What right do I have ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 06:52 AM
Cruising in ATL!!

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry What right do I have ??

So I took my 03 CLS on Friday 12/1 to Hendrick Acura dealership here in Charlotte, NC to get my dashboard replace due to broken pieces to hold one of my vent under warranty. My first time experiencing w/ this dealer b/c I'm new to charlotte and so far they have treated me VERY well w/ giving me loaner to drive around, coordinating w/ me about status of my car ....etc. I recieved a call yesterday late afternoon to find out someone broken into my car for my aftermarket sound system (See my signature for equipment). I immediately went to the dealer to look at it and their service manager comes out to tell me over last weekend, total of 8 cars including mine have been broken into by individual who's been caught. He was mainly going for any aftermarket sound system and I'm one of the unlucky SOB. So I looked at my car and of course i'm missing my headunit, ipod that was in my glove department, amp and subwoofer in my trunk. (At least that's all I noticed as far as sound system). All my serivice record, insurance information was still there so yeah this guy wasn't going for other stuff I guess.

Wayne, Service Manager tells me they filled out police report for themselves already and as soon as I provide them w/ list of items that were present in my car they would add my name to the report and their insurance will cover it. Cover it?? meaning they will replace all the items (brand new supposely). They have aftermarket sound system installation shop nearby who will do all the work. As you can see, all the items that were in my car are no longer in production line. Of course he says, then he'll get one above it but he could have just said it to make me feel better.

I guess my question is, at this point what right do I have to claim anything?? For them just simply replace all the equipments that were in the car and call it a day, is that ACCEPTABLE?? Should I not expect any compensation for it whether it's money, future service or something?? All the wires were cut basically and I'm also worried if that would cause any problem. Anyways, sorry to make this long but I would realyl like to hear what can be done so I wouldn't walk away from this feeling I've been screwed.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:26 AM
Living the Dream

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts
I hate that for you. I purchased my car at Hendrick and have been nothing but pleased with their services. I'm glad for you that they're willing to pay for it, not all dealerships would do that without a fight.

I may be wrong here, but if you were to ask them to go over what they are replacing your items with, they should be fine with it. You may be able to recommend replacement parts. Also, if you let them install it, you should be able to get a warranty (try getting it for free) on the work so if anything goes wrong they'll fix it free of charge.

I doubt you'll get free services and the only way you'll be able to get money is if you ask for the monetary value of what was stolen. IThink of it this way: if it was stolen out of your driveway you'd be SOL.

Charlotte really is a nice town. Good luck
Old 12-06-2006, 08:35 AM
Cruising in ATL!!

Originally Posted by cmschmie
I hate that for you. I purchased my car at Hendrick and have been nothing but pleased with their services. I'm glad for you that they're willing to pay for it, not all dealerships would do that without a fight.

I may be wrong here, but if you were to ask them to go over what they are replacing your items with, they should be fine with it. You may be able to recommend replacement parts. Also, if you let them install it, you should be able to get a warranty (try getting it for free) on the work so if anything goes wrong they'll fix it free of charge.
well they claimed that they are willing to replace it w/ all brand new parts but now I'm questioning if he was just saying it to calm me down. I mean I was VERY pissed off last night. Had this car for close to three years since I bought it brand new and NOT ONCE did I have anything remotely close to this happened to my car.

Instead of going over the items, they are letting their vendors take care of it. Fielm (sp?) is supposed to be the one doing all the installation and putting equipments in it. I told them to verify w/ me before they place any items in there b/c chance of them finding brand new equipments that were orignially in my car are very slim. I had it since summer of last year and they are no longer in production. Spoke to Daphen, the lady I've dealt w/ since I dropped off my car, she makes it sound like she'll get it taken care of real quick but I don't know. We'll see what happens.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:44 AM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
What's the problem - they are willing to UPGRADE the parts (model) if they cannot find the exact model for replacement. This upsets you? I say you're lucky.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
I'm sure they are going to want some receipts to show what you have and that you didn't add anything to the list that wasn't really in the car.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:15 AM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just pick the current replacement for your items and show it to the dealership and be honest. If it doesnt work seek legal
Old 12-06-2006, 09:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
I don't see a problem here either. The dealers insurance is covering it. Your lucky they are even doing that. Most dealers have BIG signs that say they are not responsible for theft while at the dealer.
Just do what he says. It sounds like they are doing the right thing to me. They have a police report & it wasn't just you & the guy was caught.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
I don't see a problem here either. The dealers insurance is covering it. Your lucky they are even doing that. Most dealers have BIG signs that say they are not responsible for theft while at the dealer.
Just do what he says. It sounds like they are doing the right thing to me. They have a police report & it wasn't just you & the guy was caught.

I'm not seeing the problem here either. They (their insurance) is/are taking care of you by replacing anything and everything that was damaged and may possibly even be upgrading you for nothing! I'm not sure what else can or needs to be done here.

As far as what rights you have, again, if they are putting the car back to the condition it was in before the theft, you have no rights b/c that is all they need to do.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:50 AM
On the way!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't see a problem at all. The service manager and the dealership didn't break into your car. They are just stepping up and helping you get whole. You're walking out with brand new equipment.

They could have just point to a sign on their wall or a document you signed that stated that they are not responsible for lost of stolen items. Then where would you be?
Old 12-06-2006, 10:58 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The number one thing you should have done was get everything in writing.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:23 AM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What a bunch of bastards, they should buy you a new car.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:50 AM
I'm here in spirit...

Seems like they are doing the right thing to me.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:52 AM
Cruising in ATL!!

Am I lucky?? NO b/c if i was, I would be sitting here w/ my car the way it was when I dropped it off. Think of it this way, I've had my aftermarket sound system for about 18 months and every single time i make habit of taking out the faceplate and place it in my glove deparment JUST SO it won't be visible. (Keep in mind I have 20% tint so it's even more difficult to see) I never wanted to take risk of just leaving valuable things on sight and for past 18 months as annoying as it can be to remove faceplate EVERY SINGLE TIME I park my car, I did it just to be safe. And now I take it to ACURA dealer and due to their mistake of not locking every single cars in the lots I get broken into.

I'm not upset the fact that my equipment got lost because that can be replaced. You guys know DAMN WELL when those guys take out sound system, they aren't going to gently remove it. I noticed my wires are all cut to pieces who knows what else was yanked out of that car?????? I'm simply pissed off that my car (only property under my name) has been damaged by someone's mistake.

Received a call from dealer and their vendor this morning and they are replacing all the parts. Actually b/c all the existing equipments are no longer in production they are pretty much upgrading.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:55 AM
Cruising in ATL!!

They are expecting everything to be completed by tomorrow. Hopefully everything will work out just fine.

I admit, their level of service is excellent. I can tell they are trying to earn my business back and to be quiet frank, I would most likely go back for services.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:02 PM
Kenpachi Teichou

Lets make sure I get this right...

1. They're replacing everything free of charge.

2. The replacement parts are the same or better than what you had.

3. A professional shop is doing the replacement (and you're worried about mangled wires?).

4. You want additional money (what makes you deserve extra money?). Perhaps you should sue them for every penny they've got ... those bastards....

Well, looks like it's time for my professional opinion ... so here goes:

Shit happens. Quit whining like a little bitch.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by baboya96
Am I lucky?? NO b/c if i was, I would be sitting here w/ my car the way it was when I dropped it off.
But Acura didn't break into your car! Why are you upset with them? Why not point your anger in the right direction: the person(s) who actually brought into your car and damaged it.

Think of it this way, I've had my aftermarket sound system for about 18 months and every single time i make habit of taking out the faceplate and place it in my glove deparment JUST SO it won't be visible.
So did you do this before leaving the car with them? Did you ask them to do it for you? Is it really their responsibility to do that for you?

And now I take it to ACURA dealer and due to their mistake of not locking every single cars in the lots I get broken into.
Did they admit to you that they forgot to lock 8+ cars on the lot and that was the reason why each and every one of those cars in particular was targeted or broken into? If you can prove, or they admitted that the car was not locked, I can see how that would be negligent on their part. But they are rectifying the problem, and that is the right thing for them to do, if that was the case.

I'm not upset the fact that my equipment got lost because that can be replaced.
Perfect.

I'm simply pissed off that my car (only property under my name) has been damaged by someone's mistake.
I can understand that you feel angry that your car was vandalized by someone who had no right to. That makes total sense.

If you want to be 100% safe, the only way you can ensure this never happens again is to NEVER leave the car for service without you sitting in the waiting area until it's done. That means taking time off work or school and just waiting around while they work so the car never sits in their lot. Does that work for you? It definitely works for some people. If so, there's a solution.

Also, make sure you sit with it each time you park it in any public parking lot, the mall, in your driveway, in your garage, on the street, etc....cuz people can break into a car ANYWHERE if they really want to. Sometimes, there's just nothing you can do to prevent - you can only try your hardest.

Oh yeah...and those public lots --- usually they're not held responsible for ANY damage or theft, so maybe be glad it HAS worked out this way for you.....your items are being replaced AND UPGRADED free of charge.

Again, if you're angry, at least be angry at the thieves, not Acura. THEY are helping you.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:01 PM
Cruising in ATL!!

Originally Posted by oneilc
Shit happens. Quit whining like a little bitch.
I can't wait till something like this happens to you and see what you would do about it.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:02 PM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
Sorry, they are willing to replace everything with brand new parts and you are looking for some additional compensation. That's a dick thing to do if you ask me....and you did ask for our opinion.

I think they are doing their best to take care of the problem. I would be pissed if they told you that they were only going to replace it with a stock system, but this is not the case.

My advice....allow them to apologize, say thanks, and leave.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:04 PM
Team Owner

I can't wait till something like this happens to you and see what you would do about it.
You asked us to give our opinion....don't be pissy when you get some brutal honesty.

I had a small dent put into my CL at a dealership. They repaired it. I didn't ask them for free oil changes.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:06 PM
Cruising in ATL!!

Yes I did put away my faceplate when I left the car. After doing it for 18 months, sometimes it's just natural instinct to do it even then I still get my stuff stolen.

Why am I upset at Acura Dealership for this? Because it's THEM who left the car unlocked and they do admit, they are SUPPOSED to lock it but it doesn't always get done. I'm sure some of the employees are responsible for it rather than service manager but nothing I can do about it. However I do admit, if everything works out the way he described it to be, I would be quiet pleased w/ their fast turn-around on getting the car back to its original condition. I guess I would have to wait till tomorrow to find out if they are true to their words. So far, I can't just sit here and believe EVERYTHING they are saying until I see it for myself.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:08 PM
Cruising in ATL!!

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
You asked us to give our opinion....don't be pissy when you get some brutal honesty.

I had a small dent put into my CL at a dealership. They repaired it. I didn't ask them for free oil changes.
Look I understand this is public forum and sometimes ppl have smart things to say. I'm okay w/ that, but if you go back to my original post, I was asking for what rights do I have? I don't know how stuff like this works. May be it's possible that there is additional right as consumer to proceed w/ dealerships for situations like this and if so, I wanted to hear it. Chance is something like this happened to SOMEBODY on this forum and if so, I wanted to learn how they took care of it.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:13 PM
I'm here in spirit...

You are ASSUMING they didn't lock the car. You have no idea. I can promise you that I could easily get into your car with my slim-jim and you'd never know I was there. I think you're being an asshole about the whole thing and you should relax and let them take care of it like they said they would. You strike me as one of those people who are never happy with anything and you're always trying to hustle a dollar out of someone. Relax dude, you're getting all new equipment, you should be happy.

EDIT: As for your rights, well.... You have a right to do whatever you want and they have the right to do whatever THEY want. Get over it.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Team Owner

Look I understand this is public forum and sometimes ppl have smart things to say. I'm okay w/ that, but if you go back to my original post, I was asking for what rights do I have? I don't know how stuff like this works. May be it's possible that there is additional right as consumer to proceed w/ dealerships for situations like this and if so, I wanted to hear it. Chance is something like this happened to SOMEBODY on this forum and if so, I wanted to learn how they took care of it.
It happened to me. Read my post about denting my car. It happened to a friend of mine. They had an ION stolen from the dealership and when it was recovered the dealership offerred to clean it for them. You are getting a decent deal. Shit happens. The fact that they are not giving you a tough time is a good thing. They could have easily told you that they will give you a stock system back and have you fight it out with your own insurance company. They didn't. I'm sure if you keep taking your car there, they will take care of you in the future.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:17 PM
The Boss

I'd say you have the right to exercise being lucky. The fact that the dealership is willing to cover everything and upgrade your system... you should be happy
Old 12-06-2006, 01:17 PM
Cruising in ATL!!

My advice....allow them to apologize, say thanks, and leave.
That is what i'm planning on doing. Once I get my car back tomorrow (hopefully) I'm gonna take a good look at all the work done to my car and if everything looks fine I'll thank them for quick-turn-around. There's no need for me to say anything to them at this point as I'm sure they are losing aLOT of money for it. From what i heard their insurance covers $2500 per car and others were porsche and beemers. Anyways, I do appreciate them for taking care of me but still this could have been prevented easily.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:20 PM
I'm here in spirit...

but still this could have been prevented easily.
Again, how do you know?
Old 12-06-2006, 01:22 PM

Anyways, I do appreciate them for taking care of me but still this could have been prevented easily.
I understand your frustration if they told you that they did not lock the car. Could it have been prevented? - MAYBE! It depends on how badly someone really wanted into your car! Sure it's harder to break into if it's locked, but it's definitely not impossible! Ever think they only targeted your car cuz it didn't look stock and had some upgrades that would be lucrative for them to steal, and not just cuz the door was possibly left unlocked? Look at the other cars that were broken into --- high end cars. Were all their locks left unlocked too? Who knows. Probably not all 8. But they chose those cars for a reason. And well, they lucked out....they got some really nice stereo equipment. You're lucky too! It's being replaced without a hassle or any charge to you or YOUR insurance.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:27 PM
Cruising in ATL!!

Dont' get me wrong if everything works out the way he described to be, I would be quiet pleased w/ all the equipments that I'll be driving away w/. HOWEVER, like I said before nothing like this EVER happened to my car before. I admit shit happens, but shit hasn't happened for 36 months I had this car and just once when it's not in my possession SHIT DOES HAPPEN. And you expect me to just sit back and feel lucky that I'm being taken care of w/o feeling any anger. Come on!! put urself in my shoes. I never even had any minor accident on my car.

As for leaving my car unlocked, you are right that's somethign I COULD never prove but it's soely their responsbility b/c it DID happen in their private property.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:31 PM
Cruising in ATL!!

This is all business. I'm THEIR customer and they are working to satisfy their customers just like I do everything i can to please my customers when my business is involved. Them replacing all the equipment is right thing to do at least in my opinion b/c it did take place under their possession, however for me I was expecting little more whether it's free service or whatnot to earn my business back. Luckily for them, their coordination skill w/ their customers have impressed me enough that I would gladly go back. Not to mention it's only Acura dealer in Charlotte, NC but that's a different story.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:33 PM
Team Owner

Not to mention it's only Acura dealer in Charlotte, NC but that's a different story.
Since they are the only one, there really is no incentive for them to go above and beyond. I mean, what are you going to do....drive 2 hours for service. Sounds more and more like they did good.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:40 PM

Dont' get me wrong if everything works out the way he described to be, I would be quiet pleased w/ all the equipments that I'll be driving away w/. HOWEVER, like I said before nothing like this EVER happened to my car before. I admit shit happens, but shit hasn't happened for 36 months I had this car and just once when it's not in my possession SHIT DOES HAPPEN.
And you know what, sometimes it's just bound to happen, whether it's now or when you're 53 years old, driving something else. No one COUNTS on having their car broken into. You can't control someone else's behaviour. If someone is looking to break into a car, they will. You can make it REALLY hard for them, but you can't really ever control whether they do or not. Just like collisions and accidents: Before the first one, yes, you're right --- it's never happened before! But then it did!

And you expect me to just sit back and feel lucky that I'm being taken care of w/o feeling any anger.
Umm yeah! Be happy everything is coming back to you in a reasonable, timely fashion, without any out-of-pocket expense, or endless hours of arguing and phone calls to convince them to do it!!

Do I expect you not to feel angry? Of course not!!! I'd be angry too --- but at the thieves who took it upon themselves to touch MY property!! Whether the car was left unlocked or not, THEY touched and stole MY property and had no business going into my car. Would an upstanding citizen ever go into someone else's car or home even if the door was left wide open? No, cuz they have a conscience that tells them it's not theirs, and they have no right to invade someone's property like that. Angry at Acura? Maybe.....but THEY didn't steal your stuff - they are rectifying the situation above and beyond!

As for leaving my car unlocked, you are right that's somethign I COULD never prove but it's soely their responsbility b/c it DID happen in their private property.
Right. So you can't prove it was left unlocked. They are off the hook in that sense. Yes, it is private property, but what do you expect?! Do you expect them to have 24hr/7 day a week guards watching the lot, guard dogs, invisible mines planted throughout the parking lot.....?! That's what they have locked gates and insurance for.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:52 PM
Cruising in ATL!!

Since they are the only one, there really is no incentive for them to go above and beyond. I mean, what are you going to do....drive 2 hours for service. Sounds more and more like they did good.
I sincerely hope they aren't trying to play monopoly here. I rather think they are just trying their best to take of their customers. But you are right, it's quiet possible.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:56 PM
I'm here in spirit...

Old 12-06-2006, 01:59 PM
Cruising in ATL!!

Street Spirit,

I appreciate for your comments. I admit, I started writing this thread when things weren't so clear and come to think of it may be I was overacting a bit. But yea, let's hope when I get my car back I woudl be somewhat pleased w/ the result. Actually, last time I was in there for engine oil change, they checked my brakes and it was 90% good for front and 30$ for rear. May be ask for discount?????
Old 12-06-2006, 02:00 PM
Cruising in ATL!!

Originally Posted by Lord Helmet
Sorry don't get it.. but it's okay.. i'm sure it's not worth it
Old 12-06-2006, 02:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Yeah it's sucks.....
I had the same thing happen & I got nothing from the Chrysler dealer except a sorry & a few oil changes. I had a police report, didn't matter. They were not liable cause they clearly stated this on the lot.

So it's working out for you, that's GREAT!!! Be happy & put it behind you. It's life man, crap happens! Get used to it.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:25 PM
Team Owner

That's great.

Amazing how they are beating that horse that appears to be dead.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:28 PM
I'm here in spirit...

That's great.

Amazing how they are beating that horse that appears to be dead.
Thats my new 2nd favorite.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:22 PM
Race Director

I also use hendrick acura and I found they are a GREAT Acura dealer they have been so nice and helpful to me. I would go back again in a heartbeat. Also be glad you are getting a brand new upgrade so in kind of worked out for the better.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:04 PM
Without a garage

yup, that smily pretty much covers it.