Went to look at a G8 . . .

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 01:15 PM
Some dude

Received 347 Likes on 203 Posts
Originally Posted by AMGala
plus I'd tell corporate!
I couldn't find en email address for GM in general so I emailed Buick since its also a Buick dealership and the same thing can happen to someone looking for one of their cars. I would have sent one to Pontiac, but I doubt they have anyone even checking those emails anymore. They don't even have a dedicated customer service email from what I can tell.

Originally Posted by phee
do you think it had anything to do with your age?
ive noticed that some acura dealers treat me poorly while my older friends have nothing but good experiences.
I think so. Maybe since I'm younger he thought I would jump and do a dance when he presented his "great offer" and wouldn't question him about it have 7,000 miles or that another dealership would probably have one with 7 miles on it for the exact same price or similar miles for a lot less.

Originally Posted by JS + MS3
Maybe, when I bought my 05 TL back in 2004, I was 19. I had money ready in my wallet and went to Cerritos Acura. I told the salemen that I wanted to purchase a brand new TL. He was like "are you serious? get the fuck out, you young punk".

I walked out immediately and went to Weir Canyon Acura. They treated me well, so I bought the car. I headed back to Cerritos Acura and stared at this salemen who gave me the attitude. He was like .

stupid noob ass.

plus, i was immature. lol
Wow. I did drive a couple TL's and a '07 Type S at one dealership. I did go there with my friend who had purchased a '09 MDX from them last year so the experience was fine. But this makes me wonder if I had driven up in my '96 RL if they would have just written me off right away and been jerks.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:21 PM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
You'd think they'd be kissing up to us...the buyers! All sales guys are a little tense these days. Congrats in the purchase!
Old 01-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
^ , but the OP did the best thing possible.... kept his cool and took his money elsewhere!!
Old 01-04-2010, 01:51 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Wow.

But in the end it worked out for the best.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:43 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Back in 99 i went to my local pontiac dealership to pick up the then new Grand Am GT, and the sales guy laughed me off. He told me that i can't afford it, "just get in a sunfire sedan." I was like "no", i want a Grand Am GT, and he flat out told me "no, you cant afford it." I got up and left the dealer pissed as hell, but kept my cool. A few weeks later, i spotted a white 99 TL with navi and body kit for $29995 at a local Acura dealership. I fell in love instantly and bought the car. That same day i went to the pontiac dealership and grabbed a brochure for the grand am GT. The same sales guy comes up and says, "we are offering a triple 0's lease on the car. Now you can afford it." I looked at him and said "nah, i already got a car." And he was like, "oh yeah, what did you get?" I pointed at my TL and his jaw dropped. i told him that i paid a little over 30 with taxes, and that i would've purchased the GT had he not have been such a dick. I said it loud enough for his employees to hear it. It was great. I took the brochure for a Trans Am and told him that I might be back for one of those. He said, "no problem man, anything you need, just call."
Old 01-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
That guy sounded like a fucking tard.

Although, honestly, I would have already left after waiting for 10 minutes, let alone 30 minutes... WTF!
Old 01-04-2010, 02:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by bigman
Back in 99 i went to my local pontiac dealership to pick up the then new Grand Am GT, and the sales guy laughed me off. He told me that i can't afford it, "just get in a sunfire sedan." I was like "no", i want a Grand Am GT, and he flat out told me "no, you cant afford it." I got up and left the dealer pissed as hell, but kept my cool. A few weeks later, i spotted a white 99 TL with navi and body kit for $29995 at a local Acura dealership. I fell in love instantly and bought the car. That same day i went to the pontiac dealership and grabbed a brochure for the grand am GT. The same sales guy comes up and says, "we are offering a triple 0's lease on the car. Now you can afford it." I looked at him and said "nah, i already got a car." And he was like, "oh yeah, what did you get?" I pointed at my TL and his jaw dropped. i told him that i paid a little over 30 with taxes, and that i would've purchased the GT had he not have been such a dick. I said it loud enough for his employees to hear it. It was great. I took the brochure for a Trans Am and told him that I might be back for one of those. He said, "no problem man, anything you need, just call."
LOL.. did something similar. Was looking at a Mitsu Eclipse back in the late 90's. I was in the dealership for about 30 minutes looking at cars, sitting in them, etc... and not one person came to help me... and there were many available sales people. On the way out one of the sales guys, while smoking a cigarette out front, asked me if I needed anything as I'm getting into my car. Told him I waited too long, no one paid me any attention, and I was leaving. A few weeks later I bought my CL brand new from the Acura dealer on 119. I drove back to the Mitsu dealer, found the guy who was outside and gave him the brochure back. Told him I didn't need it anymore b/c I received great service from Acura, then pointed to the car. He just looked at it glassy eyed. Like you, I said it loud enough for other employees and customers to hear, gave him the brochure, and just walked out. Felt great
Old 01-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,966 Likes on 14,484 Posts
Dude...dealerships these days...
I know times are tough but people don't forget experiences like this.
I recently went into the Acura dealership to inquire on a type S 6 speed I'd seen online...mind you I have an 04 manual so I'm not terrribly inclined to trade...just curious. The moron had the nerve to question my decision to buy my car and I must have paid too much, MADE me show them how much I owe on it before appraisal (next time, this ain't happening)...really just very insulting.

The boss called me the next day to see why I didn't buy...I had no problem telling him that I woudln't be made to feel that way and I probably wouldn't do business with them if I WERE in the market for a car.

Aholes...
Pushy or insulting doesn't get a sale for me. Nothing I want to buy is that pressing. I can wait for a better deal or a better seller.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
The main issue here is that some of these sales people see it almost as a tactic to act like the customer isn't there or to keep them waiting, the problem is that it sometimes works...younger buyer looking for car, salesman acts like they can't afford it, younger buyer then proves he can afford it and gets ripped off big time once they get him in the box...overall it's a pathetic and losing strategy as many will not return after walking out. If I ever have to wait more than five minutes I'm getting up and walking even if it's just out to the lot to kick tires or across the street to another dealers lot.

Here's a good read on how to deal with the dealer if anyone is interested. Confessions of a Used Car Salesman: http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying...2/article.html
Old 01-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Wow...there are some great dealership stories in here. As I said before, it's amazing some of these places can even keep the lights on.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:46 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,966 Likes on 14,484 Posts
Mcflyguy...
Dude, you are so right...in addition to being a prick...the salesman kept going back to get him etc.
I got to the point that I said, hey, I'm not playing games here...just give me my stuff back...
They were holding my keys and license for ransom. I work for customer service and I was like "is this really happening"...I'm the customer, what could be more important?
Old 01-04-2010, 08:16 PM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Unfortunately I have seen this type of attitude far too often when I worked in the industry years ago.

What also pisses me off is just how little respect and product knowledge a lot of these guys have.

Last month I was in my Acura dealer looking at a 6MT TL and my salesman was poorly dressed and spent about 5mins trying to show me how the rear seat folded down (and yes i know they dont fold down). He then had had the GM of the dealership (who was walking by dressed in ripped blue jeans and a old blue sweater with stains on it) take another couple mins trying to fold down the rear seat before someone finally told them it didnt (I was trying so hard not to laugh it was unbearable).

I was actually embarrassed for the dealership being this was suppose to be a luxury dealer/brand with the way this place was run and its appearance.

What do these guys do when there not busy and have made all their sales follow ups etc??? You would think they would sit in their own products and become knowledgeable with them.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:02 PM
Some dude

Finally took some pictures before work this morning.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
nice!
I had the OWNER (owners son) of Haggerty Chevorlet tell my brother and I to get the fuck out of his store and bring our dad when we were serious about buying a car so we walked across the street to Packy Webb and bought a Ford Taurus (this is back in 92) and then drove back across the street to pick up our other car and went back in to show him our new car. He was speechless.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts
....aaaaand that is why GM went bankrupt...

They can build all the quality products they want, but when the dealers still live in the '80s, they'll never be successful...shame...

I'm not really a Vdub fan, but your GTI looks pretty slick...
Old 01-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But.....if u wanted a G8 (awesome car BTW), and you found the other one for only $20k, why didn't you at least go check it out?
RWD ftw
Old 01-08-2010, 08:33 AM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
Nice pickup!
Old 01-08-2010, 03:10 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Loseit
nice!
I had the OWNER (owners son) of Haggerty Chevorlet tell my brother and I to get the fuck out of his store and bring our dad when we were serious about buying a car so we walked across the street to Packy Webb and bought a Ford Taurus (this is back in 92) and then drove back across the street to pick up our other car and went back in to show him our new car. He was speechless.
You just never know who has money and who don't.

When I was 20, I went preliminary shopping for my dad when he wanted an SUV. Cadillac actually gave me the keys to an Escalade and let me and my younger brother out on our own. In retrospect, I think the lady just didn't want to bother with us, but nonetheless, we didn't get kicked out. He ended up buy a Yukon XL Denali, though.

When I was 21, I walked into Acura and they did not treat me as if I were a poor young kid. They were professional and only when it was time to sign the papers, was I asked whom the car was for.

Pontiac, on the other hand, tossed me a brochure and told me to come back with my parents. The salesman didn't want to waste a second of his time with me. When I DID show up with my mom (I was 17) with the full intention of buying a Trans Am WS6, two salesmen were tasked to us and they ran around looking across the state for the combination I wanted. Pathetic. I ended up not buying one, though. In retrospect, it was too much power and I was not responsible enough. Not buying that car probably saved my life.

When I was 23, I took my younger brother to the Audi dealership to test drive an A4 since he wanted to test drive one. The salesman wouldn't give us the time of his day. He said all the cars were parked at a remote location and no test drive would be given. What a pompous ass. As we got in my modified TL-S and left the parking lot, he was standing at the window with a "shit, I just missed a sale" look. Never went back to the asinine salesman or the dealership.

Last edited by Pure Adrenaline; 01-08-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:08 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,765 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by mcflyguy24
Here's a good read on how to deal with the dealer if anyone is interested. Confessions of a Used Car Salesman: http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying...2/article.html
Read that years ago. It's long very interesting and informative. Must read.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:02 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,852 Likes on 2,589 Posts
These stories always piss me off. And I sold for a short. Never treated anyone like that.

I dealt with some real morons when looking to buy my chally. Never had any encounters like that though.

Hell, I still keep in touch with my dealer, just went it for my first oil change today (and it was free) and hung out with my sales guy for 30 minutes shooting the shit. Just real nice people and real straight forward. Good service, too.

NEVER thought I would have ever bought an American car let alone say what I was getting great treatment from the service dept.

Glad you found a car you enjoy. Those new GTIs are tits!
Old 01-08-2010, 08:46 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Gti ftw
Old 01-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Some dude

Originally Posted by MiataNut
But.....if u wanted a G8 (awesome car BTW), and you found the other one for only $20k, why didn't you at least go check it out?
RWD ftw
The vw dealership is pretty close to my house so I figured I'd stop in and see what they had and once I test drove the new gti I couldn't see myself driving anything else.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:50 PM
Advanced

I would have jumped on that G8 for $20,000, if it really existed. That was a once in a lifetime opportunity! Where is it, maybe I will drive it home myself.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:06 PM
Advanced

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...mber=0&aff=aol

This is a pretty hot looking car for $20K
Old 01-12-2010, 10:56 AM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have been selling cars for about 5 years now and sold phones for verizon wireless for 3 years before I got into car sales.. I take evry customer young or old, to me I would rather be talking to someone if they are buying a car or not rather then sitting at my dest doing nuttin like I am now.. Funny Story.. There was a family that came in a few months ago a mom/dad daugter her husband and 2 kids.. The parents spoke no english so the daugther translated... They where looking at a QX56 for like 30 minutes I just finished helping someone but no one was helping the family so I figured why not, If the other 10 sales people refused to help them for 30 min they cant get mad at me for jumping on a "up" right after i finished with one.. Turns out they bought the truck CASH money $66K certified bank check and I made $2,000 commision on the one deal.. After that all the sales people got on me for taking the customer right after I finished with one.. Anouther thing is that almost every sales people refuse to deal with hasidics here cuz they say that they just come her to test drive the car , waste there time , and just go buy from a leasing company (broker) but I sold to one last week and after he left no one belived that he bought a car from me.. The reason he bought was because I treated him with respect and he was willing to pay the extra money for my services...
But I had one come in at 7:45 one nigh to drive a G37x and we close at 8PM. I said WTH and took him on a EXTENDED test drive , we got back at 8:15 and only my manager was here , I said strait up if your ready to make a deal tonight then come inside.. He said yes and came in I gave him a lease payen of like $509 and he said that his broker gave him $455 (which was a $1000 loser) and my manager actully matched it to see if he would buy it .. he says I am loyal to my Broker and will get from him ..After he tells me 15 minutes after closing that he is ready to buy a car from me today...
I know alot of sales people are di%ks, i work with like 5 of them .. But they are like that for a reason.. I loved dealing with people and the longer I am in the buesness I lose hope in people more and more..