What car that has been out for over a year that died.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 11:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonster
The Acura CL was last made in 2003, and was discontinued due to lack of sales...

Yeah, you bring up a good point. I think we're a little confused about the purpose of this thread. Are we talking about cars they killed or cars that were desappointments because of styling. I guess if it's the styling issue, we have another thread going about the ugliest cars.

So, even though I like the look of the CL, you're right, it died because of lack of sales.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:46 AM
Outnumbered at home

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nissan cars in general

maxima (last model was just awesome and it swelled into a jellybean boat)

Altima is just as plain and jellybean as the maxima
Old 05-02-2005, 12:59 PM
ric
Safety Car

Volvo P-1800 ES; a two-door sports coupe with a fastback, sometimes referred to as a shooting brake - took a beautiful but slightly awkward body style for the roadster and turned it into a beautiful styling exercise. The sports wagon was produced for just two years, in 70 and 71, I believe.

The Jensen Interceptor which was manufactured in England, but with a Chrysler engine, was a powerful car. The 6.2 litre engine had a top speed of just under 200 mph, the car had an early version of awd, and the interior, as befitting a Brit car was very sumptuous. The exterior betrayed certain Italian themes, and the car had a sleek body well beyond the times.... They were manufactured for about ten years, struggling every year.
http://home.hiwaay.net/~tjhiggin/hwystar.html gives you an image of one, but the production volumes were so low, and the slight variations on the design theme so varied that there are not a lot of duplicates out there of any particular model. These cars had a brief but glorious history by those who wanted a sleek body and enormous power in what was, essentially, a two-seater of enormous proportions.

The French produced an equally gorgeously bodied car, also powered by a US power plant, called the Facel Vega, for a total of about ten years, through the early '60's. They had an oddly French concept of opulence, and the interiors were stunning, the body sleek, particularly given the time. They became a "conspicuous consumption' car.
http://www.motorbase.com/manufacturer/by-id/35 gives some history and some images

And my personal favorite, the Lincoln Continental Mark II '56. These were conspicuously absent of chrome, unique for the time. The car was a coupe, and was originally derived from studies commissioned by Edsel Ford for a car that his wife could tool around in. They were enormously expensive, more than the $10,000 price tag that the car sold for, and they endured a brief run. However, the styling set the stage for the subsequent understated "razor edge Lincolns" of the late '50's and early '60's, one of hte most successful large-body car designs out there. This is an ad for one, but the photos are good
http://www.yesterdays-cars.com/car623/car623.htm

and there was the dream of Buckminster Fuller, the futurist of his time, who designed an extraordiary car, unique in its combination of sleek body and sheer uglyness. Three prototypes were made. http://www.washedashore.com/projects.../pictures.html For the late '20's and early '30's, this teardrop design that resembled a dirigable (then being considered for commercial air transport) never got past the prototype stage. It was a three-wheeler, and had a remarkable coefficient with truly limited drag.

for the epic of no-sale, one could look at the Bugatti Royale, developed by Ettiore Bugatti after a dinner companion told him that Bugattis were certainly noble racing cars, but certainly not luxury cars. So he set out to build the most luxurious running frame possible. THe car was powered by a 13 litre straight eight, needed to move the 3.5 Ton chassis with body. A total of six were made, each with a different custom body shaped by the specifications of the owner, so no two were alike. Bugatti hoped that it would replace the Rolls, Daimler and other high end cars for moving heads of state, but the only head of state who purchased one was, I believe, King Carol of Roumania, soon to be living in exile. The car had a production run from 1927 t0 1933. Here is a url tag http://www.ktsmotorsportsgarage.com/quiz/quiz13.html but the pictures don't do it justice. You have to see the Royale next to another car - it made the Packards of the time look like a compact.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:06 PM
Big up ya self, BO!

I think most of you will disagree with me on this, but I prefer the 1996 300zx twin turbo to the current 350z. As a kid, I always wanted a 300zx, so I guess that's why I prefer its looks over the new design. Not that I don't like the new 350z, I just prefer the 300zx's looks, not to mention more power and t-tops
Old 05-03-2005, 05:45 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
eclipse is pretty bad