Volvo S40 T5 test driven!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 05:13 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volvo S40 T5 test driven!

Just test drove Volvo S40 T5, with Auto tranny. Dealer was very cooperative and test drove an S60 2.4T back to back.

Impressions:

S40 T5 rocks.
Excellent ergonomics
Nice fit & finish
Upscale materials
Great auto-manual transmission (says made in Japan)
Very eager engine
No rattles at all (but there were afew in the S60).
Sizewise appears 95% of S60, with more rear legroom!
Dealer says S40 with Stick will be out in a month. Must be more fun to drive.

Having double thoughts about the TSX now. Does anyone have experiences to share?
/
Thanks
Old 06-11-2004, 05:16 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
How did that funky center console with the flush-mounted telephone (OK, not really, but that's what the photos look like) work out for you?
Old 06-11-2004, 05:19 PM
Advanced

Reply to elduderino

Well, that was very simple I would say, not funky at all. I am not sure if you have noticed, but there is lot of empty space behind that panel. It may sound unusual, I suggest see it for yourself and feel that unique center console. I know Acura has been telling (their sales guys to tell the volvo prospective buyers) that S40 driver has to move sight away from the road to operate settings on that panel, but I had abs no problems at all, it was simply intuitive!
Old 06-11-2004, 05:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I'm not a fan of the volvo interiors. That new console layout looks rather gimmicky so I'm gonna have head out to the local volvo dealer to test drive it.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:29 PM
Advanced

for CGTSX2004

dear CDTSX2004 please post your experience after the test drive!
Old 06-11-2004, 05:49 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by pantji
dear CDTSX2004 please post your experience after the test drive!
Sure...I'll do it in the next few days.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:11 PM
The Voice of Reason

Having double thoughts about the TSX now. Does anyone have experiences to share?
/
Thanks
Yeah, there was the story of one of the very first 2004.5 S40s imported over at one of the Volvo boards that was an electrical nightmare and I think the dealer finally exchanged it for another new one! I'm seriously considering trading my TSX for a V50T5 or V50R (the wagon version) if/when it shows up but I think I'd best wait until they've exorcised all the poltergeists from the new design. I heard Volvo's gotten up to about the 3rd or 4th iteration of the software that controls the active suspension of the V70R so far. Scary. I still have my old T5 Volvo and I tend to drive it instead of the TSX but it's usually been a mistake to buy any new Volvo in it's first model year.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:23 PM
Racer

I test drove one a few weeks ago and thought I'd throw my $.02 out there:

First Impression: It's much smaller than I expected. I know the manufacturers specs say it has almost as much interior room as the TSX in almost every dimension, but it felt much more cramped. Not sure what to attribute it to, but it felt like a noticeably smaller car. The rear legroom was especially bad. I feel that I have much more room in my TSX with the seat all the way back.

Interior Impression: It's a nice interior, but it didn't blow me away like the first time I saw the TSX. Obviously this is a very subjective point, and some people will really like the look and layout of some cars better than others.

Driving Impression: Nice engine with good power. Handling was fairly crisp. My only main complaint was the sport-shift mode in the AT. I felt that the shifts had a noticeable lag compared to what I've gotten used to in the TSX. I still believe that the TSX SportShift is one of the best Auto's I've driven (never driven an SMG of true clutchless MT).

Overall Impression: I think it's a nice car, but overpriced. To equip one with the TSX level of amenities puts you over $32k if I remember correctly, I don't think it's worth the extra money. I would not seriously consider one if I was buying a car right now.

John
Old 06-11-2004, 07:56 PM
Race Director

it says made in japan because aren't the S40, Mazda3, and Focus all related?
Old 06-11-2004, 08:07 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
They all share the new European Focus platform.

Ah the wonders of platform sharing
Old 06-11-2004, 08:56 PM
Racer

I got the chance to drive the snot out of the S40 before their official US release during Volvo's promotional "S40 All Access Drive Experience" when they toured in Chicago back in April. Nice car. Beautiful exterior styling with nice lines but maybe a bit too small for a sports sedan, or perhaps maybe a little too "cutsey" for my taste, well at least my gf called it cute which counts as a big strike in my book. Handling was exceptional and very surprising for a Volvo. The interior had good build quality but not up to par with the TSX and VW/Audi interiors. What I really didn't like was the interior styling. Volvo has very ugly looking steering wheels and guage clusters IMO. I would never buy one for these reasons: Say if I were to buy one as a near-luxury "status" car, a Volvo was never really and still isn't such a car. It has more of a soccer mom stigma attached to it. But since I'm not, I would buy a well-equipped car like the S40 purely based on how well it drives. But thanks to platform sharing, I could instead buy a Mazda 3 with navigation and xenon and basically have just about the same level of equipment, with the same chassis and driving dynamics if not better since the Mazda is a little lighter and suspension is little sportier IMO. Why buy an S40 over a Mazda 3 when they essentially drive very similar with the same platform and the S40 affords no justifiable "step up" in luxury/image.

Conclusion, I still prefer the TSX by a long shot... and I'd even take a G35 over the S40 even if I have to deal with its crappy interior. The only thing that might sway me is if the T5 were to have all wheel drive available.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:42 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by bob shiftright
Yeah, there was the story of one of the very first 2004.5 S40s imported over at one of the Volvo boards that was an electrical nightmare and I think the dealer finally exchanged it for another new one! I'm seriously considering trading my TSX for a V50T5 or V50R (the wagon version) if/when it shows up but I think I'd best wait until they've exorcised all the poltergeists from the new design. I heard Volvo's gotten up to about the 3rd or 4th iteration of the software that controls the active suspension of the V70R so far. Scary. I still have my old T5 Volvo and I tend to drive it instead of the TSX but it's usually been a mistake to buy any new Volvo in it's first model year.
I would be happy if the V50 sells well and inspires Honda to bring over the Euro Accord Wagon... that would be an easy trade for an SUV substitute for me.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:51 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jcg878
I would be happy if the V50 sells well and inspires Honda to bring over the Euro Accord Wagon... that would be an easy trade for an SUV substitute for me.
I would love a TSX wagon.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:04 PM
Racer

T5 might be pretty quick but the car looks dinky and the interior sucks, especially when compared to TSX/TL/new RL. I don't care for it, don't even want to drive one. S60 is far better looking, inside and out (too bad it's overpriced).
Old 06-12-2004, 12:16 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
They all share the new European Focus platform.

Ah the wonders of platform sharing
No, this volvo is made in Belgium, I guess with the S60 in Gent. The japanese part I mentioned in the transmission. (This is what I remember reading in the car spec sheet on the window)
Old 06-12-2004, 12:20 AM
Race Director

well, like the guy said they share, obviously ford owns volvo, so ford mass produced the trannies in Japan, which is a good thing, now a ford and volvo have japanese made quality (IMO).
Old 06-12-2004, 01:10 AM
Team Owner

No, this volvo is made in Belgium, I guess with the S60 in Gent. The japanese part I mentioned in the transmission. (This is what I remember reading in the car spec sheet on the window)
The car is made in Belgium, true. However, the platform on which it is built is the global small car platform designed to underpin the new Ford Focus in Europe. This same platform is also shared with the Mazda 3. I would not be surprised if Mazda had a hand in procuring parts for Volvo from Japan.
Old 06-12-2004, 01:33 AM
I'm allergic to bull

Just test drove Volvo S40 T5, with Auto tranny. Dealer was very cooperative and test drove an S60 2.4T back to back.

Impressions:

S40 T5 rocks.
Excellent ergonomics
Nice fit & finish
Upscale materials
Very eager engine

/
Thanks

Here is a list of my impression:

TSX rocks
Excellent ergonomics
Nice fit & finish
Upscale materials
Great auto-manual transmission (no need to specifically say "made in Japan")
Very eager engine
No rattles at all (cuz dealers ain't dumb to setup a rattling demo).
Sizewise appears 95% of TL, and I don't really care about rear legroom!
Dealer says TSX with Stick is already here. Is more fun to drive.

Holy shit, can your list and mine be more similar?

Ok enough joke. I haven't driven a S40T5 yet, sure I'll love to try it. Stylewise, it suits my personal taste but not necessary others. It's probably not a bad car either. But moneywise, I will get a G35 or TL over a T5. Anyways, you should test drive a TSX and judge yourself.
Old 06-12-2004, 07:59 AM
! deadmau5 !

A word about cross-badging...

When I look at a Saab, I take mental points off for General Motors' ownership/control.

When I look at Mercedes, I associate the disastrous acquisition of Chrysler (still unfolding). So your MB will cost a bit more, and have a little less quality, because of those corporate actions. (Conversely if you're looking at Chrysler, the Crossfire's all-MB under the skin. But you can't get one. :-)

When I look at a Ford Volvo (S-40) with a certain unknown but large part built by Mazda, I think that at least from a design perspective it's probably not as coherently thought-out as when the car companies were separate. (Witness the comments above about the gauges.) The S-40 is a worthy competitor to the TSX. I'd wait for the second or third year to see what & how corrections are made. Remember, on a Ford you're going to have a big laundry list of "available options"... this would be an obvious marketing candidate for a convertible. You might be smarter saving your money and getting this year's Mustang <yecch> ... and buying Google stock with the remainder.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:38 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
I would love a TSX wagon.
Hmmm. Not really sporty looking - euro accord wagon that is.
They could have done better IMHO. Not sure if this is the latest model
though.

http://www.batfa.com/photo-newcar-ac...2004-front.htm
Old 06-12-2004, 11:08 AM
pby
Instructor

I've previously posted about the s40 T5 on this site somewhere (I'm too lazy to find the link) but let me give you an abbreviated version of my test drive a couple of months ago.

The exterior of the car was very impressive. Nice lines and just about the right size.

The interior was eye-catching, particularly the center console. The gauges, however, were very plain and rather dissapointing. The T5 engine definitely had some pep, but for some reason it wasn't much fun to drive. Not to mention the annoying pedals.

The dealer saw my expression after he gave me a price for an "adequately" loaded S40, and proceeded to show me an S60, 2.4T I think it was.

I'm sure the prices have dropped but the Volvo brand seems, at least to me, an acquired taste.
Old 06-12-2004, 11:53 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting points guys. My wife's next car may be a V50.
Old 06-12-2004, 01:11 PM
The Voice of Reason

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Volvos have been using Japanese-built Aisin-Warner automatics .. well, about "forever". At least since the 850 was introduced in 1992. The manual trannies are (were) built in-house in Sweden.

If you like to drive fast (as opposed to look like you drive fast) there is a very good reason to drive a Volvo station wagon. As for one of the stock, non-turbo Volvos, it's unexciting enough that I wouldn't even bother to look. Volvo has had the lion's share of the sleeper wagon market, at least in the US.

http://www.converseengineering.com/

CLICK for the C/D Article
Old 06-12-2004, 02:16 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Too small.
Old 06-12-2004, 02:52 PM
6MT Snob

I have driven both and would still take my TSX...
Old 06-12-2004, 05:51 PM
10th Gear

Wow! I JUST came from test-driving the S40 T5, too. I drove a TSX for the first time about a week ago and was very impressed. You are all obviously pretty familiar with the TSX, hehe, so here's my impressions on the S40:

-Stark interior. I like the cascading center console design, but I thought the rest of the interior was a little too minimalistic for me, especially the guages. The materials are top-notch, for sure, but it gave me the impression that I was driving the "base model" even though the one I drove was $32,000 and pretty much loaded. They just group all of the buttons together.

-Good power, negligible torque steer. Like posted above, the only transmission right now is the automatic. My dealership said he's getting 4 manuals in the first week of August. The manual has gotten good reviews from what I have read. The automatic was impressive, though- shifts well. The manu-matic function (I forget exactly what Volvo calls theirs) was a little difficult to use- it's a great action, but more than once I pushed back for a downshift only to not get one!

-I think the exterior is very attractive. Obviously that's a subjective point, but I think it's a terrific looking sedan. The one I drove had the bodykit, which makes a big difference, but definitely isn't worth the $2195 price!

-Steering was a little vague and overassisted. The TSX has a more natural steering feel. Ths S40 seems to grip well and handled nicely but I wasn't too impressed with the steering.

Overall, I think the TSX is a sportier drive. It has more driving personality than the S40, although the S40's design has more personality than the TSX. Style is important, but it's performance that really sells me. I liked the TSX more. Now I have to talk myself OUT of another SUV! :p
Old 06-12-2004, 09:34 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hooligan
Now I have to talk myself OUT of another SUV! :p
That shouldn't be too hard.
Old 06-13-2004, 04:26 AM
Battousai the Manslayer

Impressions:

S40 T5 rocks.
Excellent ergonomics
Nice fit & finish
Upscale materials
Very eager engine

/
Thanks
Yeah I drove one of those here in san diego and it is slow as hell. The salesman was like "floor it" and I told him I was....That doesn t leave a very good impression on me for the power of the car.
Old 06-13-2004, 07:18 PM
Banned

T5 = Risky !

I almost went for the T5 ! almost fell for the look alone. IMO, It has most "unique" look in the sector - it's not Japanses-looking, American-looking or even German-looking - I was also after the Volvo brand theme. (been driving Japanese all these years)

But at the last second I came back to the reliablility-to-the-bones Acura, and thank God for that!
My 0.02 :
Unless money is NOT an issue, IMO, one has gotta be crazy to choose T5 over TSX.
T5's predecessor, the S40 (pre-2004.5), has mediocre to bad rap, it was made in Holland.
This is the very FIRST year 2004.5 is made in Belgium....so I think it's "risky"

Similarly equipped it costs like 4K more....no way.
Old 06-13-2004, 07:28 PM
Team Owner

[QUOTE=bob shiftright]Volvos have been using Japanese-built Aisin-Warner automatics .. well, about "forever". At least since the 850 was introduced in 1992. The manual trannies are (were) built in-house in Sweden./QUOTE]

Ah...that makes sense. I was trying to think of which major tranny maker was based in Japan.
Old 06-13-2004, 07:30 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bob shiftright
Volvos have been using Japanese-built Aisin-Warner automatics .. well, about "forever". At least since the 850 was introduced in 1992. The manual trannies are (were) built in-house in Sweden.
Ah...that makes sense. I was trying to think of which major tranny maker was based in Japan.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:21 PM
10th Gear

I was just comparing the two brochures I picked up for the TSX and S40... the S40 is almost 10" shorter than the TSX! I was actually surprised at the length of the TSX considering it doesn't feel much bigger inside than the S40 and the trunk doesn't seem much longer. A lot of that length must be in bumpers and forward of the A-pillar.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:28 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Hooligan
I was just comparing the two brochures I picked up for the TSX and S40... the S40 is almost 10" shorter than the TSX! I was actually surprised at the length of the TSX considering it doesn't feel much bigger inside than the S40 and the trunk doesn't seem much longer. A lot of that length must be in bumpers and forward of the A-pillar.
Hmm...I just ran the comparison on the Acura website and the TSX is indeed 8+ inches longer than the S40. However, the interior room is almost identical, with the TSX giving more legroom due to the longer wheelbase. Judging by pictures of the TSX vs. the S40, I'd have agree with the assessment that the majority of the length appears forward of the A-pillar. The S40 looks almost snub-nosed in comparison to the TSX.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:18 AM
7th Gear

I'm still waiting to buy a new car soon. Right now I have the S40 on target. The TSX does not have memory seats. I really need this because both my wife and I will be driving the car. I'm still looking to see if the 2005 model TSX will have memory seats or not.

What I really liked about the S40 is that the engine cames on strong right off the bat. So you feel the push even at 1500rpm. Size is good for my wife. She is short so backing up is a problem for her in larger cars. If it wasn't the case I might have bought the TL.

Price does seem a little high. If you don't mind waiting a bit and want the cheapest price possible, check out OverSeas Delivery. You get round trip for 2 and one night stay at the radisson for free. Volvo gives you a tour of the factory and then presents you with your car. Volvo also pays for the shipment of you car back to the US. Here is the direct link to the OSD price OSD Price on Volvo S40. Still not as good as Acura but makes it a little easier to swallow.

Go to SwedeSpeed if you want to learn more.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:22 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by sexyTSX
If you don't mind waiting a bit and want the cheapest price possible, check out OverSeas Delivery. You get round trip for 2 and one night stay at the radisson for free. Volvo gives you a tour of the factory and then presents you with your car. Volvo also pays for the shipment of you car back to the US. Here is the direct link to the OSD price OSD Price on Volvo S40. Still not as good as Acura but makes it a little easier to swallow.
That's cool - I didn't know other European manufacturers did that (other than BMW, I mean).
Old 06-17-2004, 10:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Is the new S40 T5 came with the same 5-cylinder engine from S60? or it keep the Mazda3 engine? If the new S40 is just a Volvo version of Mazda3 then it might worth to give it a try. But if just carry the chassis from Mazda and all the engine, suspension, tranndy are from Volvo than STAY AWAY!
I used to have a 98 S70T5M, and it was no fun at all. It never break (but I just own it for 2 yr) but it was aging so fast(trimming falling off, peeling and loosen, rattles on everything)! the handling was so bad, the tranndy was so notchy and the engine was so rough! no fun to drive at all. Just like driving a tank!
Old 06-17-2004, 10:46 AM
Jewdacris!!

I think the only knock against the T5 is price, that is a lot of money for a "entry" level volvo. I love volvo's we have had two in the family and they both are champs. They last forever. And my moms does have some age to it but thats happened in the last 6 montsh to a year and the car already has 180000 miles on it and its a 98.

As far as the look of the new s40, its awesome, very appealing, i like the inside but i know it isnt for everyone. As far as driving i dont know but i want to drive one.

I just hope they make a S40R/S50R that would be insane, and prob be pretty quick handle well and all that good stuff.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:34 PM
Cruisin'

I have heard a variety of negative feedback on the Volvo S40 T5. Pick up the latest issue of European Car Magazine. It's built on the same platform as the Mazda 3 and the Ford Focus. Big complaints about severe understeer and torque steer. Not to mention the base price of $26,990, the base MSRP is easliy raised to $29,285 with a few options. The one I was checking out was well over $30,000. Buy a Jetta GLI with a 1.8T engine and save yourself the money.