up!

Have a nice day
I think we scared him away weeks ago... maybe this post will bring him back
Old 08-12-2004, 09:28 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
He's still on everyday browsing regularly.

For some reason he's stopped posting.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:48 PM
I love my G sedan

I just give my personal, overall rankings of all the luxury brands you can find in the U.S.

1. Lexus(LS430, RX330, IS300)
1. BMW(M3, 3-series coupe, 3-series sedan, 5-series, X3)
1. Infiniti(G35 sedan, G35 coupe, FX)
1. Acura(TSX, TL, RSX)
1. Mercedes-Benz(E-class sedan, SL-class, CLK-class)
6. Audi(S4, A4)
7. Porsche(911)
8. Volvo(S40, XC90)
9. Cadillac(SRX)
10. Land Rover(Range Rover)
11. Jaguar(nothing)
12. Saab(nothing)
13. Lincoln(nothing)
Old 07-23-2006, 04:47 PM
Cruisin'

Best Japanese Cars

When I purchased my 2006 TL 5 a/t with Navi on 4/30/06 I traded in a 1992 Lexus LS 400 with 116K miles. I paid $44K US for the vehicle new in September 1992. I t was an incredibly reliable car for almost 14 years. The only major expense (except for normal services) was an air conditioning compressor at 105k miles and 11 years.
The vehicle was serviced only at the dealer I purchased it from. They were unbelievably professional any time I visited their dealership. Three months before I traded the vehicle I had to replace brakes on this car, for the SECOND time in over 100k of driving ( mostly city).
In 2002, my wife purchased an Acura MDX. It currently has 33k miles on it, and is just now going in for brakes for the first time.Only other issue was the recall for the transmission jet retrofit. Otherwise she loves the vehicle.
The technolgy on the Acura which is standard equipment sets the Acura line apart from Lexus (which builds wonderful vehicles) .