Welp..... I got a TSX..........

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 05:31 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SiGGy
I've said the same thing before... seems underpowered. Car accelerates slow with 4 people in it too, especially at highway speeds.

I'd like to see a highway race with 4 people 325 vs. a TSX. (all 4 people close in total weight, meaning less than 20lbs total)

They might keep up with one another with just one person in the car. But I find it hard to believe the TSX is faster with the car fully loaded.
I agree. Its like the ratings are wrong or torque really is needed. The RL feels the same 300hp but feels like 230 or so. The TL on the other hand feels like it has 300
Old 03-18-2005, 06:17 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraGT-3
I agree. Its like the ratings are wrong or torque really is needed. The RL feels the same 300hp but feels like 230 or so. The TL on the other hand feels like it has 300

It's called weight! RL=4,030lbs TL=3,580lbs.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:21 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tireguy
the TSX is suprisingly spirited for a 4cyl non-turbo/supercharged engine.
tell that to my s2000

But to make a statement that it was unsafe to merge because the TSX is underpowered is a very ignorant statement. Have you driven a base Caravan lately? how about a cavalier?
no, and no

The TSX will feel like a F1 car after you drive them! Funny thing is that these "slow" cars don't seem to be a menace to the road(even when merging), maybe the driver was to aggressive with a car they didn't know well thus causing the close calls. But don't be foolish and say the TSX is to slow to merge with traffic safely.
I wasn't implying the TSX is an unsafe car. Just that I was expecting it to be quicker, and my expectations were not met.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:34 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by mrsteve
It's called weight! RL=4,030lbs TL=3,580lbs.
Some speculate it's more than that. The SH-AWD also saps some of the power.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:17 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Please don't turn this thread into another "6MT vs 5AT" war. PLEASE!

<--- who has seen too many similar threads at the old acura-tsx.com.

<--- who also SHIFT_Automatically.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:47 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MSZ

STFU

Old 03-19-2005, 12:55 AM
MSZ
Lola

STFU

:troutslap
Old 03-19-2005, 01:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MSZ

wait till the trout-slap dude sniffs out this thread
Old 03-19-2005, 08:52 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stock TSX is what it is. It's not a 4 door CLS and not sure why people must constantly evaluation it's peformance in those terms or even attempt to extract the same level of performance out of it. Hello, it's a mid level 4 banger not a v6 that is arguably still the second best in the Acura lineup. We've been spoiled with the j32. The TSX has an adequate engine for the purposes for car. The suspension is tuned light years ahead of any stock CLS and the same goes for the interior. I came close to trading in my CLS a few times for a 6MT TSX w/ navi because i wanted a car with a little pep and a little sport that was comfortable. Even the 6MT leaves alot to be desired in terms of gearing. Acura did a great job with the ratios on the 6MT but if you geared up the TSX the same way you'd have everybody and their mother complaining that it was just a 4 door RSX and it was buzzy and loud. In a few areas the CLS feels better than the TSX but the CLS stickered for more than the same TSX.

If you want a 4 door CLS than try a TL.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:58 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by fdl
I dunno, the 1/;4 times are almost identicle. Unless you meant with 4 people in the car.

When i test drove the TSX i also felt the 5at to be a bit of a dog, but the 6mt was a big improvement. IMO this car needs a manual tranny. I know some may disagree but to me the difference was significant.

Improvemnet, yes. Big, god no.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:55 AM
Doin' da crack shuffle

Originally Posted by Zapata
Stock TSX is what it is. It's not a 4 door CLS and not sure why people must constantly evaluation it's peformance in those terms or even attempt to extract the same level of performance out of it. Hello, it's a mid level 4 banger not a v6 that is arguably still the second best in the Acura lineup. We've been spoiled with the j32. The TSX has an adequate engine for the purposes for car. The suspension is tuned light years ahead of any stock CLS and the same goes for the interior. I came close to trading in my CLS a few times for a 6MT TSX w/ navi because i wanted a car with a little pep and a little sport that was comfortable. Even the 6MT leaves alot to be desired in terms of gearing. Acura did a great job with the ratios on the 6MT but if you geared up the TSX the same way you'd have everybody and their mother complaining that it was just a 4 door RSX and it was buzzy and loud. In a few areas the CLS feels better than the TSX but the CLS stickered for more than the same TSX.

If you want a 4 door CLS than try a TL.

Calm down Zap.

I didn't buy it. It was a loaner while the CL was in the shop..

I've never even driven a 4 cylinder car before.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BEETROOT

when I had a TSX loaner I almost killed myself merging into traffic too. I pulled out like normal, and realized I wasn't speeding up very fast. I floored it, but I still wasn't moving... guy behind me had to hit his brakes, I felt like a jackass.

then, coming into the first corner I almost flipped the bitch. it swayed way over the outside, I overcorrected and swung it a little too much before I got back in line. scared the shit out of my friend in the car with me. I guess I was used to the ct sways and drop on the cl.

on the other hand... it rode smooth as hell, and was almost silent. the doors closed with a soft thud instead of a bang like the cls. when I got back in my car, it felt a little junky.
bullshit. i drive a 94 accord coupe as a daily driver and with "only" 130hp, I dont have any trouble merging onto highways and such. And i KNOW that a TSX is much more powerful than that car (friend has one). Unless the car you drove was scrwed up I dont see how you could "floor it" and the car not respond well.

I've taken it through the twisties but havent pushed it too hard. But I can say that C&D calls it a sweet heart and praised the TSX and praised the TSX for its balanced handling. Maybe it the mods you have on your cl, but if both cars were stock, I'm sure you'd appreciate the the handling abilities of the TSX.

As someone else above said, the TSX has enough power for its price range, and I personally like having to rev that sweet sound 4, specially into the VTEC range, to extract max fun and power out of it. All this with a top notch interior and stellar gas mileage.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:06 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally Posted by Red-CL
Calm down Zap.

I didn't buy it. It was a loaner while the CL was in the shop..

not directed towards you like you said in your post it's the first time in a 4 cylinder.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:07 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

easy there beet's got point. Power curves in the TSX and CLS are very different. Up top the TSX doesn't have the power the CLS does and if you were attempting to merge in that RPM range you won't get much help.

Originally Posted by vishnus11
bullshit. i drive a 94 accord coupe as a daily driver and with "only" 130hp, I dont have any trouble merging onto highways and such. And i KNOW that a TSX is much more powerful than that car (friend has one). Unless the car you drove was scrwed up I dont see how you could "floor it" and the car not respond well.

I've taken it through the twisties but havent pushed it too hard. But I can say that C&D calls it a sweet heart and praised the TSX and praised the TSX for its balanced handling. Maybe it the mods you have on your cl, but if both cars were stock, I'm sure you'd appreciate the the handling abilities of the TSX.

As someone else above said, the TSX has enough power for its price range, and I personally like having to rev that sweet sound 4, specially into the VTEC range, to extract max fun and power out of it. All this with a top notch interior and stellar gas mileage.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:35 PM
Team Owner

I guess not all people enjoy TORQUE!
Old 03-19-2005, 12:36 PM
MSZ
Lola

I guess not all people enjoy TORQUE!
I guess not all people enjoy better gas mileage.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:39 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally Posted by MSZ
I guess not all people enjoy better gas mileage.

yep there are trade-offs but honestly the difference in MPG isn't much between the j32 and k24. You have some extremes on both ends but for the most part they are close. In the end, you can baby the k24 and get better MPG than similiar in the CLS.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:57 PM
MSZ
Lola

yep there are trade-offs but honestly the difference in MPG isn't much between the j32 and k24. You have some extremes on both ends but for the most part they are close. In the end, you can baby the k24 and get better MPG than similiar in the CLS.
Yes, I don't floor my TSX a lot. I get 30 to 32 MPG consistently, with the gas prices nowdays I am just fine with it.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:09 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally Posted by MSZ
Yes, I don't floor my TSX a lot. I get 30 to 32 MPG consistently, with the gas prices nowdays I am just fine with it.

Highway or City? yea the engine and cams definitely definitely allow for good MPGs numbers and i hear you with gas MPG.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Red-CL
that explains it,
...yeah definitely stay the fuck away from the little ones then or you're liable to some crazy accident. Go big !
Old 03-19-2005, 02:58 PM
Yeehaw

jesus fucking christ.

some of you guys.

i didn't say the car is too slow to safely pull into traffic. I said that I cut off someone a little because I expected better acceleration. then I went too hard into a turn, because I was used to the handling of my modded cls.

I'm not knocking the tsx, for a $27k 4 banger sedan, its a great car. It's just not much of a sports car.

Unless the car you drove was scrwed up I dont see how you could "floor it" and the car not respond well.
easy. ITS UNDERPOWERED
Old 03-19-2005, 03:10 PM
Banned

jesus fucking christ.

some of you guys.
man what did JC do to ya ? :shakehead
Old 03-19-2005, 04:43 PM
MSZ
Lola

Highway or City? yea the engine and cams definitely definitely allow for good MPGs numbers and i hear you with gas MPG.
40% highway/60% city.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:52 PM
foolio at heart

its all relative. If you're used to the power of a particular car, then you've got to make adjustments when driving a different car w/different handling and power.

I experienced the same thing when I had my s2k. Whenever I drove the s2k it felt so dang slow compared to my other cars. Even though, the s2k was technically supposed to be pretty quick, it felt like a dog to me. Even now, I laugh when I hear people refer to the s2k as fast.

I personally like the way the tsx drives. It feels very well balanced w/the appropriate motor for its chassis. Stock to stock the tsx chassis felt more solid and planted as compared to the cls IMO.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:58 PM
Yeehaw

Originally Posted by blxmjx
I experienced the same thing when I had my s2k. Whenever I drove the s2k it felt so dang slow compared to my other cars. Even though, the s2k was technically supposed to be pretty quick, it felt like a dog to me. Even now, I laugh when I hear people refer to the s2k as fast.

s2k is fast as hell. my s2k will leave my cls in the dust. what other cars are you comparing the s2k to?
Old 03-19-2005, 05:58 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,235 Likes on 824 Posts
I like mine
Old 03-19-2005, 06:03 PM
foolio at heart

s2k is fast as hell. my s2k will leave my cls in the dust. what other cars are you comparing the s2k to?
well, when i had the s2k. I had a highly modded s4 and a 370 awhp evo.

Now I have a c32 and an m5.

The s2k just didn't feel very fast to me unless it was wrung out to 9k. Low and mid range power was nil IMO.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:04 PM
Yeehaw

Originally Posted by blxmjx
well, when i had the s2k. I had a highly modded s4 and a 370 awhp evo.

Now I have a c32 and an m5.

The s2k just didn't feel very fast to me unless it was wrung out to 9k. Low and mid range power was nil IMO.

gee well my 10 speed doesn't feel very fast compared to my ducati either...
Old 03-19-2005, 06:07 PM
foolio at heart

gee well my 10 speed doesn't feel very fast compared to my ducati either...
Ya, its all subjective. Even though the s2k didn't feel quite as fast. The chassis and overall package is beautiful. You can whip that car around a corner and you'll know exactly what the car will do.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:30 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Ugh.. Sport Shift doesn't change the gear ratios, nor does it add a 6th gear...

Last time I checked, 6th gear isn't generally used for passing.

And yes, sportshift feature DOES allow you to keep the engine in the sweet spot of the powerband.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:55 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by PistonFan
Last time I checked, 6th gear isn't generally used for passing.

And yes, sportshift feature DOES allow you to keep the engine in the sweet spot of the powerband.

You are missing the point!

6MT is more efficient than the 5AT = more horsepower transfered to the wheels.
6MT has shorter gear ratios = revs quicker meaning you are in the powerband for a longer period of time. I know the SS allows you to hold it in the powerband, but once you upshift, you'll drop out of it.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:02 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
6MT is more efficient than the 5AT = more horsepower transfered to the wheels.
6MT has shorter gear ratios = revs quicker meaning you are in the powerband for a longer period of time. I know the SS allows you to hold it in the powerband, but once you upshift, you'll drop out of it.

I don't disagree with any of your above statements. My original reply was to simply state that sportshift does allow for holding a gear in a specified rev range.

IMO - there is not much difference between the 6MT and 5AT, just a personal observation after testing both and deciding to purchase the 5AT.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:55 AM
go like hell

Originally Posted by ClutchPerformer
A 4.8L V8 would be nice...

Are you listening Honda? I guess it doesn't matter if they are. It'll never happen...
that happen about when bush admits he's an asslicker
the thing is Hondas are known for revving the sh!t out of them to make HP and low torque. yes your making a ton of hp but not much torque. don't get me wrong i love hondas I have 3 but my complaint is, it's almost like a 2 stroke dirt bike you gotta rev it up to make hp. my friends when they drive my accord I tell them now "your gonna have to step on it a little heavier" like when you get on interstate or merge. but realize that when "V-TEC comes alive" you do make good HP. until then the car somewhat "dead."
this is what's killing the S2000 i feel. when i drove my buddys at a SCCA Solo2 event after driving CRX yes it is fast. but coming out of corners I felt like i had to keep the RPMS in the 6-8 k range to be in the "sweet spot"(which is a hell of lot higher than the CRX) but i think honda needs to "flatten" out that range.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:46 AM
Banned

I got a 2005 TL as a loaner. Nice, drove great, but I was hoping for a TSX.
I've been in the RSX and TL, but not the TSX, on the road.
TSX and TL inteiors are different but both great!
Old 03-21-2005, 10:10 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by PistonFan
IMO - there is not much difference between the 6MT and 5AT, just a personal observation after testing both and deciding to purchase the 5AT.

Dyno data proven, acceleration data proven. 6MT is faster than 5AT.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:11 AM

honda needs to put a turbo on the tsx, then we can stop all this bickering and all agree the TSX is the best
Old 03-21-2005, 10:12 AM
Yeehaw

welp, I got a TSX for my loaner today...

Old 03-21-2005, 10:14 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Dyno data proven, acceleration data proven. 6MT is faster than 5AT.

Which is the case in practically every car that offers an MT and AT option.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:43 AM
Doin' da crack shuffle

welp, I got a TSX for my loaner today...

@ Rootbeer
Old 03-21-2005, 11:02 AM
Yeehaw

I had my car at this inspection place yesterday, they said 3 of my motor mounts were broken. I asked how many motor mounts are there? They said 3.

That didn't make me feel very safe.